Become a Patron!

Kennedy 25mm rda is a $100 piece of crap and everyone who raves about it is lying to themselves.

archentity

Member For 1 Year
I hope the title grabs people's attention. Im pretty sure most people aren't lying about how great the Kennedy 25mm rda is when it comes to flavor. But my experience has been awful for a $100 rda. Im an experienced builder and I have tried all manners of coil sizes, placement, and wick lengths. Nothing fixes the horribly muted flavor. Its authentic, not a clone because I bought it directly from Kennedy Vapor's site. And its so infuriating to see nearly everyone say it gives amazing flavor only for mine to taste like a chimp built my Kennedy. If anyone has any advice im all ears.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What kind of coils did you try?

I don't have that RDA but never wanted it either. It does seem to have a good reputation. Maybe it just works better for people who build a certain way? I love Goons (the 24, & 25mm versions). I see people saying they suck which is crazy to me. We all like different things I guess. I just got back into mesh RDAs which I wasn't expecting at all.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I hope the title grabs people's attention. Im pretty sure most people aren't lying about how great the Kennedy 25mm rda is when it comes to flavor. But my experience has been awful for a $100 rda. Im an experienced builder and I have tried all manners of coil sizes, placement, and wick lengths. Nothing fixes the horribly muted flavor. Its authentic, not a clone because I bought it directly from Kennedy Vapor's site. And its so infuriating to see nearly everyone say it gives amazing flavor only for mine to taste like a chimp built my Kennedy. If anyone has any advice im all ears.
Well I'm certain I'm not lying to myself when I say that my Kennedy 25 gives me great flavor.

Why don't you start by listing your builds, coil i.d, material, wraps, ohms. Are you running it on a regulated device and if so, at what wattage?

I'm sure either me or someone else here can help with more details.

Last edited:

archentity

Member For 1 Year
Well I'm certain I'm not lying to myself when I say that my Kennedy 25 gives me great flavor.

Why don't you start by listing your builds, coil i.d, material, wraps, ohms. Are you running it on a regulated device and if so at what wattage?

I'm sure either me or someone else here can help with more details.
Alright, lets get to it!

I use a regulated mod and vape at 80 watts. I usually use triple core fused stainless steel clapton wire (28G x 3/36G) from advanced vape supply. I build dual 6 wraps at 3.0 ID which ohm out to around 0.15 ohms.

Ive tried other wire materials like kanthal and even tried round wire. No coil position that is possible on this rda works. And the cotton always gunks to oblivion within 2 or 3 days which has never happened on any rda ive ever used. Any ideas?

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Alright, lets get to it!

I use a regulated mod and vape at 80 watts. I usually use triple core fused stainless steel clapton wire (28G x 3/36G) from advanced vape supply. I build dual 6 wraps at 3.0 ID which ohm out to around 0.15 ohms.

Ive tried other wire materials like kanthal and even tried round wire. No coil position that is possible on this rda works. And the cotton always gunks to oblivion within 2 or 3 days which has never happened on any rda ive ever used. Any ideas?
The Kennedy likes power, with the set af and a .15 ohm build you may want to bump that up a bit. Whenever someone comes on here and complains about cotton gunking up too quickly it's usually because they're not using enough power, unless of course you've switched to a new high sugar juice.

I'll assume that you have your coils perfectly lined up above the air flow ports and have them slammed down close to the af?

My guess here is that if you bump up to 90W or maybe even a little more you'll start noticing a difference.

Ni80 gives me the best flavor and is all I use after years of trial and error. Not saying you can't get good flavor from SS, but for me personally that material always gave me the least flavor.

Last edited:

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Alright, lets get to it!

I only run my Kennedys on a Vindicator mech, if I put a .15 build in it with a fresh battery, I'm getting power that's equivalent to 118 watts.

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Without much info to go on, I was guessing underpowered coils. It's a sure fire way to get less than optimal flavor. Now that we know what you're using, I'd say yeah turn the power up. Next time omit a wrap (if you want). I rarely use more than 5 wraps these days but that's just me. You're resistance will go down, but you'll need less power (Which goes against the popular belief). People see resistance numbers and make assumptions about how much power is needed. It don't work that way. Resistance should be an afterthought unless you're using a mech and trying to target a certain number. Metal mass is a better indicator when trying to judge such things.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Just Frank makes a great point with number of wraps. You want to make sure the the two bottom af ports have full coverage with coil mass but I always run 5 wraps in mine. If you space your coils just slightly it spreads it out enough and for me, makes the flavor even better.

It took me fast forwarding through 4 videos on YouTube, but this guy builds his exactly as I do. Take note of the coil height, it's slammed down.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Just Frank makes a great point with number of wraps. You want to make sure the the two bottom af ports have full coverage with coil mass but I always run 5 wraps in mine. If you space your coils just slightly it spreads it out enough and for me, makes the flavor even better.

It took me fast forwarding through 4 videos on YouTube, but this guy builds his exactly as I do. Take note of the coil height, it's slammed down.

I build RTAs or my Nightmares the same way. I try to place my coils right above the air opening. I never bought a Tsunami which Ive always intended on doing. I have a Griffin 25 Plus which has Kennedy styled air tubes. It's probably my favorite Griffin of all to vape on..

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Put it on a 21700 mech. Js. Imho it is what it was designed to go on.
I get great flav n clouds from mine.

archentity

Member For 1 Year
Without much info to go on, I was guessing underpowered coils. It's a sure fire way to get less than optimal flavor. Now that we know what you're using, I'd say yeah turn the power up. Next time omit a wrap (if you want). I rarely use more than 5 wraps these days but that's just me. You're resistance will go down, but you'll need less power (Which goes against the popular belief). People see resistance numbers and make assumptions about how much power is needed. It don't work that way. Resistance should be an afterthought unless you're using a mech and trying to target a certain number. Metal mass is a better indicator when trying to judge such things.
I've used 5 wraps instead of 6 before but the flavor was still muted and it gunked up even faster.

archentity

Member For 1 Year

Ive used 5 instead of 6 wraps before and the flavor was still muted with the cotton gunking up even faster. The irony is that I normally build exactly the same way this guy builds in this video, even using the same mod I have now and still no luck. I did see he had his Diadic on Powerful mode so Ill try that now.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've used 5 wraps instead of 6 before but the flavor was still muted and it gunked up even faster.
That doesn't sound right but I'll take your word for it 😁. They should've been a bit more responsive to your power setting. I dunno, gunk is gonna happen if you use sweet liquid. I got into Jam Monster a couple of months ago, and I just deal with it.

archentity

Member For 1 Year
That doesn't sound right but I'll take your word for it 😁. They should've been a bit more responsive to your power setting. I dunno, gunk is gonna happen if you use sweet liquid. I got into Jam Monster a couple of months ago, and I just deal with it.
I know all about the gunk/sweetener dynamic. I'm a pretty experienced vaper/builder. I know sweeter flavors gunk up the coils faster, but they've never done it within 2 or 3 days. And I dont even use deserty or super sweet flavors anymore because of this. Right now Im using Nom flavors which never gunked up the coils on my OG Goon this fast.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know all about the gunk/sweetener dynamic. I'm a pretty experienced vaper/builder. I know sweeter flavors gunk up the coils faster, but they've never done it within 2 or 3 days. And I dont even use deserty or super sweet flavors anymore because of this. Right now Im using Nom flavors which never gunked up the coils on my OG Goon this fast.
Ive used 5 instead of 6 wraps before and the flavor was still muted with the cotton gunking up even faster. The irony is that I normally build exactly the same way this guy builds in this video, even using the same mod I have now and still no luck. I did see he had his Diadic on Powerful mode so Ill try that now.
If you're building like he did in that video and not getting flavor then you're definitely underpowered. Crank it up, it's what that rda was designed for.

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Put the mod in bypass if it has that option.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Flavor perception is not universal.

It’s truly different for everyone.

All we can do is give examples of what gave good flavor.

I like Kennedy RDAs, but for me they all kind of sucked except for the 22

I can get a good vape with good flavor from any of them (except 28) but there are better RDAs flavor wise for me personally out there.

I do love the air flow of Kennedy RDAs, it’s just about perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Flavor perception is not universal.

It’s truly different for everyone.

All we can do is give examples of what gave good flavor.

I like Kennedy RDAs, but for me they all kind of sucked except for the 22

I can get a good vape with good flavor from any of them (except 28) but there are better RDAs flavor wise for me personally out there.

I do love the air flow of Kennedy RDAs, it’s just about perfect

I can't argue with anything you said, although user error can contribute to the issue so making some recommendations "ie" more power like the Kennedy was made for seems reasonable.

You'll also notice that I said my 25 gives me great flavor, I didn't say the best ever. I also agree that there are better rda's out there for flavor, but in my opinion, if you're not getting any flavor out of the Kennedy you're definitely doing something wrong. People seem to either forget, or just don't know, that the Kennedy was designed for mech mods and big clouds, if someone is underpowering it on a regulated it's hardly fair to call it shit.

Last edited:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Where's @dubya314 , did I miss anything?
I don't think I have anything to add, you all seem to be covering anything I would have. I don't think I have ever had any of my Kennedy's on a regulated, so no help there. But I do build mine @.12, so they have plenty of power running through them. OP mentioned comparison to og Goon, and I put both of these very high on my list of flavor RDA's, being almost identical to me. Goons get more use from me, but only because if I can get that flavor without bottom af, why not? Kennedy's are more often home RDA's for me. I like the coils scary close to the tubes as well. My build in them is 25g N80 32g N80 FC, 3mm ID 5 wraps, fwiw

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't argue with anything you said, although user error can contribute to the issue so making some recommendations "ie" more power like the Kennedy was made for seems reasonable.

You'll also notice that I said my 25 gives me great flavor, I didn't say the best ever. I also agree that there are better rda's out there for flavor, but in my opinion, if you're not getting any flavor out of the Kennedy you're definitely doing something wrong. People seem to either forget or just don't know that the Kennedy was designed for mech mods and big clouds. If someone is underpowering it on a regulated it's hardly fair to call it shit.

Ok

Did I need to elaborate my above reply?

You had a lot of words as if I was attacking your position or those made previous.

Not sure where the shit part came from or did I miss the memo?

Edit: aha! Found it… fucking title

Last edited:

archentity

Member For 1 Year
Ive followed everyone's advice, including adding more power and pushing the coils closer to the airflow than I ever have before. The springiness of the coil only allows it to get to 1mm above the airflow. The flavor is better than before, but only by a little. Its less nuanced and more dull and blunt than my goon was. Maybe I need some good kanthal claptons instead of stainless steel ones.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Post pics of how you have it built. You r fukn the build up somewhere(we have all been there at least a time or 2. Lol).
May b the Kennedy 25 just isn't for you. Buy an asgard mini..

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Um is it just me or is there an extra wrap on the coil on the right?? That extra mass would totally explain why that side looks like shit, it's not heating like the side on the left with 5.5 wraps

archentity

Member For 1 Year
Um is it just me or is there an extra wrap on the coil on the right?? That extra mass would totally explain why that side looks like shit, it's not heating like the side on the left with 5.5 wraps
No, they're even. They're both 5.75 wraps with the 6th wrap bending upward to go into the post. The .75 wrap on the right is at the top while the .75 wrap on the left is at the bottom.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Screenshot_20220108-151009_Chrome.jpg
That coil on the right is clearly not getting the same power as the coil on the left. That's on you and your build. There's no disputing there's a problem there that is 100% not the rda's fault. Did you pulse that build to see that they both heated evenly?

archentity

Member For 1 Year
View attachment 189577
That coil on the right is clearly not getting the same power as the coil on the left. That's on you and your build. There's no disputing there's a problem there that is 100% not the rda's fault. Did you pulse that build to see that they both heated evenly?
Yes, as I always do. The only reason why one gunks up faster than the other in this build is because one of the wicks are slightly denser than the other, which has never fucked over the flavor in past rdas. Ive done dozens of builds where every variable is exactly the same on both sides, and both sides still gunk up at the same ridiculously fast rate while giving me poor flavor.

archentity

Member For 1 Year
UPDATE: So I pushed the coils down even further, as close to the air holes as physically possible and now the flavor is pretty good. So I guess that's the trick. Even a full millimeter above the air flow seems to be too far away for optimal flavor.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
There is still a reason why one coil is gunked up and the other one is not.

In your pics above:

The coil on the left has one leg that goes to the grub screw from the top, and the other leg goes to the grub screw from the bottom.
The coil on the right has both legs that go to the grub screws from the bottom. There is 1/2 wrap more on the coil on the right than on the left. Has to be.

I would expect to see the coil on the right beginning at the top with a leg coming to the coil from the top. I believe you have it wrapped wrong.

I'll consider myself corrected if I'm wrong, but really, I don't think I am.

VU Sponsors