Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well I almost have a second offer of employment. They forgot to find out what to pay me.Human resource lady was weird. Called around 9 pm. I think she wanted me to commit without knowing a wage. I told them to call me back tomorrow with offer.
So you are still playing with the balancing scales? Regardless of wage, pick the one you "feel best" about.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm exhausted. I'm suppose to meet someone tomorrow very early for coffee. She's a good friend of 17 years. Not to many will stick by you that long these days.
I might just be a really archaic philosopher, but I always believed that if they are, indeed, a "good friend," they will stick with you forever. If they don't stay friends, they never really were.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good luck with your onions Sandi I grow them every year.
Do you grow the Walla Walla onions or something else?

Was beautiful here in death valley, aka AZ
I lived in Tucson for a year and a half, then many years later, in Grand Canyon (the village on the south rim) for almost a year. While I'll admit that Prescott and Sedona were my favorite places, I didn't find any part of AZ to be equivalent to my one trip across Death Valley.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I live in Tucson for a year and a half, then many years later, in Grand Canyon (the village on the south rim) for almost a year. While I'll admit that Prescott and Sedona were my favorite places, I didn't find any part of AZ to be equivalent to my one trip across Death Valley.
Hahaha...nope, not really anything like death valley....just FEELS like it during the summer....but Sedona and Flagstaff are beautiful.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I lived in Tucson for a year and a half, then many years later, in Grand Canyon (the village on the south rim) for almost a year. While I'll admit that Prescott and Sedona were my favorite places, I didn't find any part of AZ to be equivalent to my one trip across Death Valley.
Yeah I grow 3 different kinds of onions, just had a big one in my salad tonight, mine get the size of softballs

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hahaha...nope, not really anything like death valley....just FEELS like it during the summer....but Sedona and Flagstaff are beautiful.
I remember being at a gun shop in Tucson one day, right after they paved their parking lot. Came out after BSing for three hours and found my truck up to the rims in melted asphalt and it was only 114 degrees. :oops:

While working at Grand Canyon, all my free time was spent exploring Anasazi ruins all around Flagstaff (and as far N.E. as Four Corners), but I could sit near Sedona all day just soaking in the awesome energy of the red rocks. Something about them was almost hypnotizing.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had an Aunt who lived in Tucson . She moved from Illinois to Tucson in 1961 she loved it and could breath better after a few years she adjusted to the heat

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had an Aunt who lived in Tucson . She moved from Illinois to Tucson in 1961 she loved it and could breath better after a few years she adjusted to the heat
In Tucson, because the humidity is normally low, everyone uses a swamp cooler. In Phoenix, where all the retirees think they need watered lawns like they had back home (nuYawk or Illinois or wherever), the humidity is very high, so you go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned office buildings/shopping malls and few actually spend much time outside. I, on the other hand, hiked the desert and mountains and pretty much ignored (or adapted to) the heat.

I really didn't notice the difference in air quality, but then I never lived in cities and spent most of my free time up a mountain or in a forest somewhere in this country.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hola - sorry, have no idea why I am injected bad high school Spanish into the convo :crazy:
Hey, foreign languages in school taught me just enough to get my face slapped in Spanish, German, French, and Italian (well, actually Latin, but close enough). When I worked at Grand Canyon, seven Frenchmen walked in and their leader asked, "Parle vous Francais?" to which I answered, "Non, je nes parle pa Francais; je parle Anglais." (spelling here is probably wrong - it has been too many years) The Frenchman nodded his head because I was obviously understandable, then he just stared at me as if to say "You just told me you do not speak French in French," but he was nice enough to talk to me in broken English anyway. I learned lots of Spanish cuss words in the strawberry fields as a child - I think they didn't like us.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey, foreign languages in school taught me just enough to get my face slapped in Spanish, German, French, and Italian (well, actually Latin, but close enough). When I worked at Grand Canyon, seven Frenchmen walked in and their leader asked, "Parle vous Francais?" to which I answered, "Non, je nes parle pa Francais; je parle Anglais." (spelling here is probably wrong - it has been too many years) The Frenchman nodded his head because I was obviously understandable, then he just stared at me as if to say "You just told me you do not speak French in French," but he was nice enough to talk to me in broken English anyway. I learned lots of Spanish cuss words in the strawberry fields as a child - I think they didn't like us.

As a teenager me and some friends got stuck in Canada and ended up having to get work picking blueberries with a lot of Hindus who were also illegal - those folks kicked our asses at blue berry picking - they didn't like us either

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, in the strawberry fields of Orygun, the Mexicans would line up their family (lots of kids) and buzz from one end of the row to the other while us locals were still snacking in the first ten feet. :rolleyes:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I hate to do this, but... this old phart is falling asleep at the keyboard, so I better find the bed while I still can. I suspect Jimi has already passed out, so Lucy dear, the thread is all yours. :)

Talk at y'all tomorrow.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So you are still playing with the balancing scales? Regardless of wage, pick the one you "feel best" about.
It looks like I'm going with the first job offer. The HR lady said she would call me at 11am and no call. I'm kinda anal with promises. It appears they wanted a full time employee and that was their focus. If they do call back (I'm sure they will drag their ass) I'm declining that one due to their lack of organization. Calling someone at almost 9pm sounds janky and then promise to call in the morning seems weird.

VU Sponsors