Become a Patron!

New to Rebuildables

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. But I have a few questions.

I've been vaping for awhile now and I just starting using a Kayfun 3.1. I'm still learning and figuring out how to make the best coils, how much cotton to use, what cotton to use, what I want my ohms at, and so on a so forth. I was hoping I could get some insight because I'm still running into problems.

I'm vaping off a MVP iTaste and using 28 gauge kanthal wire, using a 5/64 drill bit to wrap the coil on. The builds I've made so far seem to burn out so fast, like within a few hours. I'm using organic cotton. I can't put a finger on what I'm doing wrong here. I've watched countless videos, played with my settings and so on.

Basically what'll happen is I'll get a build done and everything will working great and will taste just awesome. Then about 1-2 hours later it will just taste burnt and just down right nasty. Like I said, I can't really figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You've left out a few handy details, big... so I'll try and cover the possibles, based on the info you've provided.

Probably not the case, but you make it sound a bit like you're "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". You may need to replace wick and do a light dry burn regularly... but unless the coil is a disaster to begin with, or worn out (alumina content has degraded), a well built coil, wrapped using genuine 28 gauge Kanthal A1 wire, can literally last for months, in a Kayfun. (I say "genuine" because some of the Chinese, unlicensed "Chi-thal" wire exhibits poor quality and performance in vaping applications)

Assuming you're around 1.2Ω+ for resistance... perhaps the most common fail with Kayfun/Russian type attys is a wick, too tightly rolled (density) or too tight a fit in the coil. If you're using "unrolled" ball cotton, a pre-rolled piece about 1/8" X 5/16", with a fit length of about 1" long is all you need. When in doubt, less is better than more. Too dense/tight = dry hits ~ too loose = gurgling/flooding.

Dark (high solids content), thick (high VG) & sweet juices can form a insulative caramelized layer on the coil.... reducing it's effectiveness, and often requires daily dry burning and rewicking.

High VG juices don't flow all that well in KFs. If the AFC is open too far, air draw (negative pressure) distribution to the tank will be reduced, worsening the condition. The occasional "covered inlet" unfired draw will aid in transfering juice to the atomization chamber.

Much of the above will be exacerbated by under-powering the coil - to put it another way, too low a resistance for the available current. Resistance a little below the potential resistance/current parity capabilities of the PV (1.2Ω/3 amps for the MVP2) may result in a slower heat dwell time and peak temperature... and weak vapor production.

Thank you for the info! I just checked and it's running at .9 ohms. I watched some more videos last night and I get the impression that the sweet spot for this tank is 1.3 - 1.5. I know it's all user preference but when the guy set it up for me at the shop the first time it was awesome. I know it's just a learning curve and what not.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I run my wife's kayfun at 1.1 to 1.2 ohms on a provari. Much below that it doesn't perform well and below 0.9 it wont fire at all.

Like state o flux said... wicks not too tight and not too loose... after a while you figure out how much is the right amount.

Check your wife/girlfried's makeup supplies for pads of Japanese Cotton (JC)... Shiseido or whatever... grab a couple while she's not looking.

I find it wicks better, tastes better and lasts longer than cotton balls. CelluCotton rayon lasts even longer than JC and has better flavor... IMO.

Hey guys, I think I've found my problem.

I think it's been the way that I've been wicking it. I've been doing to where it kind of looks like biceps wrapping around the well. After watching some videos I've found that I should have been angling it more toward the channels. I'm gonna try this and post my results.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like too much wick in the coils, so it isn't feeding right.

You should be able to move the wick in the coils easily while having contact. The wicking will swell when it's wet, so it needs to be looser when dry.

Here's a Cellocotton example on an RDA:

964Cf7Ul.jpg

If you need "fluffy" ends to cover channels or such, just take your screwdriver or a toothpick and fluff 'em. :)

VU Sponsors