Become a Patron!

Knurling

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Bump...any ideas?

This is what i want to do it to
20220924_144405.jpg

Trying to preferably knurl, but am even considering flattening two sides of that upper ridge even tho it will look awful if i do that.

Taking the top off this thing is just f***ing impossible

Was hoping there is something like a crimper i can crimp a pattern into the metal to grip it

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know anything about that stuff. I'd assume those tools are to be used with some sort of power tool like a lathe. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'd guess they might work on flat areas but above that ridge (in the circle in your photo) might be tough to get textured.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Maybe ill just try and find a machine shop that can do it for me.

I almost want to just take a pliers and squeeze as hard as i can, fraid im gonna f*** it up tho

Edit-ok, props to the mfg...apparently it is made of a harder metal than my pliers

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
...apparently it is made of a harder metal than my pliers
Lol. I got an RDA one time that was missing the airflow from one side. The hole was started but it didn't punch through all the way. It was a Hotcig Castle in case anyone wants to know. Anyways, I tried to finish the job myself. I broke 3 drill bits trying to get the job done. That metal or steel was some really hard stuff. I finally got through it with a special bit but it wasn't pretty. I never used the RDA but it was a learning experience.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Lol. I got an RDA one time that was missing the airflow from one side. The hole was started but it didn't punch through all the way. It was a Hotcig Castle in case anyone wants to know. Anyways, I tried to finish the job myself. I broke 3 drill bits trying to get the job done. That metal or steel was some really hard stuff. I finally got through it with a special bit but it wasn't pretty. I never used the RDA but it was a learning experience.
Im pretty confident that its going to be brass covered ss plated, but maybe a thick plating.

Unless they realy did just cut and form them off a solid peice stainless steel barstock, i dunno, dont know much about machining,

Btw, what mightve worked is a dremel with metal grinding bit, like an engraver or something.

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Knurling requires a decent, rigid lathe. Highly recommend a machine shop. They'll potentially have trouble holding that piece though, and will need to make some sort of fixture. Likely it would be easier for a machinist to make you a whole new piece, since it'll be attached to the original metal rod and be fully held in the lathe.

I've seen 4th axis laser engravers do a somewhat similar pattern to real lathe knurling, but it's usually not as deep and doesn't have the same angled cuts. I like real knurling.

Good luck!
AD

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Guess ill just wait for the v2 and hope they realize this without screwing up something else

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bump...any ideas?

This is what i want to do it to
View attachment 197546

Trying to preferably knurl, but am even considering flattening two sides of that upper ridge even tho it will look awful if i do that.

Taking the top off this thing is just f***ing impossible

Was hoping there is something like a crimper i can crimp a pattern into the metal to grip it
Try a rubber strap like the ones they use to take blood, they triple the traction. Great for gettin extra tight jar lids off

VU Sponsors