Become a Patron!

Nautilus RBA deck

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Saw this on the other forum, thought it looked interesting:

Still way to new to tell if it's any good or not, but since I have a nautilus mini collecting dust I figured what the hell, it's worth a look.

-Kingboomer

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking forward to it but wonder if exact Nautilus taste can be replicated or change it?
Anyone seen one yet?
Have a zillion attys, like all others, sub-ohm, pre-ohm but still love one Nautilus + don't want to lose its particular vape/taste I only get that way, using it.
Know when its out?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see the point. The Nautilus sucked with the horizontal coil and only came into it's own with the vertical coil.

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't see the point. The Nautilus sucked with the horizontal coil and only came into it's own with the vertical coil.

Partly one reason not sure i will prefer it. Hate pre-made coils for it but every atty puts out flavour differently. You learn how you best like it but Nautilus is still the only one I can get that particular flavour from. Sure can still love flavour on other atomizers but can't copy the Nautilus one. Even after moving on to big tanks i still always have one Nautilus going. So, you might be right. Curious to hear how it works out tho.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am still shocked by how much flavour it kicks out with the BVC coils. I also don't see the point in rebuilding and the coils last weeks, but I haven't tried and wonder if the flavour will be retained.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been tempted by this, but I think a big part of the Nautilus taste is down to the vertical coil and unusual wicking. Anyone got one yet?

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hear it's awful

Won't allow links here but if you look up a thread on the Fasttech forums called "RBA Deck for Nautilus/Nautilus Mini - DON'T BOTHER" it will tell you all you need to know

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am still shocked by how much flavour it kicks out with the BVC coils. I also don't see the point in rebuilding and the coils last weeks, but I haven't tried and wonder if the flavour will be retained.

The vertical coils can be rebuilt, there are videos on how to do it. I clean and keep my old coils and some wire and wick but have not bothered to rebuild one yet. It looks like a bit of a pain but do-able. Anyway, if it get's hard to get new coils or if I become dirt poor, I have the stuff to do it.

F

fckaugust8th

I have been using this reason since yesterday and while the build deck is miniscule, it's is doable. The flavor is much more intense. If you don't want to fiddle with it, try the coils for the triton mini. The claptons are a joy.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seems like a lot of added work, given coil heads are so cheap and easy to use; even the AV Cisco Nautilus coil heads...

F

fckaugust8th

That is true, as far as the extra work but you're getting the reward in increased flavor.
Cheers,
Brewbear

F

fckaugust8th

Keep in mind that this little rba -literally little- has very large juice channels, about the same size as the goblin mini so higher VG juices are not a problem.
Cheers,
Brewbear

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always suffer from the Nautilus coils last about 8-10ml of juice problem. I tried everything suggested to me - refilling before it was low / always run at 4.6v or more / suck and blow / various dry and wet burns....nope nothing fixed it. My buddy gets weeks of use from his - I even tried running the same juice as him he he. Long story shortened I gave up on them. Plus I now know his iStick 30W does him 2 days on one charge with a subtank..so I guess he don't really hit it much :D

I know I am not alone as Aspire forums are full of people moaning about the new coil version either flooding, gurgling, no flavour, only lasting for 1 tank ha ha I see one guy said he was going through several coils a day, a lot of people asking them to supply the old ceramic weave ones again. So because I like my Nautilus Mini when I saw the rebuildable heads I thought ...why not? Worst can happen is they are poop and I wasted less than the price of a 5 pack of coils that I know will be poop anyway :D

Vape mail arrived - I put the tank together wrongly like the guy in the video so there was a huge ass gap under the tank like in the video. But it still sealed and worked. I left a bit longer tails than he did though, a couple of mm over the top of the chamber before cutting and stuffing down. Vaped great, no leaks, no gurgles. Used a coil and the cotton that came in the baggy - all good. Well all good apart from its made for hobbits, midget hobbits...but an RBA head that can fit in a Nautilus is gonna be tiny right.

What you get in the bag....
loNFhXv.jpg

After I had filled it and put it back together it dawned on me what the seal in the bag was for....doh! So after first tank of juice I took it apart and added the extra seal, now it fits down to the bottom and there is a small gap under the top metal part but it hardly notices unless you look from exactly level with it...so no big deal.

Mqq2VmK.jpg
Z08v2gy.jpg

So far I have already gone way past the 8-10ml of juice on the one coil but it is now kindof irrelevant anyway. As long as I have a tiny bit of cotton around if it gets a bit off tasting I can rewick on the fly - boom! As far as the coil goes, well microcoils last a while don't they - most people can go a month on one if they can't be bothered to re-coil an atty.

Good idea to form a coil before you try to install ...
WxHpTDt.jpg

Pros - Build it how you want it..you only have yourself to blame when you fog out
- Cost of a new coil and wick = pennies
- Kudos for tiniest RBA deck ownership
- Dryburn + rewick in seconds
- Subohm your nauty
- 1 more toy to play with
- It is cheaper than 1 pack of stock coils

Cons - Obviously it is a tiny deck
- It can now be a fog machine, I dont like to fog it up inside of the house. Clowdz belong outside

izHAFWn.jpg

What it looks like when put together and seal is in the right place :D

Will you get a 6 wrap Alien wire coil in there? Hell no! It is pretty challenging to get over 1.3 ohm build in there as your coil will be nearly touching the sides and not have much room for the wick by then. I got a 1.6 with 29AWG but it took some faffing around. Over 28 AWG you will have a problem trapping the wire - and your build is gonna be low just to fit in. If you are happy to use 32AWG then you can probably get where the stock coils are at 1.7 and still be OK but 32 AWG is easy to deform so I didnt try it. Faffing with 32 is not my favourite sport.

xOAvICI.jpg

As you can see getting the wires trapped well is not a simple task with even 28 AWG but it can be done if you can be patient enough.

I did try a vertical coil in there but it leaked like a leaky thing after about five minutes, you would need to get the density of the wick exactly right to make it work nice. As it is considerably easier not to get it right and it vapes good with a horizontal coil I didn't experiment further.

EwBWyhj.jpg

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good write up. You might have changed my mind. I haven't had the pleasure of using the new nautilus coils since the wick change as I bought a bunch of clone coils. The clones are hit and miss. Some work well and last weeks, some leak like crazy. The low cost helps but I'm not sure it makes up for the PITA when I get a bad one.

F

fckaugust8th

Good write-up @Iliketurtles . I have 2 of the little RBA's bought from an outfit in England. Where did you buy yours from?
Cheers,
Brewbear

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to GearBest in China buddy, ordered just before CNY, I got 2 as I figured I would likely destroy one but they seem ok, definitely for me the stock coils aren't a real option. I can rebuild them but if you lose the little metal grill on top they go leaky and they are just as fiddly to rebuild as these decks are so I will stick with the teensy RBA deck.

F

fckaugust8th

I went to GearBest
I was thinking about ordering from them after the CNY. The 2 I bought from England were about $12 with shipping and on one of them the stem was a little bent. Sending it back would make the thing too expensive at the end of the day so I'll keep it for parts.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GearBest seems legit ...as in you do get what you order... I am sure lots of people have ordered stuff from China and never seen it but I have never had a problem with either FastTech or GearBest. It might be that what you order turns out to be crap but you do at least get it and some stuff like the 'V for Vendetta V2' RDA which is really good for single coil setups I had only seen in China stores. I think that one has had some good reviews and is getting around now but it's still cheaper from china.

F

fckaugust8th

I ordered from both of those companies before and you are right. On the other hand, the Kabuki clone from FT is really good. There are a few offerings but if you want to get one, buy the $15 one with the round cardboard box. It takes the nautilus and the Triton mini coils. I haven't tried the nautilus RBA in it yet.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have a Nautilus, but I have others with RBA's (TFV4 and a couple Kanger subs). I feel they don't work quite as well as the prebuilt ones, and can be a little finicky at times, but I like having options. I also enjoy tinkering around. I have a Crown coming hopefully any minute in the mail. I've heard the RBA deck can be a bit of a pain, but if I can pick one up for the right price, I'll grab one just for giggles...

I've had no issues ordering through either company, just don't expect to get your order in less than 3-4 weeks.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so I got the RBA deck yesterday, built it today. I under estimated how hard it would be to trap the wire. It's doable, but requires patients. So, it vapes good. No problem there. It has better airflow than prebuilt coils.

Once built, it fits and vapes better in my full nauty but it can't be built on the full naughty base because of the recess that the coils fit in on that base.. It takes more work to use it in the full.

I'll give it more time in my mini but I'm betting I'll fight clone prebuilt coils over fighting getting wire trapped on this deck. That's not to say that the deck doesn't have it's place. It seems to be as good as expected and I'm glad I bought it. But, it's a tiny deck with tiny screws, has fit problems with the mini that are imperfect but usable, and though it fits and vapes better in my preferred full nauty it is much harder to use it there.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
the bvc coils are fairly easy to rebuild, I did it all the time back when I was using the mini. youtube has videos

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trapping the wire is a pain, but it's worth it - vapes better than the stock coils for me. I will never buy a nautilus coil again....well unless they do bring the original ones back.

VU Sponsors