Become a Patron!

newb ?s about vv/vw

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i am expecting a cloupor mini to arrive today, but have some questions. and they are likely very newbish. here goes...

if i want to reduce the output of the atomizer, or "keep it cooler", do i reduce voltage? wattage? both?

are there any "rules of thumb" to know when working with a vv/vw device?

sorry i know this sounds dumb, but ive never messed with anything but mechs.

thanks!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, well since you're familiar with mechs, you'll know that volts are a measure of a battery's power output, while watts are a measure of how much power you're actually receiving at the coils. On a mech, your wattage fades as the battery does, but with your new regulated device, you'll be able to keep the power delivery constant throughout.

Since watts are more easily fine tuned, I'd suggest working with that as your adjustment, as this is what most newer devices tend to focus on. With volts, you'd have to determine your desired wattage and then calculate the required voltage to get there using your current atty's resistance. Wattage mods do all the math for you.

Lower watts/volts (you won't adjust them both at once) = less power = cooler vape.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, well since you're familiar with mechs, you'll know that volts are a measure of a battery's power output, while watts are a measure of how much power you're actually receiving at the coils. On a mech, your wattage fades as the battery does, but with your new regulated device, you'll be able to keep the power delivery constant throughout.

Since watts are more easily fine tuned, I'd suggest working with that as your adjustment, as this is what most newer devices tend to focus on. With volts, you'd have to determine your desired wattage and then calculate the required voltage to get there using your current atty's resistance. Wattage mods do all the math for you.

Lower watts/volts (you won't adjust them both at once) = less power = cooler vape.

good stuff! making sense now.

so i put my atty on the mini and set it to the min of 7 watts and it fired the coil red hot damn quickly (dry fire). BUT this coil is much lower resistance than i normally use so a new coil may be in order.

id like to take a 1-1.5ohm coil and delay its ramp time a bit compared to how fast the mech would fire it. since the wattage set at 7 was similar to how my mech fired the same coil... dont i want to adjust the voltage to anlower setting to get lower wattage to the coil?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm...you could try that. Odd that you're getting so much power at 7 watts, though I've heard some mods (the Cloupors particularly, if I recall correctly) having issues "bucking down" the wattage, or delivering significantly less power than a freshly-charged battery wants to give.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Perhaps you could spend some time getting to know your mod and messing with different coils later?
And like it has already been said, just button up your tank, set to VW, start low and increase until you find the best flavor and vapor for you without looking at the coils/

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks everyone. my problem is that even on the lowest watt setting... it still fires the coil the same as my unregulated mechs do.

so i guess a TC device is my only option to keep things cooled down eh?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well it should be able to fire softer than a fully charged mech as it's output voltage range is listed by Cloupor to be : 3.6V—7.0V. By lowering the wattage you are in fact lowering the voltage. VW adjusts voltage in relation to the resistance to maintain a wattage output where VV simply holds the voltage wherever you set it. (Provided it's in that 3.6v to 7v range and that the chip actually meets it's specs.)

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i think i just need to build a higher resistance coil to get the wattage near where i want it. i have a .78 ohm coil im firing with the vv setting at 3.6v. when i fire i see that the wattage is at 17.something watts. so its the coil resistance that needs to increase to get the wattage lower right?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correct - if it's hitting that coil at minimum power (3.6), there's no way to turn the watts down as low as you want to go...

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, you'd need a coil resistance of 1.86 ohms for it to be able to produce 7 watts. Your 1.5 ohm coil would get you down to 8.64 watts etc..

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
With a vv/vw device you run in either vv mode or vw mode.
I don't have a clouper so I have no clue how they work. In MOST vv/vw mods the last variable adjusted is the mode it runs in.

So if you set it to 12w then adjust it to 5v; you'll be running in vv mode and vice versa.

By the nature of the beast voltage determinds wattage and wattage determines voltage so a mod that offers both is simply giving you the option

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
looks like the new YiHi SX350J mini chip is the chip/device for me.

i would like to build a coil within the chips operating range, set the desired coil temp, and be done.

wouldnt that then fire like normal (depending on coil resistance) but keep the coil at the temp (or very near) i set it at?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes but you'll adjust joules as opposed to watts.
Check out on of the sxmini threads for more info on that.
It's a temp limiting device... Meaning if you set it at say 500 degrees it'll throttle back the power as it reaches 500 degrees and not let it go over. On the DNA40 that gave me a longer run time. I haven't had the sxmini long enough to use similar setting in both modes to know for sure. But the sxmini for the same or less than most dn40 devices is much better option in my opinion

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They use a poor choice of words when they call it temp control... it's temperature limiting... It limits the max temp that it can reach to what you set it at.. it doesn't mean it keeps the coil at that temp

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you rdsok! The idea that its a thermostat kind of bugs me. I'm not a fan of how people lead new vapors to think its something its not.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It limits the max temp that it can reach to what you set it at.. it doesn't mean it keeps the coil at that temp

"it limits the max temp that IT can reach"... if they dont mean the coil then what is "IT"?

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jeez....

The device/chip.... limits the coil temp to no more than what it is set for... as f1r3b1rd analogy... it isn't a thermostat and none of them are... they are temp limiting

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Think of it like a governor on a car.
When I drove a rig, the governor would not let me exceed 90mph.
I could go as fast as I wanted but when I hit 90, I would stop accelerating. Everything behaves as normal until I approached that cap.

The temp mode or joules mode, regulates the hear of the coil

I have mine set at 500 degrees.
And 45j... As my coil is heating it behaves as normal, as it reaches 500degrees the chip backs the power down and will.not allow me to exceed 500 degrees.

This does two things, it avoids theremal changes from heat breakdown in the liquid and it gives a smoother vape(to me)

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jeez....

The device/chip.... limits the coil temp to no more than what it is set for... as f1r3b1rd analogy... it isn't a thermostat and none of them are... they are temp limiting

jeez...? sorry for putting you out

so it will limit the temp of the coil by not allowing it to go over the temp i set it at right?

so for instance... i set the temp at X temp. i fire the device. it then gets up to X temp and adjusts the power output to keep the coil around that set temp...? is that right?

so when you say it doesnt keep it at that temp... that is confusing. if it limits the temp when desired temp is reached... does it do so the entire time you are firing it? wouldnt that mean that its keeping the temp at temp X?

my apologies for not understanding your posts. maybe im a moron, but your posts sound to me like you are saying it does and doesnt so the same thing.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think of it like a governor on a car.
When I drove a rig, the governor would not let me exceed 90mph.
I could go as fast as I wanted but when I hit 90, I would stop accelerating. Everything behaves as normal until I approached that cap.

The temp mode or joules mode, regulates the hear of the coil

I have mine set at 500 degrees.
And 45j... As my coil is heating it behaves as normal, as it reaches 500degrees the chip backs the power down and will.not allow me to exceed 500 degrees.

This does two things, it avoids theremal changes from heat breakdown in the liquid and it gives a smoother vape(to me)

lol this is funny

the whole "it limits temp, but doesnt keep the coil at that temp" is what is fucking me up here.

isnt limiting it after it reaches the set temp the same as keeping it at that temp?

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The last analogy I'll attempt...

Perhaps think of it like you would a speed limit on the road.... but with temperature instead.

So if the speed limit is 75mph... there isn't anything that says you must drive 75mph... you could drive just 55mph if you wanted but you can't exceed the 75mph.

So if you set the temp limit on the coil to be 420° and the joule or wattage setting ( depending on the device, some are wattage types and some are joules ) is set to 20 or 30 or 40... that is the amount of power that will be used as long as it doesn't end up going over the 420° temp. It doesn't have to keep it at that temp, it just has to keep it from exceeding that temp.

Why a limit? .... To keep things from burning ( like a cotton wick ) or to keep potentially harmful chemicals from being made like when certain liquids exceed a certain temperature and break down into other chemicals.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as long as i can set a max temp and know that my coil will never go over that limit... that is all i care about. if it dips below i dont care.

thank you everyone!

VU Sponsors