Become a Patron!

Need authentication of Tatroe Big Nasty Mod

Hello all,

I recently purchased on eBay what I was lead to think was an authentic 26650 big nasty mod. Upon its arrival, I noticed several things about it that did not seem kosher with the real deal. I have searched the internet profusely and even contacted the support department at Tatroe Mods to try to authenticate this mod, to no avail. I will type a physical description of the mod as closely as possible as well as insert some pictures to see if you guys could help me with your vast knowledge. I am covered by buyer protection on eBay, but I want to be certain this is in fact a clone before opening a case on it. The seller claims it is one of the original versions of the Big Nasty, and that is why it differs from the mods that are on the market today. I cannot substantiate that fact. I can only say that from my research, there is NO visual evidence that this is a genuine Tatroe Big Nasty, but it does have several features of a clone. Enough rambling...let's put this up for debate. The Description is as follows:

Physical Dimensions:

Total height: 3.8150 inches or 96.90 mm
Total Diameter: 1.1805 inches or 30.00 mm

Markings and etchings:
The entire mod is finished as stainless steel, however the inside of the tube seems to look almost a copper or bluish copper color. The top cap is beveled and has four air channels running in a cross pattern centered on the 510 connector. The exterior of the tube has three sets of grooves, two sets of four small grooves at the top and the bottom of the tube, and four larger rounded grooves in the middle. The bottom set of grooves contains four air holes for battery venting located in the last groove before the tail cap. The tail cap itself has a firing button that is not recessed, but encompasses the entirety of the diameter of the mod. It also has a small locking ring, that does not seem to be of a stainless steel finish, but a darker colored metal, possibly some sort of copper or bronze.

Mechanical Features:
This mod has an adjustable brass center pin in the top cap surrounded by a small Delran insulator. It also has a small nickel plated brass set screw to adjust contact with the battery on the inside of the tube. The tail cap has a threaded locking ring on the firing button. The firing button is assembled with three components within the tail cap assembly. First, a male threaded firing button constructed of what appears to be stainless steel, then a spring, and finally a female threaded copper center pin. The tail cap base has a small Delran ring around the center pin that does not appear to be removable.

Pictures:

Entire Mod.jpeg Tail Cap Disassembled.jpeg Top Down.jpeg Tail Cap Top Down.jpeg Top Cap Bottom.jpeg Top Cap Disassembled.jpeg Tube Inside Discoloration.jpeg

From these unusual features, my deduction is that this is NOT a genuine Tatroe Big Nasty of ANY version, but a clone. I may be wrong, as I am no expert on the Big Nasty, however, I hope all of you can pool your knowledge and possibly authenticate this mod as genuine or clone. Thank you all for your help with this situation.

Attachments

• Locking Ring Side.jpeg
    Locking Ring Side.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 6
  • Spring.jpeg
    Spring.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Tail Cap Side.jpeg
    Tail Cap Side.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 6

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
from what I can see, the push button on an original is not the same as what it looks like you have. The original looks to have its push centered in the bottom plate, it kinda looks like your push button is the entire bottom plate.
http://gotsmok.com/the-big-nasty-26650-mod-139-99/
with this link, look at the fire button
http://www.cigabuy.com/big-nasty-26650-clone-stainless-steel-mechanical-mod-p-3959.html
with the above link you can see the fire button is the whole bottom.
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1693400-big-nasty-style-mechanical-mod
same with this one.

The Big nasty v2 has the logo and serial number on the recessed push button and rare earth magnets instead of a coil spring. I do not know much about the v1 of the big nasty but on the rip trippers review of the mod it did not have any kind of identification on the mod he was reviewing.

Thank you all for your help with this issue. The seller of the item has finally admitted that this is indeed a clone, and the phony has been returned to him for a refund. I have left negative feedback on the purchase of this item warning perspective buyers of his deceit.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im glad you got that straightened out. Its a miracle that they admitted the lie.

r2beat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can you tell us the sellers id so we can avoid them?

gabe veliz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have an authentic Big Nasty... Honestly only used it about 5 times... Up for grabs if your looking for one...

VU Sponsors