Become a Patron!

New SXMini G Class and not impressed :( (Better Now) :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I realize this mod is an old model now, but with all the raves it got I thought I'd give it a try. Been vaping on my trusty old Yihi IPV4S after the (newer) VT133 DNA mod died at just 3.5yrs old.

I'm a 100% VG, TC-only vaper, so TC isn't new (been TC'ing for over 4yrs). Also always use an Aromamizer Supreme, dual coil, DIY 7-wraped, spaced, 316L 24g, organic cotton wick. Same setup now for last 4+ years.

The VT133 DNA and IPV4S delivered similar (both great) vaping experiences. Clouds and flavor. I can't say the same for the SXMini G Class. Except in power mode.

For some reason TC mode is weaker. Less vapor, less flavor. No matter how I dial it. My usual settings are 410F and 35J. On the SX I also chose Power+ mode for an initial kick to match up with the TCR curve I had on the DNA and the experience of the IPV4S. Bumping the watts (joules) to 36 helps. Any higher and it gets too hot and starts to get a very slight burny flavor. So at these settings it's doable but nothing to write home about compared to what I had been vaping on the other mods. (Certainly no better, and maybe not quite as good.)

However my real beef is something else ... and I am hoping this is user error and someone can set me straight.

The memory settings (M1, M2, etc) don't actually keep the settings where I left them last. For instance, since the TC was weak, I wanted one of the memory settings to be a power mode config - so entered the settings I wanted in M1 and pressed the joystick in, then the fire button once.... but if I switch away from M1 to go to M2 where I saved TC settings, everything is still in watts mode and I have to do an extra press of the joystick to get it to change to TC/Joules and bring up the settings that I have saved in M2.

Then it's the same routine if I switch back from M2 to M1 - everything is in Joules mode and have to press the joystick to switch back to watts/PM to get the real settings there. ?! In all past mods whatever you entered into each flash memory setting was saved. Simply switch to M1 or M2 brought up your saved settings. No messing about with extra presses or the Memory banks reflecting settings from the previous bank.

Installed the PC app to try configuring M1, M2, etc through that so see if they would stick without the extra press. I couldn't use the sliders to configure the settings! They won't slide with the mouse, (they stay where they are) then suddenly JUMP somewhere... and no way to simply enter the number "35" (or whatever joules/watts you want). This is on a laptop with W7 64-bit. I know that's an old OS but still millions using it, so you'd think the softw would be compatible.

I am a Yihi or DNA person, but always leaned Yihi. However if I would have tried the SX out ahead of time, would probably have gotten a newer model IPV mod. I'll get used to it (just got it today), but I am surprised at the over-the-top rave reviews. I'd give it a C at best. (EDIT FEW DAYS LATER: Revised to a B- as explained in a later post in this thread.)

But maybe I'm the one who's not doing something right!

EDIT: Another con forgot to mention - in TC mode you must lock resistance in order for it to work in TC. Maybe things have changed but when I was learning about vaping locking resistance was NOT desired and only did it if the tank was wonky with jumping resistances, which meant you really needed to fix the base/coil/screws or replace the tank. You could say it was to compensate for dodgy equipment which was more common when vaping was still coming into its own. But resistance naturally changes as the wire heats and cools, and so when it's not locked, your settings are working off whatever the current, true resistance is, instead of the 'false' locked-in setting. Now maybe their chip/firmware compensates for that, but it still seems less accurate that working off the actual resistance of the wire in real time. (All my understanding of it. Maybe I have something wrong.)

EDIT: I would have been very disappointed if I paid $200+ for this like many did - esp back when it came out. Luckily I paid $90 from Everzon as they were having a sale. But can't imagine these foibles in a $200-$300 device!

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I, am NOT surprised at over-the-top rave reviews, as these reviews truly are a dime a dozen, and have been that for a very, very long time to put it mildly. You want the most accurate TC? Then get a Dicodes. You want second-to-most accurate TC with more available mod choices in addition to that? Then vaping has Evolv'd. ?

You want the best bang for your buck and you aren't too afraid to re-solder a wire or two and/or to superglue a 510 connector permanently in place because the mods are piss easy to un-assemble/re-assemble anyway after all? Then, regardless of whether or not you want to use TC, just grab a Wismec and install the free-to-download ArcticFox or Red Panda firmware. You are the type of cheapskate/mid-price noob who is too lazy/stupid to apply such an easy fix and you want to be ripped off as a direct result from this clear fact? Then get a Yihi.

The main thing to always want to remember, though, is that TC relates to vaping like training wheels relate to riding a bicycle. Here endeth the vaping lesson.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha ha I'm sure a wismec is a lot better in Tc than Yihi ?‍♂️. And rude again. Lol. Plainly called the dude a cheapskate.
Don't worry about this guy op. He does this to everyone needing hp for some reason. Vape Yoda is strong with this one.
I didn't like the tc on the glass because I couldn't get it to quit pulsing so I gave up. My mistakes I'm sure

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use the memory settings so can't help you there.

However, everything I've used with my SX Mini G-Class works great. I just pulled it out and threw one of my Lotuses on it with a Ti1 (.172) build, set it to Ti1/70 joules/420 and it vapes fabulously.

You've had previous YIHI devices so you know that in TC only the joules setting has any effect.

I didn't do the hold the joystick to "lock" the resistance thing, but as far as I've understood that doesn't actually lock the resistance. It resamples it and it should only be done cold. I could be wrong about that.

Mine works fine in SX-IQ, but it can be fidgety. Sometimes it'll say it sees the device, but the connection says it's not connected and the settings and IQ areas are wrong. I think that may be because of the old USB cable I've been meaning to replace forever though.

The SX550J has a learning curve for sure and yes it can be fidgety, but don't get ahead of yourself. I predict you'll be back in here telling us that you got it hammered out and it vapes great.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Carambrda As with just about everything else in life the experience of vaping is personally subjective. A mod that delivers exactly what the user wants vape-wise, appeals aesthetically, and is at what the user considers a fair price point will not be the same for everyone.

I did own a DNA (before it died) and it was a good vape but in 3.5 years I had to repair it several times. Had to disassemble more than once to swish the board in alcohol to remove juice (which should not be able to seep in during normal usage imho), had to replace the LCD (and no, it didn't get swished in alcohol - it just burnt out), and the screws that held on the 510 came loose constantly (stayed with some locktite but that eventually didn't work either) and ultimately became stripped. And then it just died period.

The IPV4S Yihi, OTOH, still works like new even though it's a year older than the DNA mod was, vapes just as good as the DNA, and has never given me a single issue. It appears to be sealed better and made better in general, and it was half the price. I also like that Yihi chips can be controlled on the mod without requiring sftw. Though it was fun to make my own screens for the DNA mod and I like supporting a USA company, so I will eventually get another DNA. But because it didn't last, I got another YiHi for now.

And no, I am not up for buying a mod that will need soldering to work better or properly. Imo a mod should work great out of the box, and stay that way until its end of life. If that's stupid, so be it. :)

After playing with the SXMini G Class a few more days, I would revise my personal rating to a B- and if they fixed the memory setting bugs and app problems in W7, a B+ or A-. The bugs are the only sticking points now.
I ended up dialing it in at 405F and 33J. And that gives me a real nice vape.

And no, TC is not equivalent to "training wheels." That implies if you use power mode correctly, you never get a dry hit, which in turn assumes everything is working correctly together. Tanks are designed for a PG/VG mix, not for 100% VG (which is what I vape). PG/VG is thinner and so flows faster and wicks easier. 100% VG flows slower, is thicker, and many of not most tanks won't deliver the amount of juice required to chain hit VG in power mode without dry-hitting. Even if you drill out the juice wells, which I do. And no, I don't want to drip as a rule - it's too much trouble. Nor do I want to squonk.

TC not only allows the user to set a personal taste curve, it fine tunes the hit by keeping the coil at the perfect temperature for vaporizing your personal juice mix at the correct temperature for the duration of the pull.... pull after pull... every time. It's a fine-tuned way to vape for those who want to dial in the vaping experience effortlessly which (as a bonus) protects your lungs from carbon. It also allows you to vape your cotton 'dry' between changing juices, without burning the cotton. I'd compare TC to a jet cockpit, and power mode to a prop plane. Both will get you where you want to go, but the jet gets you there with more sophisitated options and is a safer, smoother ride.

Now for those who find power mode works great for their needs, that's fine. And many long time vapers (even many trusted reviewers) stick with power mode and never get into TC. To each his or her own.

No need to knock the various vaping options that are out there, just because you personally don't find the need for all of them, and so perhaps don't fully understand and can't appreciate their place. Just saying...

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I predict you'll be back in here telling us that you got it hammered out and it vapes great.

Ha. You were right my friend. I did dial it in - at a much lower F than on my previous mods. 405F and 33J (vs 415F). And it is a very nice vape now.

My only complaint now are the bugs.

I did try to upgrade the mod using the sftw. The mod I got is the Black Golden edition which was released in 2018 (AFAIK it's the last or 'most recent' iteration of the G Class.). It came with FW v8.100 but saw there was a v8.101 which says "it has a new UI" (which I don't care about as I like the UI on it) but also said it fixed bugs. So that was the reason I wanted to try it.

Installed the newest SXi-Q/driver and the v8.101 FW an gave it a whirl... it put the mod in "control mode" (which shows a blank blue screen) and the progress bar came up but nothing happened. The timer in the progress bar said 0.00 seconds and it hung. Waited 5m then tried closing the app but everything was locked. Safely removed the mod and used Task Mgr to close the app. The mod was bricked. :) (I've done hundreds of FW upgrades on everything from computers to routers to tablets and while I always worry about it until it's done, I never had a single problem over the decades.)

Tried rebooting the mod, same blue screen. Removed batts and reinserted. Same blue screen. No response on any of the buttons or joystick.

Luckily I had previously downloaded the stock FW that came on it (v8.100) in the event something like this happened. Opened the app again (this is all on a W7 laptop), plugged in the mod and it did say connected though there were yellow warning signs and issues - could not read the Info on it and some other error about the USB not working or something...

CLicked upgrade and chose the stock FW file... and immediately the timer on the progress bar started counting off seconds, even though it wasn't showing any real progress... waited... and after a few minutes saw the TINIEST bit of green showing as it began the process. An hour later, it finished and all is well, back to stock.

So another bug to be fixed in the v8.101 FW I guess... a point off for that, but a point in their favor that although it bricked the mod, it was also able to recover it. And point B counts the most when all is said and done. :)

I don't have a lot of hope there will be any more FW upgrades since the G Class is older now. But I can live with it. Esp for the $90 I paid. It's a nice mod and I am happy I got it.

Oh, and thanks for the info on locking the TC. For me TC won't work unless you lock the resistance first (this is also in many instructions, so maybe it applies to later FW versions and not the earlier ones), but it does a good job regardless of how it's actually working internally.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine updated ok. I got it used, but it still had the v8.100 fw on it. Honestly it sounds more like an issue with your machine than the mod or the software. Not because of Windows 7, it should be fine in Windows 7, but the behavior you're describing sounds like some issue with that particular machine. The USB controller drivers or something. If you can, try it on a different machine. And or different cable.

Also, maybe try re-downloading the fw file. I'm one of these guys who has to have the latest fw available. I've never failed to get one upgraded. Even when it gave me a world class arm wrestling match. Like the Vaporesso Switcher or the SX Mini SL Class. As long as the Windows piece can see the chip id, there's always a way to resurrect a mod.

Glad you got it working how you want :) Don't be afraid to jack up the joules some. I like the "powerful++" boost too myself.

Oh yeah. I like the new GUI too :)
20190728_200811_cr.jpg

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Niiice! That's the exact one I have. (Black Golden, vs the "Black and Gold Luxury Edition" which has the full face gold plate, which I don't like as much as the one we have.) So that's good to know you were able to update yours.

I think you're on to something that it's a USB driver issue... however it was able to 'upgrade' it back to v8.100 - and if it were a USB driver issue, that seems puzzling. Either the USB driver works or it doesn't, and it works with the stock FW so... only thing would be if the new FW (8.101) has some additional USB-driver related code in it (i.e. handles the USB driver differently or calls for some protocol) that is not present in the v8.100 FW.

Trying it on another machine is a good idea. Thanks for the input! :cheers:

PS... oh and I did download the file again last night AND the stfw/driver... yup, cause you never know.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you're on to something that it's a USB driver issue... however it was able to 'upgrade' it back to v8.100 - and if it were a USB driver issue, that seems puzzling.
Well, that's true. I wasn't thinking about the fact you had re-flashed it to the old firmware when I was typing that. With a controller issue it would usually either work with that device or not. Or work in general or not.
only thing would be if the new FW (8.101) has some additional USB-driver related code in it (i.e. handles the USB driver differently or calls for some protocol) that is not present in the v8.100 FW
True, but I doubt this. As I'm pretty sure you do too. :)

On a different, but related note, I have an Eleaf mod that absolutely will NOT be detected by my main Win 10 machine for Arctic Fox., but pops right up on my one remaining Win 7 machine :wait:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, that's true. I wasn't thinking about the fact you had re-flashed it to the old firmware when I was typing that. With a controller issue it would usually either work with that device or not. Or work in general or not.

True, but I doubt this. As I'm pretty sure you do too. :)

On a different, but related note, I have an Eleaf mod that absolutely will NOT be detected by my main Win 10 machine for Arctic Fox., but pops right up on my one remaining Win 7 machine :wait:

Ha. I had a similar (unrelated but parallel) experience this morning. Went to order some VG and pay with PP using the latest Waterfox Current browser (equivalent to latest Firefox Quantum); logged into PP but then the PP screen was blank, so could not process pymnt (and yes, UBlock was disabled). Tried with two other up-to-date browsers with same result. Finally tried using the old PaleMoon I had on hand (defunct Mozilla branch with old, un-updated technology) and it worked perfectly. What can I say.

Agreed that added USB-related protocols in the new FW seems least likely but this is an old laptop (2008). So you never know. But that's why I downloaded the FW file again, as that would seem more likely.

Will report back on attempted upgrade when I get around to trying it again.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I downloaded the FW file again, as that would seem more likely.
Happens only occasionally anymore and usually the file just won't run or the compression app will tell you, but a corrupt download is a possibility and it doesn't cost anything to try it.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Right. Probably most likely cause is a W7 background process kicking in at just the wrong time causing a conflict. Or a USB driver bug that's intermittent. Doesn't hurt to use a newly dl'd FW file IAC. Maybe tomorrow will give it another try.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Carambrda As with just about everything else in life the experience of vaping is personally subjective. A mod that delivers exactly what the user wants vape-wise, appeals aesthetically, and is at what the user considers a fair price point will not be the same for everyone.

I did own a DNA (before it died) and it was a good vape but in 3.5 years I had to repair it several times. Had to disassemble more than once to swish the board in alcohol to remove juice (which should not be able to seep in during normal usage imho), had to replace the LCD (and no, it didn't get swished in alcohol - it just burnt out), and the screws that held on the 510 came loose constantly (stayed with some locktite but that eventually didn't work either) and ultimately became stripped. And then it just died period.

The IPV4S Yihi, OTOH, still works like new even though it's a year older than the DNA mod was, vapes just as good as the DNA, and has never given me a single issue. It appears to be sealed better and made better in general, and it was half the price. I also like that Yihi chips can be controlled on the mod without requiring sftw. Though it was fun to make my own screens for the DNA mod and I like supporting a USA company, so I will eventually get another DNA. But because it didn't last, I got another YiHi for now.

And no, I am not up for buying a mod that will need soldering to work better or properly. Imo a mod should work great out of the box, and stay that way until its end of life. If that's stupid, so be it. :)

After playing with the SXMini G Class a few more days, I would revise my personal rating to a B- and if they fixed the memory setting bugs and app problems in W7, a B+ or A-. The bugs are the only sticking points now.
I ended up dialing it in at 405F and 33J. And that gives me a real nice vape.

And no, TC is not equivalent to "training wheels." That implies if you use power mode correctly, you never get a dry hit, which in turn assumes everything is working correctly together. Tanks are designed for a PG/VG mix, not for 100% VG (which is what I vape). PG/VG is thinner and so flows faster and wicks easier. 100% VG flows slower, is thicker, and many of not most tanks won't deliver the amount of juice required to chain hit VG in power mode without dry-hitting. Even if you drill out the juice wells, which I do. And no, I don't want to drip as a rule - it's too much trouble. Nor do I want to squonk.

TC not only allows the user to set a personal taste curve, it fine tunes the hit by keeping the coil at the perfect temperature for vaporizing your personal juice mix at the correct temperature for the duration of the pull.... pull after pull... every time. It's a fine-tuned way to vape for those who want to dial in the vaping experience effortlessly which (as a bonus) protects your lungs from carbon. It also allows you to vape your cotton 'dry' between changing juices, without burning the cotton. I'd compare TC to a jet cockpit, and power mode to a prop plane. Both will get you where you want to go, but the jet gets you there with more sophisitated options and is a safer, smoother ride.

Now for those who find power mode works great for their needs, that's fine. And many long time vapers (even many trusted reviewers) stick with power mode and never get into TC. To each his or her own.

No need to knock the various vaping options that are out there, just because you personally don't find the need for all of them, and so perhaps don't fully understand and can't appreciate their place. Just saying...
What makes you think I'm not fully aware that vaping is part technology, part subjectiveness? You voiced your own personal opinions, and so I chimed in by voicing mine... people who seem clever enough to dial TC in properly should be capable to understand this clear fact without the need to draw them a picture and/or start to mince words about it each time when a discussion similar to this pops up on the internet, right?

Further, I never said that TC is useless to everyone who vapes─just like I never said that training wheels are useless to every person who rides a bicycle. Most people can learn to do without... only some can't, and, personally, I, am disabled for the fact I can no longer see myself vaping on a regulated mod. (Even, if I wear goggles to try to remedy that impairment.)

As for not being capable to unscrew a few screws and replace a bit of wiring with a soldering iron, and that the crap should work straight out of the box. Point taken, BUT... if that's also your problem, then, pardon my ignorance once again when I say that some kind of spiritual entity in the clouded heavens only knows why you are even thinking about using a rebuildable atomizer anyway in the first place. LOL!

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What makes you think I'm not fully aware that vaping is part technology, part subjectiveness? You voiced your own personal opinions, and so I chimed in by voicing mine... people who seem clever enough to dial TC in properly should be capable to understand this clear fact without the need to draw them a picture and/or start to mince words about it each time when a discussion similar to this pops up on the internet, right?

Further, I never said that TC is useless to everyone who vapes─just like I never said that training wheels are useless to every person who rides a bicycle. Most people can learn to do without... only some can't, and, personally, I, am disabled for the fact I can no longer see myself vaping on a regulated mod. (Even, if I wear goggles to try to remedy that impairment.)

As for not being capable to unscrew a few screws and replace a bit of wiring with a soldering iron, and that the crap should work straight out of the box. Point taken, BUT... if that's also your problem, then, pardon my ignorance once again when I say that some kind of spiritual entity in the clouded heavens only knows why you are even thinking about using a rebuildable atomizer anyway in the first place. LOL!
OK friend, you didn't say what you said. And "training wheels" is not a misunderstanding of TC expressed as mischaracterization (because many adults use training wheels on their bicycles). And you know everything not only about vaping but about me. You pegged it all.

Life is too divisive in the real world right now to be defensive and rude on a forum where people, with at least one thing in common, come to chat and relax. If I offended you in my original post, I apologize. But I do think my post was accurate on the points (jmo). Sorry if the delivery rankled you.

Too much is going on in the world right now to worry about a thread on a forum overmuch. Really. But point taken. Will attempt to take your sensibilities into more careful account. I don't think most people come here to pick fights or upset other members. It's certainly not my intention. But backhanded slights - or kind words - will beget the same in most cases. I prefer the latter and try to avoid the former.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK friend, you didn't say what you said. And "training wheels" is not a misunderstanding of TC expressed as mischaracterization (because many adults use training wheels on their bicycles). And you know everything not only about vaping but about me. You pegged it all.

Life is too divisive in the real world right now to be defensive and rude on a forum where people, with at least one thing in common, come to chat and relax. If I offended you in my original post, I apologize. But I do think my post was accurate on the points (jmo). Sorry if the delivery rankled you.

Too much is going on in the world right now to worry about a thread on a forum overmuch. Really. But point taken. Will attempt to take your sensibilities into more careful account. I don't think most people come here to pick fights or upset other members. It's certainly not my intention. But backhanded slights - or kind words - will beget the same in most cases. I prefer the latter and try to avoid the former.
No, I wasn't offended by you at all. In fact the day that everyone on here stops fooling around with funny remarks about vaping related sensibilities will be the day that I'll leave, as this is still only a hobby to me... it's supposed to be fun, and, here's a couple old ones:

How do you know if someone uses TC?
Because they'll tell you about it.

Why are the best regulated mods made by Wismec?
Because if you put the mod in TC mode by accident it'll immediately auto-correct that mistake.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good to know to avoid Mismec mods. :giggle:
:cheers:
Yeah, I actually never truly recommend them to anyone who uses TC. That's because I know for a fact that ArcticFox or Red Panda on a mod that can support it offers noticeably better TC than a mod with a Yihi chip despite the latter choice of mod tends to be typically more expensive─yet not more durable mainly for the fact that the most heard complaint from the anti-Wismec police is exactly that which is still piss easy to repair anyway in the first place─but I also know for a fact that most TC users are way too stubborn to listen to that advice, and, also it's because I tremendously enjoy schadenfreude. Not gonna lie about it... above anything, schadenfreude is why I'm still here. ?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors