Become a Patron!

N00b's first box mod.

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HI ya'll.

I looking at building a dual 26650 box and need some help. Let me give you the rundown on the current design.

Hammond 1550 4.5"Lx3.5"Wx2.1"D
IRF IRFB7430PBF MOSFET
Stackpole RNMF14FTC15K0 15k 1/4W Resistor
TEC RF2825-000 30A Resettable Fuses (2x)
FD 510 V4 with 30mm plate
ESwith PV6F240SS-341 Momentary PB
CKC V70113SS05Q slide switch
12-ga csw will be used for all connections
14-ga csw for any jumpers

I could use some help understanding the reason for the MOSFET and resistor. I also need a lead on the dual 26650 rack, all I can find are dual 18650.

Any help, sarcasm, or comments are welcome.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
HI ya'll.

I could use some help understanding the reason for the MOSFET and resistor. I also need a lead on the dual 26650 rack, all I can find are dual 18650.

Any help, sarcasm, or comments are welcome.

because that button you have picked out is good for 2A max. if you push more that that you will fry it. But with a mosfet your are offsetting the amp load to the mosfet (only a small amount is going through the switch)

check ebay for a dual 26650 rack

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So if I find a high amp MPB, I wont need the MOSFET?

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i have found a 30amp button, but its HUGE.

people like to use mosfets to use a reasonable size button

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Should I use Copper strand or solid wire? Will it make any difference?

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FatDaddy V4 with 30mm plate inbound next week. Sourced MOSFET and resistor locally at a Radio Shack of all places. Guess some of them still cater to us techies... CAnt find a local source for the 1590BBS or the dual 26650 batt sled though... Any suggestions? Snorting Boar I already know about and will probably source the sled from them.

Also will any N-channel MOSFET/15k resistor do for this application or do I need specific models? And for that matter how would I choose them?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mosfet has 2 functions. 1) The mosfet takes the amp load of of the switch so you are able to use a 3 amp switch for a semi-mechanical mod. 2) The mosfet is also going to act as your "protection" for the device. If you are using a 30 amp mosfet then you will have to make sure your no pulling more than 30 amps or you will burn out the mosfet. You can get mosfets in different amp ratings, it just depends on what you are wanting the maximum amps for the mod to be. The resistor help the mosfet discharge any leftover power when it is not being used so and resistor from 10k to 100k should work fine. There are more threads in the modders section the can give a more in depth descriptions, I am paraphrasing from what I understand of how the mosfet works.

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How do I figure how much is coming out of the batteries? Continuous or peak amp rating?

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your coil build is telling u what is coming out of the batteries.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Figure the normal resistance that you want to use on the mod. Freshly charged batteries start out at 4.2v and quickly level out at 3.7 then will start dropping again. So for a .5 ohm build at 4.2 volts you are pulling 8.4 amps at 35.28 watts. The continuous rating is what you should use on batteries to be safe. If you are always pushing the limits of batteries you will shorten to overall life of a battery and can accidentally push them to hard. here is the online ohms law calc I use. http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok gang I finally got all the parts together, I just need to figure out whether I want to build a parallel or series box. Now if I remember correctly voltage doubles in series and mAh doubles in parallel. Does the amp rating Stay the same? I'm using the new eFest 26650 40/60A batteries. I'm wondering about amperage not mAh.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Buzzbox also makes custom battery sleds for dual 26650/18650 boxes. I think they can make them in damn near any color you want as well

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you build in series, you won't be building low enough to worry about amps. A .2 ohm build at 8+ volts would be likely to set your lungs on fire haha
A .5 ohm build at 8.4v pushes 141W and only hits the battery for about 17 amps

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HOLY HANDGRENADE!!!! I got it up and working.
boxmosSW.jpg

Problem is the vape has to be in excess of 120F! Series seems to be too powerfull. I dumped the zippers and built a 24 6/7 dual, it helped but it is still too hot. But it WORKS!!! HIts hard, but acts like it needs more air. The RDA on it is a Mutation V1.

So accolades, complaints, sarcastic zingers, or anyone care for a mint?

VU Sponsors