Become a Patron!

My Review of the Espion Silk by Joyetech

Spratt

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Disclaimer: This product was sent to me by Joyetech for the purpose of this review. The review is based on the device I got, but not all the devices may be the same due to the margin of error or poor quality control.

Joyetech continues the Espion line with a device called the ‚’Espion Silk’’, which is a small, internal battery mod paired with an atomizer that uses notch coils designed for relatively low Wattage usage. The mod features black rubber-ish material over the plastic casing, creating a better grip in hand and a softer touch. The NotchCore atomizer is a nice addition to the mod, both visually and in terms of vaping experience.

Album of Pictures

Specs and Features:

Height: 120mm

Length: 40mm

Width: 29.5mm

Battery capacity: 2800mAh

Kit weight: 141g

E-liquid capacity: 2.5ml

0.69 inch OLED display

W Output: 1-80W

Output modes: VW / Bypass / TC (Ni,Ti,SS) / TCR

Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm (TC/TCR) / 0.05-3.5ohm (VW)

Top Fill

2A charging

NotchCore Atomizer diameter: 22mm

Kit Contents:

Espion Silk Mod

NotchCore Atomizer

5 Notch Coils (1 pre-installed)

USB Cable

2 Manuals

Warranty Card

Warning Card

Spare parts

Aesthetics:

The Espion Silk kit from Joyetech does have a unique look, due to the rubber-ish material on the plastic of the mod that creates a pretty nice contrast with the color of the plastic. As seen in the photos, I received the black mod with orange material that I, at first, thought looked strange as I don’t like flashy colors on my mods/atomizers. The NotchCore atomizer is of the same color as the plastic of the mod. The rubber material doesn’t cover the mod entirely, thus creating that contrast I was talking about. On the side of the mod, there is a metal with the name of the mod written on it. This rubber resemblances an armor on the mod, especially on the front where the buttons are. As always, the top button is the fire button, lower is the screen, then the +/- buttons and finally the USB port. The screen is pretty bright and can be easily read during sunny days too, and the interface is the same old interface seen on many other Joyetech devices.

NotchCore Performance:

The NotchCore atomizer is a 22mm diameter atomizer with a 2.5ml capacity that uses 0.45ohm notch coils (bummer right?!). To be honest, I was impressed with this little fella. First of all, it’s pretty easy to refill, just push the top cap and refill, no need to get the drip tip off. The Airflow Control Ring rotates smoothly and it features a stopping mechanism. The airflow is smooth but it’s noisy, no matter how open or closed it is. The atomizer provides decent amounts of clouds and pretty good flavor. Of course, it doesn’t compare to some RDAs or RTAs intended for more flavor, but it’s really good for a device that’s so easy to use. It can be a little tricky to rewick, as you need to be careful with the amount of wick material you use, but with time it gets easier. Also, I like how you can change the coil, just pop it out with a pair of tweezers and put another one.

Espion Silk Performance:

Now with the mod. It feels good in the hand, the design is definitely unique and it’s pretty lightweight. The 510 pin is spring-loaded and the threads are smooth. The NotchCore atomizer and some other atomizers I put on (Berserker MTL RDA, Coral 2, Siren V2 25mm/22mm and other) stayed flush on it. The buttons are clicky and do not rattle. The screen is bright and it can be easily read even during sunny days. The Espion Silk mod performed pretty accurately in VW, at 20-25W(recommended for NotchCore), lower 10-15W with my MTL atomizers and higher (60-80W) with my DL atomizers. Unfortunately, TC wasn’t such a nice experience. I started with a simple 7 wrap SS coil in my Siren and after 4 puffs I got kicked out back to VW. The Bypass mode worked as it should with my RDA.

Pros:

Lightweight

Design (subjective)

Ergonomic

VW Performance

Flavor

Buttons don’t rattle

Rewickable coils

Easy to swap coils

Easy to use menu

Easy to refill

Cons:

TC Performance

Noisy Airflow

Conclusion:

The Espion Silk kit from Joyetech is a nice addition to the Espion family. The device can be used by beginners and by advanced users because it’s easy to use, lightweight and ergonomic, with a unique design. The mod performs well in VW mode and the NotchCore atomizer is indeed a nice little atty that I will continue to use due to it being easy to maintain and its performance.

VU Sponsors