Become a Patron!

My third attempt at an Alien coil!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm am so happy right now! Before trying aliens I might have made 10 sticks of fused claptons. My first try at an alien was my first time with 3 cores. It wasn't very good because they collapsed and it was then a Mohawk in parts.

I payed attention to a N.devine83 video on YouTube and learned a lot. Here's my third try (you might have to zoom in to see the wraps-
20200709_131011(1)(1).jpg

I will be taking wraps off because it's way too big. I just wrapped all I had. I now have an idea on how much of everything to use.

For anyone thinking about starting to make your own coils, I say do it! It's fun and you really don't need much besides a drill and swivels. I had fun today and look forward to making more coils and different coils. Oh and the ones I've made vape awesome!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh I forgot, I just used flat square Legos to hold the cores together. I tried paper clips on the first one but they were too small and didn't work..

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh I forgot, I just used flat square Legos to hold the cores together. I tried paper clips on the first one but they were too small and didn't work..
Legos, check. Great job

Sent from a pile of wood chips

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks good...Much better than I was my 3rd attempt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I made just a few then never attempted them again. No idea why.
But I do need to buy some of yall wanna sell any. Lol. Was just a pain for me to make. I can do staples and staggered coils but aliens and staple staggered are my nemesis.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The coils look great. :)
You'll never need to buy alien coils again.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Those are just gorgeous! Well done!!!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Legos. Hot damn i never thought of that
Yea they do good for 3 or more cores from what I've ever read and seen other people use. I had some Patinos alien makers when I did 3 core but really tension is the best method. I can never get it right and was trying with mini clothes pins. Doesn't work well. Will be trying Legos this weekend. Wanna get 3or4 30g cores together.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Legos are a nice idea... will try that when I make some more.

I usually just make short runs...enough to wrap 2 coils and done. 8” length

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Dude gr8 job. Cut the ends and take two wraps off and they look aliens ive gotten from other builders on vu

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the Lego deal. Do they slide down the cores as you go or do you have to manually move them ever so often? Do you use more than one set. Like when I do staples I wrap some ribbon every in front as a slider but also extra pieces further on for stability.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So the Lego deal. Do they slide down the cores as you go or do you have to manually move them ever so often? Do you use more than one set. Like when I do staples I wrap some ribbon every in front as a slider but also extra pieces further on for stability.
The ones I used were the thinnest and flatest little square Legos I could find. I stopped and slid them down when I got close.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is awesome!!! Great job :D

I don't really have a good place to do aliens so I haven't even tried yet.

Nick is scary. Great teacher there.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Used Kidney Puncher N80 today. Same wire gauges 3x26/36 aliens.
20200710_121118(1).jpg

Those two coils are from two different sticks. I think the one on the left looks cooler with the little gaps. The one on the right looks more tightly wound.

I'm still working on my de-core stretch technique. If I don't stretch it enough, I gotta do tension which makes the cores collapse. If I stretch it just right, it goes like butter. I'm wasting half a stick to get one coil pretty much. Any little mistake with aliens and it doesn't look right. I've been happy that I can cruise enough length to get one coil out of 10 inches. I should be able to get at least two and that's what I'm working on..

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 164682

Those two coils are from two different sticks. I think the one on the left looks cooler with the little gaps. The one on the right looks more tightly wound.

I'm still working on my de-core stretch technique. If I don't stretch it enough, I gotta do tension which makes the cores collapse. If I stretch it just right, it goes like butter. I'm wasting half a stick to get one coil pretty much. Any little mistake with aliens and it doesn't look right. I've been happy that I can cruise enough length to get one coil out of 10 inches. I should be able to get at least two and that's what I'm working on..

Main reason they look different is you wrapped one with the v groove on the inside (left) and the V groove on the outside (right)

Presentation wise some say to wrap the V on the outside. Vape wise I don’t know if there is a reason or not too

Edit: Maybe it’s the lighting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 164682

I'm still working on my de-core stretch technique. If I don't stretch it enough, I gotta do tension which makes the cores collapse. If I stretch it just right, it goes like butter. I'm wasting half a stick to get one coil pretty much. Any little mistake with aliens and it doesn't look right.
The one on the right looks perfect.
I've been happy that I can cruise enough length to get one coil out of 10 inches. I should be able to get at least two and that's what I'm working on..
Clamp any kind of weight on the cores to keep them from collapsing only makes it harder. Start-stop every half inch only makes it harder. Keep going slow on the drill only makes it harder. Keep watching it catch instead of focussing on just the angle only makes it harder. Listen to poor advice only makes it harder. Keep being stubborn about what is and what isn't good advice only makes it harder.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The one on the right looks perfect.

Clamp any kind of weight on the cores to keep them from collapsing only makes it harder. Start-stop every half inch only makes it harder. Keep going slow on the drill only makes it harder. Keep watching it catch instead of focussing on just the angle only makes it harder. Listen to poor advice only makes it harder. Keep being stubborn about what is and what isn't good advice only makes it harder.
All bs aside you should make a video of the correct way. Because I'm pretty sure everyone is sharing their experience with aliens.
Please show us the correct way. So then we can all do it the non hard way.

Kinda like common core math. I can't do it but I can get to the same answer with my old school math. Just a different method

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All bs aside you should make a video of the correct way. Because I'm pretty sure everyone is sharing their experience with aliens.
Please show us the correct way. So then we can all do it the non hard way.

Kinda like common core math. I can't do it but I can get to the same answer with my old school math. Just a different method

There already exist plenty of build videos from others to show that, for 3-core aliens that were the topic of this discussion, even though you are obviously correct when you say that, in the end, it still does work, you most certainly do NOT need to waste your time with stuff like legos, a key ring, a mini clothespin, Patino's alien makers, or a slider made by pinching after wrapping a piece of ribbon wire. So, the fact that it is logical fallacy to think that anything like that will help to make it easier to learn, as opposed to only making it harder to learn if you're still new to this, has already been proven over and over and over. But if you must insist on keep wasting your time, regardles, then sure, by all means, keep wasting your time if keep wasting your time is what keeps you happy. It's a free world, and, everyone is free to always stick to sado masochism I guess. Ignorance is bliss!

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The funny thing is, this was all proven like almost half a decade ago... long before I started vaping. :p

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was the goal when I bought my wire from Kidney Puncher earlier this year-
20200713_153459.jpg

Shred travolta hooked my up with some Fraliens last year and I loved them. I always thought it would be very cool to learn how to make my own. I need to buy some more ribbon types and sizes but I did it!

I used 26ga N80 frames, 4 plies of .5 SS ribbon, and wrapped it with 36ga SS.

Fraliens are a lot harder to wrap for coils than regular aliens. They're so stiff... * -Michael Scott "That's what she said..."*

I was making coils without much steady tension on the line. I got a clamp to use on my drill to keep it stationary. It helps keep the wires tight while spinning. It makes things a whole lot easier. I was trying to hold It while pressing the power button and that's less than optimal. Now I know why Sherlock uses all those vices and builds anchor blocks and all that. The less things to concentrate on the better I'm thinking.

I'm still taking wobbly steps but I'm waking. :cool:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This was the goal when I bought my wire from Kidney Puncher earlier this year-
View attachment 164833

Shred travolta hooked my up with some Fraliens last year and I loved them. I always thought it would be very cool to learn how to make my own. I need to buy some more ribbon types and sizes but I did it!

I used 26ga N80 frames, 4 plies of .5 SS ribbon, and wrapped it with 36ga SS.

Fraliens are a lot harder to wrap for coils than regular aliens. They're so stiff... * -Michael Scott "That's what she said..."*

I was making coils without much steady tension on the line. I got a clamp to use on my drill to keep it stationary. It helps keep the wires tight while spinning. It makes things a whole lot easier. I was trying to hold It while pressing the power button and that's less than optimal. Now I know why Sherlock uses all those vices and builds anchor blocks and all that. The less things to concentrate on the better I'm thinking.

I'm still taking wobbly steps but I'm waking. :cool:
great work <3

VU Sponsors