Become a Patron!

Mild chest pain when switching from pod systems to first mod

Hey guys, I started vaping a few years ago to quit smoking and only ever used pod systems like Juul, Sourin, and most recently Caliburn. Wanted to up my game a bit as well as make the switch over from nic salts to strictly freebase juice.

I bought the Smok RPM Lite probably a year ago but never really used until now. Tried using it today but everytime I did experienced some very mild chest pain specifically around my rib cage. Running with a .8 ohm coil at the recommended 16 wattage and some 6mg freebase juice that otherwise vapes fine in my Caliburn G.

Wondering if I'm doing something incorrectly or my body is just not used to this method of vaping if that is a thing? Figured I would try to get some insight on a promising looking forum rather than try to sift through endless health warnings on google if you try to search anything with "vaping" and "pain" in the same sentence.

Thank you.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Would seriously suggest you seek an in-person medical evaluation - none of us here are qualified to make a medical diagnosis online

You deserve applause for not jumping down the "vaping is bad" propaganda and misinformation google shits out, but really, seek expert medical opinion.

Hopefully your medical provider understands real science and health and vaping, or they will just freak on ya for vaping at all

The vast majority of VU vapers experienced much better health after switching to vaping

If you think there is a connection, switch back to salts and see how that affects your vaping experience

And welcome to VU

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just for curiosities sake what is the VG/PG Ratio of the E-Liquid you vaped?

Welcome to the VU @Fergy747 and I hope you enjoy your stay~! I agree with Juicy 100% but since it just started simple enough to stop and see if it goes away. Good Luck

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Completely deleted then re-edited

As i am sitting here vaping i remembered, when i use a pod system or any mtl really (dont really use pods), i tend not to inhale past my upper throat, barely into my lungs, kind of like a cigar.

When u dtl, u suck that vape directly into your lungs, right down to the bottom, is it possible thats what u r feeling?

Last edited:

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Completely deleted then re-edited

As i am sitting here vaping i remembered, when i use a pod system, i tend not to inhale past my upper throat, barely into my lungs, kind of like a cigar.

When u dtl, u suck that vape directly into your lungs, right down to the bottom, is it possible thats what u r feeling?
what nic level are using?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So many here (self included) have compromised health from years of smoking

While vaping helped improve our current situations, it doesn't always erase years or decades of damage so get it checked out if you have potentially life threatening symptoms

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know my hubby uses a very narrow drip tip, and is used to that. He gaga and coughs when puffing off my big bore 810 drip tips. The amount of vapor inhaled at one time could case discomfort. Going from nic salts to vape juice when you aint used to it can take a bit to get used to it. Pace yourself. Don't go hog-wild.

You can go see your doctor. Prepare to be told to just quit vaping. They will probably hand you pamphlets full of propaganda with coupons for nicotine patches that do not work.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I had a doctor tell me if i was going to do anything, just go back to smoking.

These ppl know nothing. They cant even agree what is healthy to eat. I know i dont cough up black stuff every morning and they just proved vaping doesnt cause lung cells to become cancerous the same way smoking does. thats good enough for me

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Umm, i think u r asking the wrong person, i dont use a nic level that would be even remotely comparable.

The OP is vaping at 6mg, which is pretty low for that ro be the problem, i would think, but coming off a caliburn to whatever that smok is plus the freebase, which will tickle a bit more, plus the huge increase in vapor alone might be causing a feeling.

I know i do get a little chest 'uncomfortable' if i hold my vape in deep or if i dont exhale it enough, but its very clear what the reason was because its usually accompanied by a cough

(I mix it up around 4% if u r curious tho )
sorry bout that...may be one hit wonderitis

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Please post a link to this Very Interesting statement.
Im looking for it, they did a study, within the last year, that showed that vape did not cause lung cells to become cancerous the same as cigs do.

I cant find it at the moment, i will try to find the actual article for u

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Please post a link to this Very Interesting statement.
Im getting closer...its related to this..look at the info from the uk, it tends to be more reliable than ours

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
There is an actual paper where they tested it and found the opposite results, that it did not cause that dna damage, i can not find it. It may have been scrubbed from the internet considering the powers that be

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Here is another relevant one, look for stuff post 2020...everything before that is just 'vaping will kill u'

Edit-i give up, i dont know why i cant find it. Its not like it was a fun thing to read, incredibly boring.

(Apologies to everyone for my quadruple post)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i dont know why i cant find it.

Two valid reasons:

1. T.P.T.B (The Powers That Be) are concealing it as it bears out an objective truth.

2. You're simply trying too hard and "forcing" it. Never chase butterflies. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also have chosen to vape 100% like a cigar...never dtl...just let it absorb in while u hold the vapor in your mouth.
But anyone else ive ever been responsible for is happy healthy and thriving...so they now how i am...i try to help from afar as best i can whenever i can to make sure they dont grow up broken on the inside

I vape direct to lung style.

Through no fault of yours, I'm someone that "grew up" being "broken inside". Still am that quite a bit. Recently though my wife assured me, I still have a soul.

My point being this; How I vape has no bearing on being "broken inside" nor does being broke bear on how I vape. I vape like I used to toke on that sweet leaf salad in a water bong do something else.

As far as I'm aware nicotine on its own isn't cancerous. I'll add a disclaimer here though, I can be in error, that's part of the human condition. Think @JuicyLucy gave the best advice, go for a flesh to flesh check up with a bon-fid-a medical healthcare pro. Yeah, I know a lot of them go quackity quack. Still rather not be liable for someone doing something stupid and ignoring a "sign" of "something serious" health wise. I'm no doc nor do I wanna play one.

As for doctors being quacks? I'm living proof twice over. My mom was never supposed to have kids. I'm her first of three. I died when 11 months old, 7 minutes and change, clinically brain dead nearly legally too. I'm now 50 years young, so obviously, "I got better."

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes...but since i stated that i have more wish to be even a little less harmful because i care i would like to dial an back an assume the risk of a cigar equivalent, rather than cigarette equivalent, because i didnt just finish... i actually managed to do some good to try n make up for all the bad.so eh maybe i feel a little better now about what i accomplished.

I made many mistakes along the way...dit of stupid stupid stuff that an ignorant younger man who decided to not come collect to florida from the north when that was the appropriate way to do it, because he was birthed by someone who did come to florida corectly.

Maybe we should just accept the fact the we no longer have the right to claim we get to be the only industrialized nation...florida is going to decide what florida is gonna decide cuz thats what florida duz...

That was then...this was now...they r going to need to decide amongst themselves what they want to make florida, its not for the rest of the country to force florida to do anything..

I forfeited my right to be there

As a native born Floridian, I too have seemingly give up right to be there. I was born in Uncle Walt's town. That explains me being Goofy. ;) :p

My dad was living down there. He passed earlier this year. There was no love between me, and at least two of his other kids. He took the stupid award by molesting a little girl who had no muscular control over herself, she has/had MD/MS.

Thought I wished him ill after hearing that of him. Strangely enough I had compassion for him, just enough to say "well he was my sperm donor." He and mom got together for me in a '68 VW beetle bug.

I was best man. So yeah I'm that kind of guy. Glad dad did die of his own accord. He had some bad heart trouble and a hint of cancer. At least he didn't get hit by this last hurricane.

Yes, to hit Orlando, it had to go through Bunnel & Flagler. You know then where I was at age 17 for about nine months. Rode in Bike Week in Daytona, got turned loose with the Angels for three days. Dad knew some of them from doing P.I. work. Put my brother's name in The Book. He put mine in.

I would sometimes sneak out, go sleep with gators in the swamp near the home there. Mind I loathed the damn coral snakes sneaking up. White scorpions aren't so fun either. Got a case of sun poison but passed out for two days after eating four boxes of benedryl and guzzling half a fifth of o' some cheap rum.

Dad taught me to use 9 mm pistol on armadillos at night. Real fun times for sure.I miss it a bit but getting so it's just as bad up here in WV. Really enjoyed having to go with a buddy to find the ever moving village of Hell, LA. They had the best gumbo with nutrina in it and damn good green spoon coffee.

BronzyIsland

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, I started vaping a few years ago to quit smoking and only ever used pod systems like Juul, Sourin, and most recently Caliburn. Wanted to up my game a bit as well as make the switch over from nic salts to strictly freebase juice.

I bought the Smok RPM Lite probably a year ago but never really used until now. Tried using it today but everytime I did experienced some very mild chest pain specifically around my rib cage. Running with a .8 ohm coil at the recommended 16 wattage and some 6mg freebase juice that otherwise vapes fine in my Caliburn G.

Wondering if I'm doing something incorrectly or my body is just not used to this method of vaping if that is a thing? Figured I would try to get some insight on a promising looking forum rather than try to sift through endless health warnings on google if you try to search anything with "vaping" and "pain" in the same sentence.

Thank you.
many years ago, when i first tried vaping. switching from smoking to vaping...i made the mistake of switching to vaping with the nicotine strength too low. when i switched to vaping i went to 6mg freebase then to 3mg. but i made the mistake of switching to vaping with the mg strength too low to switch to.
about 6 months into vaping i started getting lung pains every time i vaped. thought there was something seriously wrong but my lung health was better than it was in years.
point is, i was getting nicotine withdrawal pains and didnt realize till i smoked cigs again and the vaping lung pains went away. my lungs were paining me because i was giving it too low of nicotine strength.

im 90% sure you are having "nicotine withdrawal" pains. like i did.
go back to vaping salt nic.for now.. and when you switch to freebase. make sure you switch to 12mg for months, then 9mg for months, then 6mg etc etc.
in other words take your time getting to lower and lower nic strengths.

VU Sponsors