Become a Patron!

Merlin Mini MTL build

LiquidScale

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys, need a little help with my new Merlin Mini RTA. I bought it just because of MTL possibility and great single coil deck.

For DL I have Obs Engine already.

I put the smallest reducer and built 8 wrap 26ga ss316l 3 mm diameter coil giving me 0,544 ohms. But I don't get proper flavor from it and even have quickly burnt cotton (1 day). I have very little cotton through the coil and very fluffy just to cover the juice holes.

I run it on 20 watts in TC mode 280 Celsius with Tcr 0.00108 on Alien mod.

Do you have any advices please??

Thanks a lot!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Change tcr to 0.00092, reduce temp and work your way up to a good vape temp.
I don't have an alien but have read many times that it sucks at TC so maybe even having the correct tcr for 316L won't help but it's worth a try.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try in watts mod to see if it performs better. I would say more cotton in the coil as you say you have very little. Enough cotton so that it glides nicely when pulling wick left to right, a slight resistance. Then fluff tails, cut & tuck.

LiquidScale

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Changing Tcr to 0.00092 gives me temp protected pretty fast - 2s

I think the cotton is right in the spot - it gives me a little resistance when pulling but not too much to distort the coil.

I am not sure with the power 20 watts? Is it OK? I used a steam engine tool to help.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like heartsdelight mentioned, try in power mode to drill down to the issue then play around with TC once you have it working properly.
20w seems a bit low for a 0.5 coil but burning wicks doesn't support that theory. Propper TC should allow watts to be quite a bit higher than what the coil could handle in power mode but there are so many variables with TC, go back to the basics in power mode and get close to what you are looking for then mess with TC.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Changing Tcr to 0.00092 gives me temp protected pretty fast - 2s

I think the cotton is right in the spot - it gives me a little resistance when pulling but not too much to distort the coil.

I am not sure with the power 20 watts? Is it OK? I used a steam engine tool to help.
The recommended tcr for ss316L is .0092. Not .00092. And yes you can start at 20 watts & can go up from there since your coil is .54.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some mods drop a decimal place from what I've seen. Some are 0092 and others are 00092 like Artery nugget and I think Wisemec vs yihi.

But yeah, if hitting TC too soon at 00092, try raising temp or change tcr to 0092.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, depending on what mod you have in your hands, you could be right or you could be wrong ;)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys, need a little help with my new Merlin Mini RTA. I bought it just because of MTL possibility and great single coil deck.

For DL I have Obs Engine already.

I put the smallest reducer and built 8 wrap 26ga ss316l 3 mm diameter coil giving me 0,544 ohms. But I don't get proper flavor from it and even have quickly burnt cotton (1 day). I have very little cotton through the coil and very fluffy just to cover the juice holes.

I run it on 20 watts in TC mode 280 Celsius with Tcr 0.00108 on Alien mod.

Do you have any advices please??

Thanks a lot!

Thinking about it, that build doesn't sound like a mtl build.
You have a lot less air flowing over a smaller area with the smallest restrictor in there.
You probably want a 28g 2.5mm ID contact coil closer to 1 ohm for a mtl build.

LiquidScale

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have good luck using TCR with Clapton made of 26 ga ss316l - 32ga Kanthal... That's what I have on the Engine... There it's okay. But with simple ss316l can't get it to work.

Not really sure if 26ga is the right wire for mtl vaping. Or could I do some other things wrong?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If yorlur mod can TC the engine, it can TC the merlin mini.

Try running a normal build without the restrictor in the mini to know that its not the tank.
If that works normal, work on your tc build but yeah, I think you need a thinner wire for a propper mtl build.

LiquidScale

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thinking about it, that build doesn't sound like a mtl build.
You have a lot less air flowing over a smaller area with the smallest restrictor in there.
You probably want a 28g 2.5mm ID contact coil closer to 1 ohm for a mtl build.
The idea of getting 26 ga was that it's better for manipulation and easier to change the cotton in the coil.

Would it help to use bigger restrictor with this build?

When I tried to make a coil non-spaced, the TC didn't work at all. It showed temp protected right after firing the button.
Oh no :blech: my mistake u guys are right, sorry.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The idea of getting 26 ga was that it's better for manipulation and easier to change the cotton in the coil.

Would it help to use bigger restrictor with this build?

When I tried to make a coil non-spaced, the TC didn't work at all. It showed temp protected right after firing the button.

Yeah, all but the most precise mods need spaced coils for propper TC performance.
Bigger restrictor and 2.5mm coil with 26g would be better, but for true mtl, you need a mtl build and the pinner restrictor.
There are a few mtl threads, maybe they could help... I haven't built mtl for years.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was playing with mtl on the merlin mini, I was at like 1.1 ohms at like 14-17w. I was using 28 kanthal I think. It's been a while.

LiquidScale

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So for now :

I have: 70VG/30PG juice
26ga ss316l
26ga Kanthal
Clapton 26ga ss316l/ 32ga Kanthal
Drill bit of 2,5 and 3 mm

Please send me the tips for mtl build with these things with use of bigger and smaller restrictor.

For example - is it possible to use that Clapton as mtl build - 0,6 ohm 3 mm with bigger restrictor?

Or 26 ga Kanthal, 2,5 mm with smaller restrictor giving me 1 ohm?

Thanks a lot

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the problem will be the surface area of the coil the airflow will hit with the restrictors.
If you are using 26g anything you are going to need a pretty long coil to reach anywhere near 1 ohm. Then the airflow will be hitting just the center of the coil.

Won't hurt to try but I think you are going to need some 28g or 29g wire to make a small enough coil to keep most of the coil in the airflow while staying up around 1 ohm.

I say ditch the restrictor and throw a clapton in:cloud: till you have the supplies for a mtl build.

I try dual micro coil on single deck Merlin mini without airflow pin , I twisted coil leg : 28g A1 1.5mm 8 wrap 20-25watt & 26g A1 2mm 11 wrap 30-40watt .. not so bad , flavor good and big cloud .. šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• IMG-20220812-WA0004~3.jpg
    IMG-20220812-WA0004~3.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

VU Sponsors