Become a Patron!

Need help regarding leakage on rda

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just started vaping around a couple months ago. I started with the arctic tank and a ipv 2 mini [cant wait for the d2 to ship already]. Now I own a mutation x v4 and a mini mad hatter. On both rda I build with a 26g kanthal either parallel or twisted. Mostly twisted, and most of my build are at .5 ohms. I often smoke at 40-55 watts. I always have alot of leaking on the rda that leaks to the ipv and and inside the 510 connector. Well the "a lot" of leaking usually comes after I been smoking it like lets 20 puffs? Is that leaking because of my wicking or is my watts to high? I rarely drip on my mutation I usually just "paint" the juice. And on my mad hatter mini do drip it but I just drop like 2-3 drops per coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zovers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The leakage could be caused by a few different things but is fairly common with RDAs. The first, and most common cause in my experience, is over dripping. If your cotton (or whatever you use to wick) is already completely saturated it will be unable to hold additional liquid and this excess liquid will often leak out of the airflow holes. The second possible cause is if you exhale through your RDA prior to inhaling. This is done by many people in order to keep the vapor cool and "fresh" while giving your coils a chance to heat up. Despite the effectiveness of this technique if there is any excess liquid in the RDA it can and will be blown out of the air holes in an amount proportional to the amount of excess liquid, strength of the exhale, and amount of air flow. The last possible cause that I will mention is your wicking technique. For example, if you use organic Japanese sheet cotton the outer layers on the sheet are made of compressed cotton which does not accept or hold juice as well as the inner, fluffier layers. That's not to say that you should not use the outer layers, rather I have found it effective to cut with and not against the grain of the cotton and then ensure that the compressed layers are on the sides of the coils and not the top and bottom. This will allow you to drip directly onto the cotton from above without worrying about the juice flowing along the grain of the cotton, absorbed, and settling at the bottom of the RDA leading to a small pool of excess Juice. Once you have identified the particular problem it should be fairly easy to correct. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or problems; good luck!

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ty so much Zovers, I did not know about the compressed cotton on the outer layer. And good to know that the leakage is pretty common. I guess we just have to accept that and do our best to minimize that

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Both rda's you mentioned have bottom airflow. A certain amount of leaking is gonna happen with that kind of air intake and that's exactly why I prefer side air intake.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Both rda's you mentioned have bottom airflow. A certain amount of leaking is gonna happen with that kind of air intake and that's exactly why I prefer side air intake.
Even better, top air holes like the Aeolus, Manta V2, and Cthulhu's Hastur RDA.

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that is true it does leak from the bottom air intake. I did shape the wick better now to minimize the leak.
I did see those rdas with the air intake on the top. I was actually thinking about the Aeolus. But a lot of people say for flavor wise bottom air intakes are the best. But then there are some that say that top air intake that jets to your coils has better flavor. =[ But I think I'm just going to get one of those rdas just for the top air holes for
I can use them on the go and not worry about leakage when the mod leans to the side.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah that is true it does leak from the bottom air intake. I did shape the wick better now to minimize the leak.
I did see those rdas with the air intake on the top. I was actually thinking about the Aeolus. But a lot of people say for flavor wise bottom air intakes are the best. But then there are some that say that top air intake that jets to your coils has better flavor. =[ But I think I'm just going to get one of those rdas just for the top air holes for
I can use them on the go and not worry about leakage when the mod leans to the side.

I currently have 48 RDAs including the once I mentioned. The Aeolus and Manta V2 are definitely good flavor RDAs. The airflow on the Aeolus is better than the one of the Manta V2. I haven't put a build in the Hastur yet. However, the airflow seems to be even better.

Zovers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol just be careful with the RDAs that have top airflow similar to the Vector, if you don't know why you'll find out real quick xD

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
=[ lol thanks. I hope it's nothing painful lol

Zovers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is painful lol

vector3__18252.1431542351.1280.1280.png

Just imagine exhaling before inhaling :p

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
True, hahahaha!!!! Darnit I guess I gots exhale on the side of my mouth. Or not exhale at all lol.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That can't happen with the Aeolus and Manta, due to the airflow holes pointing outward. However, the Hastur has them on the top like the Vector. I still like to get me a Vector as well, to add to my collection.

dionysuskiss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That can't happen with the Aeolus and Manta, due to the airflow holes pointing outward. However, the Hastur has them on the top like the Vector. I still like to get me a Vector as well, to add to my collection.
The airflow on the inside of the Hastur is slanted, so no worries there. The Vector looks painful

VU Sponsors