Become a Patron!

new at vaping

Being a Beginner at vaping, what is the easiest and most cost-effective way to get started. Looking to spend no more than $40 all together.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A fairly good kit, even low range cost, is going to run $20-$35. Then, you need juice, possibly wire, cotton/rayon for wicking. You may need to consider just a bit more outlay. It is worth it though, once you get "hooked". :)

Of course, got a good idea of the "kit" I enjoy now so that cost will be reduced. I use 1L of unflavored nicotine juice say every 9/10 months. That runs, or did, about $40.

There's now a lot of full press regulation coming to play. So the nicotine juice cost may go up quite a bit. Also gear for kits is getting a bit more difficult to get from online vendors. I would say start getting stuff in for yourself before May of this year.

Been vaping here about five years now. So figure at most my average yearly is $250 realistically. Comparing that to $1,200 or more for cigarettes though really lends perspective. Tack on any health care costs from cigarettes too and you really see clear.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The vape world is going pod. Most pods you can find for about 15-20 bucks and a bottle of juice will run about 10-15.
If you want a starter kit for freebase; or regular nic, yihi can usually find a decent kit at element vapes website for around 20-30 dollars.
first thing is look at both style of vaping and decide which suits you more. Are you looking to quit smoking or start a new hobby?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So figure at most my average yearly is $250 realistically.

And factually that average is way off too. I was lucky most of the five years to spend $100 per year. You have to look at sales, comparison shop as with anything.

Agree with @DaBunny, ask questions. Something you might want to consider up front, do you draw and hold in mouth first or draw right to lungs? You'll see the terms MTL/DTL/, ML/DL this is what those represent respectively. There is also what I do, restricted direct lung. I like good air but also air I can draw against to know I'm drawing vapor.

Whichever you choose will help define what kit you use. Whatever you choose for yourself will be right for you. You can also keep trying other stuff, switch up what you use. It'll still be right for you. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Being a Beginner at vaping, what is the easiest and most cost-effective way to get started. Looking to spend no more than $40 all together.

That's a bit of a challenge, but I did see yesterday that Wetvapes.com has a couple of Smok kits that come with tanks and a couple of coils for between $9.99 and $19.99 on clearance. That site also sells e-liquid, so you could order everything from one place and have only one shipping charge. I believe for orders under $50 their shipping costs $7.55. Also believe one of those kits needs external battery/batteries and one has a built-in battery. The built-in battery will save you money in the beginning, but is not an ideal choice. When the battery dies, the whole mod has to be replaced.

That will not give you a mod and tank that you'll want to stay with indefinitely and without backups. You'll want to get something better as soon as you can. But it will get you started.

If you can spend a little bit more, I'd recommend the Voopoo Drag X or the Argus GT kit, but for those units you'll need to buy one or two good 18650 batteries (Samsung 25R, Molicell P26A, Sony VTC 5A, LG HG2) plus juice. These are higher quality units than the cheaper Smok kits.

Note that both of these choices can be turned into rebuildable tank units. There is an RBA available for the Baby Beast tanks that are included in the Smok kits, and an RTA available for the Voopoo unit/kit. In fairly short order it is going to be difficult if not impossible to order vape gear online (which includes factory coils) and have it shipped through the postal service; there is a new law restricting that going into effect March 1. For long-term vaping, it may very well be necessary to learn to build coils and install them in an RBA or RTA yourself.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This post is not vaping related yet could apply to vaping. It is a general life and living post. People often ask like the post title, "how do I start?"

My grandfather told of how he learned to swim. As a young boy he watched the men and older boys roll logs in the river. One day no one was around. He thought he could do as the men and roll the logs too and cross the river.

As life goes, my grandfather fell off a log and into the river. No one was there to help him. He had a choice to sink or swim. Up to that point no one had taught him swimming. Well he learned to swim right quickly. The story he would often finish with the moral, "if you want to learn something, go fall off a log."

How do you start? Go fall off a log.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the outlay during the first year of vaping is always more than you want to spend, because of the experimentation and the sheer fun of trying things. It gets better and cheaper as you learn what works for you.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think the outlay during the first year of vaping is always more than you want to spend, because of the experimentation and the sheer fun of trying things. It gets better and cheaper as you learn what works for you.

Yes, that's generally the case. :)

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're trying to quit smoking cigarettes you might try an Innokin EQ FLTR.

If you're just looking to take up vaping as a hobby then maybe a Vaporesso Target PM80.

Look for deals that come with e-liquid or nic salts.

516_vaper_li

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not the time to be starting a new hobby imo. if you are coming off cigs, get a pod system with high nic and a shit load of liquid

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heck I can pif a mod. Just can not ship till the 25th.
No serious op I will give you a working setup. A decent built in battery mod and a big baby beast tank. Even a bottle of juice. Just lmk.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
$6.14 per pack of brand name smokes here in WV currently.

West Virginia is also the state with the highest tobacco use rate among adults of 25.2%.

Glad I quit when they were running ~ $4 a pack. I still saved lots of money even then switching to vaping. I bought three cartons a month, two packs a day for each of thirty days.

$4 times 10 packs makes it about $40 per carton. That's $120 a month, $360 per season, $1,440 yearly.

I spent roughly $100 a year on vape gear & juice, all in for vaping "stuff". That's $1,340 saved a year. Of course, the cost of cigarettes just kept going up too so it's a bit more saved.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in seeing all that savings.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Last pack of Camel Blues I bought for my husband here in rural Virginia was $5.85, $53.55 for a carton.

When my signature graphic quit working, the one that counted up how long since I'd quit smoking and how much money I'd saved, it was at about $24,000. That was at least 18 months ago. I've got a lot of gear, but going forward I won't be spending much of anything, not even for flavors. I've got flavors stocked up to last me until they aren't fit to use any more. Hell, if the flavors stayed good, I could probably mix pink bubblegum for a decade!

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
$10.57 Before tax
cartoon is over $100.00
so around $5,214.00 a years you folks have saved me.. BEFORE TAX
and that dose not include sparkey,, just me.. {{YIKES}}

what else can be said but
THANKS ever so for helping me GET OFF an STAY OFF Smokes.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
o_O Your cigarettes are crazy cheap!
Was at the supermarket yesterday and a guy got 2 packets of some el cheapo brand 25s and payed $76.
A 50 gram pack of Winfield brand rollies tobacco is $120.
🤔 Actually, I think we're talking amongst ourselves and the Op has forgotten about it!

"Mmm, I feel i'v forgotten something but can't think what!? Whatevs!"
images (9).jpeg

The vape world is going pod. Most pods you can find for about 15-20 bucks and a bottle of juice will run about 10-15.
If you want a starter kit for freebase; or regular nic, yihi can usually find a decent kit at element vapes website for around 20-30 dollars.
first thing is look at both style of vaping and decide which suits you more. Are you looking to quit smoking or start a new hobby?
I would say quit smoking.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As a smoker, you can't go wrong with the
  • Innokin Kroma-R mod
  • Innokin Zlide tank

If you'd rather have a pod system:
  • Innokin Kroma-Z pod system
Both of the above take the same coils: Innokin Z-coil

Smokers love both of the above.

VU Sponsors