Become a Patron!
Hey, folks, I'm new to DIY mixing, and I have some questions. But first let me lay out the facts of my current situation (which I realise is not entirely ideal).
  • My nicotine base is 30PG/70VG with 36mg/mL.
  • I have a bottle of 30PG/70VG pre-mixed. (I realise I should buy these separate, but alas, that's not what I have at the moment.)
  • All of my flavours are PG based.
  • I typically shoot for a target ratio of 30PG/70VG (yes, you can start to see the issue already), with 12-16mg/mL nicotine.
Okay, now the questions:
  1. I'm not sure how to use my pre-mixed PG/VG base in a recipe calculators; they all seem to presume I have separate PG and VG sources. For the time being, at least, should I just add the PG and VG volumes together? (For example, if the caluclator/recipe says to add 1.3mL PG and 5.7mL VG, should I just add that together and use 7mL of my mix?)
  2. The now clearly foreseen problem is that, because my bases are all 30/70, and my target is 30/70, but my flavours are all PG based, the recipe/calculator often tells me I need negative PG. How can I fix this (with the resources I have, or without needing to get a whole lot of new stuff)?
    1. Would it work if I bought a separate bottle of VG and added as much VG as the recipe tells me to subtract PG? (So, if the recipe says '-2mL PG', I would instead add 2mL of VG.) Does that math check out?
  3. I have some small 10mL bottles of pre-mixed flavours, and I'm not entirely sure how to use them. If the bottle recommends 4-7% concentration, is that what I put into the calculator? And then should I just play with the numbers until the volume of flavour reaches 10mL? Or how do I do this?
  4. My recipe calculator asks for/has the option for the %PG in my flavourings. None of my flavours, though, indicate the %PG (or %VG, for that matter...but all of them are PG based, and all have 'water', as well as some other things like the flavour itself, listed under the ingredients). How can I find out what %PG my flavours are?
Thank you for your help!

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
First off try using a simplistic recipe calculator such as the app pictured here. That's the one I use, but you didn't mention which one you're using. It is very self explanatory. Plug your existing ingredients in there as they are and get back to me with any remaining questions or difficulties.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/
5c260cab22bafed6d4a8ba5dd906500b.jpg

First off try using a simplistic recipe calculator such as the app pictured here. That's the one I use, but you didn't mention which one you're using. It is very self explanatory. Plug your existing ingredients in there as they are and get back to me with any remaining questions or difficulties.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wts-wtt-aspex-performance-coils.434798/
5c260cab22bafed6d4a8ba5dd906500b.jpg

Thanks for your reply. I'm using The Juice Grinder currently. Is the app you're using available online (in browser) or on iOS? I can't read the name of the developer (it's too blury on my screen--sorry).

Creature0069

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're putting too much thought into this. Since your nic and base are already at the percentages you prefer, use the calculator as if you're using 100% pg for everything. Your final mix will be so close to what you prefer it won't matter. Worst case you end up with a 35/65 mix.

If you're using an online calculator, try this one https://www.steam-engine.org/juice.html It's pretty easy.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I’m remembering correctly, ELR has a premixed base option? I definitely could be wrong, though.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
ELR does have that option on the calculator. I've not used it myself. I mix up my own nic base so just enter 0nic and check max vg.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ELR does have that option on the calculator. I've not used it myself. I mix up my own nic base so just enter 0nic and check max vg.
You can not save your recipes when using a premixed base on ELR, it does not currently have support for that, so you would need to change it every single time you wanted to create/ or remix. Meaning save your recipe as max vg or something in order for it to save.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Save, rename it or modify an existing recipe plus no download or install and available from anywhere using ecigvape.com.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Seems to me like you could set your recipe at 30/70 and then add the amounts of PG and VG together.

VU Sponsors