Become a Patron!

Ni200 and Claptons

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I have a spool of Ni200 lying around (I think 26ga), and a bunch of various gauges of Kanthal too.

1. Would I be able to Clapton Kanthal with Ni200 and run it in Power Mode?

2. Would it be possible to Clapton Kanthal with Ni200 and run it in TC? (I have a feeling you can't, and I know Ni200 is hard enough to get running right as it is, so I figure this was kind of a long shot, but hey, you never know right?)

Last edited:

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
don't wanna bother you guys, but fuck it, gonna call you 2 out to try and help me @raymo2u @robot zombie

If anyone can answer my question, it's you 2.

I'd just go and try it out myself and see if it worked, but would rather have input before I waste a shit ton of wire on it.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have not played with NI200 but I would assume the resistance is too low to clapton with, You may be able to wist or parallel Kanthal and then Fused/Clapton it but Im not 100% sure on that.

Try a Single Coil in your RDA with a Single Core Clapton with the NI200 and then try to space the wraps with as many wraps as you can fit, check the resistance and then try it in TC with dry cotton...if you see hot spots or anything then see if you can get them out without glowing the coil hot, pull the cotton and wash the coil, t may be possible this way.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could probably pull off kanthal on ni200 in TC. In a regular clapton, the difference in the resistance of the core and the outer wire is usually great enough that all of the current jumps to the core. With a nickel core, the difference is just that much greater. In theory, this should actually make for a coil with fewer natural shorts, if it has any at all.

That being said, it would probably best to not let that outer kanthal touch the posts at all. Have bare nickel at the connection site and it should work out just fine. That way, it should only read the nickel. I can see no reason why that wouldn't work. In this circuit, the kanthal should act as an insulator. You can have the wraps touching and it still won't short, since the super-low-res nickel core isn't making contact with itself at any point.

You may want to oxidize the wire with a torch though. Shorts in the outer wire could be problematic. I don't see this being too much of an issue, but it'll definitely be something to keep in mind. Still, I think the real question is gonna be whether or not your TC device can pump out enough joules to heat all of that extra mass.

I'm not sure what benefit you would see from claptoning kanthal on nickel and running it in power mode. The resistance should be close to that of the nickel alone, so it probably won't work at al unless you make some big coils with thin wire.

Now, claptoning nickel around kanthal might actually work, but this goes against what typically makes a clapton viable. The whole idea is to use a higher-resistance wire so that you don't have permanent shorts and uneven heating. The outer wire is supposed to be dead weight. It serves a dual purpose as a heat sink and a self-wicking surface. It's meant to down-regulate temperature and bolster wicking capabilities.

Though, I wonder if using nickel on the outside would yield an outer wrap with a similar resistance to the core. That could be interesting. Electrically, it should behave more like a parallel coil than a traditional clapton. You'd have a clapton with an active outer wrap, whereas the outer wrap is usually heated by the inner. Might make for a much faster coil. You might be able to get away with using thicker wire.

THAT would be truly revolutionary. I have my doubts, though. It would be tough to get something that didn't read too low to get the shorts out of. And one short in the nickel might just melt it outright.

Interesting ideas. I may have to give these a shot myself. You got me stumped, heh.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the responses guys! If it stumped you, you can see why it stumped me lol. I'll probably try it out and let everyone know, just wanted some input beforehand. I thought there might be potential in it, I hope it's true :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the responses guys! If it stumped you, you can see why it stumped me lol. I'll probably try it out and let everyone know, just wanted some input beforehand. I thought there might be potential in it, I hope it's true :)
Man o Man...I got something to shed on you and you will need to hit your nearest relative for a few bucks...
Yesterday I was at the LVS and someone had the Hohm Wrecker G2, has Kanthal TC (for real). I was skeptical and so were others so the guy got his build completely dry and did a dry burn test on the cotton...no singeing or burning. I was wondering if it was even Kanthal he was using....I asked to see if I could use it for a minute and I threw on my Griffin on it and set it for 475°F @ 151w, it was warm, warmer then anything Ive tried so far and the taste was exactly what TC was missing. I dumped out my juice and kept vaping and vaping for almost 22 more draws and then it fizzled out and stopped. Its true TC for Kanthal, if it didnt work I would have gotten a dryhit the second draw after I dumped my juice. I am now buying 2 of them with my next check, one in Red/Silver and one in Matte Black, TC has finally gotten where it needed to be, TC with Kanthal and you can use any build you want on it.
Also it can fire down to .007 Ohms in TC and power mode!!! Blown away I was and geared up I now am.

Last edited:

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ummmmm.......yes please! That would be pretty dope, and alot easier than Ni/Ti for sure. I saw this a little while ago, but it seemed to scream lies. At first it seemed weird because of the 151W, like the extra 1W was someone trolling, then the "Insanity" menu screamed fake, and then the 0.007, and I'm like nah, this is a troll box, especially for how heinous the box design is (IMO). I'm kinda glad it's real, was liking the features, but they seemed unreal. If they can make a different box for me (without all that nonsense on it, I'm a minimalist when it comes to design, not features) then it would definitely find its way into my ever growing collection :D

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ummmmm.......yes please! That would be pretty dope, and alot easier than Ni/Ti for sure. I saw this a little while ago, but it seemed to scream lies. At first it seemed weird because of the 151W, like the extra 1W was someone trolling, then the "Insanity" menu screamed fake, and then the 0.007, and I'm like nah, this is a troll box, especially for how heinous the box design is (IMO). I'm kinda glad it's real, was liking the features, but they seemed unreal. If they can make a different box for me (without all that nonsense on it, I'm a minimalist when it comes to design, not features) then it would definitely find its way into my ever growing collection :D
I dont care for its looks but I liked the Bronzed Red/Silver Omega symbols Limited version and the All Black version...I dont mind the menu system much, its also uneatable so its one of the best box's to date...
If you want to see it in action, I was just pm'd this video also-Click and fast forward to 9 minutes...

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man o Man...I got something to shed on you and you will need to hit your nearest relative for a few bucks...
Yesterday I was at the LVS and someone had the Hohm Wrecker G2, has Kanthal TC (for real). I was skeptical and so were others so the guy got his build completely dry and did a dry burn test on the cotton...no singeing or burning. I was wondering if it was even Kanthal he was using....I asked to see if I could use it for a minute and I threw on my Griffin on it and set it for 475°F @ 151w, it was warm, warmer then anything Ive tried so far and the taste was exactly what TC was missing. I dumped out my juice and kept vaping and vaping for almost 22 more draws and then it fizzled out and stopped. Its true TC for Kanthal, if it didnt work I would have gotten a dryhit the second draw after I dumped my juice. I am now buying 2 of them with my next check, one in Red/Silver and one in Matte Black, TC has finally gotten where it needed to be, TC with Kanthal and you can use any build you want on it.
Also it can fire down to .007 Ohms in TC and power mode!!! Blown away I was and geared up I now am.
Hell yeah! Looking at the specs, its a killer box, all across the board.

Just why the Mars/Venus patterning? Last time I saw that, I was at a sex shop...

...I mean, I get that it's probably an alchemy reference... ...they represent iron and copper in that context. But how many people are gonna make that connection? They coulda kept it all omega symbols and it woulda been boss. It's LOUD AF, but that's alright with me. The design concept and placement itself is cool, but the context is going to be confusing to a lot of people.

That being said, I'm still gonna buy it. Fuck you raymo. You're bad for my wallet. But I do need that mod in my life, so thank you.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hell yeah! Looking at the specs, its a killer box, all across the board.

Just why the Mars/Venus patterning? Last time I saw that, I was at a sex shop...

...I mean, I get that it's probably an alchemy reference... ...they represent iron and copper in that context. But how many people are gonna make that connection? They coulda kept it all omega symbols and it woulda been boss. It's LOUD AF, but that's alright with me. The design concept and placement itself is cool, but the context is going to be confusing to a lot of people.

That being said, I'm still gonna buy it. Fuck you raymo. You're bad for my wallet. But I do need that mod in my life, so thank you.
I thought the same things when they released the first box...
They have the normal version which the symbols are the same color as the box and then the Limited Edition which the Symbols are raw in color and the rest of the box painted. I really like the specs though and Im definitely getting 2 of them, I would get them soon before they get popular like the Griffin is becoming...You should check out my latest 2 posts in the "Post your Builds thread" The Griffin is a beast and worth buying 10 of.
Hey Im sorry if I show you things worth buying I could start flashing complete garbage like most people :D... and then you can regret buying it afterwards. Ive already bought or tested just about everything out there and things that have just been released...Ill let you know what is good and what not to buy, I waste my money just to find these things out for most of my friends.

Normal Version: http://www.vaporcube.com/h-wrecker-g2-hohm-wrecker-151w-temperature-control-box-mod.html

Limited Edition Version: http://www.vaporcube.com/h-wrecker-...perature-control-box-mod-limited-edition.html

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the same things when they released the first box...
They have the normal version which the symbols are the same color as the box and then the Limited Edition which the Symbols are raw in color and the rest of the box painted. I really like the specs though and Im definitely getting 2 of them, I would get them soon before they get popular like the Griffin is becoming...You should check out my latest 2 posts in the "Post your Builds thread" The Griffin is a beast and worth buying 10 of.
Hey Im sorry if I show you things worth buying I could start flashing complete garbage like most people :D... and then you can regret buying it afterwards.

Normal Version: http://www.vaporcube.com/h-wrecker-g2-hohm-wrecker-151w-temperature-control-box-mod.html

Limited Edition Version: http://www.vaporcube.com/h-wrecker-...perature-control-box-mod-limited-edition.html
I saw the LE. Real talk, the bare engraving red looks ace. You see there's a pattern, but you can't see how stupid it is. I like the patterning... ...I just hate the dumb choice in symbols. I got a thing for red and that scratches the itch. Hope I can still find them on Friday! Now that you posted it, I don't know... ...things might go the way of our beloved kanthal d. :D

And yeah, Griffin. Don't worry about giving me bad ideas... ...already done been sold on it. Was consciously sleeping on it before it really blew up. I wanted to see if it would live up to the hype. Since it has, I was planning to nab one of them this week. Can't wait to get my hands on one or two.

And to think I was looking at 75w mods before this! I wanted something a little smaller for the griffey and my snubnose RDA. The cricket is great, but I'm missing that classic extra-pocket-sized reggy vape a bit. The Sig 150 is great, but I hate carrying that hulking box around.

I WILL, however, put that aside for the first fucking power-mode super-sub-ohm reggy box with genuine kanthal TC and wattage in TC mode! Thank fucking god. Hated that joules shit. I can compromise on the design for what's actually under the battery door. Hell of an upgrade from my workhorse Sig 150. Too easy.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have a spool of Ni200 lying around (I think 26ga), and a bunch of various gauges of Kanthal too.

1. Would I be able to Clapton Kanthal with Ni200 and run it in Power Mode?

2. Would it be possible to Clapton Kanthal with Ni200 and run it in TC? (I have a feeling you can't, and I know Ni200 is hard enough to get running right as it is, so I figure this was kind of a long shot, but hey, you never know right?)
I haven't tried nickel, I have done it with 26 gauge Ti, with 32 gauge Kanthal for the outside rap, and ran them in TC. They worked, so I am guessing that nickel would behave similarly.

VU Sponsors