Become a Patron!

Not Your Average Bear Claw

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can another brand of custard be subbed for the GOC?

CAP Vanilla Custard v1 worked just fine, very tasty vape indeed.

So, yes it could be substituted for. Will it work the same? Probably not, though I haven't tried it.

CAP works fine, and turned out great BTW.
Although I have no point of reference as to what it's like with GOC.
I let it sit for 2 weeks tho, probably should have tried some sooner, lol.

Heng

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
CAP Vanilla Custard v1 worked just fine, very tasty vape indeed.

CAP works fine, and turned out great BTW.
Although I have no point of reference as to what it's like with GOC.
I let it sit for 2 weeks tho, probably should have tried some sooner, lol.

As someone that's mixed it with both GOC and Cap V1, I can tell you that there isn't much between them. The biggest difference for me was when I subbed the Lorann's Cheesecacke icing for Cap Cheesecake after running out. That spoiled it a little.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As someone that's mixed it with both GOC and Cap V1, I can tell you that there isn't much between them. The biggest difference for me was when I subbed the Lorann's Cheesecacke icing for Cap Cheesecake after running out. That spoiled it a little.
Yeah. That LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing really highlights the recipe.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, after receiving my latest flavor order I finally was able to mix up some of this. I normally don't mix a big bottle the first time, but after all the raves about this, I made a 100ml bottle up Saturday night. Yesterday I gave in to temptation and loaded a tank with it, and OMG, this stuff is everything and more that I'd hope it would be. This is SO good! I'm gonna make another 120ml this weekend becauseI know it won't take long to blow through what I have. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful recipe!:ejuice:
ETA: I didn't have GOC so subbed CAPS Vanilla Custard v1, and it turned out great!

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, after receiving my latest flavor order I finally was able to mix up some of this. I normally don't mix a big bottle the first time, but after all the raves about this, I made a 100ml bottle up Saturday night. Yesterday I gave in to temptation and loaded a tank with it, and OMG, this stuff is everything and more that I'd hope it would be. This is SO good! I'm gonna make another 120ml this weekend becauseI know it won't take long to blow through what I have. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful recipe!:ejuice:
ETA: I didn't have GOC so subbed CAPS Vanilla Custard v1, and it turned out great!
I'm glad you liked it. I guess I am going to have to try it with Caps Vanilla Custard v1. I think I have some around here somewhere... :D

Mr Mixer

Member For 4 Years
this looks really good caddisfly! I dont have FA walnut though, any one have any thoughts as to a sub for it? or would it be best to leave it out!
thanks!

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
this looks really good caddisfly! I dont have FA walnut though, any one have any thoughts as to a sub for it? or would it be best to leave it out!
thanks!
FA Nut Mix would work, but none of the other FA nuts would. The FA Walnut is in there to combine with the FA Coconut to simulate butter. This is a finding of HICs for which I'll be eternally grateful.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, so I thought I'd update my experiences with this recipe. I initially mixed a 100ml bottle of this and was pretty satisfied with it, but thought it was missing just a little something that maybe steeping would help. Well, at the end of the bottle it still tasted the same. I mixed another 120ml and upped the Almond, Walnut, and Cinnamon Ceylon by .5% and it still seemed to lack something. To me, the flavor of the Bear Claw filling flavors (the pastry part tasted fine) wasn't coming through as much as I'd liked it to so I tried taking 10ml, and added 1 drop of EM to it, and viola, the flavor of the inside of a Bear Claw popped. I added one drop of EM per 10ml to the rest that I had, and will mix it that way the next time I make some. I suggest anyone else having the issue with the lack of flavor from the filling try this to see if it works for you.
Thanks again for sharing this recipe, as it has become a regular in my rotation!:)<3:ejuice:

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To me, the flavor of the Bear Claw filling flavors (the pastry part tasted fine) wasn't coming through as much as I'd liked it to so I tried taking 10ml, and added 1 drop of EM to it, and viola, the flavor of the inside of a Bear Claw popped. I added one drop of EM per 10ml to the rest that I had

Thanks for posting this. I only have about 3ml left in my bottle, but I'll definitely make another batch this weekend and try it with EM.

BTW... Great recipe @caddisfly !

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, so I thought I'd update my experiences with this recipe. I initially mixed a 100ml bottle of this and was pretty satisfied with it, but thought it was missing just a little something that maybe steeping would help. Well, at the end of the bottle it still tasted the same. I mixed another 120ml and upped the Almond, Walnut, and Cinnamon Ceylon by .5% and it still seemed to lack something. To me, the flavor of the Bear Claw filling flavors (the pastry part tasted fine) wasn't coming through as much as I'd liked it to so I tried taking 10ml, and added 1 drop of EM to it, and viola, the flavor of the inside of a Bear Claw popped. I added one drop of EM per 10ml to the rest that I had, and will mix it that way the next time I make some. I suggest anyone else having the issue with the lack of flavor from the filling try this to see if it works for you.
Thanks again for sharing this recipe, as it has become a regular in my rotation!:)<3:ejuice:
I'm going to try your suggestion, as I think you are on the right track. Over time I have changed the recipe to match my tastes. This is the recipe I have been using for a couple of months.

Bear Claw #329E

3.5% FA Almond
1.5% MamaJ's Game Over Custard
1% TFA Toasted Almond
1.25% TFA Brown Sugar (Extra)
0.5% FA Coconut
0.5% FA Meringue
0.5% FA Vanilla Classic
0.25% FA Marshmallow
0.25% FA Cinnamon Ceylon
0.25% FA Walnut
0.5% LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing.

As you can see I have been addressing the same concerns you have. I upped the FA Almond because I like the almond and wanted more of it. My solution to the sweetness pop is to add 0.25% to both the TFA Brown Sugar and the LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing. This worked enough to make me happy. The thing is though, this has been an all day vape for me for so long that my mind automatically adjusts it so it always tastes the same.

That said, I want to try your EM solution. The problem is I only have TFA EM in powdered form. I purchased this a couple of years ago and played a little with it. I was new at mixing at the time and it never worked the way I wanted. Little did I know it was my ruined taste buds that were the problem. My taste buds have since healed. I don't remember the formula to mix the powdered EM and PG that I used. I do remember that it was not an exact formula. It was something like "put some EM in a bottle and cover with PG and shake." It might work that way, but at the time I thought something was wrong.

So I ask; does anyone have a recipe to mix powdered EM and PG in some form that can measured without a scale? Preferably in the form 1/4 teaspoon added to some number of ml of PG. It doesn't have to be a 1/4 teaspoon, but the amount that I have of the EM came in a 6ml sample bottle. So it is not much.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi Huckleberried! It's good to see you. My fault, not yours. Things have been crazy around here.

To me that seems a little light on the EM, but what do I know, I'll give it a try. Better too light than too heavy. Thanks for the formula.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Huckleberried! It's good to see you. My fault, not yours. Things have been crazy around here.

To me that seems a little light on the EM, but what do I know, I'll give it a try. Better too light than too heavy. Thanks for the formula.
Good to see you, too! I see your name FLY THROUGH the chat on Mod Envy still. I try to say hi, but I'm not sure anyone can keep up with the chat LOL!

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1/4 tsp to 9 or 10ml PG.

Yep....google found this:

Suggested dilution: Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of Ethyl Maltol crystals in 10ml of PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol) or PG which ever you prefer. Diluted mixture can then be added to your liquid. Start with one or two drops per 6ml of liquid. Add more to soften or sweeten liquid to your taste.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
2016-07-08.png
I'm going to try your suggestion, as I think you are on the right track. Over time I have changed the recipe to match my tastes. This is the recipe I have been using for a couple of months.

Bear Claw #329E

3.5% FA Almond
1.5% MamaJ's Game Over Custard
1% TFA Toasted Almond
1.25% TFA Brown Sugar (Extra)
0.5% FA Coconut
0.5% FA Meringue
0.5% FA Vanilla Classic
0.25% FA Marshmallow
0.25% FA Cinnamon Ceylon
0.25% FA Walnut
0.5% LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing.

As you can see I have been addressing the same concerns you have. I upped the FA Almond because I like the almond and wanted more of it. My solution to the sweetness pop is to add 0.25% to both the TFA Brown Sugar and the LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing. This worked enough to make me happy. The thing is though, this has been an all day vape for me for so long that my mind automatically adjusts it so it always tastes the same.

That said, I want to try your EM solution. The problem is I only have TFA EM in powdered form. I purchased this a couple of years ago and played a little with it. I was new at mixing at the time and it never worked the way I wanted. Little did I know it was my ruined taste buds that were the problem. My taste buds have since healed. I don't remember the formula to mix the powdered EM and PG that I used. I do remember that it was not an exact formula. It was something like "put some EM in a bottle and cover with PG and shake." It might work that way, but at the time I thought something was wrong.

So I ask; does anyone have a recipe to mix powdered EM and PG in some form that can measured without a scale? Preferably in the form 1/4 teaspoon added to some number of ml of PG. It doesn't have to be a 1/4 teaspoon, but the amount that I have of the EM came in a 6ml sample bottle. So it is not much.

It seems that 1/4tsp EM to 10ml PG seems to be the most common dilution. I purchased my pre-diluted @10%.
Here's a screenshot of how I have this mixed up now:

2016-07-08.png

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Next time I might try doing it the way you mixed it last, This has become a real favorite, and eventually its going to be freaking awesome once we get it all fine tuned.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mod Envy's chat is a mess. Always has been, always will be. Throw a few hundred people into one room: Guaranteed chaos. I love the program though, its like a family get together and bragging contest. I like that they are on Goggle and I can watch them on a tablet. I'm no longer tethered to my desktop all night.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It looks like the EM mix I thought was too light is the accepted recipe. I blame old age for the mistake.

I'll give your recipe a try, Mark. Thanks for posting it.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Next time I might try doing it the way you mixed it last, This has become a real favorite, and eventually its going to be freaking awesome once we get it all fine tuned.
I think you're right.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It looks like the EM mix I thought was too light is the accepted recipe. I blame old age for the mistake.

I'll give your recipe a try, Mark. Thanks for posting it.
My pleasure, and thank you for sharing it!

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wonder how much of a difference the GOC makes in this recipe. I've never had any of that. Have you tried it with VC 1 in place of GOC @caddisfly ?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wonder how much of a difference the GOC makes in this recipe. I've never had any of that. Have you tried it with VC 1 in place of GOC @caddisfly ?
I've never had GOC so can't say what it tastes like, but I mix mine using CAP VC 1 and it's very good IMHO.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really need to break down and try some GOC one day. I've heard its very good.
It's very good as an ingredient among others. I really don't know if a custard lover would like it or not as I don't like custard flavored juices at all. I tried it at the recommended 14% once and decided it was not for me.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's very good as an ingredient among others. I really don't know if a custard lover would like it or not as I don't like custard flavored juices at all. I tried it at the recommended 14% once and decided it was not for me.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I do love custards, but already have a few custard recipes that I'm more than satisfied with

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Over the weekend I mixed my bear claw a couple of different ways to try out our theories. Than I got busy at work and haven't had time to post the results.

1. First I mixed it with Capella Vanilla Custard at the same percentage I used with the GOC. It worked, but there was a slight difference. So i doubled the Cap VC to try to discern it and decided it was too minor to matter much. Though I now want to try it with double the GOC and see what happens.

2. I mixed the EM as per instructions and add 1% to my version of BC. 1% didn't really do much. So I doubled it, and it made a big difference. While not exactly making it pop, It did make it seem warmer and perhaps more inviting somehow, I wish I was better able to describe it.

This weekend I plan to mix Mark's recipe and again mine with double GOC. Perhaps then I will be able to come to some conclusions.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Over the weekend I mixed my bear claw a couple of different ways to try out our theories. Than I got busy at work and haven't had time to post the results.

1. First I mixed it with Capella Vanilla Custard at the same percentage I used with the GOC. It worked, but there was a slight difference. So i doubled the Cap VC to try to discern it and decided it was too minor to matter much. Though I now want to try it with double the GOC and see what happens.

2. I mixed the EM as per instructions and add 1% to my version of BC. 1% didn't really do much. So I doubled it, and it made a big difference. While not exactly making it pop, It did make it seem warmer and perhaps more inviting somehow, I wish I was better able to describe it.

This weekend I plan to mix Mark's recipe and again mine with double GOC. Perhaps then I will be able to come to some conclusions.
I hope it works out well for you!
Now my next question. I need to mix some more before long and I'm almost out of almond. I was wondering how well it might be if I subbed Marzipan for the almond? I do also have toasted almond, but not of the plain FA Almond to make a decent (100-120ml) batch.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Some people swear that marzipan tastes like almond. I don't get it at all. I guess because I have no Italian in me. It's as good a reason as any. Before committing to a large bottle of it I'd try a small one. I don't think it will work, but people are different. I do know that it doesn't work for me if I use TFA Toasted Almond instead of FA.

Hope that helped. It probably wasn't what you wanted to hear. There is something about FA Almond that just screams Bear Claw. :D

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some people swear that marzipan tastes like almond. I don't get it at all. I guess because I have no Italian in me. It's as good a reason as any. Before committing to a large bottle of it I'd try a small one. I don't think it will work, but people are different. I do know that it doesn't work for me if I use TFA Toasted Almond instead of FA.

Hope that helped. It probably wasn't what you wanted to hear. There is something about FA Almond that just screams Bear Claw. :D
Maybe I'll just try my Toasted Almond then, anyway it'll be a smaller bottle this time.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe I'll just try my Toasted Almond then, anyway it'll be a smaller bottle this time.
Okay, its Saturday. Mark, while mixing up your recipe I discovered something that I should have noticed earlier. You did not use the LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing. That would explain why why you felt you needed the EM to give it the pop. The cream cheese icing does this. When I was trying your EM suggestion I was trying it in a recipe that already had the cream cheese in it. Therefore it was difficult for me to taste the effects of the EM.

I did go ahead and mix your recipe exactly how your screenshot says, and yes it needs something to add the sweetness. I also wanted to try it with that extra little Cinnamon Ceylon and Walnut even though to do it I had to mix 24ml instead of my usual 12 ml. I mix using the drop method with 33 drops per ml droppers to make things easy. For larger batches I mix by graduated cylinder and the recipes scale up correctly. What I'm going to do now is divide the 24ml in half and add EM to one and Cream Cheese Icing to the other. Then taste again. More to report soon...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay, its Saturday. Mark, while mixing up your recipe I discovered something that I should have noticed earlier. You did not use the LorAnn Cream Cheese Icing. That would explain why why you felt you needed the EM to give it the pop. The cream cheese icing does this. When I was trying your EM suggestion I was trying it in a recipe that already had the cream cheese in it. Therefore it was difficult for me to taste the effects of the EM.

I did go ahead and mix your recipe exactly how your screenshot says, and yes it needs something to add the sweetness. I also wanted to try it with that extra little Cinnamon Ceylon and Walnut even though to do it I had to mix 24ml instead of my usual 12 ml. I mix using the drop method with 33 drops per ml droppers to make things easy. For larger batches I mix by graduated cylinder and the recipes scale up correctly. What I'm going to do now is divide the 24ml in half and add EM to one and Cream Cheese Icing to the other. Then taste again. More to report soon...

I did use the LA Cream Cheese Icing. EJMU only allows for 10 ingredients it the recipe table. If you look in the notes field in the lower left-hand side you'll see I have it in there at .25%. Maybe I'll try upping the percentage on that next time. I keep hoping that EJMU will have another update and add a couple of more lines for ingredients eventually. I know it will sure make it easier to mix with.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, well there goes my theory. I should have noticed that too. However I looked at my original posting and it has the LA CCI at 0.25%. I have been using the cream cheese icing at 0.5% for quite a while now. I should have updated that also, but at the time I made a conscious decision not to. I tend to over flavor things a bit, and thought it was just my taste buds acting out again.

Okay, I just rewicked a couple atomizers and am now going to add the EM and CCI and see what happens.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, well there goes my theory. I should have noticed that too. However I looked at my original posting and it has the LA CCI at 0.25%. I have been using the cream cheese icing at 0.5% for quite a while now. I should have updated that also, but at the time I made a conscious decision not to. I tend to over flavor things a bit, and thought it was just my taste buds acting out again.

Okay, I just rewicked a couple atomizers and am now going to add the EM and CCI and see what happens.
Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I tried them and I like it with the LA Cream Cheese at 0.5% best of all. As far as the Cinnamon Ceylon Goes I don't care for the little extra, but I do like the extra walnut. So, this seems to be a case of not nitpicking, but essentially individual tastes and preferences. Every one I tried was good and vapable, so I'll leave it to others to choose which they like best. The good news is that the recipe can handle all the variations and still resemble the bear claws that I ate in my youth. Most of the credit for that probably belongs to Flavour Art and their excellent Almond flavoring.

Last edited:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I tried them and I like it with the LA Cream Cheese at 0.5% best of all. As far as the Cinnamon Ceylon Goes I don't care for the little extra, but I do like the extra walnut. So, this seems to be a case of not nitpicking, but essentially individual tastes and preferences. Every one I tried was good and vapable, so I'll leave it to others to choose which they like best. The good news is that the recipe can handle all the variations and still resemble the bear claws I that I ate in my youth. Most of the credit for that probably belongs to Flavour Art and their excellent Almond flavoring.
It is an excellent recipe and has been a fun one to "play" with. I can see trying a few other possible adjustments in the future but the next batch I'll up the CCI to .5%. Maybe make two small bottles one with EM and one without to see how I like it. This is the what makes DIY so great, you can fine tune a recipe to best suit your own taste preferences.:):ejuice:

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're absolutely right. Well said. Keep me posted on any breakthroughs.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@caddisfly

So I need to use the original recipe and increase almond, walnut and cci?
Not all three. I would suggest that you use the original recipe, but up the Cream Cheese Icing to 0.5% from 0.25%. That has been my ADV for the past two months. The other ingredients should stay the same to start with. Right now I am switching back and forth between the many bottles this experimenting created and as of now I haven't found any other changes I think are necessary. Though I mixed the last batch with Capella Vanilla custard, I do think the MamaJ's Game over Custard is better. Each work though.

VU Sponsors