Become a Patron!

New 18650 Batteries to test an unresponsive Smok X-Priv

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Really?? that's so great to know. I just found a store nearish by that I'm going to walk to in the morning- they have charged 18650 batteries and said they'd test my smok. From the pictures of their store I see a big variety of mods and kits although some of the names are hard to read. If you were me, assuming my smok doesn't work w/ new batteries, would you stick with the RX Gen3 Dual or is it worth checking to see if this place has something comparable. And get a new kit or just the mod? I can't remember anything about how it works, the cotton and whatever needs to be changed and when. If it's cheaper to use my tank and buy those other things I'd need or better to get a new kit. Too many questions- sorry!!!
some of the brands I see in their pics that I've been looking up are voopoo, Aspire, Pax, Orion, Vaporesso, there seem to be a lot but I can't read all of the names.
If I were you, I would grab that Gen 3 Dual mod (not kit) before the discount code expires. Like I previously said, you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a better deal for a dual 18650 regulated mod, and, even if it turns out that your Smok mod still works, soon or later it will break still nevertheless. It's one part of the reason why I only use mech mods, but there is a learning curve involved with using a mech and the specific part of battery safety knowledge that applies to the particular subject of starting to use a mech. Whether you will decide to switch from using a regulated mod to using a mech mod or to not switch, you'll still be needing a working regulated mod, if only for the time being.

As long as you can be satisfied with the tank that you currently have, and you don't accidentally break this tank, you don't need another tank, nor kit. I presume you already have a spare glass for your tank, just in case you might one day crack the glass on it, in which case you won't be able to vape again until getting it fixed. Smok tanks are fairly popular, so finding a replacement glass shouldn't be too hard, for just a couple of extra bucks─and for peace of mind.

That being said, there are things that you can do to try to increase the longevity of a new mod. Like, don't let your e-juice creep inside it (via the 510 connector, the push-buttons, the ventilation holes, or the battery door). Don't use brute force on anything, and, don't drop it on a hard floor (or any other floor, if you can help it...). There's still always a risk that a mod (especially a regulated mod) will break prematurely. Having a spare mod is a major convenience, and will most definitely help to prevent relapsing back to smoking normal cigarettes, especially if you also have a spare atomizer to go with that─plus a working coil to put in there. Sure, I can think of better atomizers than the one you have. But that's always a subjective thing. The most important thing that one can worry about is that the stuff works, and that you have immediate access to a replacement in the possible event that it stops working. (Eventually, all regulated mods WILL break.)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Helping a bit here.

WISMEC-WM-RBA-Kit-for-Gnome_08_5f0271.jpg

That's a different image of the RBA deck for the Gnome King. I'll admit the kit suggested by @nadalama looks like a good one, if I were keen to use a tank. Been a while since I used tanks and kind of spoiled on RDAs. I could see using an RBA tank though, possibly. Just the mod from the kit is running about $30, if the tank runs around $25 you're not going to find much better for less.

For myself though I'll hang ten where I am. Had two more RDA come in recently and got a regulated mod en route, despite my liking the mechanical mods. Wanted something regulated for traveling, if need be. And though it is regulated, it is still a squonker. Ha!

Yes, I see the copyright notice. I'm using "fair use" and not using the images to profit myself, only to illustrate for someone in public. After all I am linking to the image sources.

This RBA piece takes the place of the other coil head assemblies. You build your own coil/s and put them into the RBA deck yourself. Then, you don't need to keep buying expensive coil head assemblies to "replace" your coils.

You only need some wire which a nice 250 ft spool can cost $6 to $9 depending its material and where you buy it from. Granted that's bare round wire and nothing fancy but you can learn to build the fancy stuff if you desire.

As a plus, using a spool of wire you might get three to four hundred, or so coils from one spool of wire. :) Compare that to a pack of assemblies running $10 to $20 for a five pack each time and you can see the savings.

A good source for bare wire I deal with is TEMCo. They have SSL316, Kanthal A1, NiChrome 80 (use 80 or above) available. These are the three major materials we use to build coil/s with in vaping. All of these require super high temperatures sustained before they release the "deadly" toxins mentioned in a current U.S. PSA about vaping. We don't use "sustained" temperatures though as we only pulse for ten to fifteen seconds at most each hit.

Yes, I'm aware materials degrade with heat. You're replacing coils though frequently enough to avoid that snafu. I might suggest a monthly changing of coils, or even every two weeks. Some of us go longer but don't follow our herd as you may not be aware of what we're doing, or aware of how to gauge degradation. it takes time, experience. Not to say you can not "get there", anyone can but don't until you start gaining the experience points. :)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The main reason why I suggested to only buy the mod, not kit, is because it'll save a little bit of extra money to be able to grab a decent RDA later on. Again, it is a highly subjective thing, but... building your own coils is the one route to flavor PARADISE.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Any preference between that and the Wismec Luxotic https://cheapvaping.deals/wismec-luxotic-mf-box-kit-100w?
Also not sure I understand the kit vs. mod only. Is the mod just the base?

Did you want to squonk? That is a squonker mod, which means you’ll have to get a BF (bottom feed) atty.

This is why I suggested really easy but *good* setups. I started with those and was able to quit smoking.

The important part is to get off the cigs. And transition to vaping. You don’t need a 200W mod to do that!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Agree and in a lot of ways it's like many other types of places where you get some people who learn the products and some who don't. And maybe the people I spoke with had a lot of knowledge in a different area of vaping. The issue I have is getting misinformed because they sort of talk around my questions. I guess it's just human nature to not want to say "I don't know" and certainly they want to sell whatever they have- business. I read a lot online when I 1st bought the smok several years ago but it was still hard to understand what I didn't know to ask, if that makes sense... VU has been so helpful and clear and I don't feel too ridiculous asking what I know are basic questions. can't thank everyone enough for spending the time helping. Also when finally get this all fixed or a new one, I should try to get a new job in a vape store!

The vape shop people aren’t going to admit it if they can’t answer your question!

Vape shops in the US will be gone in September. Deeming is coming up and the gov’t is determined to kill the vaping industry, and to keep people smoking.

I’d suggest a really easy kit to get you off the cigs. Then when you’re pretty used to vaping, work up to a more advanced setup. I wouldn’t suggest starting out with a high power mod etc.

The guy that suggested the Wismec 200W Kit to you has a vape shop with people who are experienced vapers. Stick with something you can handle at your level of experience. That’s how almost all of us started here.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You don’t need a 200W mod to do that!
True, but then, you don't need to use a 200W mod at 200W. Thing is, a dual 18650 regulated mod gives more than double the battery life compared to a single 18650 regulated mod, and gives more battery life than even a single 21700 regulated mod.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea, the mod is just the electronic device, whereas the kit is both the mod and the tank that goes on top of the mod. Personally, I, don't like squonking excepting only for those moments when I want to vape by using just one hand, which almost never happens to me so, I almost always drip on an RDA because I find it 11 times more convenient compared to squonking.

Only 11 times more convenient? :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
True, but then, you don't need to use a 200W mod at 200W. Thing is, a dual 18650 regulated mod gives more than double the battery life compared to a single 18650 regulated mod, and gives more battery life than even a single 21700 regulated mod.

True. I just find the dual battery mods to be heavy-ish and a little too big to be comfortable for me. Since I’ve usually got at least two or three mods setup at once, I can go with a single cell mod.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for buying e-juice. I like to spend quite a lot of money on them, but if you want to keep things more affordable, there exist DIY flavorings that only require you to dilute them with (the correct amount of) PG/VG base liquid, shake it, let it steep for a while, and then add (also the correct amount, to suit your own personal need...) nicotine. Look for a brand of DIY flavorings called Chill Pill. The Pacha Mama lineup from Charlie's Chalk Dust has both e-juices and their respective DIY flavoring counterparts. You could later decide to get into the DIY mixing hobby that is combining multiple flavorings into a successful tasty recipe.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
True. I just find the dual battery mods to be heavy-ish and a little too big to be comfortable for me. Since I’ve usually got at least two or three mods setup at once, I can go with a single cell mod.
The Gen 3 Dual mod is actually not that heavy nor that big... the shape of this mod makes it really comfortable to hold IMO. Personally, I, would still be smoking cigarettes if I hadn't picked a high powered setup (the Wismec RX2/3, which is a triple 18650 regulated mod) immediately from the get go, and, I jumped from 80W to 90W after my first vaping week, then one month later I got the Wismec RX300 (quad 18650 regulated mod) because I had already gotten deep into DIY complex coil building my own dual coil build that I had been vaping at 140 watts with eight Sony VTC5A batteries being still not enough for me to make it through the day.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The Gen 3 Dual mod is actually not that heavy nor that big... the shape of this mod makes it really comfortable to hold IMO. Personally, I, would still be smoking cigarettes if I hadn't picked a high powered setup (the Wismec RX2/3, which is a triple 18650 regulated mod) immediately from the get go, and, I jumped from 80W to 90W after my first vaping week, then one month later I got the Wismec RX300 (quad 18650 regulated mod) because I had already gotten deep into DIY complex coil building my own dual coil build that I had been vaping at 140 watts with eight Sony VTC5A batteries being still not enough for me to make it through the day.

After a year and a half of vaping, I’m still moseying along at @35W!! It’s warm and dense enough for me. I was using a semi mechanical mod that was @70-80W and I didn’t like it. I didn’t test the ohms on it, but it made me cough for about two weeks. Then I bought something else!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Agree that the size is good even for smaller hands. The Gen3 Dual is one of my smallest dual-battery mods.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since I’ve usually got at least two or three mods setup at once, I can go with a single cell mod.

Sounds about kin to what I do. Got five single cell mods up and in rotation at present. Three are full mechanical mods, a fourth has a mosfet, number five is a regulated. Have another mosfet and full mechanical not in use. I've just grown accustomed to a single cell, single coil setup.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The guy that suggested the Wismec 200W Kit to you has a vape shop with people who are experienced vapers.
I don't have a vape shop. I only frequent a vape shop, because it is illegal to sell vaping products to consumers online in my country. Just because it is a 200W mod (not kit...), doesn't also mean it will be capable to sustain 200W all the way until the batteries run low. It starts to throttle down the power a lot earlier than that, depending on the wattage that you set on the mod. Recommending to stay away from high wattage vaping is a surefire way to never discover the confines of one's own personal comfort zone, which means you'll never become experienced, as you are merely recommending to someone else to stay away from exactly that which you yourself have never actually even tried... FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After a year and a half of vaping, I’m still moseying along at @35W!! It’s warm and dense enough for me. I was using a semi mechanical mod that was @70-80W and I didn’t like it. I didn’t test the ohms on it, but it made me cough for about two weeks. Then I bought something else!
Sucking on a vape for 7 whole seconds makes me feel seasick. So much so, had my first name been Steve, I would then be called Seasick Steve.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was using a semi mechanical mod that was @70-80W and I didn’t like it. I didn’t test the ohms on it, but it made me cough for about two weeks.

If I build a coil at 0.25 ohms or less, it hits me the same. It is just too hot a vape for me. This is why I stick with building 0.30 to 0.50 ohms builds. This gives me sufficient cloud and flavor production without being too hot, or being too hard on batteries.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So much so, had my first name been Steve, I would then be called Seasick Steve.

Nice to meet you not Steve. My first name is Bejamin or Ben. Though I'm often called Buck, Bud, Buddy, Joe, Jim, Jake, "Hey you". I am kind of working to displace myself though as I don't want to exist, rather allowing pseudonyms to take my place.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If I build a coil at 0.25 ohms or less, it hits me the same. It is just too hot a vape for me. This is why I stick with building 0.30 to 0.50 ohms builds. This gives me sufficient cloud and flavor production without being too hot, or being too hard on batteries.
I'm vaping on a 0.25 ohms dual coil build on a series mech as I'm typing this. It translates to almost 230W, which immediately proves the fact that, if you think that five times less than 230W is scaldingly hot, obviously you're doing something completely very wrong in that department.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nice to meet you not Steve. My first name is Bejamin or Ben. Though I'm often called Buck, Bud, Buddy, Joe, Jim, Jake, "Hey you". I am kind of working to displace myself though as I don't want to exist, rather allowing pseudonyms to take my place.
Ben Folds Five? :D

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Agree that the size is good even for smaller hands. The Gen3 Dual is one of my smallest dual-battery mods.

Thanks, Nada. After trying the Legend and some other dual cell mods, I realized I was happier with the singles.

But I know people love the Gen mod. So if I can find it for cheap before Prohibition, I’ll get it. :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't have a vape shop. I only frequent a vape shop, because it is illegal to sell vaping products to consumers online in my country. Just because it is a 200W mod (not kit...), doesn't also mean it will be capable to sustain 200W all the way until the batteries run low. It starts to throttle down the power a lot earlier than that, depending on the wattage that you set on the mod. Recommending to stay away from high wattage vaping is a surefire way to never discover the confines of one's own personal comfort zone, which means you'll never become experienced, as you are merely recommending to someone else to stay away from exactly that which you yourself have never actually even tried... FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

I’ve tried vaping higher power. I didn’t like it. Maybe when I build, I’ll be able to go higher power with different ohm coils. For the coils I’ve got for the tanks and mods I’ve got, it works our okay for me. I’m not smoking. And I like the juice I mix in the setups I’ve got. That’s good enough for me.

There’s no fear et al involved.

When I said that you “had” a vape shop, I meant you had access to a vape shop with actual experienced vapers working there.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’ve tried vaping higher power. I didn’t like it. Maybe when I build, I’ll be able to go higher power with different ohm coils. For the coils I’ve got for the tanks and mods I’ve got, it works our okay for me. I’m not smoking. And I like the juice I mix in the setups I’ve got. That’s good enough for me.

There’s no fear et al involved.

When I said that you “had” a vape shop, I meant you had access to a vape shop with actual experienced vapers working there.
Not trying to point any fingers at you, but when people say they tried high wattage, more ofthen than not it means they never actually tried it with decent handbuilt complex coils that are specifically designed for that exact purpose, nor were using the specific type of DTL atomizer that can be called suitable for this same purpose. Typically instead, they haven't figured out how airflow factually works, which immediately helps to explain why it makes these people cough and conclude that it is a "toasty" vape. It is what's called "doing it all wrong". Utterly so. I too don't like a hot vape. Warm, yes. If you can't tame hotness other than by lowering the wattage, it doesn't mean that that's impossible to achieve. It just means that you don't know how, even though it is fairly simple at worst. Contrary to popular belief, there is no "being experienced" involved with that. What's good enough for you might not be good enough for me, and vice versa. I already said previously in the thread it is a highly subjective thing.

The FUD that I was referring to in my reply to you is not about that at all. Rather, it is about not having tried something, and about not having tried something due to thinking "I know how this all works". The vast majority of people don't know how this all works. There simply is no toastiness, excepting only if you decide to build it that way, or you pick the wrong atomizer. Hence the uncertainty and the systematic fear of recommending to others to even just give it a fair try. If I vape at 35W on my RDA with these coils I've put inside, then no vapor comes out. Similarly, if you vape at 230W on your tank, then, regardless of what coil you've put inside, yes of course you're going to cough for two weeks. I would in fact be genuinely perplexed if you weren't going to cough for two weeks. That's all simply because high wattage vaping doesn't work like that. It just really doesn't.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm vaping on a 0.25 ohms dual coil build on a series mech as I'm typing this. It translates to almost 230W, which immediately proves the fact that, if you think that five times less than 230W is scaldingly hot, obviously you're doing something completely very wrong in that department.

Well, I've been wrong about a lot in life. Fuck I wasn't even supposed to have been born. Here I am. I wasn't supposed to have lived past eleven months old when pneumonia took my life. Here I am. According to my stepdad I wasn't supposed to amount to shit. I've a wife that loves me I do not rape, we're looking to buy a house. No, not shit at all. I wasn't supposed to have done half what I've done in life due a congenital disease. I did it anyway

I'll keep being wrong if being right means I need to conform to someone else's idea of right.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I've been wrong about a lot in life. Fuck I wasn't even supposed to have been born. Here I am. I wasn't supposed to have lived past eleven months old when pneumonia took my life. Here I am. According to my stepdad I wasn't supposed to amount to shit. I've a wife that loves me I do not rape, we're looking to buy a house. No, not shit at all. I wasn't supposed to have done half what I've done in life due a congenital disease. I did it anyway

I'll keep being wrong if being right means I need to conform to someone else's idea of right.
Sorry, but no, this isn't about someone's idea of right. Rather, it is about the common observation that, no, despite I am vaping at 230W, the whole inside of my mouth and throat does NOT get burned to a crisp, and that is still REGARDLESS of who has and who hasn't an idea... ideas are irrelevant when it comes to obvious truths, and, the only thing you are conforming to in this manner is an anti-truth. I.e., that which you are now trying to tell me is just a flagrant lie. I could send you a pic of my tongue to SHOW that it has no blisters all over it. But I'm not going to, as these kinds of remarks that you keep posting are based solely on pure, unadultered, BS. You either know how to tame the hotness or you don't. You don't know how, because you simply never tried. Willful ignorance at its finest. That plus using it to keep propelling so much useless FUD.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, but no, this isn't about someone's idea of right. Rather, it is about the common observation that, no, despite I am vaping at 230W, the whole inside of my mouth and throat does NOT get burned to a crisp, and that is still REGARDLESS of who has and who hasn't an idea... ideas are irrelevant when it comes to obvious truths, and, the only thing you are conforming to in t
You don't know how, because you simply never tried. Willful ignorance at its finest. That plus using it to keep propelling so much useless FUD.

his manner is an anti-truth. I.e., that which you are now trying to tell me is just a flagrant lie. I could send you a pic of my tongue to SHOW that it has no blisters all over it. But I'm not going to, as these kinds of remarks that you keep posting are based solely on pure, unadultered, BS. You either know how to tame the hotness or you don't. You don't know how, because you simply never tried. Willful ignorance at its finest. That plus using it to keep propelling so much useless FUD.

Perhaps I have tried and realized I need fucking massive coil/s. That requires me to use more batteries and I choose not going that route. Why would I choose that route? Well, why not as vaping is subjective. We can each choose how we desire to vape.

Frankly, I prefer to not lug more than one spare battery around when traveling. I prefer traveling as lite as I can feasibly. Not everyone feels a need to haul ten pounds of batteries around to vape.

Sorry but no, I'm not lying nor am I being willfully ignorant in this case. I am choosing my own path, thank you. What you're presenting here is "my way is right and the only way", or at least you're bordering on doing so. And that in my perception is someone else imposing their idea of what they think is right on others.

Nope, not happening, not Steve. In short, what suits me, suits me. What suits you, suits you. I've not altered my view at all nor said otherwise. Sorry, but I do not believe in doing that. My way is mine alone. Sure others might like it and do it. Others might try something else, like that.

It doesn't matter to me either way. I believe in a philosophy of live and let live, in vaping and in all aspects of living. Do I need people who do stuff differently as friends. It doesn't hurt having friends. Ultimately though I don't need them, plenty enough in the nearly 9 billion on Earth that might be friends who might do things similar to me.

While I do not need people who do things differently, I do appreciate having them as friends. It helps me avoid being willfully ignorant by letting me learn other ways of doing stuff. It helps me see different perceptions. These are things I need to grow and learn in life, to adapt. You of all people should understand and value that.

Will I be liked by everyone? Most likely not. Does that bother me? No, not really. Should it? No, not really. Will I live with myself being myself? Yes, I do and will.Does that mean that in order to claim rights you have to belong to a theatrically tragic minority?

You keep being you. I'll keep being me. :)

Edited to add: I can possibly do parallel builds to keep a cool vape. @nadalama & @MrMeowgi were attempting to help with those. I did try them a few times and they were okay. I'm just not the best at building them, ergo don't. That's the only other way I can deduce to build to avoid a hot vape. Apologies, parallels slipped my mind a bit, thought I'd add this though so as to not lie. Even doing parallels I use simple round wire builds.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps I have tried and realized I need fucking massive coil/s. That requires me to use more batteries and I choose not going that route. Why would I choose that route? Well, why not as vaping is subjective. We can each choose how we desire to vape.

Frankly, I prefer to not lug more than one spare battery around when traveling. I prefer traveling as lite as I can feasibly. Not everyone feels a need to haul ten pounds of batteries around to vape.

Sorry but no, I'm not lying nor am I being willfully ignorant in this case. I am choosing my own path, thank you. What you're presenting here is "my way is right and the only way", or at least you're bordering on doing so. And that in my perception is someone else imposing their idea of what they think is right on others.

Nope, not happening, not Steve. In short, what suits me, suits me. What suits you, suits you. I've not altered my view at all nor said otherwise. Sorry, but I do not believe in doing that. My way is mine alone. Sure others might like it and do it. Others might try something else, like that.

It doesn't matter to me either way. I believe in a philosophy of live and let live, in vaping and in all aspects of living. Do I need people who do stuff differently as friends. It doesn't hurt having friends. Ultimately though I don't need them, plenty enough in the nearly 9 billion on Earth that might be friends who might do things similar to me.

While I do not need people who do things differently, I do appreciate having them as friends. It helps me avoid being willfully ignorant by letting me learn other ways of doing stuff. It helps me see different perceptions. These are things I need to grow and learn in life, to adapt. You of all people should understand and value that.

Will I be liked by everyone? Most likely not. Does that bother me? No, not really. Should it? No, not really. Will I live with myself being myself? Yes, I do and will.Does that mean that in order to claim rights you have to belong to a theatrically tragic minority?

You keep being you. I'll keep being me. :)

Edited to add: I can possibly do parallel builds to keep a cool vape. @nadalama & @MrMeowgi were attempting to help with those. I did try them a few times and they were okay. I'm just not the best at building them, ergo don't. That's the only other way I can deduce to build to avoid a hot vape. Apologies, parallels slipped my mind a bit, thought I'd add this though so as to not lie. Even doing parallels I use simple round wire builds.
TL;DR: Just keep bratting about something that you've obviously never actually even tried, anyway in the first place. Ergo, you keep trolling with hollow statements of "0.25 ohms is just too hot", when the (non theatrical) REALITY is you still don't know it isn't the fact that it's 0.25 ohms that's making it hot─nor is the fact that you're not doing parallels, nor even the fact they slipped your mind. Rather, it's the fact it slipped your mind the fact you're just bratting, merely for the sake of continuing to brat. I'll keep being me by asking others not to feed the trolls. Also, nothing is tragic about being a realist. In spite of all your theatrical display, being the realist that I am is called a relief. In order to claim rights of knowing what you are talking about, you have to LEARN stuff. That is, as opposed to keep spreading theatrical, tragic, DRAMA.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
TL;DR: Just keep bratting about something that you've obviously never actually even tried, anyway in the first place. Ergo, you keep trolling with hollow statements of "0.25 ohms is just too hot", when the (non theatrical) REALITY is you still don't know it isn't the fact that it's 0.25 ohms that's making it hot─nor is the fact that you're not doing parallels, nor even the fact they slipped your mind. Rather, it's the fact it slipped your mind the fact you're just bratting, merely for the sake of continuing to brat. I'll keep being me by asking others not to feed the trolls. Also, nothing is tragic about being a realist. In spite of all your theatrical display, being the realist that I am is called a relief. In order to claim rights of knowing what you are talking about, you have to LEARN stuff. That is, as opposed to keep spreading theatrical, tragic, DRAMA.

There's several points of view to realism you're refusing to see. I find that disappointing from you. I too am quite realistic. Instead of berating for not knowing something, please do elucidate your point of view, explain what I'm missing?

I doubt you will as you're finding it easier to berate. Further, I'm a human being, I err. I forget things as a human being does. Please do not ask me to presume you have full recall capacity.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There's several points of view to realism you're refusing to see.
There are no points of view to realism. Especially not when it comes to the reality of who's trolling.
I find that disappointing from you. I too am quite realistic.
Now you're just imagining things... AGAIN.
Instead of berating for not knowing something, please do elucidate your point of view, explain what I'm missing?

I doubt you will as you're finding it easier to berate.
Adequately powerful, accurately focussed, stable airflow slamming right into the coils is what you're missing. That plus the numerous tiny cavities and crevasses between the various wire strands that are connected through which juice can flow in a complex coil build such as aliens. I.e., the flow rate of the juice resulting from not just increased total surface area of the coil, but from what's known as heavily increased adsorption rate─not just of the cotton wick, but of the actual coil itself, and how that can be made to work in tandem with airflow characteristics. When I say focussed airflow, I'm not just talking about the coil positioning. Focus and stability of airflow are also linked logically to the combination of both the amount of restrictiveness and the strength of your draw, among a few other important factors. I find that small differences are magnified, profoundly, once you nailed that sweet spot that causes you to cross a certain threshold that I like to call the doorstep of the flavor chasing universe.

Whether or not you'll actually prefer it to how you currently vape, that's entirely up to you to decide. It changes nothing of the fact the one who is berating others is you, as anyone who has been reading my posts is well aware that I have already been elucidating this particular subject in other discussion threads on here, numerous times in the past. BTW, I'm not trying to force anyone to investigate this route and learn. Everyone is still free to decide for theirself because they are an adult too. That is, as long as you don't berate me for the fact you're the one who decided not to investigate. If you don't investigate, then logically, you'll never know the answer to whether or not you are missing out. That's why you are berating, personal preferences put aside.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, I'll bite. As soon as I can I'm going to buy myself a decent pair of aliens and give this a try. Maybe @Just Frank will build me a pair. I'll be her first customer.

Is the Asgard Mini a decent RDA for this? The only other reasonably airy dual-coil RDAs I have are CSMNT/C2MNTs, but they are all clones.

It will have to be done on a regulated mod, probably one of the Gen3s, unless a Wismec Luxotic NC (switchable serial/parallel, dual 20700, running dual Vapcell gold batteries) is a better choice. Care to offer some guidance on this? I also have a (regulated) Geekvape Blade which uses dual 20700s, might hold up ok.

In recent vape experience, I have begun to see just a glimmer of the point you have been making, having taken my average vape wattage from about 35 up to a max of about 65, with coils that have a little more substance and using more airflow to keep them cool. At one time I would never have thought I'd be able to vape at 65 watts, so for me, that was progress.

I'll just try it and see what happens.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd have to ask if I can attain that using a single coil on a Gorge RDA. I got a regulated device I can use and another inbound. Give me examples of RDAs this works on and I'll try. Not saying you'll be correct or I will. I'm willing to try but thus far not seen any way to do it. Granted I'm using smaller chambered RDAs to chase flavor, the Wasp Nano, the Gorge, the Core. I do have a couple old Velocity V2s around I could try out.

If I were you, I would grab that Gen 3 Dual mod (not kit) before the discount code expires. Like I previously said, you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a better deal for a dual 18650 regulated mod, and, even if it turns out that your Smok mod still works, soon or later it will break still nevertheless. It's one part of the reason why I only use mech mods, but there is a learning curve involved with using a mech and the specific part of battery safety knowledge that applies to the particular subject of starting to use a mech. Whether you will decide to switch from using a regulated mod to using a mech mod or to not switch, you'll still be needing a working regulated mod, if only for the time being.

As long as you can be satisfied with the tank that you currently have, and you don't accidentally break this tank, you don't need another tank, nor kit. I presume you already have a spare glass for your tank, just in case you might one day crack the glass on it, in which case you won't be able to vape again until getting it fixed. Smok tanks are fairly popular, so finding a replacement glass shouldn't be too hard, for just a couple of extra bucks─and for peace of mind.

That being said, there are things that you can do to try to increase the longevity of a new mod. Like, don't let your e-juice creep inside it (via the 510 connector, the push-buttons, the ventilation holes, or the battery door). Don't use brute force on anything, and, don't drop it on a hard floor (or any other floor, if you can help it...). There's still always a risk that a mod (especially a regulated mod) will break prematurely. Having a spare mod is a major convenience, and will most definitely help to prevent relapsing back to smoking normal cigarettes, especially if you also have a spare atomizer to go with that─plus a working coil to put in there. Sure, I can think of better atomizers than the one you have. But that's always a subjective thing. The most important thing that one can worry about is that the stuff works, and that you have immediate access to a replacement in the possible event that it stops working. (Eventually, all regulated mods WILL break.)
I just got back from a grueling hour walk to the vape store and I can't believe how much more info you all posted! Once I catch my breath and stop sweating I am going to read it all. Just glancing through it I can see a lot I want to learn- thanks as always for the help.
So, good vape store man (GVM? :) ) remembered me from my call yesterday and had charged batteries ready to go. And my Smok works. I really cannot believe it. He gave me a small free sample of ejuice with niotine. We talked all things Wismec since that's mostly what I know right now. He has one at home- his sounded large. I have old- like 3 yr old ejuice without nicotine- that I may try unless I hear from you all that it's not a good idea. He said that the old juice w/ nicotine goes bad but the stuff without isn't unsafe. I'm just trying to stretch the money so that's where I'm at. Haven't used it yet but super happy to have this thing working and a plan!

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I'll bite. As soon as I can I'm going to buy myself a decent pair of aliens and give this a try. Maybe @Just Frank will build me a pair. I'll be her first customer.

Is the Asgard Mini a decent RDA for this? The only other reasonably airy dual-coil RDAs I have are CSMNT/C2MNTs, but they are all clones.

It will have to be done on a regulated mod, probably one of the Gen3s, unless a Wismec Luxotic NC (switchable serial/parallel, dual 20700, running dual Vapcell gold batteries) is a better choice. Care to offer some guidance on this? I also have a (regulated) Geekvape Blade which uses dual 20700s, might hold up ok.

In recent vape experience, I have begun to see just a glimmer of the point you have been making, having taken my average vape wattage from about 35 up to a max of about 65, with coils that have a little more substance and using more airflow to keep them cool. At one time I would never have thought I'd be able to vape at 65 watts, so for me, that was progress.

I'll just try it and see what happens.
Yes of course the Asgard Mini is much better than decent. You could try 28/36 Ni80 aliens at 7 wraps, 3mm ID dual coil = 0.20 ohms. This is suitable for regulated mods in wattage mode, in the 90W-100W range or thereabout. On the Wismec Luxotic NC with the switch set to series mode, you'll have to experiment with the voltage setting on the mod, but it will work like a champ. Even if it turns out that you don't like such a powerful coil build, you can still pull off half a wrap on each end of each coil to make it 6 wraps instead of 7. Next time when you order new 20700 batteries, go for the Sanyo NCR2070C because it performs a little bit better than the Vapcell gold 20700 despite the latter is also good. There exist three different versions of the Vapcell gold 20700, though. (One is black on gold, one is bright white on gold, one is off-white on gold... the latter has a true CDR of 25A instead of 30A.) As for the airflow adjustment on the Asgard Mini, with two rows closed off you get a moderate amount of restrictiveness. You won't have to suck on it like mad, but still hard enough that it won't taste burnt. When you mount the coils in the Asgard Mini, watch out with the coil positioning, as you don't want the coils to touch the piece of ultem that's inside the cap.

Just in case you didn't already know, before the first use and before wicking them up, alien coils need to be gently dry fired at low wattage intermittently while carefully strumming in one direction with the tip of your ceramic tip tweezers to work out all the hot spots, and, carefully pinch the wraps closer together if you see wrap spacing. To prevent the build deck from overheating in the process of repeated dry firing, rub a few drops of water around the side of the build deck if necessary. Insert a coil tool (the kind of metal rod that has 5 different thicknesses) to pull on the coils and align them properly, but also make sure to make use of the adjacent edge of the rod that's 0.5mm thicker than the inside of your coil, i.e., use it to keep the first half of the first wrap from shrinking as you pull on the coil. This is so that it will be easier to insert the cotton wick. Pulling on each coil fairly hard (but not too hard) also is necessary to keep them from slowly deforming over time. Re-check for hot spots. Finally, glow the coils fully red-orange at a tad higher wattage for a couple of seconds. Never glow Ni80 past red-orange, as that will only shorten the lifespan for no good reason. Avoid temperature shocks, abrupt changes in temperature will molest the wire.

It's a good practice to measure the ohms both before and after the whole dry firing process explained above. While vaping, when the coils are still relatively very new it usually happens that they very slowly move out of position a little bit. Be sure to check on that, re-position them before this misalignment grows worse.

P.S. - Don't overtighten your post screws. Before the whole dry firing process, they need to be tight enough that you can pull on the coils fairly hard like I explained above, but, if you overtighten a post screw, then the leg of the coil will get squashed between the tip of the screw and the post hole. Just re-tighten the post screws after the dry firing process is completed, i.e. before you measure the ohms again, but still make sure to not overtighten the post screws.

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not trying to point any fingers at you, but when people say they tried high wattage, more ofthen than not it means they never actually tried it with decent handbuilt complex coils that are specifically designed for that exact purpose, nor were using the specific type of DTL atomizer that can be called suitable for this same purpose. Typically instead, they haven't figured out how airflow factually works, which immediately helps to explain why it makes these people cough and conclude that it is a "toasty" vape. It is what's called "doing it all wrong". Utterly so. I too don't like a hot vape. Warm, yes. If you can't tame hotness other than by lowering the wattage, it doesn't mean that that's impossible to achieve. It just means that you don't know how, even though it is fairly simple at worst. Contrary to popular belief, there is no "being experienced" involved with that. What's good enough for you might not be good enough for me, and vice versa. I already said previously in the thread it is a highly subjective thing.

The FUD that I was referring to in my reply to you is not about that at all. Rather, it is about not having tried something, and about not having tried something due to thinking "I know how this all works". The vast majority of people don't know how this all works. There simply is no toastiness, excepting only if you decide to build it that way, or you pick the wrong atomizer. Hence the uncertainty and the systematic fear of recommending to others to even just give it a fair try. If I vape at 35W on my RDA with these coils I've put inside, then no vapor comes out. Similarly, if you vape at 230W on your tank, then, regardless of what coil you've put inside, yes of course you're going to cough for two weeks. I would in fact be genuinely perplexed if you weren't going to cough for two weeks. That's all simply because high wattage vaping doesn't work like that. It just really doesn't.

I wouldn’t expect to vape 35W on a mech with an RDA. But my Freemax tanks and their coils like it at 35W on some of the mods I use with them. (OBS Cube mods.) When I use the Freemax Twister mods, I can dial it up to 50+W. (It goes up to 80W. As do most of my single cell mods.)

I understand conceptually how a coil build affects the wattage, and how AF affects the vape. I also like a warm dense vape, and I’ve been able to get that with what I’ve got.

I have a few semi mechanical mods that came with tanks, that I hated when I first got them, but after a few days the vape got smoother. Also this was when I first started vaping and coughing was happening anyways.

If Deeming forces me into building and/or mechs, I’ll ask you for help.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes of course the Asgard Mini is much better than decent. You could try 28/36 Ni80 aliens at 7 wraps, 3mm ID dual coil = 0.20 ohms. This is suitable for regulated mods in wattage mode, in the 90W-100W range or thereabout. On the Wismec Luxotic NC with the switch set to series mode, you'll have to experiment with the voltage setting on the mod, but it will work like a champ. Even if it turns out that you don't like such a powerful coil build, you can still pull off half a wrap on each end of each coil to make it 6 wraps instead of 7. Next time when you order new 20700 batteries, go for the Sanyo NCR2070C because it performs a little bit better than the Vapcell gold 20700 despite the latter is also good. There exist three different versions of the Vapcell gold 20700, though. (One is black on gold, one is bright white on gold, one is off-white on gold... the latter has a true CDR of 25A instead of 30A.) As for the airflow adjustment on the Asgard Mini, with two rows closed off you get a moderate amount of restrictiveness. You won't have to suck on it like mad, but still hard enough that it won't taste burnt. When you mount the coils in the Asgard Mini, watch out with the coil positioning, as you don't want the coils to touch the piece of ultem that's inside the cap.

Just in case you didn't already know, before the first use and before wicking them up, alien coils need to be gently dry fired at low wattage intermittently while carefully strumming in one direction with the tip of your ceramic tip tweezers to work out all the hot spots, and, carefully pinch the wraps closer together if you see wrap spacing. To prevent the build deck from overheating in the process of repeated dry firing, rub a few drops of water around the side of the build deck if necessary. Insert a coil tool (the kind of metal rod that has 5 different thicknesses) to pull on the coils and align them properly, but also make sure to make use of the adjacent edge of the rod that's 0.5mm thicker than the inside of your coil, i.e., use it to keep the first half of the first wrap from shrinking as you pull on the coil. This is so that it will be easier to insert the cotton wick. Pulling on each coil fairly hard (but not too hard) also is necessary to keep them from slowly deforming over time. Re-check for hot spots. Finally, glow the coils fully red-orange at a tad higher wattage for a couple of seconds. Never glow Ni80 past red-orange, as that will only shorten the lifespan for no good reason. Avoid temperature shocks, abrupt changes in temperature will molest the wire.

It's a good practice to measure the ohms both before and after the whole dry firing process explained above. While vaping, when the coils are still relatively very new it usually happens that they very slowly move out of position a little bit. Be sure to check on that, re-position them before this misalignment grows worse.

P.S. - Don't overtighten your post screws. Before the whole dry firing process, they need to be tight enough that you can pull on the coils fairly hard like I explained above, but, if you overtighten a post screw, then the leg of the coil will get squashed between the tip of the screw and the post hole. Just re-tighten the post screws after the dry firing process is completed, i.e. before you measure the ohms again, but still make sure to not overtighten the post screws.

That's great, thank you!

The batteries I have in the NC are the bright white on gold 3100mAh Vapcells. I only have one of the c-series Sanyo 20700s.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd have to ask if I can attain that using a single coil on a Gorge RDA. I got a regulated device I can use and another inbound. Give me examples of RDAs this works on and I'll try. Not saying you'll be correct or I will. I'm willing to try but thus far not seen any way to do it. Granted I'm using smaller chambered RDAs to chase flavor, the Wasp Nano, the Gorge, the Core. I do have a couple old Velocity V2s around I could try out.
On the Gorge you have fairly limited build space so, I'd say it probably tops out somewhere in the uppermost region of what I like to call medium wattage, give or take. If you look on YouTube you will see that many of the old (and revered) pioneers in complex coil building were using 24mm dual coil RDAs with a single coil airflow option. I've done that with both the 24mm Goon and the Goon 1.5 because these two RDAs have enough build space for a single big coil in the (lowermost region of the) high wattage tier. But this was all ages ago, and, these days there exist loads of other options at various different price points of course.

build2.jpgstapled helix.jpg

I have a big handful of both 19.5mm RDA build decks from Purge and 20mm ones from Comp Lyfe (the so-called "Battle Deck"), but they are dual coil, and they have fixed airflow on each one of the various caps that can fit on them... and they are high dollar items of course. The CSMNT with the Shawty Cap has the smallest chamber size of all my RDAs... it too is a dual coil, but with adjustable airflow, and, they're hard to find now. The only single coil atomizers I have are the Deathtrap RDAs. (I have the entire lineup... including some backups.) Bottom line: none of the RDAs you have are designed big enough to wet your feet in true high wattage vaping... they are just one small step above midget coil porn, or Mouth To Little-ness. Grab yourself a used Bonza 1.5 or something like that.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
a month here and I was starting to play with mixing my own juice, building my own coils
I was encouraged to make my own liquid early on and I appreciate it. I wouldn't have even thought about it without the people on this forum.. I've been using rebuildables since before coming here. But with help, I learned how to use them better and found out which other ones were good.

I finally just started to make my own (clapton, fused claptons, Aliens, & Fralien) wires for coils a few months ago. I don't do it enough though to be honest. I need a few good long sessions to build up an inventory and gain more experience.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ya need more of those. ⭐ Best 20700 for mechs for sure.
Not just for mechs. For 20700 regulated mods they also are best, as they give a little bit more vaping time with them (unless you're vaping at several amps below 15A because, then, the Sanyo NCR 20700B takes over), whereas with 20700 mechs the red Sanyo (Red Sonja?) NCR2070C gives you harder.. err.. well, hits.

VU Sponsors