Become a Patron!

OBS Cube-S 80W VW Box MOD - Review

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Cube-S 80W VW Box MOD from OBS. The OBS Cube-S 80W Box MOD was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/obs-cube-s-80w-box-mod.html

Introduction

OBS who i am pleased have changed their website to obsvape rather than obsnsmoke first came to my attention with the original Engine! More recently their Cube series of devices have made the greatest waves taking the basic tubular form factor and squaring off the sides for a space saving cubed box mod.

I reviewed both the Cube and Cube-X and although as far as performance and how the device is operated hasn't changed it's been given an aesthetic facelift only keeping the cube face and then introducing a C-frame design (so not really a cube anymore). The Cube-S is a compact power only device with no menu making it one of the easiest mods to operate and with the Auto Lock feature is perfect for someone's first box mod or someone who simply wants to set wattage and vape!

Now with a colour display and coming in 6 Leather spine options let's check out the latest Cube!

In The Box

Contents:

1x OBS Cube-S MOD
1x Type-C Cable
1x User Manual
1X Warning Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Cube-S is a compact ergonomic device that comes in cardboard box packaging with an outer cardboard sleeve. The different colour options refer to the colour/design of the leather spines that sweep round the sides of the device. I received the Black Brown option which has Black Leather one side and Brown the other which meet in the centre of the spine where we have a vertical row of stitching on each coloured Leather section. The colour options are Blue Camo, Black Blue, Classic Black, Black Red, Blue Red and Black Brown.

The face sees the same flat chrome edged pill shaped panel as on previous cubes with a lovely smooth large round fire button at the top with chromed edging, further down on this panel we have the central display followed by branding and a Type C USB port. On one side towards the front we have "CUBE-S" embossed into the Leather and on the opposite side on the main frame we have recessed navigational buttons. The oval base has printed branding and safety marks and moving up top we have a flattened front and curved rear with a 24mm 510 plate and Gold plated, spring loaded 510.

The main construction is Zinc Alloy yet at 120g is not heavy, it's a compact sized comfortable device to use when out and about!

İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

Cube-S Specs and Features:

Size: 86 x 28 x 34 mm
Weight: 120g
Output Wattage: 5 - 80W
Battery: 1x 18650 battery(not included)
Working Mode: VW
Charging Current: 4.2V/2A
Standby Current: <45ua
Output Voltage: 3.2-4.25V
Resistance Range: 0.1ohm-3.0ohm
Material: Leather + Zinc Alloy
Leather texture for smooth touch
Ergonomic design for easy grip
Multiple battery protections
0.96-inch LED display
Type-C charging port
Thread: 510
Colours: Blue Camo, Black Blue, Classic Black, Black Red, Blue Red, Black Brown

Kit Version

As well as the Cube-S Mod which i received it is also available as a kit paired with the Cube Subohm Tank. Included in that kit is two 0.2ohm mesh coil heads which are a mainstream size so Baby Beast coils and many other brands will be compatible. The standard version has a 4ml capacity while the TPD version is of course 2ml, it also includes a spare glass!

https://www.sourcemore.com/obs-cube-s-kit.html

Fitting The Battery

The Cube-S accommodates a single 18650 battery and while a 21700 version would also be great i am loving the small palm size a 18650 allows. To fit the battery the spine of the device needs removing which is done by gripping both sides of the device tightly and giving a tug, it use to be a common way of fitting batteries where the metal sides of the spine section slides tightly over the main frame metal as seen on devices like the Asmodus Colossal.

The spine fits so snuggly it would possibly secure quite nicely just with the precision fit but we do have a large square magnet towards the top and for good measure also a smaller elongated magnet to the underside edge at the bottom. The battery fits snuggly in the battery compartment and we have an attached ribbon to help with removal, my only complaint is the orientation is just Black on Black which really needs to be in White making it more visible! The spine section secures very tightly and we have no movement whatsoever from the spine section or battery!

The Display

The Cube-S has an aesthetically attractive colour display that has used colour very well without going OTT. The display is bright, sharp and well laid out with the only thing i would change being getting rid of the "OBS" top left to allow the battery status to be displayed as a percentage.

Top left as mentioned we have "OBS" and then top right a battery status bar. Below we have a circular design with the wattage central, to the upper right edge of the circular design we have a padlock in either a closed or open position dependant on the status of the device.

Underneath the circular design we have the puff count and then lined up vertically we have voltage followed by resistance and then finally vape duration.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Navigating The Cube-S

This is a less detailed review as i usually write but that means the device does what it say's on the can as the saying goes because this is a simple no fuss device with no fancy settings and no other modes other than Variable Voltage.

It's the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on simply adjust the wattage and vape. The wattage adjusts in 1w increments from 5w all the way up to 80w at a nice speed and round robins.

Whenever the fire button is pressed the navigational buttons Auto Lock which i think is a great feature, to unlock so the wattage can be adjusted is 3 quick clicks of either the up or down buttons.

For those who have used a previous Cube device this will all sound very familiar as the functionality has remained consistent throughout the different versions. This though also includes the main con for the device which is the puff counter resets every time the device is powered down or the battery removed yet it can't be manually reset by choice. Those that have no interest in a puff counter will be pleased that the only real con for the device is this as it doesn't effect them but will be a con for those who monitor there puffs and limit themselves to a set amount of puffs each day!

Protections:

Charging Protection
Over-current Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Low Voltage Protection
Over Temperature Protection
Puff Time 10s Cut-off

Charging

If charging in the device is the only option then i am pleased that the Cube-S has Type C USB and a 2A charge rate. While charging a large charging progress bar is displayed and it also supports pass-through!

My Experience Using The Cube-S And Thoughts!

I love the form factor and size it is so comfortable in the hand, to fire and just gets swallowed up in the palm, aesthetically it's a damn good looking device and love the different two coloured leather spine and sides!

There is very little wrong here unless you like all the bells and whistles features that come with a lot of devices or you are a TC user because the whole point of the Cube series of devices is no fuss, power only mods that are so simple to use and a great option for a first mod!

The only cons i have is the puff counter resetting every time either the battery is removed or even just powering down yet there is no way of manually resetting it, although this will only be a con to those who monitor their puffs. This is common to all Cube devices so would of thought this would of been addressed! The only other con for me is battery orientation not being clearly visible.

The navigational buttons being tucked into a recess at the side gives the device a very clean look which is helped also by the smooth round fire button sitting flush, cleverly though the outer Chromed edging protrudes making it easy to find and it gives a luxurious cushioned click, very nice!!!

Just like the mod the display is also a looker in my opinion although that has reminded me of another con which is i don't like branding on a display when battery percentage could be displayed instead! The spine battery cover fits very securely so full marks there and the cushioned feel is really nice! As mentioned the device is as simple as it gets to operate which will appeal to those that just want to set wattage and vape with the only feature being the Auto Lock which i really like!

Like most modern devices there is absolutely no delay when firing and set wattage is hit instantly, nice ramp up speed! As well as an aesthetic overhaul and colour display the Cube-S also see's a Type C USB and 2A charge rate while supporting pass-through! Up to a 25mm atomizer will fit without overhang which covers most atomizers that would suit an 80w device!

Good build quality
Cushioned Leather spine
6 Leather spine options
Very ergonomic
Aesthetically pleasing to the eye (in my opinion)
Small compact size
Nice weight
Removable spine for battery instalment
Side navigational buttons
Really nice fire button
Very simple to use
Auto Lock
Good looking colour display
Type C USB with 2A charge rate
Fit up to 25mm atomizers without overhang
Supports pass-through

Cons

Puff Counter resets every time power is switched off but can't be reset manually
Battery orientation not clearly visible
Would prefer battery percentage displayed rather than branding
No TC or settings (Pro for those this is suited for)

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the OBS Cube-S 80W VW Box MOD for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading, stay safe and have the best Christmas you can under the unfortunate circumstances!!!!

https://www.sourcemore.com/obs-cube-s-80w-box-mod.html

Coupon code for customers:
$28.79 OBS Cube-S Mod
code: CUSM

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sourcemore or benefit in any way from the use of the above code but was asked if i would include it in my content!

Last edited:

VU Sponsors