Become a Patron!

Mathematical shortfill help request

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello again & thank you for the warm welcome!
First of all, I’m editing this to reflect that I see there’s an E liquid calculator and I’m going to attempt to solve this on my own but still request help on the followin mystifying issue
I purchased large amount of 100 mg nicotine PG, as I described before. Still hoping that wasn’t a mistake (fingers crossed). I usually only vape at 3 or 6mg so it was a leap of faith for me.
Anyway, I’m considering buying short fill bottle of eliquid and was wondering how I go about figuring how much of my 100mg nicotine pg liquid to place in order for the final product to be 6 mg strength. I’ve wondered how I was going to solve that 94mg discrepancy.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I didn’t do well with mathematics in school, keep it remedial. I hope I’m not overlooking an obvious answer, perhaps an equation engine - I’m thinking I read about one....
thanks in advance, serena
PS I do know how to measure, weigh and tare so that’s one advantage I have

Last edited:

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just saw the “how to use an eliquid calculator”
Hoping that may solve the Rubix cube for me...

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The math is kind of easy - there are a few ways to look at it, but maybe this approach will help.

Let's assume you are getting 0-nic (zero) flavored liquid, and adding some of your 100mg nic to a bottle.

If you want the end result to be a particular strength, all you need to do is this:

1) How big is the bottle? (example: 30 mls)
2) What strength do you want? (example: 6 mg)
3) MULTIPLY: (example: 30 mls x 6 mg = 180 mg of nicotine in the bottle, all together)
4) So how much 100 mg nic do you need to get that total mg? DIVIDE (example 180/100 = 1.8ml)
5) That's how many mls of the 100 ml nic you put in the bottle (example: 1.8 mls of 100 mg/ml nic in a 30 ml bottle will give you 180 mg/30ml = 6mg/ml strength

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First of all, I’m editing this to reflect that I see there’s an E liquid calculator and I’m going to attempt to solve this on my own but still request help on the followin mystifying issue
I purchased large amount of 100 mg nicotine PG, as I described before. Still hoping that wasn’t a mistake (fingers crossed). I usually only vape at 3 or 6mg so it was a leap of faith for me.
Anyway, I’m considering buying short fill bottle of eliquid and was wondering how I go about figuring how much of my 100mg nicotine pg liquid to place in order for the final product to be 6 mg strength. I’ve wondered how I was going to solve that 94mg discrepancy.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I didn’t do well with mathematics in school, keep it remedial. I hope I’m not overlooking an obvious answer, perhaps an equation engine - I’m thinking I read about one....
Just noticed I didn't "reply" to notify you...
Hope this helps, though!

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope this helps, though!
Super helpful, and accurate for what I’m attempting to accomplish. Thanks for breaking it down the way u did. I got same answer on eliquid calculator but no idea HOW. Now I know.
Thanks again

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope this helps, though!

Could u (or anyone else) please walk me through equation if the desired end strength Is still 6mg, but the PG nic base is say, 6mg, or 36mg, and so on. It seems as tho math will be difficult

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The math is kind of easy - there are a few ways to look at it, but maybe this approach will help.

Let's assume you are getting 0-nic (zero) flavored liquid, and adding some of your 100mg nic to a bottle.

If you want the end result to be a particular strength, all you need to do is this:

1) How big is the bottle? (example: 30 mls)
2) What strength do you want? (example: 6 mg)
3) MULTIPLY: (example: 30 mls x 6 mg = 180 mg of nicotine in the bottle, all together)
4) So how much 100 mg nic do you need to get that total mg? DIVIDE (example 180/100 = 1.8ml)
5) That's how many mls of the 100 ml nic you put in the bottle (example: 1.8 mls of 100 mg/ml nic in a 30 ml bottle will give you 180 mg/30ml = 6mg/ml strength
Could u (or anyone else) please walk me through equation if the desired end strength Is still 6mg, but the PG nic base is say, 6mg, or 36mg, and so on. It seems as tho math will be difficult
Use up to step 3 above. But make the 100 in step 4 your base strength

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dang that sounds easy... I’m gonna whip one out and steep it for a LONG minute or two then voila, I am gonna go shopping for flavors and pg/vg.

Thanks for the patience !

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the benefit of hindsight, I opted to use an liquid calculator instead pop trusting my very sketchy math skills.
Also, I am now working from a 100mg VG bottle (transferred to a smaller bottle for ease of use).
However, I am considering making my own VG/PG Nic solution.
If I wanted to make a VG/PG blend Nic solution, is that a recommended practice? The solutions I have used were always all PG with 24mg or 36mg Nic OR now using 100mg in 100% VG.

I get there is a benefit to watering it down, esp when I was using a PG solution, it eliminated a step from my recipe - no more additional PG, it comes into my recipe with the nicotine. I don't see any similar benefit to the VG unless I can create a 3mg, VG/PG blend unflavored base liquid for say, single flavor tests or for anything else. I was going to look that up later tonite unless anyone here has pros/cons, knows of any sites/links or suggestions on how to make a Nic solution?

I have 30 ml with zero nic
I want 3mg x 30ml = 90mg divided by 6mg nic = 15ml
Same equation target nicotine 6mg
30ml x 6mg =180mg divided by 6mg nic = 30
better yet - eliquid calculator not calculus lol

Last edited:
Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I didn’t do well with mathematics in school, keep it remedial. I managed to finish school more or less well only thanks to and daily practice. I set myself the goal of solving many problems, which I checked later through special resources with math homework help and answers. I hope I’m not overlooking an obvious answer, perhaps an equation engine - I’m thinking I read about one....
Don't worry, I'm just starting to figure it out myself and I don't understand a lot of things either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't worry, I'm just starting to figure it out myself and I don't understand a lot of things either.
Thanks and I gotta admit, I'm surprised at how fast I picked up on the math portion of vaping. I mean math has been a major shortcoming for me my entire life, so I wasn't thrilled at tackling it to make my own eliquids.
I've vaped long enough to develop a passion for it, and also to realize that most commercial eliquids were a scam. When you figure that a $30 bottle is 85-90% diluted with minimal # flavorings in order to be cost effective, and even w/max flavoring and max VG - its still super cheap to make the stuff (now the FDA and the postman have their hands in my wallet?!) - its past time to mix my own!
Once you have the hang of using the eliquid calculator its very simple math. I even memorized some basic formulas that I mix most often. There's a video link of how to use the liquid calculator - watch it, learn it, LIVE it, LOVE IT LOL.
Also, I wish I had known this BEFORE I started to buy concentrates - make an account at:
https://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

***Get familiar with the FLAVOR STASH option - its basically ur pantry of concentrates. Don't worry if you don't have any yet bc that's preferable to buying a bunch you later regret. At the top of the screen, go to RESOURCES and then the FLAVOR LIST (if you need more info on how to look up flavors, don't be afraid to ask in the forum).
What I am getting at is there are user's NOTES that u are allowed to skim and read, even copy the notes. You'll soon learn that some brands are better known for their creams and vanillas, while others have outstanding fruits, and others make a mean tobacco. I don't think any ONE brand does everything great 100% of the time (FA? maybe more often but NOT even Flavor Art gets it perfect 100% of the time, just try their blackberry YUCK lol).

Which leads me to my last point: do not buy large bottles of ANY unknown flavor even if you think you LOVE that flavor and would use it all the time. Stick with the small 10ml until you personally try it and still read the notes, they're unbiased reviews from people outside of sales!

Even if you LOVE a flavor and there is a brand you like who makes it - its still possible to need/want another brand of the SAME flavors - for example - Raspberry Ice Cream sounds simple but most raspberry flavors don't mix well with most creams, iced or otherwise - no creams of any sort. I learned that after buying a bunch of 10ml, and a dozen test mixes trying to figure out a combination that wasn't revolting. Once I read other mixer's notes, I realized what the issue was and knew it was going to take time to mix the flavor I wanted to chase I mean taste

Raspberry Ripple - I now have a short list to work from; and other uses for the other raspberries that won't ever be in my Raspberry ice cream recipe. Oh yeah, 1 last thing in the same vein of mixing: you don't HAVE TO re-invent the wheel (but you can certainly try if you'd like to). Last night I saw a recipe, no make that TWO new recipes on Alltheflavors.com for Waspberry Whipple (yup, raspberry ice cream). Might skip ahead to the front of the line and try those recipes out, scrap my little test vials of vile liquid experiments. Hey that was clever!

Good luck and I hope this message helps to inspire somebody. My two typing fingers are sore!!

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Idk if this will help anyone, but it sure helped me. It is exactly what Train said but in words instead of numbers.
Batch × desired strength ÷ nic strength = ml's of nic solution

I have some 100mg nic, and some 48mg nic, and finding the difference was giving me trouble, until going to this equation.
Regardless of the strength, using that equation will always give the number of ml of nic to add.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just use the recipe calculator at ELR. Easy peasy.

VU Sponsors