Become a Patron!

Looking for a tank that gives better flavor. Hope I'm posting in right spot.

I use an Aegis Legend sub ohm unit. I've been using it for several years. When the United States changed there Vape juice shipping laws, the company I used went out of business. I found that the juice from other companies tasted better. Then vape unit quit working. I bought another one, but they had changed the tank and coil. Everything tasted terrible and it leaked like a sieve. I've bought a few tanks since then, but haven't found anything that I'm happy with. I have a Vaporesso NRG-S. I also have a FreeMax Maxluke tank. I'm using basically a 0.15 coil in all of them. I've been vaping for several years and would like to learn more, but it's hard to find understandable information. Basically I'm looking for suggestion of tanks that will work on my system and give me good flavor.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Time for a rebuildable. You'll get the flavor your looking for w/o going through more sub ohms. Looks like you like plenty of air flow, ie DL - not so much RDL?
What mod do you have?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Aegis Legend?
1659650670204.png
You'd need a couple more tools if you don't already have them. Might be better to leave the rods off and get a tool kit. Coils can be had from our resident coil builders. And wick is easier - I even have some I'd give you to get you started.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a Vaporesso NRG-S
I have the original NRG tank. I have fallen in love with the GT cores coils (specifically the GT4 dual mesh coils) They are rated for 50+ watts but I use them at 45 watts. Haven't tried them but Freemax coils are supposed to be great (and last a long time)
Please give more info... I feel like we are missing something.
Wattage and/or airflow can affect vapor and flavor. More info (sorry to repeat myself) What is it that you don't like about the flavor?
Side note: I think that mod is a dual battery (removable 18650) mod. Do you have an external charger? I don't recommend charging with USB (maybe once in a while if you have to) It helps to keep the two batteries "married" (always used together and charged together)
You mentioned leaking (make sure coils are correctly installed) don't use thin juice (like 50/50) and if it leaked down into your mod, there are ways to clean it.

Have you tried the geekvape Zeus sub ohm tank. I recently picked this tank up to go along with my geekvape aegis x. And it is a great tank in my opinion. Granted I am new to vaping only been doing it for 2 weeks. But comparing the aegis x and the Zeus tank to the voopoo argus air pod system that I started with. I would say that the Zeus tank was a huge upgrade in my opinion. And they even have a verison that you can rebuild if that is your kind. Me personally I am currently not ready for that just yet. But you can also get it with plug in coils. Not sure if they have a .15 coils or not. But I personally have been using the .4 coils at 60 to 65 watts and it has amazing favor and cloud output. Just my advice hope it helps.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
U are using two of the best brands of coils honestly. Maybe the uwell valaryian or crown?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Generally (in my experience) if your focus is on flavor, getting the lowest-resistance coil and vaping it with wide-open airflow isn't going to give you what you want.

The first thing I would do, and this is just me, is I'd try the 0.4 ohm coils for the NRG tank, and I would close the airflow up some. Play with your wattage - start out at, say, 40 watts, with airflow about halfway open, and see how that is. If it isn't warm enough for you, bump the watts up to 45, and open the airflow just a tad more. You can go up or down, depending on how you like to vape, but if you'll be patient with it, I bet you will find a sweet spot and that tank will vape just fine.

One thing about leaking from a bottom-airflow tank: it helps to be very specific about how you refill the juice. Try the following steps:

1. If your coil is new, drip juice into each of the holes around the outside housing until the cotton looks well saturated. You can also drip about five to seven drops down into the center of the coil. Then reassemble your tank. Note: it's important that the cotton is good and wet, otherwise when you start vaping the new coil it will scorch.
2. Close the airflow all the way.
3. Open the top cap and refill juice.
4. Replace the top cap.
5. Turn the tank upside down, with a paper towel or tissue handy to catch any juice that dribbles out the drip tip.
6. Open the airflow.
7. Slowly turn the tank right-side up again and thread it on your mod.
8. Vape it for at least 10 hits or so, right away, so the vacuum inside the tank gets set properly. (At this point, if the coil is new, you'll want to start out with wattage a little lower than normal, for maybe the first half dozen hits or so, just to be sure you don't trash the coil.)

Good luck, hope this helps. Let us know how it goes for you.

Welcome to VU!

I have better luck with all types of tanks if I do not fill them with juice and then just let them sit without being vaped.

Generally (in my experience) if your focus is on flavor, getting the lowest-resistance coil and vaping it with wide-open airflow isn't going to give you what you want.

The first thing I would do, and this is just me, is I'd try the 0.4 ohm coils for the NRG tank, and I would close the airflow up some. Play with your wattage - start out at, say, 40 watts, with airflow about halfway open, and see how that is. If it isn't warm enough for you, bump the watts up to 45, and open the airflow just a tad more. You can go up or down, depending on how you like to vape, but if you'll be patient with it, I bet you will find a sweet spot and that tank will vape just fine.

One thing about leaking from a bottom-airflow tank: it helps to be very specific about how you refill the juice. Try the following steps:

1. If your coil is new, drip juice into each of the holes around the outside housing until the cotton looks well saturated. You can also drip about five to seven drops down into the center of the coil. Then reassemble your tank. Note: it's important that the cotton is good and wet, otherwise when you start vaping the new coil it will scorch.
2. Close the airflow all the way.
3. Open the top cap and refill juice.
4. Replace the top cap.
5. Turn the tank upside down, with a paper towel or tissue handy to catch any juice that dribbles out the drip tip.
6. Open the airflow.
7. Slowly turn the tank right-side up again and thread it on your mod.
8. Vape it for at least 10 hits or so, right away, so the vacuum inside the tank gets set properly. (At this point, if the coil is new, you'll want to start out with wattage a little lower than normal, for maybe the first half dozen hits or so, just to be sure you don't trash the coil.)

Good luck, hope this helps. Let us know how it goes for you.

Welcome to VU!

I have better luck with all types of tanks if I do not fill them with juice and then just let them sit without being vaped.
Are you using rebuildables? I ask because if you vape them right away after filling them I am wondering how do you prime your coils. Everything I read or heard says that you should fill your tank and then let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before vaping on it. So that you can be sure the juice has soaked into the wicks fully. But I am new to vaping so maybe I am just missing something. Either way I wish you the best of luck.

BigEmptySky

Member For 5 Years
Are you using rebuildables? I ask because if you vape them right away after filling them I am wondering how do you prime your coils. Everything I read or heard says that you should fill your tank and then let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before vaping on it. So that you can be sure the juice has soaked into the wicks fully. But I am new to vaping so maybe I am just missing something. Either way I wish you the best of luck.

I only vape RTA's and RDA's. With rebuildable's you saturate your wick before vaping same as drop-in coils. RBA's do not need to sit for 5-10 minutes after like with drop-in coils because the wick is fully saturated. After I juice-up my wick I'm off and vaping. Simple.

BigEmptySky

Member For 5 Years
From my experience, if it's flavor you're after, a smaller chamber (condensed flavor) and less airflow are key.

With RBA's coil selection matters, more mass, more vapor, more flavor. Arguably simple round wire isn't going to serve up the flavor of a clapton or some of the more exotic coils. Although some love their simple round wire builds.

Wicking choices can also affect flavor. Some people swear by brand X of cotton over brand Z. Some love brand Z over X. Others prefer rayon wicks.

IOW, as far as vaping goes... we are all different. What works for one may not work for another. In the end trial and error is required to find what works best for each vaper.

I only vape RTA's and RDA's. With rebuildable's you saturate your wick before vaping same as drop-in coils. RBA's do not need to sit for 5-10 minutes after like with drop-in coils because the wick is fully saturated. After I juice-up my wick I'm off and vaping. Simple.
Ok gotcha. Sorry I was not that clear I meant that you have to let drop in coils sit for 5 to 10 minutes. But yeah this is why I can not wait to get an RTA. Well that and to try my hand at building my own coils. Thank you for sharing.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I do use rebuildables, and I saturate my coils before putting an atty back together. But for a drop--in coil, if you drip liquid into it like I described, before putting it back together, then you are accomplishing the same thing that happens when you let a coil sit for 5 or 10 minutes.

I do use rebuildables, and I saturate my coils before putting an atty back together. But for a drop--in coil, if you drip liquid into it like I described, before putting it back together, then you are accomplishing the same thing that happens when you let a coil sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
Ok good to know. I usually do both to be honest. It doesn't bother me all that much to let a fresh tank sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Beside I would much rather wait and know it is good to go. Then rush and risk burning a coil lol.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Eh...sorta, the priming gets the liquid across the surface tension to let the juice get into its capillary action, once that occurs the coil will wick as fast as when u hit it otherwise it wouldnt work. So u r both right.

Edit-just for reference, i try to let press in Coils sit as long as possible before i hit it, and rebuidables do get the immediate few hits to build the vacuum, nadalams is actually the most foolproof and complete description ive seen if u just dont want to take any chances.

One thing i also do, is wrap the holes in a paper towel and purge it a cpl time to get any loose juice inside to get forced out (thats tank specific tho, sc mtl classic really benefits from doing that if its wicked a little light, nadalamas step 5, only blowing out forcefully instead of passively letting it drip, again tank specific)

Edit-to the OP, flavor will drop off if u turn the wattage to high, thats when u know to back down, and try the .3 ccell2 vaporesso coils, run em about 30-35 watts, they have extrely good flavor and the drag is loose enoungh to not be a problem one u get used to it (compared to a quad coil dtl coil)

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Wotofo profe unity mesh is what u probably want for flavor, or the stream crave plus v2 mesh deck (not the supreme v3) both excellet flavor chasers if u need that wide open vape).

Also, the new zeus tank was a good suggestion as well, i dont think it will outperform a maxluke, but u never know.

Also, make sure u arent experiencing vapers tongue

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Eh...sorta, the priming gets the liquid across the surface tension to let the juice get into its capillary action, once that occurs the coil will wick as fast as when u hit it otherwise it wouldnt work. So u r both right.

Edit-just for reference, i try to let press in Coils sit as long as possible before i hit it, and rebuidables do get the immediate few hits to build the vacuum, nadalams is actually the most foolproof and complete description ive seen if u just dont want to take any chances.

One thing i also do, is wrap the holes in a paper towel and purge it a cpl time to get any loose juice inside to get forced out (thats tank specific tho, sc mtl classic really benefits from doing that if its wicked a little light, nadalamas step 5, only blowing out forcefully instead of passively letting it drip, again tank specific)

Edit-to the OP, flavor will drop off if u turn the wattage to high, thats when u know to back down, and try the .3 ccell2 vaporesso coils, run em about 30-35 watts, they have extrely good flavor and the drag is loose enoungh to not be a problem one u get used to it (compared to a quad coil dtl coil)

If the Vaporesso 0.3 ohm cCell2 coils are ceramic, they definitely need to sit for a while before an initial vape. That ceramic produces great flavor, but it is sensitive and slow to prime, easy to scorch.

I haven't used those specific coils, but I used a ton of the 0.9 ohm OG cCells (an Atlantis-style coil, but with Vaporesso's addition of the ceramic bit). They were great coils and I agree that they'd be a good choice for flavor. If anything, the OP might have to tolerate a little bit of leaking when the coil is new, but once past that initial fill, the vacuum-set technique should keep them from leaking any further.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This thread is way too peaceful... Let's get down to the (arguable) bottom line.
(This applies to coil heads only, NOT rebuildables)

1. COILS taste better than mesh!!! PERIOD!
2. Stainless steel tastes better than... well... every other alloy out there!

So... the secret is to find a tank whose coils (the actual coil metal) are stainless steel AND NOT mesh!
Coiled stainless steel WIRE will make the angels sing for you.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Eh, nevermind, i thought i was in the mood for a debate over a silly topic, but im just gonna enjoy my sunday.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Have never tried nickel or titanium, although I do have some Nautilus TC coils around here somewhere, don't like kanthal, fine with N80 and SS. I think either of those metals produce a much cleaner vapor flavor than kanthal, all day long.

I did love the enthusiasm, @hellcatrydr !!! ;)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*English?*

Sorry, even in English it doesn't work out. Can say as I'd normally say, I'm improving my communication skills though. Not seeing it worth the time, this.

Not sure there's any such thing as "too peaceful". You think your way, I'll think mine. Not here for your expectations, nor you mine. *shrugs*

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, even in English it doesn't work out. Can say as I'd normally say, I'm improving my communication skills though. Not seeing it worth the time, this.

Not sure there's any such thing as "too peaceful". You think your way, I'll think mine. Not here for your expectations, nor you mine. *shrugs*
Why even respond then? I don't speak arcane pedantic; make your point or don't.
Until then, you can keep your passive-aggressive insults BS to yourself.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Why even respond then? I don't speak arcane pedantic; make your point or don't.
Until then, you can keep your passive-aggressive insults BS to yourself.
My point was clear enough. I simply wanted you knowing I didn't think worth the time. Still don't. Not passive-aggresive to desire letting you know that. It's a statement even critters understand. Turn your back to a a pack of dogs once. They'll instantly know you disapprove of their actions.

Some might even learn to act better.

Some probably will not.

That just onjective fact.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Few months ago I picked up a vaporesso itank and the flavor from the gti coils are about as close as can get from an rta. Bonus it has an 8ml tank. I mix my juice so coil life is great.

VU Sponsors