Become a Patron!

My review of the Hastur MTL RTA

Spratt

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys! I'm really new to this forum, and I like it. I'm a foreign student in the Netherlands and I like writing and vaping, so here's my review of the Hastur MTL RTA by Cthulhu Mod. You can also find this review on Reddit, but under another nickname (that one's old and dumb).

Disclaimer: This device was sent to my by Cthulhu Mod for the purpose of this review. I DID NOT receive any incentives from this company.

Cthulhu Mod joined the trend and made another MTL device, designed for both restrictive DL hits and real tight MTL draw. I think they did a pretty good job!

Specs and Features:

• Diameter: 24mm

• Capacity: 3.5ml

• Food grade 304 Stainless Steel
Kit Content:

• 1 Hastur MTL RTA

• 5 swappable airflow resistors

• 1 tool for installing the coils

• Extra screws and o-rings

• Extra drip tip (wider inner diammeter)

• 1 Frosty Glass Tube (clear glass tube already installed)

• Manual/Warranty card
Aesthetics:

Unboxing the Hastur MTL RTA is a pleasure. I like the design of the box, and how it's made, I like the idea of it opening like it's a wedding ring inside. The package is clean, simple, but it gives the feeling that inside there is something nice, something new. So, the Hastur MTL RTA, I got the Black version, looks simple, yet terrifying because of the engraved Cthulhu on the chimney. It almost looks...minimalistic! It's a GTA atomizer, and it can be compared to the Digiflavor Siren V1, but a shorter version. The tank is full black, except the drip tip(s) which are brown. I really like the look of this tank, it looks simple, but it looks very good in my opinion.

Build Quality:

The overall build quality is good, better than average, of course, depends on what you consider average and what I consider average, still it's good. The threads are good, and I like the new refill idea. You don't have any threads on the top cap, you just slide it around until it opens, you pop it up, refill, then put back in slots, push a little and slide it right or left, that's all! The AFC is virtually universal. It can provide restricted DL hits, if you don't use an airflow restrictor, or a very tight MTL draw, with the airflow restrictor you choose to use.

Build Deck:

The build deck is also a pretty amazing feature. There are 2 posts, with 2 screws each, but you use just 1 screw on each base, this way you can use your clock-wise built coils, or counter-clock-wise built coils. It's pretty amazing! I love the idea, and I love this base. I used 3 different coils, and they all performed as they should have with no problems. The wicking is as it is with any GTA device, you wick the coil, measure the length of the wick you need and cut it, then just put it in the wick slots and voila! The chamber is pretty small, but the build deck allows you to build pretty big coils for an MTL RTA.

Airflow Control:

As said above, the airflow this RTA provides is almost universal, providing restricted DL draws when no airflow restrictor is used, and tight, or lighter MTL draws when one airflow restrictor is used. The AFC ring is smooth, with a stop when fully closed and one when fully open. The provided airflow restrictors are different in inner diameter: 1.0mm; 1.6mm; 2.0mm; 2.5mm; 3.5mm. Also, there are additional restrictors, which can be bought optionally that are: 1.2mm; 1.4mm; 1 with 2 openings of 1mm each; and 1 with 3 openings of 0.8mm each. This RTA offered me a Serpent Mini DL draw and a Berserker MTL RTA tight draw. It's very versatile, and it can fuel the needs of almost any vaper out there.

Performance:

The performance of this RTA is very good. The flavor is outstanding, mainly because the build deck is pretty close to the drip tip. At first, I used a fused clapton 2.5mm ID, 4 wraps, with the 1.0mm airflow restrictor that was already installed in the RTA. It was a nice, pleasant vape, but it was too tight for me, so I switched to 1 of the optional resistors and specifically the one with 2 openings of 1mm each. (NOTE: The resistors are press fit, you don't need to screw them or anything else, just push it in the slot and that's all.) When switching the airflow resistor, I thought about using another coil, so I just wrapped a 3mm ID 7 wrap coil, using 26Gauge Kanthal. Now that experience was amazing. I used different types of e-juice that I know very well, and this RTA provided the flavor I was expecting. After using it in MTL mode, I tried it in restricted DL, no airflow resistor, AFC full open and a 2.5mm ID Clapton. It was nice, but I realized I like this RTA more in MTL mode, the flavor, the throat hit, it's just better. A subjective con is that you can't access your base while the tank is full or almost full, the o-ring keeping the glass on the top cap is not doing a very good job when the base is unscrewed, you just have to be very careful, or just vape your e-liquid.

Overall performance is good, it works good in both restricted DL mode and MTL mode, but I prefer the last one. The airflow is smooth, no whistling, and it's versatile.

Pros:

• Versatile airflow

• Nice amount of spare parts

• Flavour

• Good price

• Easy to build (the deck is amazing, I really love it)

• Refill system
Cons:

• Tricky to wick (like any other GTA RTA - too much cotton dry hits, too little and you flood the base)

• Can't access the base when you have e-liquid in it

• Drip tip is too short for me
Verdict:

I like this RTA. It has some new features (at least for me) that I like, and it offers a good vaping experience. I would recommend the Hastur MTL RTA to those people who want a versatile RTA that can do both DL and MTL, and won't let you down in either mode.

P.S. I am not a ''pro''. I like writing and I like vaping, so I try to help this community at least this way. If you have any tips, or other ideas for me please feel free to comment here. Thank you and keep vaping!

VU Sponsors