Meet Samsung’s Blindingly Bright 2000-nit Super Ultrawide Gaming Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Samsung Odyssey G9 has been the most feature-packed, high-end super ultrawide gaming monitor for years, and now it’s getting even better with the Neo G9.

The Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 takes everything we loved about the original monitor – including the 49-inch screen size 5,120 x 1,440 resolution, 240Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, FreeSync, and G-Sync compatibility – and then it doubles the screen brightness to a blinding 2000-nits.

[widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="slug=samsung-odyssey-neo-g9&captions=true"]
That’s basically five times brighter than most gaming monitors, and it’s able to achieve this level of luminance thanks to the new Quantum Mini LED display technology that Samsung basically pulled from its Neo QLED 4K TV lineup.

The new mini LED display basically packs the screen with hundreds of light-emitting diodes that are 1/40 the size of a traditional LED that also happens to be four times as bright. The result is a screen that looks spectacularly bright while also producing some amazing deep blacks. In fact, during my hands-on time with the display, there was hardly any bloom when I had a white Windows explorer window over a dark desktop background.

That’s not the only thing Odyssey Neo G9 has pulled from Samsung’s TVs; it also features two HDMI 2.1 ports, so it’s ready to take full advantage of all the latest graphics cards in addition to the Xbox Series X and PS5.

Specs aside, the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 offers up an amazing gaming experience unlike any other gaming monitor thanks to its massive screen size and enveloping curvature. When you sit down in front of your entire peripheral vision is taken up by the monitor’s 1000R curve that’s designed to match the natural shape of the human eye.

There’s just something magical about sitting in front of this monitor, especially while playing games. It almost felt like I was playing Doom Eternal in virtual reality, but without actually wearing a VR headset, as all the action was happening all around me on this round screen. Not only did everything look extra sharp thanks to the Neo G9’s high-resolution it also looked like it was happening in real-time at 240Hz.

The Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 will be available for pre-order on July 29th for $2,499, and it’s expected to ship in mid-August. Samsung also told us that it will offer a free JBL Quantum One gaming headset as a preorder incentive, but the promotion is only available on the company's direct website.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]
Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Kevin Lee is IGN's SEO Updates Editor. Follow him on Twitter
@baggingspam

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors