Become a Patron!

Magnifying device for coil installs???

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been searching the forum, FastTech and Amazon for some sort of magnifying device to use for installing coils.

Trying to hold a magnifying glass in one hand and build with the other isn't working so well. I really struggled putting mesh into this Profile 1.5.. even with prescription glasses on I felt like I needed 4 hands - 1 hold rda, 1 for magnifier, 1 for mesh, and 1 for screwdriver.

I see people in videos using some kind of ball that the rda screws onto but I'm thinking I'll just use the coil meter deck rather than try to hold the rda or put it on a mod that tips over.

For those of you who are like me and NEED magnification, I am wondering what you are using, and what magnification works best (2, 5, 10)???

This is what I'm thinking of... https://a.co/d/9gsF15o - but perhaps someone else has a better idea. I'd rather not buy/return 5 things trying to get the right item if I can get a good recommendation.

Thanks much!!

1664989638596.png

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't have prescription glasses but need strong reading glasses (and good light) I just get high magnification glasses from dollar tree (cheap but work good enough) I also have a small desk lamp with "gooseneck". That lamp magnifier looks good too (what power is it?)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see... 5x (plenty strong) Hey, that looks really good! I thought it was 3 " lens but see it's a 5 " and the light is brighter than I expected. No batteries is great. I might get one myself.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So after reading reviews, I see an issue. The object (deck you are working on) has to be very close to the lens. You will have to mount your deck on something (always have to anyway) and then set that on something else to raise it up. Now I'm not sure about this. If you do just try strong reading glasses, you still need a good light (with gooseneck so you can angle it down and it doesn't also shine on your eyes) Don't laugh, but I'm low budget and make holders from plastic lids (mine is just a spray paint can lid with a hole drilled in it) The lid is black so it doesn't reflect light. I made the hole so the 510 fits somewhat tight.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No help with magnification, but are you saying your holding the rda in your hand while building it? If so, definitely a waste of a hand. Use a build stand, ohm reader, or mod to screw the rda into and have it stationary, freeing up that hand. I'm sure I have multiple ohm readers that don't work anymore, I could send one along if you don't have anything that fits that bill.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No help with magnification, but are you saying your holding the rda in your hand while building it? If so, definitely a waste of a hand. Use a build stand, ohm reader, or mod to screw the rda into and have it stationary, freeing up that hand. I'm sure I have multiple ohm readers that don't work anymore, I could send one along if you don't have anything that fits that bill.
I have one, thanks though! I started with it in my hand then screwed it onto my mod, which kept tipping over. Was just too lazy to get up and dig it out, lol.

Attachments

• Juices (2).jpg
    Juices (2).jpg
    236 KB · Views: 2

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So after reading reviews, I see an issue. The object (deck you are working on) has to be very close to the lens. You will have to mount your deck on something (always have to anyway) and then set that on something else to raise it up. Now I'm not sure about this. If you do just try strong reading glasses, you still need a good light (with gooseneck so you can angle it down and it doesn't also shine on your eyes) Don't laugh, but I'm low budget and make holders from plastic lids (mine is just a spray paint can lid with a hole drilled in it) The lid is black so it doesn't reflect light. I made the hole so the 510 fits somewhat tight.
Homemade from scraps is the best stuff.. Waste not, want not!

I have a light that works clamped and has a base - I was hoping to find a magnifier that would work like this lamp and I could just use the base. https://a.co/d/fKPtw9F

But yeah, def an issue if lens has to be right on the object as we need space for our hands to work! I just posted that as an example to show what kind of thing I was looking for.... hoping to find someone who has already figured this out, lol

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You might find other similar products that can focus on objects a bit further away (I'm into camera and telescope optics) I once tried using a good glass magnifier I had (handle sitting at and angle in a short glass) That was not practical at all (and wouldn't stay put) It was super strong but I also wore my reading glasses. There are some decent magnifier lenses made from plastic (and even what they call "aspherical" which is a good thing) The problem is they scratch and get hazy easily (you have to be super careful not to touch or get anything on them)

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll keep looking... Since my prescription glasses are 1.5 on one side and 1.75 on the other, wearing +2 reading glasses puts me just slightly over my prescription so I would need like +5 to +7 reading glasses. I didn't think they went higher than 3 but found these +6 on amazon... https://a.co/d/9xag6zg So maybe I'll give these a try - kinda steep for reading glasses but still cheaper than a $40-$100 magnifying lamp.

Don't think I'd fare well with the aspherical - I'd def have them all fingered up in no time.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@VapeOn1960 Thoughts on this???? https://a.co/d/8CN74gs It "shows" it being used a good distance from the object - but doesn't necessarily mean it actually works that way, lol

There is one 2 star review that says it's only a 2x not a 10x :( Why does everyone have to lie about the products they sell?!?!?!

1665098831489.png

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have one pretty much the same. Works great but is bulky.
Bulky is ok for my needs - can set it aside when not in use. Issue seems to be that either they have to be right on the object - leaving no room for hands to work on stuff, they claim to be 10x but are 2x, or the lens is only 3"/not big enough. I might just start with those 6x reading glasses to see how those work out. Amazon is loaded with garbage, lol they all seem to be the same thing, diff seller/price. I'm looking for a store that specializes in lenses who would tend to have higher quality stuff. Going to hit up hobby lobby this weekend so I can maybe put my hands on a few to see first hand.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I might just start with those 6x reading glasses to see how those work out.
Might be a bad idea (any reading glasses) for you, because of your left/right eyes needing different magnification (but I could be wrong... at high mag ratings it might not be an issue) Stick with your regular glasses and get a separate magnifier lens. The real issue is "focal length... it seems most of these have short distance from lens to object (that sucks) I will admit I'm not an eye doctor and not sure about your situation. Go to a "dollar store" and get some 3x reading glasses to try (that's what I have) This will give you and idea of how much mag you need (and if reading glasses are suited to your situation) I may be an expert on camera/telescope optics but not glasses.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have one pretty much the same. Works great but is bulky.
Do you have to get the lens really close? Can you estimate how many inches away it is when you build?
We are just guessing... at least you have first hand experience. Also, do you normally need reading glasses for fine print?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm really interested in this topic... I'm 62 and my eyes are getting worse (currently need a stronger pair of readers)

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what we are trying to figure out -

reading reviews ...

some say they have to be right on the object which wont work as we need space for our hands.

Some reviews say they are more like 2x rather than the advertised 10x.

Some are only 3" but we are looking for 5" lens

Some have crap lighting.

Some die/cloud/scratch...

So much false advertising - I'd rather not buy and return 10 items trying to find the right one, lol I'll give this thread some time for others to find it. Hoping to come across someone who has found the perfect item and will share the specifics.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is what I use:
Those are nice but have you been following this thread?
First, the highest power is 3x (I got 3x reading glasses at dollar tree for $1.25)
Second, both OP and I already have a good lamp (and these require 3 AAA batteries)
Third... over $40.
OP wants higher power... like 4X or more.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are nice but have you been following this thread?
First, the highest power is 3x (I got 3x reading glasses at dollar tree for $1.25)
Second, both OP and I already have a good lamp (and these require 3 AAA batteries)
Third... over $40.
OP wants higher power... like 4X or more.
yes - I'm thinking 5x would do the job - so long as it's actually 5x

$42 seems steep for a plastic headband/lenses!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You've probably already tried this, so I realize it probably won't be of any help, but I'm going to put it out here anyway.

Have you tried building with no glasses and no magnification, just good light?

My vision isn't good - -3.50/-3.75 distance and +2.25 up close - but I can see fine to build when I just get rid of the glasses altogether and work under good light and at a fairly close distance.

When I'm reading from my phone or from an actual book, I have to get rid of the glasses then, too.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can see at a distance but everything is blurry up close. I use my phone A LOT... take pics and blow stuff up so I can read it. But that wont work for this application as I need to be able to see in action.
Putting in a coil isnt too bad, I just 'find the hole" but these Clapton NexMesh strips have a very tiny edge to them that get clamped in. In order to see that and make sure it's straight, I need significant magnification.

Found one of these soldering set-ups while cleaning my dads garage yesterday...
1665852767233.png
Will try this - it's free - but feel like I need something a little bigger and with more magnification.

Am considering this as I could use it with my script glasses and only $20
https://a.co/d/3rCBksj

1665852927013.png

VU Sponsors