Become a Patron!

Just what we don't need... more bad publicity

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I saw a quick news story on CNN (I don't watch it but my mother does) They said "vape shop fire caused multiple explosions and kills one "teenager" I found the full story on the internet (link below) It wasn't a vape shop, it was a warehouse that also had lots of other non-vape stuff but they also had many disposable vapes. It was caused by large butane cylinders (not used for vaping in any way!) One of the cylinders hit a "teen" (19 years old) half a block away and killed him. The problem is all people hear (just like I did until looking it up) is "vape shop", "fire", "explosions" and "teen killed. Why the fuck did they have to say vape shop? Anyway... here's the story:

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw a quick news story on CNN (I don't watch it but my mother does) They said "vape shop fire caused multiple explosions and kills one "teenager" I found the full story on the internet (link below) It wasn't a vape shop, it was a warehouse that also had lots of other non-vape stuff but they also had many disposable vapes. It was caused by large butane cylinders (not used for vaping in any way!) One of the cylinders hit a "teen" (19 years old) half a block away and killed him. The problem is all people hear (just like I did until looking it up) is "vape shop", "fire", "explosions" and "teen killed. Why the fuck did they have to say vape shop? Anyway... here's the story:
Often times they use the same tactics with news stories that may have guns somewhere but no cause or police where they make sure everyone knows the police were involved somehow but in both cases the firearm or the police had nothing to do with the injury or death but if it can push an agenda they will do it. Back when those contaminated thc cartridges were coming over from China, if the news on TV or print did say that it wasn't ones that were legally bought causing the problem it was always hidden in the story and same when they kind of said vaping doesn't cause popcorn lung. Even when they should have straight out said "we were wrong, we messed up, the real problem is this" they aren't going to do it

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The media has always used sensationalism and scare tactics to push an agenda whenever they could. Most of society has always been prone to knee-jerk reactions to such stories. Now (with internet media) the headlines are intentionally misleading click-bait. I used to be amazed at how many so-called news storied turned out to be advertisements for products.

I can't trust anything I hear anymore. If I hear about an important newsworthy event, I have to check at least 4 different news websites. We seriously need to bring back reporters like Walter Cronkite was. At least he didn't twist the facts around.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The media has always used sensationalism and scare tactics to push an agenda whenever they could. Most of society has always been prone to knee-jerk reactions to such stories. Now (with internet media) the headlines are intentionally misleading click-bait. I used to be amazed at how many so-called news storied turned out to be advertisements for products.

I can't trust anything I hear anymore. If I hear about an important newsworthy event, I have to check at least 4 different news websites. We seriously need to bring back reporters like Walter Cronkite was. At least he didn't twist the facts around.
Definitely, it's a strange world when you can get actual true news stories on social media and I'm not saying the news that is usually same politics as me are right since they do the same as the rest. It really is a sad state we are in. No matter what the news is always going to tear down vaping and most will believe anything they say. In this case they are back to blaming the battery but you never hear them talk about electric car fires and how they can burn for weeks even when submerged in water.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It wasn't the vapes, but of course any fire in a vape shop is not gonna end well...probably from illegal stuff going on...

Every vape shop around here is mostly aimed at 'other'....smh.

And OFC, there's this: https://katu.com/news/local/advocat...an-in-oregon-citing-youth-concerns-retailers-

Last edited:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it wasn't a vape shop, it was a head shop that also sold some vape stuff. But vape is the "public health crisis" that must be eliminated at all costs according to the ANTZ, so they focus on the word vape, knowing that when the follow up stories come out nobody will pay attention.

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We will never live down the EVALI thing... doesn't matter how much we or anyone explains it, the seed has been planted and continues to grow. Here's a good example of anti-vaping BS propoganda:
https://www.undo.org/exposed/big-to...BRmV7nV4OEITNHg9djy4CswvHL0PgxjBoC5DIQAvD_BwE
Yea EVALI is here to stay from what it seems, people just here one tiny thing about it and all of a sudden they are experts. 2 of my doctors are very happy that I'm vaping instead of 2-3 packs of smokes a day and I work as a paramedic and tell people if your doing it safely than I'd rather see them vape then smoke. I've has chest xrays that show my lungs have cleared up a great deal since I'm not smoking (plus another thing I'm not doing anymore). And I never tell someone it is healthy or anything but I do tell them it can be and is a safer alternative. I originally planned on quitting by now but I have moved down to 3mg freebase and only little problems in the beginning like wanting to chain vape but eventually I will get down to 0mg and I may continue at 0mg for the taste and it relaxes me or maybe I will just stop to save money.

Thanks for the added comedy, I used to love watching in living color especially fire marshal bill

VU Sponsors