Become a Patron!

Late Night in DIYland, take II

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
However.. for those attempting to recreate.. that is just as hard..

and for those that collect.. since i passed 5gigs of recipes from all over the world..
it was time i dabbled for me..
not what others put down..
not to follow a recipe or particular taste..
but to enjoy as I vape every where i go..

i have to live with what I create, so a bit of imagination will take me any where i want.. ;)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes I do look at recipes of desserts I like, then try to adapt them. Works ok, too. I've only got like 4 or 5 that I've posted. I'm no HIC or Smoky Blue. They gots skillz.

lmao tell that to my head doc roflmao..

but thank you Huckleberry..;)

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I picked up this "talent" taking English exams in high school... Copied answers always got me a better grade than my own creations!

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to be a bartender so I go with a lot of drink recipes. Food recipes are sometimes good but instead of satisfying my sweet tooth, I want the dessert instead and that's bad.

Oh a bartender background would be perfect for this.

I find I like to vape dessert flavors more than I thought I would, which surprises me. I end up just wanting the food version too, many times.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
grrr... Rowdy!!!

one day.. i hope you too can step up and out..

if you notice what you are doing.. it is possible..;)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Oh a bartender background would be perfect for this.

I find I like to vape dessert flavors more than I thought I would, which surprises me. I end up just wanted the food version too, many times too.

bartender and more on my resume.. :p

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I am thinking thick rich.. ubber rich..

some cream
tiny! bit of caramel

im thinking..
cream
some white chocolate (tpa)

some brandy

a bit of fruit.. like the Forrest fruits.. (FA)

and a bit of hickory

Friday night Mashup

1% Sweet cream TFA
.5% Caramel Original TFA
6% White Chocolate TFA
2% Orange Brandy
1.5% Forrest Fruits (FA)
.25% Hickory Smoke (TFA)
.5% Peppermint

hmm.. not too bad.. :D

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I bought 2 flavors that might interest someone. I got NF Gooseberry which is awesome. It's a tart, slightly sour, non-succulent berry that has a grape-ish note to it. I can't wait to play with this one.

The other is NF Japanese Plum. This is a brighter plum flavor, has a tangy note to it that is similar to apricot. Good stuff.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I bought 2 flavors that might interest someone. I got NF Gooseberry which is awesome. It's a tart, slightly sour, non-succulent berry that has a grape-ish note to it. I can't wait to play with this one.

The other is NF Japanese Plum. This is a brighter plum flavor, has a tangy note to it that is similar to apricot. Good stuff.

Mix those up.. say 3% each add some Bavarian Cream say 2% and a tiny bit of lemon.. pop pop :D

btw.. I <3 the gooseberry.. so many things you can do with it.. ;)

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a question for you late night DIY'ers and early bird DIY'ers too. Where do you start when you are creating a recipe? Do you use food as a guide, like food recipes, or do you taste the flavorings and decipher what they will pair with well and go from there, or do you just mad scientist toss stuff together and see what happens?
I have an excel file with all my flavors listed. I pick out some that sound good, copy them to a new column, and choose percents for each. Then I transpose that info into my juice calc, and mix a small batch, calling that v1.0. Every change I make gets a revision tick.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have an excel file with all my flavors listed. I pick out some that sound good, copy them to a new column, and choose percents for each. Then I transpose that info into my juice calc, and mix a small batch, calling that v1.0. Every change I make gets a revision tick.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

I love this idea. I need to make a spreadsheet.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I have never ever had plum pudding.. not a clue what all is in there..

but for me.. a dash of cinnamon.. sweet smoked plums.. (hint.. hickory once again) perhaps a tiny bit of blueberry.. and then some creams say.. sweet and fresh.. layered 2:1 and a bit of pie crust.. .5% and do not forget my whipped cream.. around 1% :)

is about as close to a food recipe as i can go.. :p

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

but for me.. a dash of cinnamon.. sweet smoked plums.. (hint.. hickory once again) perhaps a tiny bit of blueberry.. and then some creams say.. sweet and fresh.. layered 2:1 and a bit of pie crust.. .5% and do not forget my whipped cream.. around 1% :)

mmmmm I would vape that

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My uncle says that I "can see flavors". I dunno how true that is, but I try! I usually just throw stuff together that sounds good, but I have been known to create from food or drink ideas. Like Smoky said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My great idea of all FA black fire/licorice/custard/caramel was the worst ever.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
My uncle says that I "can see flavors". I dunno how true that is, but I try! I usually just throw stuff together that sounds good, but I have been known to create from food or drink ideas. Like Smoky said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My great idea of all FA black fire/licorice/custard/caramel was the worst ever.

dependant on percentages, i might vape that :p

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Christmas pudding!

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey @Smoky Blue, have you ever had Ahlusion's Wildwood tobaccos? Or has anyone here? How would I try to replicate that earthy, woodsy, smoky flavor?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I have never bought any tobacco juice from any shop, local or retail..

earthy.. tea
woodsy.. perhaps oak (fa)
smoky.. hickory..

tobacco.. your fav.. :D

play with the percentages, Flowers.. I am sure you will "nail" it..;)

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Tea, that's very interesting...I have never thought that tea may be part of that flavor profile. What teas are earthy without fruit? Yerba mate?

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think I happen to have FA Red Oak somewhere...I need to look for it.

I have FA Oakwood, not the same thing, I bet.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Tea, that's very interesting...I have never thought that tea may be part of that flavor profile. What teas are earthy without fruit? Yerba mate?

tpa and one other.. if i can remember will link ya..;)

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never met a tea flavoring that did it for me. FA black tea is good, but I'm still on the fence with it. Vapor's Knoll makes a liquid called "Afternoon Delight", and I know that FA black tea is in it, but I can't figure out what else. Maybe I'll buy some more one day and put some effort into figuring it out.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can you use those two interchangeably?

Like most other things DIY, I don't think so. I haven't tried the FA version by itself yet, other than a drop on my finger, but the TFA tastes very different. TFA is very woody. I made something that tasted just like scotch whiskey with it - aged in oak barrels taste.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
There's a lot of good stuff here to copy for sure. Rocket. Make me a special vape dammit.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love this idea. I need to make a spreadsheet.
A fine idea that is. I let mine lapse, so I went back to the beginning with all of my flavor orders and made a new one. I've put this one out on Google Docs so I can access it from work or home. This time around, thanks to the example shown by Smoky Blue (Thanks!!!), I'm going to add a stand-alone percentage column and probably a short comment section.

I do not create, I am almost a plagiarist. That is, I read recipes that sound good, and adapt/adjust them to my wants and inventory.

Me too. I'm starting to break that trend, but it's slow going.

I've collected a ton of recipes that sound great. Hopefully as I work my way through them, I'll get a better feel for the not-so-obvious combos, and for the little things that can turn a good vape into a great one.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
This time around, thanks to the example shown by Smoky Blue (Thanks!!!), I'm going to add a stand-alone percentage column and probably a short comment section.

no worries.. but believe it or not.. i do not keep notes either.. my shorthand is atrocious!
not to mention my spelling.. thank someone for spell check or i would sound like a beach bum! :D

VU Sponsors