Become a Patron!

mod suggestions

I have been vaping for a long time now and I have always used nic salt devices but, I want to start to decreasing my nic percentage. I am currently using a smok Nord x. any suggestions on mods
PS: i want to start cloud chasing.

I have been vaping for a long time now and I have always used nic salt devices but, I want to start to decreasing my nic percentage. I am currently using a smok Nord x. any suggestions on mods
the maker doesn't really matter to me as long as they are reliable devices

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Are you in USA?

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Any vape device is very subjective, as you probably know. Cloud chasing involves much more work than you are probably accustomed to. But you can produce some great clouds with regulated mods with little fuss. You can look at reviews to try to gauge what you may like, but if you stay within the confines of the major mass producers of regulated mods you will most likely find something you really like. At this point in time it's always a toss of the dice.

Edit: One of my personal favorites that is a recent release is the Oxva Velocity.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Big clouds = more power, more juice.
A DNA250C mod would be reliable. There are others but might as well get the best, esp w/bans looming.
At least 4 batteries so 2 can charge while mod is in use.
An external charger.
A rebuildable RTA or RDA or tank with factory coils, with lots of air flow.
Change to [freebase] regular nic.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well with the vape mail ban you will be limited to what you can get at your local shop. Or purchased 2nd hand.

SUKMYVAPOR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
why do all these new members sound like trolls . my question is why switch the style of vaping if its been working so far ??? and how long is a long time ? I seen this guys post earlier but the trolls are on the hunt for more BS .. and a nord is fill your own as far as i know.. so reducing nic is easy buy less mg juice . I smell Bullshit guys

Any vape device is very subjective, as you probably know. Cloud chasing involves much more work than you are probably accustomed to. But you can produce some great clouds with regulated mods with little fuss. You can look at reviews to try to gauge what you may like, but if you stay within the confines of the major mass producers of regulated mods you will most likely find something you really like. At this point in time it's always a toss of the dice.

Edit: One of my personal favorites that is a recent release is the Oxva Velocity.
yes u do know i would like to get into mech mods in the future thank u

why do all these new members sound like trolls . my question is why switch the style of vaping if its been working so far ??? and how long is a long time ? I seen this guys post earlier but the trolls are on the hunt for more BS .. and a nord is fill your own as far as i know.. so reducing nic is easy buy less mg juice . I smell Bullshit guys
i mean ok i just wanted a suggestion but whatever

A DNA250C mod would be reliable. There are others but might as well get the best, esp w/bans looming.
An external charger.
thank u for the reply

ok thank you for the suggestion and the reply

seems like the only bullshit u smell is your self :)

An external charger.
the answer is probally yes but is it worth to get a smart charger for the 18650's

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
the answer is probally yes but is it worth to get a smart charger for the 18650's
Yes it is. Keeps us safer, and not trying to vape while connected to a usb power cable and not all can vape while charging. If it has "passthrough" it can but ill advised.

1616960812670.png

A great price for that charger. If theyā€™re still in stock when they get my 2 battery choices, Iā€™ll be getting one myself and Iā€™ll use the usb input to keep the charging amps at .5 or 1 for battery longevity.

Last edited:
Yes it is. Keeps us safer, and not trying to vape while connected to a usb power cable and not all can vape while charging. If it has "passthrough" it can but ill advised.

View attachment 179957

A great price for that charger. If theyā€™re still in stock when they get my other 2 battery choices, Iā€™ll be getting one myself and Iā€™ll use the usb input to keep the charging amps at .5 or 1 for battery longevity.
thank you for the suggestion

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If it sounds like a road you want to go down, I'll keep going..
If not, what?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Clouds are fun @input. I dig them in a very informal way. I do them for my own entertainment and occasionally to show off at my b&m's vape lounge. I do rings well and that is about it for tricks. Mechs, when you get to that point are great for chasing but a good variable voltage mod is equally and easier to maneuver though. So have fun. Read and learn your vape and gear. I have fun vaping and I hope you enjoy it as well. Peace to you and yours.
Rick

Clouds are fun @input. I dig them in a very informal way. I do them for my own entertainment and occasionally to show off at my b&m's vape lounge. I do rings well and that is about it for tricks. Mechs, when you get to that point are great for chasing but a good variable voltage mod is equally and easier to maneuver though. So have fun. Read and learn your vape and gear. I have fun vaping and I hope you enjoy it as well. Peace to you and yours.
Rick
I cant wait to get my first mod and i do want to get into mechs and building coils and i am reading about how to properly deal with battery's

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Generally Samsung or Molicel. A vaper can use a battery for general use or specific use, and that's decided by type of gear/wattage/vaping style....
I put those P26A's in my post as an example because they are good "all around" batteries for that size. For instance: I use Samsung 30Q for dual 18650 because not only do I get more runtime from
those vs P26A, but most importantly I don't run them more than 50W pr battery (x2=100w) and I'm mostly in the 25-45W range and I don't have to charge them as often as P26A.
Always use Battery Mooch's ratings - not what a retailer or e-tailer or even what the info on the battery wrap says.
For18650 Mooch says amps are
Samsung 30Q =15-18A (3000Mah)
Molicel P26A = 25A (2600Mah)
Samsung 20S = 30A (2000Mah)
(see Mooch for actual Mah ratings)

There are others, like LG/SonyMurata that are good as well but those ^ are the top contenders imo;
30Q and VCT6 are close

See the pattern? So to pick the best and most efficient battery we need to know how many amps are needed and for that .> what wattage range, even for a regulated mod that has built in safety features.
Or for a mech, the power draw. If you wanted to build as low(Ī©) as safely possible on a single 18650 the choice would be 20S.

You could start with the atomizer and a target resistance, then the mod, then what batteries for it.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My thought is if they don't actually make the battery they could start wrapping something different with the same wrapper. And why wouldn't I just buy the brand name of the actual manufacturer. And save money while I'm at it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you're at that point, ...

Mod: Geekvape Athena squonk box
RDA: Wasp Nano / Advken Gorge

Mod:

The mod uses a single cell 18650. You'll likely not see anything over about 28 Watts. You'll learn about voltage drop as a battery is discharged from use.

Athena mods are built relatively durable. They are mechanical. They are easy to clean up & maintain. They have a slide to block/lock fire button so you can "lock it in a pocket".

RDA:

Neither of the RDA choices I list are considered really "grand/great" ones. They do well enough with each being single coil builds. Both can produce some modest clouding. If you build well enough you may get better clouding from them. The real limit will be the single cell battery of the Athena mod.

Comments:

Like @Vape Fan (my evil twin), suggest a charger, some decent batteries from reputable vendor such (what @LAVapesQC uses) as IMR. Also suggest switching over to "freebase" nicotine juice.

As to lowering your nicotine consumption, I've used 18 mg/ml four four, hm five years or so. You could drop to 12mg/ml, 9, 6, 3 whatever you desired using "freebase" juice. You ought to be able to do likewise using salts.

Like @Bigrick I'm not much for tricks beyond doing a few rings just for my own giggles a few squeals from my wife. Unlike him, I don't "entertain" any local B&M shops.

You may not want to go the route of squonking. Only suggesting it as an option for you to consider. I've two Athenas in rotation currently and one still unopened. If I were to buy more mod/s I would likely get more Athena. Recently had to retire my favored Coppervape squonkers.

If you don't want mechanical mods, listen to @LAVapesQC and stick with the mass produced variable wattage group of mods. You might or might not want temperature control. In my view it's kind of um, well dumb feature. Others rave over it though. So, I don't know all the answers. :) I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
I also do not have all the answers. Yet it seems bizarre to me that the OP would jump from using a Nord X and just learning about the Smok RPM coils (another post) to a Mech, etc without having the chance to have some fun with some regulated mods. But some people do like to powerlevel.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Best reason to go with mechs right now is the vape ban. Mechs won't go all squirrelly on you nearly as often. And if they do, you might be able to fix 'em pretty easily.

I have all kinds of mods, but most of what's in my vapocalypse box is mech squonkers.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yet it seems bizarre to me that the OP would jump from using a Nord X and just learning about the Smok RPM coils (another post) to a Mech, etc without having the chance to have some fun with some regulated mods.

I was not intending they go bounding right into mechs. No, was suggesting something to consider. My reasoning reflects @nadalama 's. Mechanical mods are designed to be easy to keep up, fix if needed.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My favourite Mod right now is the Geekvape Max with a Molicel 21700.
Great fast hitting mod that can take good sub ohm tanks and coils from around .2 upwards as long as they dont go crazy high over 80 watt.
Awesome with the Geek Zues Sub Ohm tank. Great flavour and clouds. Coils last too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My favourite Mod right now is the Geekvape Max with a Molicel 21700.
Great fast hitting mod that can take good sub ohm tanks and coils from around .2 upwards as long as they dont go crazy high over 80 watt.
Awesome with the Geek Zues Sub Ohm tank. Great flavour and clouds. Coils last too.

Oh wow, a mil grade regulated mod! :) I'm very tempted. Then, I'd need an accursed tank thing. *grumbles* Well maybe not that tempted. Good deal though despite my not wanting to use tanks.

"Well dog, whatya got again tanks?"

"Um, they just don't seem to do well for me overall. They're also more geared toward MTL. I like DL, and even Wasp Nano RDAs can give me that despite seeming to be MTL."

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oh wow, a mil grade regulated mod! :) I'm very tempted. Then, I'd need an accursed tank thing. *grumbles* Well maybe not that tempted. Good deal though despite my not wanting to use tanks.

"Um, they just don't seem to do well for me overall. They're also more geared toward MTL. I like DL, and even Wasp Nano RDAs can give me that despite seeming to be MTL."
I'll admit. My love of DTL was from yrs of being a challenge to Cheech n Chong.
I have not used for over 12 yrs. But when I tried vaping MTL left me saying "huh!? No thanks"
When I tried DTL , you know what style it was "yeah bro hook me up with a kit!"
I admit I was a do.. fiend! But now dont want smokes and dont want do..
Vaping DTL with my kits is bliss. šŸ˜

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I posted a "sad" emoji on your post because some RTAs are SO, SO good, I feel like you're really missing out.

I brought my old OBS Engine Nano out of mothballs the other day (figuratively), and I've been having a big time with it. But the real standout for me is the Zeus X Mesh. Just an absolutely lovely vape.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I posted a "sad" emoji on your post because some RTAs are SO, SO good, I feel like you're really missing out.

Hm, maybe so. I keep hearing of a few now, and then. Know it may sadden you I miss out. I'm okay though. I don't need "all the vape gears". *grins* I mean yes I want to have a kit/s that can last me a while to come.

My biggest concern though is juice. Never did "step down" to lower than 18mg/ml nicotine. Might have to now. That'll be a pain too because I'll need vape four times as much as I do now. So yep, 16 to 20 ml of juice a day for me, compared to 4.

Will figure it out. Got at least two, maybe three yrs worth. Did not think ahead nor have funding enough ahead to stock juice. Working now but even still a bit hard to let money go. And you know I'm no money vampire. Pft, is only money.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I admit I was a do.. fiend! But now dont want smokes and dont want do..
Vaping DTL with my kits is bliss.

Yep hear that. Been there a bit myself, stoked out for nine months to a year. Grew out of that but still appreciate the huff cap style for DL hits. Something, something steam rolling, or water bong used to be what I enjoyed. Pipe was okay, didn't care much for the cigarette style.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep hear that. Been there a bit myself, stoked out for nine months to a year. Grew out of that but still appreciate the huff cap style for DL hits. Something, something steam rolling, or water bong used to be what I enjoyed. Pipe was okay, didn't care much for the cigarette style.
Yeah I liked the water pipes. Did try a few yrs ago out of curiosity an electronic device which just heats it in a little ceramic bowl. It just vapourised the resin and ultra dehydrated the rest, zero smoke. I haven't had any since. I just enjoy being straight these days.
Though my misses often says to me "what on earth are you on?" :giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I liked the water pipes. Did try a few yrs ago out of curiosity an electronic device which just heats it in a little ceramic bowl. It just vapourised the resin and ultra dehydrated the rest, zero smoke. I haven't had any since. I just enjoy being straight these days.
Though my misses often says to me "what on earth are you on?" :giggle:

It recently passed for legal medicinally here in WV. Could maybe get it for mental health reasons, anxiety, depression. It also would serve as analgesic I'm sure. Not been bothered to go check into doing that.

Know a good portion of my physical ailing, and then too mental, can be better helped doing as I do. Get off my bum & get busy 4 to 8 hours a day. Custodial work keeps me on my feet most of that time, on the toes in fits.

Also realize & have changed up my diet for the better. I now snack on what the wife calls bird seed. Like a trail mix of dried fruits; dates, cranberries, apricot and pumpkin seeds. May add some unsweetened coconut flakes, walnut.

That mix is some potent antioxidants, cleansing foods. It can also fill you up with low calories, low sodium, low natural sugar/s & healthy fats.Plus you get fiber. All in a winning mix. :) Seems I'm becoming a nutritionist & dietician as I grow older. *chuckles*

Still eat my freezer foods to help keep my calorie intake leveled out. Not relying on them though nor gorging them as I used to do. Also trying to eat better carry away/take out foods. Really don't drink much soda, still like my Southern style sweet tea (diabetes in a cup). Can just happily drink water though.

When I go to work for custodial, I count that as exercise. I "move" while working. Others comment that I get finished up quicker than most. I don't let my work quality suffer to gain speed, just my "git 'er dun" gearing. So in that "moving" my body gets its exercise. I could probably do more but well, ... a person can only "go" so much.

Plus I figure as I finish up early, then help others, I'm doing fine anyway. Agree with you, rather keep a clear head. Sure I might get a drink or two on the weekends but that's not to get drunk. Once I feel "toasty" and a little silly, my limit is set. Can appreciate the nice feel of that for about an hour or so. Then, I'm usually eating and coming back to clarity.

Of course, at times my mind may as well be baked anyway. *chuckles* I can pull some dummy moments. And for being silly, well that's what the big purple S means on my spandex tights suit with a cape. I'm "Silly Man!" *grins* Whew, tell you life she's a fun one she is.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It recently passed for legal medicinally here in WV. Could maybe get it for mental health reasons, anxiety, depression. It also would serve as analgesic I'm sure. Not been bothered to go check into doing that.

Know a good portion of my physical ailing, and then too mental, can be better helped doing as I do. Get off my bum & get busy 4 to 8 hours a day. Custodial work keeps me on my feet most of that time, on the toes in fits.

Also realize & have changed up my diet for the better. I now snack on what the wife calls bird seed. Like a trail mix of dried fruits; dates, cranberries, apricot and pumpkin seeds. May add some unsweetened coconut flakes, walnut.

That mix is some potent antioxidants, cleansing foods. It can also fill you up with low calories, low sodium, low natural sugar/s & healthy fats.Plus you get fiber. All in a winning mix. :) Seems I'm becoming a nutritionist & dietician as I grow older. *chuckles*

Still eat my freezer foods to help keep my calorie intake leveled out. Not relying on them though nor gorging them as I used to do. Also trying to eat better carry away/take out foods. Really don't drink much soda, still like my Southern style sweet tea (diabetes in a cup). Can just happily drink water though.

When I go to work for custodial, I count that as exercise. I "move" while working. Others comment that I get finished up quicker than most. I don't let my work quality suffer to gain speed, just my "git 'er dun" gearing. So in that "moving" my body gets its exercise. I could probably do more but well, ... a person can only "go" so much.

Plus I figure as I finish up early, then help others, I'm doing fine anyway. Agree with you, rather keep a clear head. Sure I might get a drink or two on the weekends but that's not to get drunk. Once I feel "toasty" and a little silly, my limit is set. Can appreciate the nice feel of that for about an hour or so. Then, I'm usually eating and coming back to clarity.

Of course, at times my mind may as well be baked anyway. *chuckles* I can pull some dummy moments. And for being silly, well that's what the big purple S means on my spandex tights suit with a cape. I'm "Silly Man!" *grins* Whew, tell you life she's a fun one she is.
That makes 2 of us with a big diet change. Did like my junk food here and there but its gone now. Thought I'd miss it badly but to be honest im not really. Now n then I'd like to stuff my face with iced donuts or have a thick shake but the temptation is dwindling now.
Im feeling much better for it.
Im trying hard right now to erase the image of Harry from Harry and the Hendersons wearing a spandex tights suit with a cape. And given that its night here now I'm really hoping I dont dream about it! šŸ˜–

VU Sponsors