Become a Patron!

Need some advice

DougieFresh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just started using RDA'S and I was wondering what kind of wire and what gauge wire to use to get the most vapor production...... Right now I'm using 24 gauge, 6 wraps, 3mm diameter on getting a reading .2ohms on a SnowWolf 200w

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've tried a lot of different builds. I'm usually running either a Troll, or Velocity RDA. My favorite is a pair of Kanthal A1, 26 ga, parallel, 6 wrap, 2.5 ID coils. It will ohm about .16. I personally think they vape as well as claptons. The ramp up time on most claptons annoys me, if you haven't tried parrallel's, definitely give them a shot. If your not familiar with parallel's, it is simply 2 wires running side by side.

DougieFresh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks...... Will the ohms read out be slot different using 24gauge wire

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moving this over to the cloud chasing sub...

I've always been a fan of higher-ohm builds with more wraps and surface area with nice big 3+ mm inner diameter - my thinking goes that more wicking delivering more liquid to more hot wire should equal more vapor, and with a regulated mod you can just crank the watts up to heat that wire, high resistance be damned. But I'm a pretty pathetic cloud chaser, it takes me a good half-dozen vapes to fog up the living room (and a little help from the wife on her Crown tank), and I rarely go above 70 watts...hopefully someone else will chime in.

The dual parallel @Bucky205 suggests doesn't sound like a bad idea either, but you'd have to squeeze in some extra wraps to do it with 24g to keep your resistance high enough to fire, and that might make for coils too big to stuff under your cap without creating a contact short.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moving this over to the cloud chasing sub...

I've always been a fan of higher-ohm builds with more wraps and surface area with nice big 3+ mm inner diameter - my thinking goes that more wicking delivering more liquid to more hot wire should equal more vapor, and with a regulated mod you can just crank the watts up to heat that wire, high resistance be damned. But I'm a pretty pathetic cloud chaser, it takes me a good half-dozen vapes to fog up the living room (and a little help from the wife on her Crown tank), and I rarely go above 70 watts...hopefully someone else will chime in.

The dual parallel @Bucky205 suggests doesn't sound like a bad idea either, but you'd have to squeeze in some extra wraps to do it with 24g to keep your resistance high enough to fire, and that might make for coils too big to stuff under your cap without creating a contact short.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hell, I'd just add a wrap or two to the build you've already described using, maybe crank the wattage up by 5-10 if it's ramping up too slow and see how it works. Before I got into fancy builds (that I didn't actually build but bought my first few from @BUDKISS) I was doing basic 3 mm duals using 22g.

VU Sponsors