Become a Patron!

Newbie help - Ohms reading - is my vape safe?

I bought some new coils from here :- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077YH943F/

and i have just put the dual fused claptons 0.3ohms into my smok alien 220w mod on a zeus X rta.

On the vape my ohms is reading, 0.123 ohms. The fused claptons seem to take a while to heat up.

Are these readings normal, and is my vape safe to use?

Here's a photo i took on my mod:

95482045_708090449976443_3675315016833171456_n.jpg

I have just taken my tank off and put it back on and now i'm getting these results.

Attachments

• 95141534_171741144078856_1526522971470954496_n.jpg
    95141534_171741144078856_1526522971470954496_n.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 13

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you put two 0.3 ohm coils in, your resistance should be around 0.15 ohms, but that reading is almost never exactly on the spot.

I can't read the numbers on your second picture, but if resistance is fluctuating, make sure you have the leads of both coils tight, and that nothing is touching the cap, and no stray pieces of metal are floating around inside there anywhere.

I'm a little nervous about those coils - the seller isn't very straightforward as to what metal they are made of. Sounds like kanthal, but with aluminum in the mix, I'm just not sure.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Between my old eyes and screen resolution i cant tell if those coils are touching. Make sure they are NOT touching and your post screws are good and tight.

What metal are you using?
SS, ni80 or kanthal?

If you put two 0.3 ohm coils in, your resistance should be around 0.15 ohms, but that reading is almost never exactly on the spot.

I can't read the numbers on your second picture, but if resistance is fluctuating, make sure you have the leads of both coils tight, and that nothing is touching the cap, and no stray pieces of metal are floating around inside there anywhere.

I'm a little nervous about those coils - the seller isn't very straightforward as to what metal they are made of. Sounds like kanthal, but with aluminum in the mix, I'm just not sure.

Sounds like my readings are correct then? That's a good sign.

I cut off the ends when i installed them into the build and washed off the excess pieces of metal.

Last edited:
Between my old eyes and screen resolution i cant tell if those coils are touching. Make sure they are NOT touching and your post screws are good and tight.

What metal are you using?
SS, ni80 or kanthal?
Nope. I made sure the coils weren't touching. I moved them a part with a screw driver and aligned them. I didn't want to over tighten them but the screws are pretty tight.

I'm not sure what metal they are. I bought them here. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077YH943F

The description says "Made of iron/chrome aluminum alloy".

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, looks safe to me. I would rock it.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The description gives Iron/Chrome Aluminum which is FeCrAl or Kanthal basically.

Kanthal does have aluminum in it, 4-8% I think it is.. might be 7%.... ok google says 7.5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
and now your most useful answer.... You are using a regulated mod. It WILL NOT FIRE an unsafe coil or to low resistance. We don't actually ever say anything is safe, but rather we say it is within acceptable risk limits.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Uh huh. Put a 0.30 coil into a Gorge yesterday evening. It read out at 0.34, fires up to 0.40. This to me seems just a wee bit out of line but it's still within a certain range.

So .15..and some coils do fluctuate that way.

Yes they do. Sometimes enough to make you scratch your noggin. *chuckles* "What did I do? What did I think?" :)

The description says "Made of iron/chrome aluminum alloy".

The description gives Iron/Chrome Aluminum which is FeCrAl or Kanthal basically.

Yep, yep, yep.

You are using a regulated mod. It WILL NOT FIRE an unsafe coil or to low resistance. We don't actually ever say anything is safe, but rather we say it is within acceptable risk limits.

Yes. A lot of regulated devices won't allow you to go below roughly 0.20 ohms with a coil. This seems to be an industry standard of "too risky". You can still do it but you need to use a mechanical device, and hopefully have some knowledge of what you're doing. Remember to sign all waivers too. :)

Apologies I'm late chiming in. Been a bit scattered with various stuff, life can do that. :)

VU Sponsors