Become a Patron!

Kayfun, which is the right choice?

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I want a Kayfun, I've ruled out the 2019 Lite. I am interested in the 5squared but am unsure if it's too airy? Can anyone tell me if the original 5 or the 5squared are restricted lung rta's? I know there's af control, but more concerned about chimney diameter. I don't want to buy one that's pure mtl, but am looking for a restricted to very restricted lung. How is the Prime, is it a true mtl or should I consider that?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies, for the money they cost, I just want to be educated before buying.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried the kf5 squared though it's been said to be more airy than the original v5. Granted I haven't used an authentic but the v5 in my opinion isn't mtl. Wide open it's ok as a restricted direct lung. The lower air settings I find awkward, too tight for restricted direct lung, too loose for proper mtl. Then again everyone vapes different. Phil Busardo for example is a mtl vaper but he seems to enjoy loose mtl vaping. It just makes me cough, like shit or get off the pot. Tight like a cig or loose enough to be restricted direct lung lol. The v4 was a lot better for mtl.

Again just my opinion but I don't believe there's any one size fits all swiss army atomizer that does mtl and direct lung well. If it claims to do both it usually sucks and doesn't do either well. Or more likely a direct lung or restricted direct lung. For a reference, not necessarily the vapor production or flavor, but cigalikes have a nice tight draw similar to smoking. So did the ego vape pens like the halo triton, ce4's etc. They have really narrow chimneys with the tiny high resistance (responsive) coil inside the chimney, no wide chamber. The air inlets were extremely small pin holes, but they're sucking straight air. Compared to a cig where puffing on one the air/smoke was drawn through packed tobacco and then through a restrictive filter. Vaping lacks that, instead it's more like a wide open straw. So air flow has to be super tight to mimic a proper mtl draw for me.

When I watch Phil vape he does this kind of primer puff or two, does a few mouth pulls back to back to back, then inhales. Like he's getting the vapor going and getting a mouthful before inhaling vs a single puff into the mouth, then inhale to the lungs like most people smoke. If you like a looser mtl you might like the original v5, if you're after a tighter mtl pull I'd say look for a v4. If it's restricted direct lung, consider the v5 wide open or the v5 squared (most open of the v4/v5/v5 2).

cheepshot

Member For 4 Years
For kicks, check out the Gatemouth Kayfun, there's a Youtube vid of it. The guy that makes them is from Kentucky and has a FB page as well as selling them from time to time on eBay. While researching it I found many articles about the airflow of the different models. I have the original Kayfun and it leaks to much, is a pain to take apart and looking to upgrade. With certain flavors it's irreplaceable but overall mine sits on the shelf. I'm looking at the Prime or the new one, there are many mods for it already. PEI Ultem domes, tips etc.. for cheap.

Egree

Member For 2 Years
If your looking for a tank thats very versatile check out the atmazoo tripod.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors