Become a Patron!

New Forum Rule Proposed

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Know I'm not alone giving a good deal of thought to this issue. What I propose is that any user commenting they are smoking when vaping get instantly banned for 24 ours. Call it the doing it wrong rule. Getting disgusted seeing this keep coming up. Vaping has been around how long now? We've never smoked to vape.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
My thought process had to be reworked for that. Fortunately I enjoy proofreading, so I've fixed it every time. Plus, I trained myself to not say it when speaking with people in real life. The rule might be good for some people. Might turn some off too tho. But it's a good point. I even get mad at myself when I say it.

"It's not smoke dammit! Don't you understand what vapor is, like boiling water you f'in retard!" That's what I have to tell people but in a nicer way, all the time.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Know I'm not alone giving a good deal of thought to this issue. What I propose is that any user commenting they are smoking when vaping get instantly banned for 24 ours. Call it the doing it wrong rule. Getting disgusted seeing this keep coming up. Vaping has been around how long now? We've never smoked to vape.
Although the term used for vaping is wrong occasionally, I find that when this is misused it's almost always a language issue or a brand new vaper.

This forum is already much less active than it used to be and with no new moderators added in a long time I find that threads aren't monitored in a timely manner anymore.

Do we really want to start to ban new members for a period of time when all they need is some education on vaping, which is why many join in the first place? It sounds like this really bothers you but, with all due respect, your suggestion to ban people is arbitrary imo.

As an admin and owner of a vaping FB group I wouldn't consider muting someone for using the term smoking when talking about vaping, I'd gently correct them and hope that they enjoy their time in the group.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I say... depending on how annoying they are (do they appear to be ANTZ?), either gently correct them, or ridicule them for stupidity... depending on the circumstances. Just keep in mind that not every newbie is the same as the ones that came before.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
☺️ I propose the Crown/Dunce Hat system.
A user starts out with 10 points initial credits.
For every time the wrong terminology is used a point is deducted. When one reaches Zero a Dunce Hat is awarded.
Points of course can be regained by the use of Key Vaping Politically correct words.
Upon the use of each correct word a bite is taken out of the Dunce Hat and in that place a section of a Crown is revealed. When 10 Politically Correct Vaping words have been used a full Crown is revealed!
For those who have a Crown, each time they use a key Politically Correct Vaping term their Crown is awarded a Jewel. Some Rubies, Sapphires, Diamonds. They begin as Rubies and when you reach the stage of all becoming Diamonds, 20 of such, you win a prize!
A Pez dispenser!
s.jpg
It doesn't finish there though, no sir'ee, ah ah.
Upon winning 100 Pez Dispenser's the "Grand Politically Correct Terminology User" (that's my proposed title for them by the way) wins, wait for it....drum roll.............
780d1d3cf8345acd3058bab7c7ecf489.gif
The Grand Vaping Master 100 Pez Coat Of Happiness!
236x.jpg
I know... its awesome isn't! I even surprise myself at times. :slowclap:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think that making a rule to humiliate or denigrate someone (anyone) that isn’t versed in the vernacular associated with vaping is on par with chastising a foreigner of lack of proper decorum and cursing their native tongue just because it annoys you.

Gtfoh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Although the term used for vaping is wrong occasionally, I find that when this is misused it's almost always a language issue or a brand new vaper.

This forum is already much less active than it used to be and with no new moderators added in a long time I find that threads aren't monitored in a timely manner anymore.

Do we really want to start to ban new members for a period of time when all they need is some education on vaping, which is why many join in the first place? It sounds like this really bothers you but, with all due respect, your suggestion to ban people is arbitrary imo.

As an admin and owner of a vaping FB group I wouldn't consider muting someone for using the term smoking when talking about vaping, I'd gently correct them and hope that they enjoy their time in the group.

What does @MyMagicMist 's question have to do with the moderators of this forum? It is not against the forum rules to call vaping "smoking." We aren't here to be babysitters or critical parents, we're here to act when forum rules are broken.

There are moderators and admins on staff here who spend an inordinate amount of time working the forum. I'm not speaking for myself, but for others who work very hard behind the scenes and they act when it's appropriate to do so.

This is the second time you have taken the liberty of criticizing something you have no way of knowing about. Maybe you run your FB group differently, but VU's mods and admins understand what our roles are HERE.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
What does @MyMagicMist 's question have to do with the moderators of this forum? It is not against the forum rules to call vaping "smoking." We aren't here to be babysitters or critical parents, we're here to act when forum rules are broken.

There are moderators and admins on staff here who spend an inordinate amount of time working the forum. I'm not speaking for myself, but for others who work very hard behind the scenes and they act when it's appropriate to do so.

This is the second time you have taken the liberty of criticizing something you have no way of knowing about. Maybe you run your FB group differently, but VU's mods and admins understand what our roles are HERE.
:hug:

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, mebbe we need to calm down on the insta-ban idea.
And WTH do you mean you're "not allowed" to call vaping smoking???

holee cow...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

My question was, if another rule got added, that would create more for moderators to do. Although, it is possible that it could have been hard coded into the forum software itself. Still it would have required extra overhead on others.

I've also gone back and reconsidered rule 1 myself.

1. Be an Adult! (and yes, that means members are 18+, no exceptions)

To that end as an adult I can simply choose ignoring folks doing that. Most everyone posting in this thread offered valid counterpoints to my suggested idea of a new rule. Can own up to having been mistaken in my view and adjusting it. That in itself too is what it is being an adult.

Look, ... "I was wrong and admit it." I will strive to not be wrong again.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
MMM

i like you

but i will endeavour to ALWAYS say smoking now

Fuck me dead :facepalm:

Good. *chuckles* Like you as well & do mean that good. Can appreciate the "taking the piss". I deserve no less. *chuckles*

Will it as @Theboss suggests annoy me? No, not any more. Pardon the expression but "shit just rolls off".

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its already been discussed but it's like when newbs call coil heads "Filters". Hell, some people get annoyed at the term: steeping (for DIY liquids).

A little off topic but some vaping terms just don't make sense. "Mesh coil" think about that one.. I've never seen mesh actually coiled up 😆. It's just there but not coil shaped. No wait, I guess I have seen it coiled on some clamp deck RDA but that was one picture.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ummm, the mods would have to ban ppl in his proposed new rule so it has a lot to do with the mods on this forum.

I didn't criticize the mods, I'm sure they do their best. I said that there aren't enough of you and often times it shows only one online and when you ask a mod a question in a thread it can take days to get a response to which I attribute to lack of time.

Yes, it's the second time I mentioned it, but it was never in a critical way of the mods, only pointing out that there used to be more online and they used to have time to monitor threads more closely.

You can have a new member post a hardware thread that's missing something in the rules and I've seen a few times where it's taken over 8 hours for a mod to notice and say something, am I wrong to think that this is because you guys don't have the time to monitor threads as closely as in the past?

If anything, the point I was trying to make was that mods wouldn't have the time to monitor threads for the word "smoking" in defense of you guys. Then you go on a rant saying it's the second time I've criticized you guys?? I'm confused. I'm on here helping people or contributing in a positive way constantly (including you, GT4, B2K, Juggerknot mini questions) and do not post negatively in any threads, if you actually knew who I was on this forum you'd know already know that. I guess the fact that you don't know me kind of confirms what I have been saying.

Have a good day!

Last edited:

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I didn't criticize the mods, I'm sure they do their best. I said that there aren't enough of you and often times it shows only one online and when you ask a mod a question in a thread it can take days to get a response to which I attribute to lack of time.

Yes, it's the second time I mentioned it, but it was never in a critical way of the mods, only pointing out that there used to be more online and they used to have time to monitor threads more closely.

You can have a new member post a hardware thread that's missing something in the rules and I've seen a few times where it's taken over 8 hours for a mod to notice and say something, that tells me that something isn't working.
Have you reported any of these allegedly delayed moderator actions? We have many mods on our staff (Same amount we've always had) and they are all VOLUNTEERS. No one here punches a timeclock or gets a paycheck.

Not everything our staff does is done in the open forum. Sometimes the "offender" is PM'd and politely asked to correct their errors. We also give them 24 hours to correct it.

As far as the "not seeing mods online"... That is a change that happened when we upgraded to 2.0 and is out of our control. In 1.0 it showed the mods as online for however long they were logged into the forum. In 2.0, it now only shows the first 2 or 4 hours they are logged in. A mod can be strolling through the forum reading, but unless they do some kind of action 2.0 sees them as inactive and removes their name from the online list. There are always more mods in the forum that what the list shows.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ummm, the mods would have to ban ppl in his proposed new rule so it has a lot to do with the mods on this forum.

You can have a new member post a hardware thread that's missing something in the rules and I've seen a few times where it's taken over 8 hours for a mod to notice and say something, am I wrong to think that this is because you guys don't have the time to monitor threads as closely as in the past?

If anything, the point I was trying to make was that mods wouldn't have the time to monitor threads for the word "smoking" in defense of you guys. Then you go on a rant saying it's the second time I've criticized you guys?? I'm confused. I'm on here helping people or contributing in a positive way constantly (including you, GT4, B2K, Juggerknot mini questions) and do not post negatively in any threads, if you actually knew who I was on this forum you'd know already know that. I guess the fact that you don't know me kind of confirms what I have been saying.

Have a good day!

You and I might have to agree to disagree what constitutes a "rant." I don't feel that what I posted was a rant.

I appreciate that you give assistance to other members, and yes, I do know that you've helped me and I appreciate that, too. What really got to me, and I guess I should have addressed it then, was that in your first post that I referred to, you stated that you do more work on the forum than the moderators do. There is no way that's true. So when a second something showed up, it hit me wrong, and if I misinterpreted what you meant, then I sincerely apologize.

I know that some of my fellow moderators, and all of the admins, are on here at all hours of the day and night, looking for and repairing things that most members never see.

That's it from me, and you have a good day as well. At least from my perspective, there is no need to go to war over this. But you occasionally show your colors, too, like you did when you laughed at my earlier post.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You're referring to a tongue in cheek comment to which I put this :teehee: at the end of because a member was struggling to post pictures and needed help. That comment which everyone else seemed to know was a joke was liked by a mod too.

You're right though, not worth it. I don't have a history of drama on here and I'm not starting now. I've always had respect for those who give their time here to help run this forum.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You're referring to a tongue in cheek comment to which I put this :teehee: at the end of because a member was struggling to post pictures and needed help. That comment which everyone else seemed to know was a joke was liked by a mod too.

You're right though, not worth it. I don't have a history of drama on here and I'm not starting now. I've always had respect for those who give their time here to help run this forum.

Oh, it definitely does work for any member on the forum. You do what you've gotta do. I can live with it.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
IMHO those that use the wrong terminology are:
a) Trolls
b) noobs
c) non-english speakers

We have lost many long time members. Our strength is in our numbers. So correct and teach our lexicon instead of fighting about it.....

WWMMD....(What would MrMeowgi do?)

BTW ; Where's my 5 year badge? :cool:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As others have mentioned, some who refer to vaping as smoking are not native English speakers or new to the world of vaping. Same goes for calling e-juice oils. Our role would be to teach not punish unless there are actual forum rules violated. I can understand it gets frustrating at times, but you're gonna attract better people with honey and not vinegar.

Our mods have not got the mod=god thing going on unlike that other place. That is something I appreciate and is the reason I left ECF.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Although the original idea may be distasteful to some, the sentiment represents a legitimate problem.

Vaping's association with smoking is a problem. Even in my own life dealing with other smokers, that intrinsic association creates confused opinions about vaping. For non-smokers it's even harder to break that confusion.

The narrative is pushed on the public. The oligarchs who run this country/world don't care about the overall policy and how it affects the public. Those arguments are for the dummies and dupes that don't see the bigger picture. Ex. "OMG, we have to lobby congress about the real information"......Don't waste your fkin time!

They only care that they don't have a foothold on the industry. Which is why we're seeing the OUTFKINGRAGEOUS $3000 tax. Leaves new vapors like me scrambling to learn 10 years of vape knowledge in a few months and force me to buy quantities in a rushed manor when I don't really have the cash. And would-be vapors....well, RIP.

Within that mess.....of which I can pontificate at much length.....but within that mess of circumstances, I can certainly understand the original post. The public's perception won't be changed by any one thing, but it is a good idea to be vigilant with that little piece of language. That's the one thing we can do that is probably more effective than lobbying puppet politicians who do as they're told by people we'll never see.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
And my proposal? Easy. Ban them for 1 minute with a popup. Make it a funny thing, but memorable. It will probably work and keep everyone happy.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Although the original idea may be distasteful to some, the sentiment represents a legitimate problem.

Vaping's association with smoking is a problem. Even in my own life dealing with other smokers, that intrinsic association creates confused opinions about vaping. For non-smokers it's even harder to break that confusion.

The narrative is pushed on the public. The oligarchs who run this country/world don't care about the overall policy and how it affects the public. Those arguments are for the dummies and dupes that don't see the bigger picture. Ex. "OMG, we have to lobby congress about the real information"......Don't waste your fkin time!

They only care that they don't have a foothold on the industry. Which is why we're seeing the OUTFKINGRAGEOUS $3000 tax. Leaves new vapors like me scrambling to learn 10 years of vape knowledge in a few months and force me to buy quantities in a rushed manor when I don't really have the cash. And would-be vapors....well, RIP.

Within that mess.....of which I can pontificate at much length.....but within that mess of circumstances, I can certainly understand the original post. The public's perception won't be changed by any one thing, but it is a good idea to be vigilant with that little piece of language. That's the one thing we can do that is probably more effective than lobbying puppet politicians who do as they're told by people we'll never see.

I agree. There needs to be an awareness of the difference between vaping and smoking. Too many non-smokers have been convinced that vaping is actually WORSE than smoking - and thanks for that go to the fuckers who put THC in Vitamin E acetate based in oil and then sold them cheap on the black market. Oh, and thank you, Juul, for going into high schools to promote 60mg vapes that the kids could use to get high - in other words, to OVERDOSE themselves on nicotine.

I believe that @Countrypami 's response to the problem is consistent with VU's overall intent to allow as much free expression as possible, to treat its members as adults instead of children who need to be micro-managed, as long as nothing underhanded or illegal is intended, and politics are not involved.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

good point, i mean they cant be taken to task for having a medical issus! $35 bucks in australia for 30 cancer sticks $2 bucks to make 30mls of juice! figure it out.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Its already been discussed but it's like when newbs call coil heads "Filters". Hell, some people get annoyed at the term: steeping (for DIY liquids).

A little off topic but some vaping terms just don't make sense. "Mesh coil" think about that one.. I've never seen mesh actually coiled up 😆. It's just there but not coil shaped. No wait, I guess I have seen it coiled on some clamp deck RDA but that was one picture.
:huh: Never factored that in. Thats 2 dunce hat points!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Good. *chuckles* Like you as well & do mean that good. Can appreciate the "taking the piss". I deserve no less. *chuckles*

Will it as @Theboss suggests annoy me? No, not any more. Pardon the expression but "shit just rolls off".

When I was a noob, I was puffing away my super bitchin' carto and 200 mHa battery in the parking lot of a grocery store

A dude walked up to me and asked if I was vaping.

"No," I said, proudly. "I'm smoking my ecigarette."

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i saw a great sticker on a car it said..i may have lost my virginity..but i still have the box it came in

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
When I was a noob, I was puffing away my super bitchin' carto and 200 mHa battery in the parking lot of a grocery store

A dude walked up to me and asked if I was vaping.

"No," I said, proudly. "I'm smoking my ecigarette."
you are a juicy vaper, good on you girl, tell the next dude you are sucking something bigger and better than he has lol

Hey Magic Mist! I'm just getting into vape and dont know where to start. Can you guide me what is the best what is the best product to buy. I did a little research from this website and planning to buy vaporesso xros.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey Magic Mist! I'm just getting into vape and dont know where to start. Can you guide me what is the best what is the best product to buy. I did a little research from this website and planning to buy vaporesso xros.

Looks to be a good low end starter kit you're after there. Vapresso has been making some decent gear for a while now. Don't see too much out of line with your choice for a pod system.

For pod systems, always try getting "open pod" types. These will be pods you can refill yourself without needing to go buy proprietary pods filled with proprietary juice. You don't need or desire being "locked into" any one company or product. Consider what happens if a company stops supporting a product, or there's a supply shortage, customs problems. There you are stuck without what you do want.

Always have a backup and maybe a backup of a backup. Avoid any juices which are oil based or have too much more than say 7 to 10 ingredients. Your basic free base juice is either 2 or 3 ingredients, PG and Nicotine, VG and Nicotine, or a combination of PG, VG and Nicotine. Flavorings can add up depending on what flavor/s you like. Again stay away from anything oil based, opt for water soluble.

The goal is to be flexible so as to make adaptability easier. Remember some of the only constants are change and entropy. Living warrants change simply because change is constant and entropy is the subtle force which "wears stuff out". Everything breaks down, falls apart save for energy. Energy is a third constant but not like change or entropy. Energy is never created or destroyed, only shifts forms. As lots of "wise masters" put it, "be like water".

Once/if you decide to try different styles from pods you might consider an Innokin MVP 5 Ajax kit to bring you into box mods, tanks. Stick with that until when/if you decide to learn about oHm's law and you choose getting into mechanical mods and RDAs. This ought to give you a fair guidepost and hope it helps.

Note: Not a shill for Innokin, nor an associate. I'm paid nothing in suggesting their MVP 5 kit above. I suggested it after seeing it, had experience with an MVP 3 kit. Liked the product and "direction" Innokin was moving the MVP line of product. Will say they are tough kits to turn away. The MVP 5 kits are running about $70 USD. For what you get, a mod and decent sub ohm tank that cost isn't too horrible. You could have that kit for at least two to five years, maybe more. It would do well in that time, too. The only issue I've with these type of mods is the internal battery.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors