Become a Patron!

Lost Vape Therion BF DNA75C Squonker Mod Review by Mjag

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello once again and thank you for taking the time to view my review of the Lost Vape Therion BF DNA75C Squonker Mod which was provided by my friends at www.healthcabin.net . They are currently having a 10% of sale (except Clearance) from Feb. 10 - 25 2018 Coupon Code: CNY2018

What's included

Jl53FXZ.jpg

• Therion DNA75C BF Device
  • USB Charging Cable
  • 7ML Silicon Squonk Bottle
  • 30ML Silicon Refilling Bottle
  • Therion USER Manual
  • Warranty Registration Card
Available in Black and Silver and a variety of leathers, not all colors shown below.

7CDQcqt.jpg

Specs

• Powered by Evolv DNA75C Board
  • Wattage Control / Temperature Protection
  • Full Color TFT Screen
  • Theme Designer Software
  • Customizable User Interface
  • Onboard Programmable Multicolor LED
  • Genuine Leather Battery Cover
  • Ebony Wood / Carbon Fiber Inlays
  • Die Cast Zinc Alloy Body
  • Single 18650 Cell Setting
  • 7ML Silicon Squonk Bottle
  • 30ML Silicon Refilling Bottle
  • Temperature Limit: 200F - 600F
  • Output Power: 1 - 75Watts
  • Stainless Steel 510 Atomizer Connector
  • Integrated 1Amp On-board Balanced Charger
  • Dimensions: 90.5mm*54mm*27mm

Getting to know the Therion

The Therion in its various configurations is well know, no doubt about that. First available with the DNA75 chip it has had several versions after that. This is there first BF or Bottom Feeder version and it utilizes the latest DNA75C chip which offers a color screen, ability to make changes via the mod instead of having to plug it in via escribe and ups the voltage output to 9V, the previous DNA75 was only 6V. Unfortunately the efficiency of the board is still the same, only 85% which is a shame.

MFuN9Wf.jpg

Now the DNA75C uses themes and Lost Vape had Daniel Djlsbvapes make a custom theme for the Therion BF DNA75C, when you open escribe, plug in the mod and click the Theme tab you will see this.

1kTkTlv.jpg

I love that they did this, it is set up wonderfully and I felt no need to make much changes at all. This is great for those that either do not know or don't care to use escribe, it is setup great right out of the box, well done Lost Vape. About the only thing I made changes was to remove the Ni and Ti profiles as I never use those metals, change my battery profile and also remove the Auto lock when idle.

Getting the battery in is a pain, there is reverse battery protection via a ring around the positive end that just makes it tough to get you battery in and out. You also have to take care to not rip your battery wrap.

h4F1wCA.jpg

Once your battery is in there is a plastic piece that is installed to go between the battery and squonk bottle.

mDyIvfA.jpg

Then just reinstall the bottle which is easy enough.

1S2fvop.jpg

They also include a 30ml refill bottle which comes in really handy. There is a process to refilling which they cover well in the owner's manual.

There is a hole and notch that when under normal use you would have them separated like this:
i9ptl25.jpg

When it comes time to refill just line up the hole and notch so that there is air to escape when refilling, it would look like this.
PYP5hgG.jpg

Then you just unscrew the 510 cap on the refill bottle and thread it on the Therions 510 and squeeze away.
PXzIwRY.jpg

Just make sure that once you are done you turn the hole away from the notch on the squonk bottle again, if not then air and juice will escape from that hole.
i9ptl25.jpg

It is not hard to just remove the bottle and refill it that way but the refill bottle is a really nice touch and works great.

My only complaints would be the little plastic do dad that separates the battery from bottle and the difficulty installing and removing the battery. These 2 things could have been better implemented, a lot of times I just charge via the USB to avoid removing the battery, it can be a PITA.

Fit and finish

If you have never held a Therion in your hand the fit and finish is just beautiful. Lost Vape has stepped up there game with the finish on my silver, far and away better than my Lost Vape Triade which starts to chip paint just by looking at it. In a months use I have not gotten a single chip and the alligator leather is holding up just fine. Buttons are nice and clicky and not rattle whatsoever, just a really solid mod and well worth the price they are asking.

It is a beautiful mod for sure and the battery covers can be purchased separately, here is the original I got in Yellow Crocodile with the QP Design Kali 25mm RDA on top.
p8aPQdb.jpg

And here it is with the Crown Bull battery cover I found at a local vape shop with the Vandy Vape Maze 24mm RDA.
E7lDu4i.jpg

24mm tanks look the best on the Therion but as you can see above 25mm tanks looks good as well, just a bit of overhang on the bevel, not the mod itself.

I don't have a 28mm RDA but I tried on the 28mm Triple so I can show you what it would look like.
uotdLKh.jpg

Performance

I am not going to dive down to deep here, it is a DNA board which has proven time and time again to be one of, if not the top board in the market. I will mainly speak to its out of the box performance which has been excellent seeing as they had DJLsb Vapes write a custom version for it. For those of you who don't know he is a technical reviewer on youtube who knows his stuff.

Having owned 3 previous DNA75 mods, 2 of which I sold due to lack of use, the new DNA75C is a worthy upgrade. I was never a big fan of the original DNA75 and if you bought one that was not set up like the Hcigar VT75 then you had to get into escribe to get the most out of it. Sure you could get outstanding TC performance if you knew what you were doing with escribe with the DNA75. With the way the Therion DNA75C chip it setup you get excellent performance right out of the box, this is the way all DNA mods should be setup.

I love the added mode button of the DNA75C, makes it so you can make changes directly on the mod, no need to plug into your PC or Mac to make routine changes like preheat. You also don't need to remember all the different button combinations to change temp, power, mode and materials, that was a pain prior to the DNA75C, really makes me look forward to the DNA250C which should be releasing soon.

SS316L TC performance has been outstanding, Daniel did a great job there. Even if you don't like it you can always go into escribe and make changes but for me there was no need.

Power performance is what you would expect from a DNA mod, it is just solid, not much more needs to be said.

As far as squonking, it just works really well with the soft silicone bottle and removing and replacing the bottle is a snap. A little bit of juice was present in the case but that may have been from my mistake of forgetting to the move the hole from the notch after refilling, I forgot a couple of times....whatcha gonna do?

Every tank I had worked fine with the exception of the Wotofo Nudge 24 I reviewed a little while back. The Nudge worked on all my other mods but would not connect to the Therion for some odd reason. It was baffling, would not connect with the squonk pin or non squonk pin installed, I just got the "No Atomizer" screen when I went to fire. Even the new Nudge 22 worked, just not the Nudge 24 but it does have a shorter than normal 510.

Battery Life

Keeping in mind this is a single 18650 mod it is good, not great and that has a lot to do with the 85% efficiency of the board. This is not a mod you want running full bore at 75 watts unless you love swapping batteries all day. I could go nearly all day with a single coil at 0.60 ohms, this was my favorite setup vaping in TC. I am running a dual coil at 0.16 ohms at the moment and it fires it fine but there will be at least 3 to 4 battery swaps in a day.

I have already mentioned it but it should be said again, swapping batteries in this thing just sucks. One time a battery was really in there, the battery ribbon would not get it to budge. I had to use ceramic tweezers to finally wiggle it out. I normally don't recommend charging via the USB but this does have balanced 1 amp charging and it is only a single cell. Now I just plug it in via USB instead of removing the cover, removing the bottle, taking off the cover and wrestling with the battery to get it out. You have to be careful of the protruding squonk pin as well, if it is still connected to the bottom negative and you hit the squonk pin on the way out it will fire your atty, happened to me once.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pros

• World class TC and power mode performance
  • DNA75C interface is a nice upgrade over the previous DNA75
  • 9V output vs the previous DNA75 6V limit
  • Soft silicone bottle that holds 7ml (verified with syringe)
  • Includes 30ml soft silicone refill bottle that works great
  • Customizable via Evolv Escribe software
  • Custom theme installed, excellent performance out of the box
  • Well built and durable finish
  • Can change the look by ordering different color battery covers

Cons

• 85% board efficiency, the DNA250 is 97% efficient by comparison
  • Battery is a PAIN to get in and out and need to be careful of not hitting the squonk pin
  • Battery partition between battery and bottle could be better and no spare included
  • Battery ribbon was a little long, I had to cut off about 3mm so it didn't go past the battery door
  • Tanks with short 510's like the Wotofo Nudge 24 may not work

Final thoughts

Being my first DNA75C mod I was not sure what to expect, the original DNA75 mods I had were mostly disappointments to me. I have to say that the month I spent with the Lost Vape Therion BF DNA75C has been a great time and I have so enjoyed using it. It is definitely a mod I will continue to use and in a lot of ways I like it better than my Lost Vape Drone DNA166 BF mod. My Drone hasn't seen a lot of use in the last month, that is how much I have been enjoying the Therion.

There are downsides though, installing and removing the battery just sucks, I hate doing it so much that I usually charge via USB. You have to build higher for better battery life as well, I have really been enjoying it with a single coil in the 0.40 to 0.60 ohm range with excellent results.

All in all it is a beautiful well made mod with a lots of pros and little cons that can be overlooked for the performance it provides. If I was to lose this mod tomorrow in a freak fishing boat accident I would buy another in a heartbeat, I don't say that often about any products.

I want to thank Maggie from www.healthcabin.net for sending me this to review, it will get a lot of use from here on out. They are having a 2018 Chinese Spring Festival Sales with 10% off using Coupon Code: CNY2018 and the Lost Vape Therion BF DNA75C Squonker Mod can be found here in a lot of different colors and options: https://www.healthcabin.net/lost-vape-therion-bf-dna75c-squonker-mod-kit-p/15866.html Hurry though, the sale ends February 25th 2018. They carry the spare bottles as well, great for quick flavor swaps.
Make sure and check out there clearance section too, great deals for sure: https://www.healthcabin.net/clearance/

Check out how this stacks up to other tasty gear and meet the Steampugs team of reviewers. Your bound to have a good time and read up on some great products, not so great ones too http://www.steampugs.co.uk/

Pics with other toppers:

Conspiracy 24mm RDA. Probably my favorite combo with a 0.60 ohm single coil build
eBWf0Jb.jpg

Vandy Vape Bonza 24mm RDA
bSTCJxZ.jpg

Vandy Vape Pulse 24 24.5mm RDA
LTkTZog.jpg

Ehpro Iguana 24.5mm RDA
FGMGNvM.jpg

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Great read, thanks. Didn't know about Daniel's custom theme, big bonus for someone like myself. Might be a squonker in my future after all.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great read, thanks. Didn't know about Daniel's custom theme, big bonus for someone like myself. Might be a squonker in my future after all.

Thanks Letitia.

I didn't know about Daniels custom theme either until I went into escribe. I know Lost Vape has been doing custom escribe files for there mods for awhile but when I noticed how good TC was right out of the box I investigated further. Definitely one of the smartest things they have done to have Daniel do it up for them, I hope they continue that.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Thanks Letitia.

I didn't know about Daniels custom theme either until I went into escribe. I know Lost Vape has been doing custom escribe files for there mods for awhile but when I noticed how good TC was right out of the box I investigated further. Definitely one of the smartest things they have done to have Daniel do it up for them, I hope they continue that.
If I understand correctly since it has the DNAc it will allow the replay function update. I already have 3 Therions and don't need another, but the replay function is calling out to me. sigh

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I understand correctly since it has the DNAc it will allow the replay function update. I already have 3 Therions and don't need another, but the replay function is calling out to me. sigh

That replay feature looks awesome. It is said it won't be available in the DNA75C for US users due to FDA regs but I am guessing someone will find a workaround. Should have replay in the new DNA250C though, can't wait for that to come out.

Thanks for the added info Letitia!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
That replay feature looks awesome. It is said it won't be available in the DNA75C for US users due to FDA regs but I am guessing someone will find a workaround. Should have replay in the new DNA250C though, can't wait for that to come out.

They are releasing an US upgrade that includes the 75c and replay function, but not the 400w and a couple other function upgrades.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are releasing an US upgrade that includes the 75c and replay function, but not the 400w and a couple other function upgrades.
Ohhh, I saw that video Daniel did and the guy from Evolv said no US update for the DNA75C. Do you know when it is set to release?

You're just a wealth of info, love ya

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did read after Chinese new year, don't know how reliable the source. Probably true tho, he's a DNA junky.:D
I can't wait. I saw that ginger vape has a dual 20700 squonker dna250c for preorder but $250....ouch. no way I would pay that for a 3d printed mod.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I can't wait. I saw that ginger vape has a dual 20700 squonker dna250c for preorder but $250....ouch. no way I would pay that for a 3d printed mod.

No way I'm giving up metal for plastic or 3d stuff! Just feels wrong in my hand, if my hand doesn't love it I won't use it. I'll see how the replay works out for others then decide if I'll jump for a DNAc. Sounds sublime tho, hope it's as good as it sounds.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Battery removal

I've had just about every Therion that's came out now, they are awesome!

Replacing the battery can be a real pain. Not sure if you knew this but taking the atty off when changing the battery makes a world of difference.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Battery removal

I've had just about every Therion that's came out now, they are awesome!

Replacing the battery can be a real pain. Not sure if you knew this but taking the atty off when changing the battery makes a world of difference.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!
That's a great tip, thank you.

No doubt the Therion is an awesome mod. I wound up going with the Paranormal for my dual bat DNA166 mainly due to how the batteries load, love that mod. Can't wait for the DNA250C versions, there gonna be insane!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Just got a heads up on a Lost Vape video about a new Therion. Haven't looked at it yet. Squonk 21700 with larger bottle and DNAc. Asking what people want to have in the new one.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
That's a great tip, thank you.

No doubt the Therion is an awesome mod. I wound up going with the Paranormal for my dual bat DNA166 mainly due to how the batteries load, love that mod. Can't wait for the DNA250C versions, there gonna be insane!

Found the video on FB and shared.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty cool. Nice to see that you dont need to plug it into a computer to make it work better. I've never had a DNA or squonk mod but this looks like a real good one.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty cool. Nice to see that you dont need to plug it into a computer to make it work better. I've never had a DNA or squonk mod but this looks like a real good one.
That was my favorite thing about it, ready to go out of the box. I know how to use escribe software but cmon, if your paying a premium price it should be done for you already, Lost Vape delivered.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I watched that vid & the workaround they hinted at was for US customers to use the Evolve International site to download.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That was my favorite thing about it, ready to go out of the box. I know how to use escribe software but cmon, if your paying a premium price it should be done for you already, Lost Vape delivered.

Fantastic review! Once again beautiful pics! This one even more so with extra pics showing the battery/squonk compartment.

Does it come out of the box with Daniel’s theme’s? Or do you have to plug into escribe? I watched Daniels vid of the Lost Vapes Therion 75C mod & he wasn’t sure if they included it out of the box. But he said the theme was available on Evolve & his own website.

He also noted that the resistance of the mod is wrong at 0.004 that it should be 0.0081 ohms I think. I have to watch his separate vid on the DNA 75C chipset.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you @Heartsdelight for the added info, can't wait until the firmware upgrade is available. I was using the Therion for a week or 2 before plugging into escribe and that is when I saw it already came loaded with Daniels theme. The whole time I was using it prior to plugging in I was thinking.....wow, Lost Vape set this up beautifully. It is the first DNA mod I own that I felt I could live with without ever having to plug it into escribe, this is how they should all be setup.

Thanks @skt239 , appreciate it bud!

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Great review :cheers:
A quick tip I’ve found to make battery changes easier is removing the atomizer, doing so gets the bf pin/tube more out of the way as well. IMO, it’s not hard/ much of an issue once it’s been done a few times, the reverse action same angle of how the ribbon removes it.
Also if someone wants to use it in non squonk mode, the regular non hole dna75c therion doors do fit.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A quick tip I’ve found to make battery changes easier is removing the atomizer, doing so gets the bf pin/tube more out of the way as well. IMO, it’s not hard/ much of an issue once it’s been done a few times, the reverse action same angle of how the ribbon removes it.
Also if someone wants to use it in non squonk mode, the regular non hole dna75c therion doors do fit.

Thank you!

Great tips, I really appreciate the added info. Hmmmm, was going to order a 3rd BF door, maybe a non hole door as well :idea:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That’s great to know!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you @Heartsdelight for the added info, can't wait until the firmware upgrade is available. I was using the Therion for a week or 2 before plugging into escribe and that is when I saw it already came loaded with Daniels theme. The whole time I was using it prior to plugging in I was thinking.....wow, Lost Vape set this up beautifully. It is the first DNA mod I own that I felt I could live with without ever having to plug it into escribe, this is how they should all be setup.

Thanks @skt239 , appreciate it bud!
Thanks for confirming it comes out of the box with Daniel’s themes!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great review mate as always I love the lost vape squonkers

How’s the fire button ....is it spongy? Some of the complaints from the earlier therions was they are sometimes sticky

Also how soft is that bottle? Was it stiff like the stock drone ones were?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great review mate as always I love the lost vape squonkers

How’s the fire button ....is it spongy? Some of the complaints from the earlier therions was they are sometimes sticky

Also how soft is that bottle? Was it stiff like the stock drone ones were?

Thanks man!

The button is actually better than the drone, the drone feels a little more spongy in comparison.

The bottle is the soft silicone, not like the earlier version of the drone. I got my Drone on the second run and it comes with the same bottle, you may be able to swap yours out with the Therion bottle, I can take pics of my Drone bottle area if that will help determine if it would work for you.

All around the Therion is a nicer mod than the Drone, you just have to deal with the single cell and 75 watt limitation.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks man!

The button is actually better than the drone, the drone feels a little more spongy in comparison.

The bottle is the soft silicone, not like the earlier version of the drone. I got my Drone on the second run and it comes with the same bottle, you may be able to swap yours out with the Therion bottle, I can take pics of my Drone bottle area if that will help determine if it would work for you.

All around the Therion is a nicer mod than the Drone, you just have to deal with the single cell and 75 watt limitation.

Great news on the button front!

They changed the bottles on the drone? - Bastards haha got a bunch of mod maker bottles I use now instead although they are only 8ml

Was thinking about something for my 22mm single coil atties around the 35-55w mark for squonking was looking at this or the HCigar

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great news on the button front!

They changed the bottles on the drone? - Bastards haha got a bunch of mod maker bottles I use now instead although they are only 8ml

Was thinking about something for my 22mm single coil atties around the 35-55w mark for squonking was looking at this or the HCigar
Is the hcigar the older dna75?
I really like @Heartsdelight VT, that is a real nice looking squonk mod. The only thing I don't like about hcigar dna's is they just come with the stock settings unless they recently changed that. You pretty much have to go through escribe to get the best performance out of them. Not to say I won't order one of the VT squonks one day though, I hear there great.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Is the hcigar the older dna75?
I really like @Heartsdelight VT, that is a real nice looking squonk mod. The only thing I don't like about hcigar dna's is they just come with the stock settings unless they recently changed that. You pretty much have to go through escribe to get the best performance out of them. Not to say I won't order one of the VT squonks one day though, I hear there great.

Yeah seen hearts one before in the vapemail thread I’m jelous haha I’m pretty sure there’s a V3 VT now?

Escribe is fine for me mate I have all my custom profile settings saved already ...Wingsfan sent me his a while back although for new DNA users can see the benefits having them all loaded already

Part of me wants to hold out for this new DNA replay thing though

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, I do love my Buddha panels with the God of Fire frame.

Hi guys :wave: yes, its the older dna 75 chipset. There is the V3 VT now but I think the only update is that it can accommodate silicone bottles now instead of the stock Hcigar plastic bottles. They changed the tubing system to be a more standardized bf, that would accept a lot of different silicone bottles.

The only issue that I can see is that from what I know, I could be wrong is that on a single battery the DNA 75 & DNA 75C only has about 85% efficiency. I remember @JuicyLucy saying she shelved her Lost Vape Therion Bf DNA 75 because of battery life. For me its a at home mod so no biggy I just switch batteries.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, I do love my Buddha panels with the God of Fire frame.

Hi guys :wave: yes, its the older dna 75 chipset. There is the V3 VT now but I think the only update is that it can accommodate silicone bottles now instead of the stock Hcigar plastic bottles. They changed the tubing system to be a more standardized bf, that would accept a lot of different silicone bottles.

The only issue that I can see is that from what I know, I could be wrong is that on a single battery the DNA 75 & DNA 75C only has about 85% efficiency. I remember @JuicyLucy saying she shelved her Lost Vape Therion Bf DNA 75 because of battery life. For me its a at home mod so no biggy I just switch batteries.

The DNA75C was just too darn short-lived to mess with when you consider the hassle you go through to change the battery - but that's just me

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Fantastic review! Once again beautiful pics! This one even more so with extra pics showing the battery/squonk compartment.

Does it come out of the box with Daniel’s theme’s? Or do you have to plug into escribe? I watched Daniels vid of the Lost Vapes

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team

Does it come out of the box with Daniel’s theme’s? Or do you have to plug into escribe? I watched Daniels vid of the Lost Vapes
Deja vu moment here.

VU Sponsors