Become a Patron!

New to vaping and have a question?

Alright so i quit smoking tonight and start vaping in the morning. Read alot of posts where people are starting with 18mg and 24mg nic. The store i went to sold me a eleaf iJust2 and Natur Sweet Tobacco 6mg juice. If im goong from smoking 1 to 1 1/2 packs of marboro reds 100s will this set up be good?
Also I have tried vaping and cnt seem to inhale anything but a baby ass hit without coughing. Do i just have to get used to it or am i doing something wrong? Appreciate any help thanks

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello There and Welcome to the vast world of vaping! There are so many different setups and different devices, it can get very confusing. The first question I need to ask.............Are you vaping Mouth to lung (putting the vapor in your mouth first and then inhaling) or Direct Lung hitting (breathing the vapor directly into your lungs)?? By the way, the coughing is normal for everyone just starting out, it will go away in just a couple days if you stick with it (and you are not burning your coil too hot).

CV

P.S. If you are Mouth to Lung hitting, the person who sold you that juice is an idiot because 6mg really ain't enough for a new quitter. However, if you are direct lung hitting, 6mg should suffice.

I am mouth to lung hitting. The 6mg will have to do for this week cuz i am out of town and no vape shopes where I am at. Maybe 3 or 4 cigs a day while vaping is what ill do then till i get back home and can get a diff juice.

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It took me a couple days and going from 6mg to 3 mg of nic. I also cut down my power that helped quite a bit too.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU, and vaping.
The strategy of what was sold to you is based on the ohms of the coils being used.
I usually do mouth to lung with 1.5 ohm coils and 12-18mg juice. If I treat myself to some direct lung cloud chasing with .5 ohm coils, I have to cut the juice to ~3-6mg, because of the added vapor volume puts more nic into your system. When I originally started years ago, I was using 36mg, because the vapor volume produced wasn't near what it is today.
Let your body tell you if it's satisfied, and not what you read, because what gear was used is also part of the equation.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got one of the I just 2s and it's a pretty sweet little setup. Imo the tank is not great for mouth to Ling but if you choke down the airflow with the little green band it would help you mouth to lung much easier.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello & welcome to VU.:wave:
I am from the UK & on a pack of cigs it tells you how much nic is in the pack. I don't know if this is the same for you? Online it stated that a pack of Malborough reds = 24mg of nic. You smoke 11/2 packs=36mg of nic a day. So you would have to vape 6mls of your e liquid to to satisfy your nic requirements (36÷6=6).
-Is this the right set up? Well it is not the most cost efficient way. Also it may not aid compliance.
-If you were sold the Istick just2 kit. Then this comes with sub ohm coils (it should state the ohms of the coils in the user guide & on the coils) thus you are unlikely to tolerate greater then 6mg/ml of e liquid (which is what you have).
- If you can get above ohm coils for your set up like a 1.5 then you can increase you e liquid nic strengh. But your max amount of nic will still be 36mg of nic a day.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with 18mg but with the current gear available these day I wouldn't have been able to.
If a new vaper asked me what to start with I would say try 12, if you can handle it good, if not try 9 if you can find it and if not 6.

If 6 makes you cough, higher nic will make you cough even more.
To prevent coughing I would lower the wattage and close the AFC more.

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Like what most have said, bump up your nic and just take smaller hits until you get used to the vape. I was smoking 2 PAD when I first started vaping and started with 18mg, but I was mouth to lung then. I cut down to 12mg until I started subohming and now I'm at 3mg direct lung hits. Your inhale will vary with the style of inhale. Just go slow at first until you get used to it and you'll figure it out after a while.

One word of advice. Don't always take the word of a vape shop owner. Some know what they are doing and some will just see dollar signs when new vaper walks in and asks what they need to start out. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember what I tell my students, the dumb question is the one you don't ask and you really, really need the answer to!

Good luck on your vaping journey. You've come to the right place for help and info!

I'm still pretty new to vaping (71 days smoke free!) and I started with 12 mg on a starter vape. After a week I got a new sub ohm vape (e leaf pico) and I was able to drop to 3 mg. I think your set up has a lot to do with how many mgs you need. Some of the vape shops near me will exchange your juice if the nic is too high or low. Maybe a shop near you has a similar option?

VU Sponsors