Become a Patron!

OXVA Origin SE

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

After reviewing the OXVA Origin Mini about six months ago, it’s time for the Origin SE – a smaller version of the Origin Mini.

DSC01581.jpg

Product overview

The Origin SE is a 53g, 1400mAh pod system, with replaceable coils, 5V/2A fast-charging, fire button/autodraw, adjustable airflow and three step power adjustment.

What do you get?
  • Origin SE pod system (fitted with 0.3ohm Unicoil and airflow ring)
  • 0.5ohm Unicoil
  • Type-C USB cable
  • Lanyard
First impressions

The reduction in size over the Origin Mini, makes the SE far more of a pocket-friendly device, sure there are smaller devices, but they tend to be catering for MTL vapers.

Pod

The pod has a juice capacity of 3.5ml and is side-fill, requiring the pod to be removed before filling – seeing as the Origin Mini was top-fill, I’m not sure why they went with this choice on the SE.

One plus point with this particular filling system, is that the tab is perfect, it stays totally secure when required and then opens really easily when it’s time to refill – it’s a small detail, but I like it.

Another thing that I like a lot with this pod, is that it takes regular 510 drip-tips, I’m a huge fan of tuning my vape with drip-tip choice, so this is something that I’m always happy to see.

DSC01587.jpg

Functions

This is about as simple as it gets:
  • on/off – five clicks
  • disable the fire button (still allowing autodraw) – four clicks
  • cycle through the three power settings – three clicks
Power setting and battery level are shown via three LEDs under the fire button.

The SE will detect the coil resistance and adjust the power range accordingly, the power levels for each coil are:
  • 0.3ohm 30/35/40w
  • 0.5ohm 16/21/25w
  • 1.0ohm 8/11/14w (this coil is not supplied with the kit)
Airflow

Rather than having adjustable airflow on the device, there is an airflow ring that you attach to the coil, meaning that you need to remove the pod to adjust the airflow.

I found that fully open airflow is where both supplied coils perform at their best, so this wasn’t a problem for me.

Even with the airflow fully open, it’s still very much a restricted DL draw – this is not a fully open DL vape.

The only issue I have, is that you only get one airflow ring – it’s small enough to be easily dropped/lost and I’d have liked to have seen an extra in the box, or preferably one fitted on every coil you purchase.

Coil performance

The 0.3ohm coil was really good in the Origin Mini, and it’s no different in the SE – crisp clear flavor, slightly saturated warm vapor and consistent performance. Considering the size/power of the device, the amount of vapor production is good.

The 0.5ohm coil initially feels just like a lite version of the 0.3ohm coil, but this is where being able to swap the drip-tips becomes useful, put a narrow bore 510 drip-tip on the SE with this coil, and it gives a very nice restricted DL hit, with great flavor.

I enjoyed both coils at the SE’s lowest power settings, if you want more warmth then you can put up the power, but I didn’t find it necessary.

DSC01590.jpg

Battery

Even with the 0.3ohm coil, I was getting good battery lifespan – this probably has a lot to do with me running the device on the lowest power setting most of the time.

Charging is quick with a claimed 80% in 30 minutes. I didn’t time it, but it seems pretty quick when I’ve had to charge it.

Conclusion

I prefer the Origin SE over the Origin Mini, mainly because of the size and weight, it lacks some of the features that the Mini has, but the performance is just the same.

Overall, there’s not much to dislike with the Origin SE – if you’re in the market for a simple and compact restricted DL device, this could be a very good choice.

DSC01585.jpg

Disclaimer

The Origin SE was provided by OXVA for the purposes of this review.

VU Sponsors