Become a Patron!

Looking to get into squonking. recommendations for an rda.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I currently use a geekvape aegis with the gata rta. While I'm fine with the aegis, it does what it's supposed to and has never really given me any trouble. The gata just kinda sucks imo. Even if you manage to find the goldilocks zone of wicking it, which for me even after several years of vaping is still a p.i.t.a to do, it still gives dry hits occasionally and the flavor is meh at best. My favorita rta of all time was the juggerknot mini, but God only knows when that's finally gonna come back in stock... anyway tangents aside.

With my disappointment with the gata and lack of another juggerknot mini to replace it I've been looking around for something new and multiple rabbit holes traversed and somehow I got interested in squonking. I've narrowed the mod down to either the dovpo topside or the topside LITE. I know they're essentially the same it's just one is made of plastic. I'm leaning more towards the metal version simply because I feel like it'd be more durable in the long run. So if anyone can give a vote which I should get I'd appreciate it.

for RDAs on the other hand I'm fairly clueless. I haven't used an RDA in...6 or 7 years? I exclusively run single coils that are fused claptons 28g wrapped in 40g SS316L. Besides the gata I've had good luck with QP designs so I was thinking of maybe the nio? The wasp nano looks nice, but it's so small I worry it'll be a really hot vape. I'd like to use a 510 drip tip if at all possible as well.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wasp Nano vapes pretty good but I dislike the cap situation on mine. It spins like crazy and has no locking system. It comes off pretty easy too. I could probably fix it but I just don't like it as much as others.

If you can find an Elder Dragon before they're all gone, you really should get one. It's my favorite and I try most of the popular single coil RDAs. It's been unmatched for flavor in my opinion. It squonks well but I still press often.. It doesn't have a deep juice well but it's MIT the Recurve either (non existent juice well). You can squonk right up to the coil without it leaking. Gotta be careful and let go though.

.Blank performs well and you can flood it. The draw is a bit weird though. It's redirected airflow that throws me off I think.

Tauren Solo vapes awesome. I don't like how it squonks though. Really good flavor though.

There's lots of others. Some have tight-ish airflow. Maybe that's what you're looking for? I don't enjoy a lot of restriction but others can..

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For starter rdas with squonking, I would look at:

Drop solo- easy to build and hard to flood

Elder dragon- can be a bit tricky to build, but hard to flood and great flavor

recoil v1- hard to flood, easy to build great flavor

nudge 22- easy to build and great flavor

wismec tobhino- easy to build on, good flavor

dead rabbit sq- easy to build, hard to flood

Plenty of others out there but those would be the first to come to mind for someone new to squonking

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I currently use a geekvape aegis with the gata rta. While I'm fine with the aegis, it does what it's supposed to and has never really given me any trouble. The gata just kinda sucks imo. Even if you manage to find the goldilocks zone of wicking it, which for me even after several years of vaping is still a p.i.t.a to do, it still gives dry hits occasionally and the flavor is meh at best. My favorita rta of all time was the juggerknot mini, but God only knows when that's finally gonna come back in stock... anyway tangents aside.

With my disappointment with the gata and lack of another juggerknot mini to replace it I've been looking around for something new and multiple rabbit holes traversed and somehow I got interested in squonking. I've narrowed the mod down to either the dovpo topside or the topside LITE. I know they're essentially the same it's just one is made of plastic. I'm leaning more towards the metal version simply because I feel like it'd be more durable in the long run. So if anyone can give a vote which I should get I'd appreciate it.

for RDAs on the other hand I'm fairly clueless. I haven't used an RDA in...6 or 7 years? I exclusively run single coils that are fused claptons 28g wrapped in 40g SS316L. Besides the gata I've had good luck with QP designs so I was thinking of maybe the nio? The wasp nano looks nice, but it's so small I worry it'll be a really hot vape. I'd like to use a 510 drip tip if at all possible as well.
The Juggerknot mini V2 is being released this month. You can also buy a new V1 if you look hard at 3rd party vape shops. QP stopped making the V1 over a year ago. If you liked the V1 you'd probably like the V2, it's finally top fill too.

I have an extra V1 Juggerknot mini used once I'd sell but shipping wouldn't make it worth it from Canada.

Last edited:

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Juggerknot mini V2 is being released this month. You can also buy a new V1 if you look hard at 3rd party vape shops. QP stopped making the V1 over a year ago. If you liked the V1 you'd probably like the V2, it's finally top fill too.

I have an extra V1 Juggerknot mini used once I'd sell but shipping wouldn't make it worth it from Canada.
Where have you read/heard the mini v2 was coming out? I can't find anything on google. If true squonking can wait lol.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Where have you read/heard the mini v2 was coming out? I can't find anything on google. If true squonking can wait lol.
ecigarettes.ca is owned by Albert Lee, he's very popular for his TRVP accessories and the B2K rda. He's good friends with the guys at QP and always has their upcoming releases on his site before they post them. They're calling it the Juggerknot mini remastered. You can see it on his site which is Canadian with Canadian pricing. It's being released by month end.

20210108_182912.jpg

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I found their facebook post about it. If it's as good as the original I'm actually excited.

edit: Thank you very much for this heads up.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I found their facebook post about it. If it's as good as the original I'm actually excited.

edit: Thank you very much for this heads up.
No problem, the Juggerknot mini was my favorite a couple of years ago and I'm also looking forward to this new version.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
dead rabbit sq- easy to build, hard to flood

&, if you can/kin find a Gorge, worth the ~$20-25 USD. Straight forward to build on single coil. You can over squonk it but you'll soon get a feel for the squonking and not overly squonk. Also the Gorge gives you a wide open range of airflow possibilities.

An idea how good it is? @Train mentioned it once. I got one to try, and since then it seems near everywhere stays sold out of them. @Just Frank mentioned the Wasp Nanos. Got three here myself. Got one with a loose cap issue too. Thinking a fix will be a fresh o-ring/2 on the deck base. Been too lazy to bother, got o-rings, just not got to it. *chuckles*

For being a styled clone the ST U.S. 1 V2 is decent as well. Wider airflow possibilities than the Gorge. Can be used dual or single coil. If you like competition style huff caps it might suit you. Okay, that's three I would consider. :)

Last edited:

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wasn't a fan of the wasp nano. It is a good budget RDA, but it really wasn't anything special in my opinion.

My top single coil RDAs are (in no specific order)
B2K, Neo, Venna, KRMA, Elder Dragon, Vauban, and the GR1. All of these are quality RDAs that are worth having.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My top single coil RDAs are (in no specific order)
B2K, Neo, Venna, KRMA, Elder Dragon, Vauban, and the GR1. All of these are quality RDAs that are worth having.

Would you suggest the SXK or YFTK version of the Venna, as an affordable one to try?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
My favorite squonking RDAs are the Hermetic by Blitz, Oni One By Asmodus, and the Morphe by Tigertek
I like my Flave RDTAs(Kindbright clones) too.
I am waiting on my newest squonking RDAs the Mongrel by Deucesjack and Hellvape to get here from Sourcemore, they are in the US and hope to have those this week- I have high hopes for those, I ordered a black and SS!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
A few more, with flavor, smooth semi rdl/rdl, squonk friendly in mind:
Asgard Mini
Reload S
Asmodus C4

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Second the Asmodus C4, the Morphe, the Elder Dragon, the Dead Rabbit SQ, the Asgard Mini, the Reload S, and the KRMA. I didn't like the GS1 or the Tobhino.

Wish someone would give me some pointers about wicking the Juggerknot Mini. All I get from mine are dry hits!

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Second the Asmodus C4, the Morphe, the Elder Dragon, the Dead Rabbit SQ, the Asgard Mini, the Reload S, and the KRMA. I didn't like the GS1 or the Tobhino.

Wish someone would give me some pointers about wicking the Juggerknot Mini. All I get from mine are dry hits!
I didn't reckon much to the tobhino either and the luxotic mod that came with it died after two months!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I didn't reckon much to the tobhino either and the luxotic mod that came with it died after two months!

I have two of the mods and they have done fine. One is packed away now, one is out in rotation, but the one that's packed away got used a lot for at least a year. I bought that kit at full retail - paid I think $52 for it - so I'd have been deeply pissed if it had died after two months.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two of the mods and they have done fine. One is packed away now, one is out in rotation, but the one that's packed away got used a lot for at least a year. I bought that kit at full retail - paid I think $52 for it - so I'd have been deeply pissed if it had died after two months.
I'll probably get another to be fair cos I did like the mod and I don't have any Squonk mods at the moment. I sold them and got into RTA's but my RDA's are sitting unused now cos don't like dripping to be honest!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm in the same boat Juggernaut mini sitting unused could never get the wicking right either dry hits or spitty & gurgling.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I'm in the same boat Juggernaut mini sitting unused could never get the wicking right either dry hits or spitty & gurgling.
I don't have mine anymore since I wore the threads out on it and could never get it to stop leaking at the end of its life so you'll have to excuse my lack of photos. Anyways onto the written walkthrough. Keep in mind for the last several RTAs I've had I've always used a 2.5mm inner diameter coil, currently a fused clapton 28g inside with 40g outside, so take that info as you would.

So the way I always wicked my mini was the cotton had to be tight enough to completely fill the inside of the coil, but not so tight I could make the mod fall over if I were just pulling on the cotton from one side or the other. Then if you look at the sides of the RTA you'll see these little notches. You want to basically rest your cotton above those notches with just enough cotton to fill the notches up. Do not have cotton extending any lower than the bottom of those notches or you will get dry hits and if you leave those notches empty you will almost certainly get flooding. I would always gently pat the cotton into place to just barely fill up those notches with most of my cotton resting above them. If you feel resistance when you thread the tank into place like you can really tell you're pushing cotton out of your way you probably have too much cotton. The juggerknot mini is a great example of "less is more" when it comes to wicking. I hope this helps and if you completely and utterly give up and want to smash it with a hammer I will happily take it off your hands and enjoy for a long time lol.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since it has been mentioned a few times, ...

Quick explanation of Scottish roll method of wicking. What I do is use one layer of cotton pad, and not all the layers after the top layer.

First take off top layer like this one shows.

Second, peel off another layer just like peeling off top layer.

Third pull the layer out thin.

Fourth roll it, being sure to roll both ends the same direction and not twisting.

Fifth: A) Wick coil leaving roughly .5 mm between top of cotton and inner part of top of coil. (-) End view of coil looking in. Where the dash is shows you the "air tunnel" I like to leave in the coil. If you fill the coil with cotton air flow fouls up. You want it full but only just so. Leave the "tunnel" to let air go through the whole coil.

B) Trim wick up to fit atomizer juice well. Leave enough so your ends just brush over the bottom of a juice well. Fluff those ends out too, wispy.

Sixth: A) Seat wick ends into juice well/ deck.

B) Paint up your wick, vape.

This works for most atomizers and styles of vaping. Gives both a good bit of cloud and flavor. I'm a a moderate not chasing either. Not saying that way is for everyone, only that it works for me. Try it if you want, don't if you don't want. This is another technique to consider.

Last edited:

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Since it has been mentioned a few times, ...

Quick explanation of Scottish roll method of wicking. What I do is use one layer of cotton pad, and not all the layers after the top layer.

First take off top layer like this one shows.

Second, peel off another layer just like peeling off top layer.

Third pull the layer out thin.

Fourth roll it, being sure to roll both ends the same direction and not twisting.

Fifth: A) Wick coil leaving roughly .5 mm between top of cotton and inner part of top of coil. (-) End view of coil looking in. Where the dash is shows you the "air tunnel" I like to leave in the coil. If you fill the coil with cotton air flow fouls up. You want it full but only just so. Leave the "tunnel" to let air go through the whole coil.

B) Trim wick up to fit atomizer juice well. Leave enough so your ends just brush over the bottom of a juice well. Fluff those ends out too, wispy.

Sixth: A) Seat wick ends into juice well/ deck.

B) Paint up your wick, vape.

This works for most atomizers and styles of vaping. Gives both a good bit of cloud and flavor. I'm a a moderate not chasing either. Not saying that way is for everyone, only that it works for me. Try it if you want, don't if you don't want. This is another technique to consider.
I tried this in multiple tanks and it never worked well for me. I use Japanese cotton I bought years ago (bought a brick of the stuff for like $20, still have like 3/4 of the brick left). I just separate the top and bottom layers, flatten all the wispy crap back down, cut the width I need, and after wicking the coil I usually fluff/thin out the ends before placing the wick where I need it to go. 60% of the time it works every time.

Bluenatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
When I was mainly a squonker (regulated), I used the Pulse V2 and it's a flavor machine and won't break the bank. Now I have QP Kali V2s on top of my couple squonks left. It is phenomenal. The Pulse V2 is hard to oversquonk and the Kali is no slouch in that department as well. That's my 2¢

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I was mainly a squonker (regulated), I used the Pulse V2 and it's a flavor machine and won't break the bank. Now I have QP Kali V2s on top of my couple squonks left. It is phenomenal. The Pulse V2 is hard to oversquonk and the Kali is no slouch in that department as well. That's my 2¢
The Pulse V2 is a forgotten rda anymore, but it really does work great. They did a great job on the squonk action on that one, and the flavor is right up there too. I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned much anymore.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ah, that's better than weather odds. :) There's always a 50% chance of precipitation. "It'll rain/snow or it won't." *chuckles*
"it works 60% of the time, every time." is a quote from the anchorman. If you have yet to see this cinematic masterpiece please fix that as soon as possible.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea I'm reconsidering my hesitation to move over to squonk mods. I got a peacemaker from squid vapes and was hoping that would keep me happy until I could get my hands on the juggerknot mini remastered, but yea I'm not feeling it. After the first couple days with it my excitement wore off and now I'm left with an overwhelming... meh sensation with it.

I'm definitely still going to get a juggerknot mini remastered when they start selling it in the states so I can avoid those stupid taxes or... I forget the word... the thing where they surprise you with an additional fee for buying out of country...

Anyway I'm back into considering squonk stuff. I've got my eye on a dovpo topside or topside lite. Was looking at the nio from qp. Completely overlooked the kali. Dunno how that happened.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"it works 60% of the time, every time." is a quote from the anchorman. If you have yet to see this cinematic masterpiece please fix that as soon as possible.

Ah, sorry like much of pop culture that movie & its sequel were evaded. Also evaded the ice bucket challenge & tend to evade a lot of pop, or rap music. Reckon though plenty enough like that kind of stuff, seems to eternally be around. If you enjoy it, please do. Will stick to the insular Midsomer Murders, Andy Griffith, Gilligan, WWE myself.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm having a hard time finding a single coil squonk rda in stock anywhere. Granted Idk a whole lot of websites that sell vaping stuff to being with. I've found a few RDAs that I like such as the nio, dead rabbit sq, this one from gas city mods whose name escapes me atm, and a few others whose names escape me. The problem I'm running into is they're all either sold out or sold from Canada and I have no desire to be charged that stupid duty tax or whatever it's called again.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm having a hard time finding a single coil squonk rda in stock anywhere. Granted Idk a whole lot of websites that sell vaping stuff to being with. I've found a few RDAs that I like such as the nio, dead rabbit sq, this one from gas city mods whose name escapes me atm, and a few others whose names escape me. The problem I'm running into is they're all either sold out or sold from Canada and I have no desire to be charged that stupid duty tax or whatever it's called again.
What is your budget?
for the midrange stuff I use element and myvpro as a first search
For high end I use vapinart first

www.elementvape.com
Www.myvpro.com
Www.vapinart.com

Other good vendors
Www.evcigarettes.com
Www.eciggity.com
Www.directvapor.com
Www.myvaporstore.com
Www.ecig-city.com
Www.beyondvapor.com
Www.vaporrange.com
Www.localvape.com
Www.originvape.com

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Wetlands has the black, stainless, and gold colors of the DRSQ in stock for 20 bucks.

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

mchaggis79

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just spent enough money to make my butthole pucker. I got a topside, an extra bottle cause I didn't think there'd be any with the kit, a nio rda by qp, and around $75 on nicotine, vg, and restocking flavors. I only bought the flavors and stuff after a friend told me about the shipping ban on nicotine and stuff. Is this for real and is it going to stick?

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just spent enough money to make my butthole pucker. I got a topside, an extra bottle cause I didn't think there'd be any with the kit, a nio rda by qp, and around $75 on nicotine, vg, and restocking flavors. I only bought the flavors and stuff after a friend told me about the shipping ban on nicotine and stuff. Is this for real and is it going to stick?
Ad of today the answer is yes....will there be workarounds , maybe. B and M's may survive, what is left of them.

VU Sponsors