Become a Patron!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
well as i own a lot of vapes, i thought i would try squonking. i just bought a athena squonk by geek vape. have i picked a load of crap?

JayFiST

Member For 4 Years
well as i own a lot of vapes, i thought i would try squonking. i just bought a athena squonk by geek vape. have i picked a load of crap?
I had the geekvape Gbox and it was a piece of rubbish. Was my first squonk mod but was really badly designed and bad build quality. Especially having to remove your batteries AND the bottle every time you want to fill it up with eliquid.

On my 2nd topside dual 18650 squonk mod now and it's great, the one I'm using now is the newer one with the revised battery door.

I will never go back to using tanks with those bullshit premade coils and the leaking and having to fill It up over and over.. such a joke IMO.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't think the Athena is a piece of junk. I had one for a long time and loved it. The mistakes I made were apparently (1) not keeping the contacts clean enough, and (2) not turning the power off when the mod was not in use. After several years' use, the mod began to drain and kill the batteries I put in it. @MyMagicMist was the one who discovered how badly the contacts could gunk up and advised me of that after I'd already tossed my mod in a fit of disgust.

I think if you are conscientious with it, you'll have a great squonker that will be very nearly impossible to kill (it's entirely mechanical, no electronics, not even any wiring inside) and it will last you for years and years.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
discovered how badly the contacts could gunk up

Yes. The contacts are silver, or silver coated. They need cleaned on a more regular basis than brass, copper contacts. Also suggest if leaving such a mod set for more than a few days remove the batteries.

Silver making contact will oxidize fairly quicker than brass or copper. This leads to "gunk" building up. Dirty contacts will indeed drain out "kill" batteries quick. Removing the batteries for a silver contact mod if set aside helps avoid rapid oxidation.

Agree with @nadalama though if kept, a Geekvape Athena mod clean, maintained it ought to last quite a while. And yes it's fairly durable, not easily killed mod. Besides which it's reasonably affordable, a bit stylish.

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes. The contacts are silver, or silver coated. They need cleaned on a more regular basis than brass, copper contacts. Also suggest if leaving such a mod, set for more than a few days remove the batteries.

Silver making contact will oxidize fairly quicker than brass or copper. This leads to "gunk" building up. Dirty contacts will indeed drain out "kill" batteries quick.

Agree with @nadalama though if kept, a Geekvape Athena mod clean, maintained it ought to last quite a while. And yes it's fairly durable, not easily killed mod. Besides being reasonably affordable, a bit stylish.
pure silver oxidisation is just as conductive as silver

but make it an alloy, like sterling silver, and the oxidisation impedes performance

but pur or 99.99% silver are very very soft. So most modders use sterling to provide contact with some spring back and firmness

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
pure silver oxidisation is just as conductive as silver

but make it an alloy, like sterling silver, and the oxidisation impedes performance

but pur or 99.99% silver are very very soft. So most modders use sterling to provide contact with some spring back and firmness

So not fully the fault of the silver itself, then. Alright. Moonlight and water gets reflections, moonlight is just light.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I don't think the Athena is a piece of junk. I had one for a long time and loved it. The mistakes I made were apparently (1) not keeping the contacts clean enough, and (2) not turning the power off when the mod was not in use. After several years' use, the mod began to drain and kill the batteries I put in it. @MyMagicMist was the one who discovered how badly the contacts could gunk up and advised me of that after I'd already tossed my mod in a fit of disgust.

I think if you are conscientious with it, you'll have a great squonker that will be very nearly impossible to kill (it's entirely mechanical, no electronics, not even any wiring inside) and it will last you for years and years.
as usual, thank you, as i leave a white rose and back away bowing,

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i aalso bought a vandy pulseb. i must admit though the more i read the less i think i will like it. but i shall try this wonderful squonking lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i aalso bought a vandy pulseb. i must admit though the more i read the less i think i will like it. but i shall try this wonderful squonking lol

If you like dripping but not having to carry a bottle of juice around, you might like squonking. Your mod will "carry" your bottle of juice and insert a tube of some kind in it. A tube lets you squeeze the bottle to send juice up into the RDA/RSA/RDTA. You're dripping from the bottom instead of top.

Here's a handy diagram.

the-anatomy-of-a-squonk-kit-800x533.png

We can use any style of atomizer on a squonk mod. You just replace a standard 510 pin screw in it with a capillary 510 pin screw. That lets the atomizer get juice inserted into it from the feed tube.

Here's a review of a very cheaply made squonker. It was one I first used getting into squonking. These squonkers are quite *ahem* trash. They use wire for connecting the contacts. Still they served a purpose of introducing a person to squonking.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I prefer this setup. Bottle and batteries stay inside and you fill it from the cap..
3ede5395d3493893a0e7ca4ad53bf895.jpg

Got a Topside Lite myself. They are indeed nice. Prefer mechanical though, or even MOSFET. Too much electronics for me always seems to go awry. You can also get bottles or caps which allow a person to fill via the 510 connection.

Like the fact I can get 6-10ml squonk bottles for in the mods. I'm usually vaping 3-6ml per day so that extra is handy.

JayFiST

Member For 4 Years
Got a Topside Lite myself. They are indeed nice. Prefer mechanical though, or even MOSFET. Too much electronics for me always seems to go awry. You can also get bottles or caps which allow a person to fill via the 510 connection.

Like the fact I can get 6-10ml squonk bottles for in the mods. I'm usually vaping 3-6ml per day so that extra is handy.
I'm a cloud chucker so I go through heaps.. I have to fill my 10ml squonk bottle like 4 - 6 times a day..

I have always wanted an mechanical squonk but they are hard to find in dual 18650 form or has that changed now??

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm cloud chucker so I go through heaps.. I have to fill my 10ml squonk bottle like 4 - 6 times a day..

I have always wanted an mechanical squonk but they are hard to find in dual 18650 form or has that changed now??

There's a couple. Here's one that's a bit pricy. If you want one less expensive but in the Topside style. Just a cursory search can find some.

Got one here I paid over $100 for. It sits off to itself in a box. I'm not keen on dual battery squonkers. Everybody likes what they like. I'm just glad more seem to be coming the squonky side. :)

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
If you like dripping but not having to carry a bottle of juice around, you might like squonking. Your mod will "carry" your bottle of juice and insert a tube of some kind in it. A tube lets you squeeze the bottle to send juice up into the RDA/RSA/RDTA. You're dripping from the bottom instead of top.

Here's a handy diagram.

We can use any style of atomizer on a squonk mod. You just replace a standard 510 pin screw in it with a capillary 510 pin screw. That lets the atomizer get juice inserted into it from the feed tube.

Here's a review of a very cheaply made squonker. It was one I first used getting into squonking. These squonkers are quite *ahem* trash. They use wire for connecting the contacts. Still they served a purpose of introducing a person to squonking.
thats what i got it holds 9mm juice

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
thats what i got it holds 9mm juice

Something to keep in mind here. If a squonk mod says its bottle holds say 10 ml for example. Figure it only holds 9.5 ml. You can use that as a rule of thumb. Deduct about .5 ml from any squonk bottle. That allows you space for a feed tube, without wasting excess juice due to displacement/spillage.

So a bottle marked as holding 10 ml I only fill with 9.5 ml. One marked as 6 gets 5.5 ml from me. Squonking may even offer a work around for the TPD. Although it may be squonks get confiscated due to it.

Know the TPD only allows for a 2 ml tank of juice with any device. It also limits Europe vapers to buying only 10 ml bottles of juice. I think though as one commenters in the first article I linked put it, "no one is going care".

Kind of like our "pirates go home" warnings on movies over here. *chuckles* We're in America, a country founded by pirates, erm weary immigrants from all over the world. We are home.

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
jb
Something to keep in mind here. If a squonk mod says its bottle holds say 10 ml for example. Figure it only holds 9.5 ml. You can use that as a rule of thumb. Deduct about .5 ml from any squonk bottle. That allows you space for a feed tube, without wasting excess juice due to displacement/spillage.

So a bottle marked as holding 10 ml I only fill with 9.5 ml. One marked as 6 gets 5.5 ml from me. Squonking may even offer a work around for the TPD. Although it may be squonks get confiscated due to it.

Know the TPD only allows for a 2 ml tank of juice with any device. It also limits Europe vapers to buying only 10 ml bottles of juice. I think though as one commenters in the first article I linked put it, "no one is going care".

Kind of like our "pirates go home" warnings on movies over here. *chuckles* We're in America, a country founded by pirates, erm weary immigrants from all over the world. We are home.
thats why i said mine held 9 mls when they say it holds more. the other thing i dont like is the bottle is a dark colour, its hard to see the juice level.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

Here's a handy diagram.

i will be trying one of the two i bought the other day, your right they introduce a person to squonking but these cheapies look exactly that...cheap boring square objects..they are not for displaying lol

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i dont like is the bottle is a dark colour, its hard to see the juice level.

Well there's always clear bottles. Would have said they're cheap as well. Anymore seems everything costs a left testicle, or first born.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Well there's always clear bottles. Would have said they're cheap as well. Anymore seems everything costs a left testicle, or first born.
trouble is here in tasmania there is not a shop on the entire island where you can buy vape spares!! you have to get everything shipped in. you cant even buy e juice concentrate

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
trouble is here in tasmania there is not a shop on the entire island where you can buy vape spares!! you have to get everything shipped in. you cant even buy e juice concentrate
Getting rough this way as well. Not sure you saw the new nicotine taxing we face. They've also started restricting shipping & post of vape stuff for us.

We got work arounds though. Getting something from down Oz way. It's being shipped called a battery tester. *grin* Well, it does test batteries while I vape on it.

Also figure there's folks doing "care" packs from time to time. Not making light of your situation. Am keenly aware of, am just trying to offer you some alternate means to consider.

Trying to suess out money here as well, like everyone else. I haven't done work for a month now. Not been "needed". Had to "ground" my wife buying clothes for a month.

She can afford it on her check. Still we're trying to scrimp back for a home. Bad enough the situation here requires we get take away all the time to eat.

Keeping bills paid but that's pretty much just it. Yes, I do spend a little for vaping stuff. Not anywhere near what some do though. This last year I spent what I think is far too much and that may have been about $500. Hell I only spent half that five years prior.

Me & wife are careful with our money. Living is just seeing it go. Everybody knows how it is. Get a raise at work the cost of living triples.

In short, "stand fast, mate, hold your fire." Somebody bound to help you out soon as able. Not bureaucracy gumming us up, just the living running us all behind.

Apologies not responded sooner. I was a bit foggy on how to broach the subject. Had to ponder a spell.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
thats an idea. sell my left testicle then i might be able to afford a bottle of juice.

BigEmptySky

Member For 5 Years
Squonking??? Why yes, I'm a squonkaholic! Lol.

Stateside mommy gov has made it a complete cluster-F to buy vape gear or nicotine. If one is not well stocked up on nicotine, good luck! I have been very well stocked for a couple years on all fronts.

For the last year plus, I've been buying my gear directly from the manufacturers. Those are mostly in Europe, Malaysia and the Philippines. Each package is shipped from the home of one of the companies employees (so no mention of any vape company on the label). All have been shipped via DHL, UPS or FedEx. Also have friends in Europe who ship items to me.

Can't remember when I last bought something from FT, SM or the like outta China. And I sure as F don't miss the long shipping times.

BigEmptySky

Member For 5 Years
I know you are looking for a dual battery mech squonker. I'm just tossing this one out here as something that perhaps might/maybe/possibly be able to work for you. IDK.

Have a look at the dotMod dotSquonk. It is a mech and can take a 20700 battery (18650 w/adapter). I use mine with 20700's. Juice bottle claims to be 12ml, I usually put about 10mls in mine. It hits hard and is very well built. I own two.

Originally they sold for right around $100 USD. There are stores in Europe that still have them in-stock. If you look thoroughly you might even find one on sale somewhere.

Good luck with your search!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Getting rough this way as well. Not sure you saw the new nicotine taxing we face. They've also started restricting shipping & post of vape stuff for us.

We got work arounds though. Getting something from down Oz way. It's being shipped called a battery tester. *grin* Well, it does test batteries while I vape on it.

Also figure there's folks doing "care" packs from time to time. Not making light of your situation. Am keenly aware of, am just trying to offer you some alternate means to consider.

Trying to suess out money here as well, like everyone else. I haven't done work for a month now. Not been "needed". Had to "ground" my wife buying clothes for a month.

She can afford it on her check. Still we're trying to scrimp back for a home. Bad enough the situation here requires we get take away all the time to eat.

Keeping bills paid but that's pretty much just it. Yes, I do spend a little for vaping stuff. Not anywhere near what some do though. This last year I spent what I think is far too much and that may have been about $500. Hell I only spent half that five years prior.

Me & wife are careful with our money. Living is just seeing it go. Everybody knows how it is. Get a raise at work the cost of living triples.

In short, "stand fast, mate, hold your fire." Somebody bound to help you out soon as able. Not bureaucracy gumming us up, just the living running us all behind.

Apologies not responded sooner. I was a bit foggy on how to broach the subject. Had to ponder a spell.
thanks buddy, keep on vaping. no i am fine on the money side, its just a pain not being able to walk around a store.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the last year plus, I've been buying my gear directly from the manufacturers. Those are mostly in Europe, Malaysia and the Philippines. Each package is shipped from the home of one of the companies employees (so no mention of any vape company on the label). All have been shipped via DHL, UPS or FedEx. Also have friends in Europe who ship items to me.

Sly. :)

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

i tried the athena and liked it, i bought watofo and its good and lastly a pulsev2 which is a cornflake box that is now in my bottom drawer. i got through the first two days but truthfully at the minute i prefer sub ohm vaping. we will see (this will get nada to kick my butt) oh and i used a dead rabbit.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i will be trying one of the two i bought the other day, your right they introduce a person to squonking but these cheapies look exactly that...cheap boring square objects..they are not for displaying lol
you are so right, they are horrible looking things and after using the 3 i bought i am more likely to stay with sub ohm i think. i dont find it to hard to have another small bottle of juice to carry.

lak611

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer this setup. Bottle and batteries stay inside and you fill it from the cap..
3ede5395d3493893a0e7ca4ad53bf895.jpg

I have the Topside Dual as well. I don't vape at high wattage, but I like this mod because the dual 18650 always lasts all day. Most of the squonk mods only use single battery, which doesn't last long enough to avoid needing to carry around spares.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have the Topside Dual as well. I don't vape at high wattage, but I like this mod because the dual 18650 always lasts all day. Most of the squonk mods only use single battery, which doesn't last long enough to avoid needing to carry around spares.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
*chuckling* "You're vaping too much." *chuckling*

No whatever your doing you find suits you, is right. I can manage a day, or two on single battery mechanical mods. That doesn't mean everyone else needs to do so. Nor do I suggest they do. Simply stating my experience. All of it is all good really, as long as we're away from tobacco.

lak611

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*chuckling* "You're vaping too much." *chuckling*

No whatever your doing you find suits you, is right. I can manage a day, or two on single battery mechanical mods. That doesn't mean everyone else needs to do so. Nor do I suggest they do. Simply stating my experience. All of it is all good really, as long as we're away from tobacco.
That's funny, but actually I only vape around 10 ml of 3 mg juice per day. It's all about the flavour for me. I'm using dual Clapton coils at 0.3 Ω.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's funny, but actually I only vape around 10 ml of 3 mg juice per day. It's all about the flavour for me. I'm using dual Clapton coils at 0.3 Ω.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Nicotine for me. Go through about 4 ml at 6 times the strength you use. Then, I squonk so don't really pay too much attention to how much I use. *chuckles* Been doing a bit more now and then. Like I said, whatever works for a person. I was just kidding around saying somebody was vaping too much.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
well i bought and tried 4 squonks. nice will use two of them once in a while, but going back tp my sub ohm mods. i cant see much benefit in squonks, i dont need to worry about extra juice bottle as i have 7ml sub ohm tanks and i dont get a huge difference in taste. oh well, i tried, still better than crap sticks though. happy vaping.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
well i bought and tried 4 squonks. nice will use two of them once in a while, but going back tp my sub ohm mods. i cant see much benefit in squonks, i dont need to worry about extra juice bottle as i have 7ml sub ohm tanks and i dont get a huge difference in taste. oh well, i tried, still better than crap sticks though. happy vaping.

Well, if it ever gets to the point that you can't get coils for that tank, you'll have the squonkers to fall back on. Nuthin wrong with dat. :)

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Well, if it ever gets to the point that you can't get coils for that tank, you'll have the squonkers to fall back on. Nuthin wrong with dat. :)
smart as usual. i have 3 packs of coils for each of my 13 mods but yes as usual you think good, i will still use the others just take some getting used to. as i bow, leaving wine and flowers and back out of the room.

VU Sponsors