Become a Patron!

New to Rebuildable MTL,need suggestions

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
Hello guys, I have been using my kennedy 22mm and oumier wasp for a long time with 3mg nic eliquids but for how i feel like vaping now they require quite big coils and huge clouds and i really want to try something less powerfull.. I also have a geekvape griffin 22mm but i find it to have too much air flow and also the eliquids i vape are sugary and with high VG so the liquid becomes disgusting and the cottons aswell. I can barely vape one tank before having to take it apart and change all the cotton and wash it...
I was wondering what kind of good MTL options i have with tank or even without, I am quite used drippin.
Keep in mind i might be upping my nic to 6mg or try out the salts, i am not sure about the differences
thank you

Last edited:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
If you're looking for rebuidables, put that in your title for more attention. There are a lot of great, veteran MTL people here that could help you.

Creature0069

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
MTL RDA, Vandy Vape Berserker v2 is my daily morning RDA. Comes with a few different airflow inserts to adjust to your taste. You can also swap them with a build in the RDA so that's a bonus. I run a .7Ω tri-core fused clapton in mine with 18mg juice. It's a 22mm so will fit your Kennedy.

For an MTL RTA, Dvarw, Pioneer and Kayfuns are the current hotness. I can't speak for any of them as I don't have them, yet. I have a few Dvarw's on the way though.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Have heard very, very few complaints about the Berserker. Mine is the original Mini version. However, there's a lot of very good vape territory between big coils and 3mg juice and the MTL world.

Are you interested at all in restricted DL? Single coil RTA running at maybe 30 to 35 watts?

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
i actually have a vaporesso regulated mod aswell... so i would use that for MTL.
I am not sure what DL stands for. What i am looking for is cooler vapour,less clouds and higher nicotine...

I have been looking at the Berkserker 2 tank reviews and it seems pretty good no? Any other tank and RDA you can suggest me?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I haven't MTL since I first started vaping. With that in mind, this new to the market in the $30 price range is getting great reviews.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Another new rta. Vic really likes it [25:50]

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
i actually have a vaporesso regulated mod aswell... so i would use that for MTL.
I am not sure what DL stands for. What i am looking for is cooler vapour,less clouds and higher nicotine...

I have been looking at the Berkserker 2 tank reviews and it seems pretty good no? Any other tank and RDA you can suggest me?

RDL is "restricted direct lung" and is a way of vaping that's between MTL and the higher-wattage direct lung vaping you've been doing.

The only other recommendation I can make for an MTL tank is the Kayfun 2019. I don't have one myself, but there's a veritable fan club of people who use them here on the forum.

An example of an RDL setup, one that I use myself, is an Aromamizer Lite using a 26 gauge round wire stainless coil at 2.5mm, I want to say it's about 7 or 8 wraps, resistance is 0.77 ohms, and I run that on a Vaporesso Armour Pro at 33.5 watts. I use 6mg e-liquid (I mix all of mine myself) and usually vape about 5 ml of liquid a day.

The reason I suggested RDL to you is that it's kind of a middle-of-the-road sort of vaping. Has good flavor, good throat hit, a little warmth but the vapor is not hot, and is conservative in battery life and e-liquid usage. I can't imagine that if you go all the way from vaping big, heavy alien coils all the way to MTL, you won't be dissatisfied with the vape. It's just going to seem so anemic to you, at least imo.

Just some suggestions, something for you to think about.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you are going to try the salts then you would want a very low wattage build in your atomizer.

You may even want to go with a pod device.

If you decide that a pod device is right for you some of them offer RBA coil heads (Rebuildable) along with regular coils.
That would be what I would suggest getting since you won't need to keep buying coils.

I know the Smoant Pasito has a RBA coil head option because I have a pair of them
There are other pod devices that have come to market so you may want to get some more opinions before choosing the right one for you.

You could always go down the pre made coil path but that seems like a step backward for you.
Not only that coils are going to get harder and harder to find with the regulations kicking in on Sept 9th.

Pod devices are going to be getting harder and harder to find as well.
If you decide to get something you would want to get as many accessories with it now while you still can.
Coils, extra pods, etc...

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have two Pioneers, a Pandora, a Gata, a Kayfun Lite, Kayfun V3, Dvarw 16 and a Precisio that I use for MTL. Among those the Dvarw 16 and Kayfun Lite are probably best but the Precisio is close - I am about to rebuild my Siren 2 - I've been lazy and ran out of wire. It has been on the shelf for about a month but it ranks up there with the best.
There are a slew of decent relatively cheap MTL RTAs as well that I reviewed and passed on. The Wotofo Cog is decent, Augvape makes a few decent ones, and the Purity is darn good too.
As for pods - well almost any pod comes with an RBA these days. Some more expensive than others. My favoprite is the Dotshell in the DotAio but that costs a bit. Oxva is good, the Aegis boost has two options, Mechlyfe Ratel is not shabby, Pasito is okay and on and on. Very few refillable, coil replacement pods are made without this option. Most have it.
Personally I would buy wire, get a few mods and stick with RTAs but to each their own.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am relatively new to low power mtl setups, but do have some experience at this point.

A lot will depend on how much money you want to spend. Any mod will work, but you are most assuredly never going to get a tight low power vape worth using out of a Kennedy rda or a Griffin rta. As has been said. They're just not designed for that.

Many great recommendations have been made.

The Pioneer is excellent and kinda mid range on price (50 -60 bucks bn). High quality, vapes great and you can dial that right down to an almost cigarette filter type draw.

On the higher end (80-100 bucks). The Kayfun [Lite] 2019 is awesome. Has it's quirks like any atomizer, but superb flavor and vape quality. Almost universally recognized as one of the best mtl lines of all time.

On the HIGH end, which I don't have, are the Dvarws. (120-60 or so) i can only take other people's word on those, but they are supposed to be worth the price if you can afford them.

There are also numerous mainstream mtl rtas now that folks are saying are really good too. You have to be careful though, because what is sometimes called mtl isn't really all that tight. More like rdtl.

Always check around before spending your money.

The bottom lines is you need a tank that's designed for mtl. The advantages are, low juice consumption, long battery life, cotton lasts longer and they are also a lot stealthier.

Somebody talked about pods. Or pod type aio things that are everywhere now too. I have several of those and regardless of what anybody tells me, Smok actually does those pretty well and you can snag one of their many models on sale for well under 20 bucks with a few bucks more for extra pods and an rba. Which their rbas are not to be despised imho. Very good indeed.

Of course there are also dozens of other companies selling their versions as well. Some of them also excellent.

Personally I have every kind of setup known to man. From a little Infinix stick to hybrid series tubes that will light up your life, and everything in between.

You may also find that you like several different styles depending on your mood and present circumstances.

Last edited:

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Hellvape MD is a well regarded MTL RTA. Made some 'best of' rankings for 2019 and can be had relatively cheaply now. i have one because it was reviewed well for ease of use but haven't used it yet so can't offer first-hand info on that.

For pod mods, the SMOK RPMs & Wismec R80/R40 have RBAs available. i'm no maven about them but the R80 one & the SMOK RGC one have more room to work with than a number of other RBAs i've seen.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I ended up ordering the pandora MTL.. I wonder if i should use salts with it or just regular nic.
Probably your preference. Do you know what nic strength it would be?

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
jsut wanted to update you. I bought the pandora mtl and i am loving it... all the way closed airflow and 20-12 mg nicotine salts are super with it... loving it alot!

What i am not so sure about is what % PG VG i should vape in it... can i go with 30pg 70% VG? or will it burn my cotton

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
jsut wanted to update you. I bought the pandora mtl and i am loving it... all the way closed airflow and 20-12 mg nicotine salts are super with it... loving it alot!

What i am not so sure about is what % PG VG i should vape in it... can i go with 30pg 70% VG? or will it burn my cotton
I don't own it. Do any YT reviewers say what they are using?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
This guy usually goes in depth on wicking. Have a listen to see what he says or members with that tank im sure will chime in. On a side note, 30/70 is pretty standard so stands to reason it should work well...but check it out.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I think a thinner e-liquid generally works better with MTL tanks. I always ran 50/50 when I was vaping MTL. I do not have that particular tank, though, so don't take this as an absolute. It's just a general recommendation.

If you try 30/70 and have burnt cotton or dry hits, then you'll know you need a thinner liquid.

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
yes problem for high PG juices for me tho are that they give me diarrhea... i have tried several times in the years... but anything more than 50/50 is waterpoo

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sorry, I always try to write ratios as pg/vg, so when I said 30/70, I meant 30pg/70vg, so thicker than 50/50.

I mix my own at 35/65 (pg/vg) and use it in every device I have, but if you're buying pre-made juice, it's impossible to find that any more. There isn't that much difference in that and the 30/70 that can be found, so you might be ok with 30/70. Just be aware, like I said, of dry hits and/or burnt cotton. Even in an MTL tank, you should occasionally see a bubble or two where the juice is wicking into the chamber with the coil and cotton.

Invisible Rasta

Member For 5 Years
allright. i will be mixing aswell.. I have 20mg 50/50 nicotine and ill go with 30PG/70VG juice + the aromas that are mostly PG.. So i guess i will be around 35/65 aswell.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
From the video you sent me i cant understand what juice he is using. He says the name of it at minute 18.10. Anyone understands?

Creating a separate thread about the PG/VG ratio worked.
it is confirmed to that 30/70 PG/VG does work in the Pandora.

1602641469535.png

Thank you @Nailz :wave:

Wow, We can move quotes via copy/paste now!:bingo:

I only MTL only and have 100's of MTL tanks, and use 30PG/70VG in them all, some I have to thin the cotton more, but it works fine on them, including the Pandora I have ;)

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup to this. I mtl a whole lot, with a lot of different set ups. I find you can use just about any pg/vg ratio with them (have not tried less than 20% either way), just have to find the right way to wick that particular rta/rda with that particular juice. Cotton's cheap, find the way you want to vape it exactly, then adjust the wicking accordingly, jmo

VU Sponsors