Become a Patron!

Not always getting notifications

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the last week I've started to not always get notifications on everything I'm watching or posting or replying to, not by email or up the top righthand corner. I'm only receiving perhaps 70%

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep same here. I'm watching several threads and am only getting notices on them when someone I follow posts, which in a couple threads there isn't crossover (yet). I have email notices turned off because I don't need 200 of those in my inbox, when the on-site notification should suffice.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
eh not worried.. but i can see, if you think it's important.. yes..

bug.. maybe..

or maybe the system is a bit overloaded atm.. *shrugs..

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm still having issues with this. I'm not even seeing all the watched threads in my watched threads feed. I have all of the boxes ticked for 'receive notifications if someone replies' - and to get emails (again) to see if that helps. The PIF box thread, and some of the other threads I was active in, stopped showing up in my watched feeds/notifications area, and as I don't have a lot of free time now, not being able to remember exactly where I last read from, or worse which sub-forum they were in, it's been really hard to keep up because of the free time limit.

Is there something I need to change with my settings?
I'm using Google Chrome: 37.0.2062.124 m - addons are Adblock Plus (exception made for VU); Do not disturb (exception made for VU), Pinterest, and amazon wish list, and FB purity which only works on facebook.

I'm sure I'm not the only one not getting notifications. Because even someone tagging me I don't always get the notifications of that either.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still having issues with this. I'm not even seeing all the watched threads in my watched threads feed. I have all of the boxes ticked for 'receive notifications if someone replies' - and to get emails (again) to see if that helps. The PIF box thread, and some of the other threads I was active in, stopped showing up in my watched feeds/notifications area, and as I don't have a lot of free time now, not being able to remember exactly where I last read from, or worse which sub-forum they were in, it's been really hard to keep up because of the free time limit.

Is there something I need to change with my settings?
I'm using Google Chrome: 37.0.2062.124 m - addons are Adblock Plus (exception made for VU); Do not disturb (exception made for VU), Pinterest, and amazon wish list, and FB purity which only works on facebook.

I'm sure I'm not the only one not getting notifications. Because even someone tagging me I don't always get the notifications of that either.
^ this. It doesn't make any difference what browser or device. Sometimes they're just not coming until a day or two later and sometimes not at all.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My notifications have anxiety lag and I think this notification thing might be due to bandwidth...email notifications only on my side.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I rechecked the 'email notifications' box yesterday before posting the above message. I had notices (on site, but not in email) for the 3 posts I posted in yesterday (including this one) but the other 20+ threads I'm following and have participated in, in the past, are not in my watched threads list. Which makes me wonder if there's a setting on the mod/creator side of things that after x # of hours since last post by participant/watcher within any given thread, does that notifications setting stop working.

IE some of the threads its been a month-ish since I posted, but I read them, if I don't post for a while I stop getting notifications, whether it's a direct reply to something I posted, or if its just a general reply. I'm fine with it if that's the case, but it would help if we users knew the time-frame so we could figure out how often we need to post to maintain notifications so we can keep up and not get lost 20+ pages back - even if there's a ton of activity within any given thread.

Does that make sense @Hobby Kid? I'll try to check in from work tomorrow to see if there's any answer.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rechecked the 'email notifications' box yesterday before posting the above message. I had notices (on site, but not in email) for the 3 posts I posted in yesterday (including this one) but the other 20+ threads I'm following and have participated in, in the past, are not in my watched threads list. Which makes me wonder if there's a setting on the mod/creator side of things that after x # of hours since last post by participant/watcher within any given thread, does that notifications setting stop working.

IE some of the threads its been a month-ish since I posted, but I read them, if I don't post for a while I stop getting notifications, whether it's a direct reply to something I posted, or if its just a general reply. I'm fine with it if that's the case, but it would help if we users knew the time-frame so we could figure out how often we need to post to maintain notifications so we can keep up and not get lost 20+ pages back - even if there's a ton of activity within any given thread.

Does that make sense @Hobby Kid? I'll try to check in from work tomorrow to see if there's any answer.
well i've gotten notified of posts i haven't posted to for a couple of months. i know that setting you're talking about. it's built into most phpbb/vBulletin but clearly not here. i find that if i unsubscribe to a thread for a while and then resubscribe that when things start playing up. but no, there's nothing on the moderators side which can resolve it unfortunately. i think the nearest way to not having this problem is to change the settings in preferences to not automatically subscribe to posts/threads, and then select Watch Thread on each one you choose to instead. and then leave it

auto sub1.png

at the top right of each thread click the Watch Thread link

auto sub2.png

and check out Alert Preferences. i have all mine ticked

auto sub3.png

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sorry to say I am having no problems.

But it still takes forever when I start a new thread for it to show up in the new post section.

And then only when someone has found it and either replied or liked it.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to say I am having no problems.

But it still takes forever when I start a new thread for it to show up in the new post section.

And then only when someone has found it and either replied or liked it.
hi unc, i never see any of my own posts in the new posts section. i think i did once or twice ages back but not anymore until like you say when someone else chimes in

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@UncleRJ & @Hobby Kid - RE: New posts...... this section only shows threads that have NEW messages to you. So if you start a thread, you won't see it in new posts until someone else comments. Others WILL see it though, because it's new to them. Make sense?

BTW Hobby Kid..... I see you finally chose a title...... love it :D

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My alerts have also been sporadic as other have described. Occasionally, I get the e-mail notification a day or two late. It seems like about 30-40% of notifications just never come through at all via e-mail or webpage alert. You can always goto your 'watched threads' and see what has new posts there.

Mr.Mann

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I rarely get notified for watched threads, but I do always get notified about conversations.

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I wanted to note that we do use a queue system to keep bandwidth and issues to a minimum, instead of thousands of notifications going out at once they're cut into "chunks" for sending. Also most larger ajax calls are made every hour or longer (like new posts). However there are separate smaller calls that will update sets of the "chunks" thus show smaller changes over time as well. (Sorry if I went to technical).

VU Sponsors