Become a Patron!

Keeping vape residue off of windshield?

AdmiralTrey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys, I'm a chain vaper and as a cop I often spend anywhere from 9 to 20 hours mostly in my patrol vehicle vaping. Over time this adds up and vapor residue builds up on the insides of my windows and windshield, which is obviously unsafe if not maintained. I roll my windows down when I can but the elements often make that a bad option, especially with winter coming.
Right now I typically use a spray degreaser called Purple Power and paper towels around once per week to keep everything clean and clear, but that gets old. Has anyone experimented with anything else? I was thinking something like Rain X might keep it from sticking for a much longer period of time but I wanted to hear others' wisdom before going that route in case there's a better way.

Thanks!

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There have been several threads on the subject but I don't think there's a consensus on what works best. I open my drivers window about 3/4 to 1 inch and turn on the defroster. It's not perfect but it helps blow the it away from the windshield and outside.

EDIT: just saw smokie's post good idea if you have a sun roof.

RCressler

Member For 4 Years
I drive truck and have had issues as well. Windex it's almost worthless to clean it off, but I stumbled onto Glass Plus. Cuts the film immediately, leaves no residue, and I even use it on paper towels to clean up juice spills and condensation around my rda and mod. For some reason, humidity plays a big part on how the vapor settles on things. Air conditioning send to let it stick more to the glass than a heater being on. Just things to think about.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made a home brew in a spray bottle.
4 parts vinegar
4 parts cheap vodka
2 parts witch hazel

Requires some elbow grease but gets it super clean.

Scrub with a terry cloth and finish with a paper towel.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey guys, I'm a chain vaper and as a cop I often spend anywhere from 9 to 20 hours mostly in my patrol vehicle vaping. Over time this adds up and vapor residue builds up on the insides of my windows and windshield, which is obviously unsafe if not maintained. I roll my windows down when I can but the elements often make that a bad option, especially with winter coming.
Right now I typically use a spray degreaser called Purple Power and paper towels around once per week to keep everything clean and clear, but that gets old. Has anyone experimented with anything else? I was thinking something like Rain X might keep it from sticking for a much longer period of time but I wanted to hear others' wisdom before going that route in case there's a better way.

Thanks!
I feel your pain. I too am a chain vapor. Except I drive a pick up and my windows will film over in a few day in winter. Nothing you are going to do, will stop the VG from sticking.

Cracking your windows open and running your defroster don't stop it either.

What I am trying to do is create something that will hold the paper towels and have a appropriate handle size, to clean the glass easier. For me that is what the PIA really is, trying to get the glass clean around the corners and rear view mirror.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
RainX window cleaner works really good for me , I find it puts a protective layer over the glass that at least makes it go longer with out having to clean them.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Thanks!
First, I want to thank you for your services to us, whom you stand for and protect. <3

I have heard using rain x is good but another thing I found awesome is the Windex with vinegar, not the original blue crap (that stuff doesn't even clean regular dirty windows :crazy: ). Or you could just make your own using water and vinegar mixed in a spray bottle. That works about as equally well as the vinegar windex. :):)

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This if funny
..was just going to ask about this...it's terrible and now that winter is here..... my windows are rolled up and filming up bad. I think I'll try the rain x cleaners

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AdmiralTrey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for all the replies; they give me some ideas on what works and doesn't work, now I've just got to experiment and see how it goes. I've been having to wash my windows every other day this week, which is strange because I don't remember it being this bad last winter. I think last year I was still vaping at around 30 watts on my RX200 though, and now I go between 50 or 60, so all the extra vapor must be making it way worse.

I drive truck and have had issues as well. Windex it's almost worthless to clean it off, but I stumbled onto Glass Plus. Cuts the film immediately, leaves no residue, and I even use it on paper towels to clean up juice spills and condensation around my rda and mod. For some reason, humidity plays a big part on how the vapor settles on things. Air conditioning send to let it stick more to the glass than a heater being on. Just things to think about.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Glass Plus? I haven't heard of it, but I'll definitely have to grab some and see if it works better. The problem with where I live in Georgia this time of year is I'm likely to use the AC and the heater every day during the same shift... That can't help matters either.

I feel your pain. I too am a chain vapor. Except I drive a pick up and my windows will film over in a few day in winter. Nothing you are going to do, will stop the VG from sticking.

Cracking your windows open and running your defroster don't stop it either.

What I am trying to do is create something that will hold the paper towels and have a appropriate handle size, to clean the glass easier. For me that is what the PIA really is, trying to get the glass clean around the corners and rear view mirror.

Yeah it's not as bad in the summer, although it does build up then too. And I'm with you 100% on the pain of cleaning around things... I've got an annoying radar detector and video camera monitor on my dash and I usually just leave the area behind them filmy because it's not worth it.

I don't think having the smell of vodka in a police vehicle would be a good idea, just saying. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Haha yeah I can see how that'd cause me some problems... Does weed clean windows? I could just use both and make my bosses really happy

First, I want to thank you for your services to us, whom you stand for and protect. <3

I have heard using rain x is good but another thing I found awesome is the Windex with vinegar, not the original blue crap (that stuff doesn't even clean regular dirty windows :crazy: ). Or you could just make your own using water and vinegar mixed in a spray bottle. That works about as equally well as the vinegar windex. :):)

Thank you for that! It's not something we hear often anymore... Does Windex make a product with added vinegar or do you add it to regular Windex yourself? Regular Windex is definitely terrible... I could barely tell a difference when I tried it. I think it might have slightly moved the film around but that was about it.

AdmiralTrey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
RainX window cleaner works really good for me , I find it puts a protective layer over the glass that at least makes it go longer with out having to clean them.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, so I don't have to spend the first 15 minutes of work cleaning my windows every other day. If it really does help with that, it's going to be what I go with

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As a guy who owns a window cleaning business, I'll just say this:

There are all kinds of sealants on the market, for sealing your glass. All those do is break surface tension and fill the micro pores of glass to stop "stuff" like hard water stains, from getting into those micro pores.

VG is like an oily film. No sealant will protect from that. Even rainX.

Personally, I think people who feel that it does help, are only convincing themselves that it does. Not that it actually helps. The science and my own experimentation, does not support their assumptions.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a guy who owns a window cleaning business, I'll just say this:

There are all kinds of sealants on the market, for sealing your glass. All those do is break surface tension and fill the micro pores of glass to stop "stuff" like hard water stains, from getting into those micro pores.

VG is like an oily film. No sealant will protect from that. Even rainX.

Personally, I think people who feel that it does help, are only convincing themselves that it does. Not that it actually helps. The science and my own experimentation, does not support their assumptions.

As a window cleaner by trade, what is your suggestion for a cleaner or cleaning process?

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cleaned one half of my windshield with windex. I cleaned the other half with rain x cleaner. The rain check cleaner cleaned the glass better than the windex, but it did not keep future vg off the glass.

I then put on rain x window defogger...this is supposed to keep glass from fogging up. This did not change a thing and was a waste of $5.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been using a solution of 80% isopropyl and 20% witch hazel. Works like a charm. I was using windex with decent results, but tried this out and it cuts right through.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As a follow up to my last post the last time I cleaned my glass I used a small squeegee and it cleaned the gunk right off. A quick wipe down of the glass and it's spotless. I put a towel over the dash to catch any drips.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have learned to accept foggy windows as part of my life. As a Mechanical Contractor I always have gas fireplace cleaner and paper towels in my truck. Gets the glass so clean for a few days I see rainbows in the glass till they start getting foggy again. LOL

Reactions: zui

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you for that! It's not something we hear often anymore... Does Windex make a product with added vinegar or do you add it to regular Windex yourself? Regular Windex is definitely terrible... I could barely tell a difference when I tried it. I think it might have slightly moved the film around but that was about it.
It is a product of windex... its clear, not blue. I even use the off brand, Dollar General version. Some of the best stuff I've personally found for cleaning my windows. :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure I have any better suggestions, cracking the window with the heat/def on would be mine. Even in poor weather the window cracked even a smidge combined with forced heat will usually blow most of it out. If the weather is super crappy try cracking the passenger window unless you have a partner who disapproves lol.

Rainx, eh, your mileage may vary on that one. I personally don't like rainx even on the outside of the windshield. It's great at first but tends to gunk up after awhile. The windex with the vinegar works decent. If using papertowels I'd suggest switching to microfiber towels, they're cheap and work better. (of course you have to wash them periodically).

This is a link to the windex vinegar product, should be available in most stores. Plus it's ammonia free. I worked in an auto shop for years and prefer to use ammonia free to avoid potential tint issues. Aftermarket tinting that isn't baked into the glass itself (like an oem pretinted option) will get some negative effects from ammonia cleaners.
https://www.amazon.com/Windex-Vinegar-Multi-Surface-Cleaner-Ounce/dp/B000NNGK30

The tufts of material on the microfiber cloths do a better job and getting rid of gunk and less tendency to leave streaks in my experience. I started off chasing streaks with papertowels re washing various windows again and again. Microfiber towels cut that time at least in half. Hope something helps cut down on the fogging.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so u get pulled over and the cop is like why did u mix vinegar with your vodka :crazy:

Let him give me an open container ticket.

I never drive after any more than 1 drink. Even then don't like to. So would just be a ticket. And I think the vinegar would sell the "I am not drinking this shit" story. If not, the breathalyzer will.

Try to keep legal these days. There was a time in my life when I would try to keep away from alerting police attention. But, I learned if ya don't break the law, really nothing to worry about.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As a window cleaner by trade, what is your suggestion for a cleaner or cleaning process?
On my own windows, I use pure water (ZERO TDS) or you can substitute distilled water, with the labeled amount of Glass Gleam 4. Mop up the window, and squeegee off.

The same can be used on car windows, but it's a pain in the ass to squeegee off the glass.

A squeegee will "cut" the film off when it's wetted with a mop. Paper towels and micro fiber towels get the VG film on them and then they start smearing it.

IF you didn't want to use or bother to buy the Glass Gleam 4, you can use vinegar and distilled water. It's "ok" but Glass Gleam 4 is a standard for many pro window cleaners.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The best window cleaner that leaves absolutely no streaks, 1 cup of vinegar in a two gallon pail of water. Apply with a cotton cloth and dry with bunched up newspaper. It costs about 25 cents to do two cars and a house. Adjust the volume according to your needs. Commercial glass cleaners don't perform anywhere near as well as they are supposed to or as well as vinegar and water. Most leave streaks and all are a waste of money. To clean mirrors I simply wet a clean face cloth and wipe. When it dries the mirror is spotless.

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The best window cleaner that leaves absolutely no streaks, 1 cup of vinegar in a two gallon pail of water. Apply with a cotton cloth and dry with bunched up newspaper. It costs about 25 cents do do two cars and a house. Adjust the volume according to your needs.Commercial glass cleaners don't perform anywhere near as well as they are supposed to or as well as vinegar and water. Most leave streaks and all are a waste of money. To clean mirrors I simply wet a clean face cloth and wipe. When it dries the mirror is spotless.
LOL. Professional glass cleaners, huh?

I have to laugh at some of the home remedy stuff. Vinegar is an "ok" cleaner, but it's not usually the best cleaner. All vinegar is, is mildly acidic. It helps break up organic material.

Professional cleaners work, when you use them correctly. But you don't normally find pro cleaners on the shelves of home depot either.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
LOL. Professional glass cleaners, huh?

I have to laugh at some of the home remedy stuff. Vinegar is an "ok" cleaner, but it's not usually the best cleaner. All vinegar is, is mildly acidic. It helps break up organic material.

Professional cleaners work, when you use them correctly. But you don't normally find pro cleaners on the shelves of home depot either.
Glass is glass. it doesn't matter if it's a car window or a 40' square glazing panel. The method of cleaning it will be the same. The only variable would be the type of dirt you're trying to clean. I suspect vinegar and water wouldn't do a lot to clean an oil refinery window, neither would Windex or Glass Plus. I vape in my car all the time and I used to smoke in my car too. The methods I've described have always worked for me. I would go you one on one with any industrial strength cleaner you can find against my vinegar and water to clean a car window with vape film on it. Your expensive industrial cleaner won't beat my vinegar and water. When the window is spotless, it's spotless and I guarantee my window will be spotless. Sheeple think that big business will provide a superior product because they're paying out their asses for it. My wife believes all those TV adds and buys advertised brands over generic brands. She buys the expensive glass cleaners to do the bathroom mirrors. Her mirror is always streaked with cleaner film. My mirror, I use a damp cloth, let it dry afterward and it has no streaks, no film, nothing. She says "How did you clean that?". When I tell her she can't believe that my plain water worked better than her $8 a bottle glass cleaner. That's all I have to say about it. do what you want.

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Glass is glass. it doesn't matter if it's a car window or a 40' square glazing panel. The method of cleaning it will be the same. The only variable would be the type of dirt you're trying to clean. I suspect vinegar and water wouldn't do a lot to clean an oil refinery window, neither would Windex or Glass Plus. I vape in my car all the time and I used to smoke in my car too. The methods I've described have always worked for me. I would go you one on one with any industrial strength cleaner you can find against my vinegar and water to clean a car window with vape film on it. Your expensive industrial cleaner won't beat my vinegar and water. When the window is spotless, it's spotless and I guarantee my window will be spotless. Sheeple think that big business will provide a superior product because they're paying out their asses for it.
What's even more funny, glass is not glass. There are all kinds of different types of glass, and you can't use the same methods to clean them all.

Tempered glass is the most common. But homes have untempered and leaded glass too, on occasion. Then you get into coatings on glass. Whole new ball of wax there.

Leaving anything other than zero TDS water on glass, does not leave it spotless. Science doesn't agree with you. And using wet newspaper, leaves behind the ink, even if you don't realize it. Wipe up right after the newspaper with a bright white cotton towel, and you'll see that.

Clean your glass however you want. However, your limited experience and limited knowledge don't prove anything. But they do show you talk out of your ass without a clue as to knowing what you are talking about.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I bow to "freemind". Apparently he's expert in types of glass and the myriad of cleaning methods employed to clean them. I'm sure, although to the naked eye, my glass may appear clean, it isn't. The fact that it's perfectly translucent to the naked eye doesn't mean that it will pass the microscopic examination. Apparently I'll need to get an expert in to determine what type of glass I have and then have him clean it professionally to get that microscopic clarity passing grade. I might not realize the difference when he's done, except that my pocketbook will be much lighter, but rest assured the glass will be clean enough to lay it down and perform surgery on it. I'll never clean a window again without first consulting a glass expert like freemind. Honey, cancel that order on Fasttech. I won't be able to afford that new mod after all. I'll need to get a professional glass person in to clean my car windows. What a twat! And that is my absolute final, final word on this.

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Actually, I AM AN EXPERT. I own a window cleaning business, have spent a lot of time getting education in glass, and spend a lot of time actually cleaning it.

I'm sure with your DIY experience, you know more than anyone else. I'm sure you've spent tons of time learning and ACTUALLY doing the work, not to mention the tons of money you likely have spent on tools, chemicals, and various other equipment.

I might know a thing or two more than you, based upon the fact I make more money an hour cleaning glass, then you do in your job. Most of my clients love my work so much, I clean their glass multiple times a year. I get called upon by my clients for consultations all the time for recommendations of windows, landscaping, and hard water removal, as well as repairs for scratch damage.

I AM the local glass expert.

But go on with your bad self. I'm sure you know it all. That's why you can't make the money I can with glass..........

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Okay children.......

As for the post.....

I just keep a front and back window cracked...

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was gonna add two things..
- is it possible for OP to reduce the amount/ratio of VG in your vape ? Would possibly make less residue plus less worry about a do-good granny calling the office thinking your cloud chuckin was suspected drug usage ?
- to clean the inside windshield easier, I have this plastic cleaning 'stick' with a pad on the end.. its just the right length to reach the bottom area w/o having to reach right in there with your hand/arm and you can clean the passenger side from the drivers seat. If you can find/make a gizmo like that, it might make the chore a little easier.

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[...] I wanted to hear others' wisdom before going that route in case there's a better way.

Thanks!

Well, AdmiralTrey, my sister often gets film on her car windows but it must be coming from something inside the car since she has never vaped or smoked.

When I am out in the field I vape unflavoured 50/50 PG/VG with 12 mg/ml nicotine. it has no odour, is water soluble, and easily wipes away with a damp cloth.

It used to be possible to buy a 12 volt electronic dehumidifier for cars and one of those should condense the vapour before it gets on the windows.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a follow up to my last post the last time I cleaned my glass I used a small squeegee and it cleaned the gunk right off. A quick wipe down of the glass and it's spotless. I put a towel over the dash to catch any drips.
This is what I do. But I just use the ones at the gas station when I stop. Clean the outside, clean the inside, use paper towels to wipe it down. 5 minutes. Done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thanks!
sounds like you completely adapt for what works lower the windows blow toward the side or maybe build a horn to blow it out the window like a Beethoven mod or something and sell it probably get rich

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Only way I found is to not vape in my car..even a MTL setup will film up the windows over time

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use soap and warm water to clean the interior of my windows. Just using windex or similar doesn't work. Actually, that's what the guy at the car wash does for me.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Only way I found is to not vape in my car..even a MTL setup will film up the windows over time

That would certainly prevent buildup, but there's no way I'm giving up vaping in my own car. Bad enough with the limitations in public already. I just turn up the air ventilation, open the window a few inches, and blow out the left side of my mouth. Or the right I guess if I were in the UK or somewhere else they drive on the wrong side of the road.:D

AndiPants

Member For 3 Years
I have always used mild tea (regular black tea) no sugar nothing else in an old spray bottle. Use newspaper wrapped around some sort of extender to get the pesky corners.

I learned this years ago from a show called "How Clean is Your House?"

Disposable, cheap, biodegradable.

~~Andi~~

I personally don't know of anything that will keep the VG from sticking to your windows. Being a truck driver, I have found a quick and simple way to clean the inside of the windows.
You can buy it at just about any auto parts store, Walmart, or truck stop. It's the "Peak" blue windshield washer fluid and antifreeze. The temperature resistance doesn't really matter for the cleaning part.
I pour it in a spray bottle and spray a liberal amount on the inside of the windshield and side windows. I then take a small (6"-8" long) squeegee with a short handle, like you would find at a convenience store gas pump, spray the fluid on the sponge scrubber side until soaked, then scrub the windows. Using a paper towel or any kind of clean rag, wipe the squeegee side dry, and squeegee the inside of the windows, just as you would the outside. Take a clean, dry paper towel and wipe off the corners where the squeegee didn't reach. You can do this in less time than it takes to read this.
Try it !!! It works well for me.
Good luck, and Blessings to you all !!!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
To keep Vapor Residue off the windshield, exhale out the window is 1st, 2nd use a cleaner like Armor All Glass cleaner, 3rd finish off with a Microfiber cleaning cloth. The reason I recommend this is because there is no Ammonia in it which is detrimental to your interior.

692bd7bd-57d8-42ff-b858-a6c7ad0ecadf_1.0bbb208a88e22d0dfe3273391caaf5f7.jpeg

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
Sprayway SW-050 . I use to own an automotive reconditioning shop and it's all we used after trying many products. You can check Amazon reviews on this product yourself. Just make sure not to use in direct sunlight when the weather is hot or it will dry too fast and leave streaks.

VU Sponsors