Become a Patron!

OXVA Origin X Limited Edition Kit Review

OXVA Origin X Limited Edition Kit
Introduction

The Origin X from OXVA is the follow up to the Origin AIO. The Origin X has had a few tweaks made to it; maximum wattage has been increased from 40W to 60W, the pod now sits in a recess up top, instead of going inside the body of the device, airflow holes have been shifted to the front. Then there are a few exciting accessories available; a 510 adapter plate and a Dual Coil RBA deck with tank. It is a single 18650 device with a power output of 5-60W and a pod with a 3ml liquid capacity.

Let’s take a look at the Origin X from OXVA.

Photo Album

Disclaimer: The Origin X was sent to me for review by OXVA.

Box Contents
  • Oxva Origin X mod
  • Origin X Pod (preinstalled)
  • Unicoil 0.2Ω mesh (preinstalled)
  • Unicoil 1.0Ω
  • Type C Charging Cable
  • Airflow Ring
  • User Manual and Warranty

Included in the Limited Edition kit and available as extras:
  • 510 Adapter Plate
  • Dual Coil RBA Section with L Shaped Tank
  • Top cap for RBA with 810 Drip Tip
  • Unicoil 0.3Ω mesh and 0.5Ω mesh
  • Rebuildable Unicoil
Specifications
  • Size: 32.8mm x 23.5mm x 113.5mm
  • Power Output – 5-60W
  • Screen – 0.69″ OLED
  • Battery – Single 18650
  • Capacity – 3ml
  • Charging – USB C 2A
  • Modes – Wattage
Design & Build Quality
The Origin X is available in four different colour schemes: black with red trim, marble grey, pine green and black carbon fibre.

The body of the Origin X is very similar looking to the original Origin. Tall and slim, it fits in your hand comfortably. Looking at it from the top it is almost tear shaped, which creates a very nice overall shape to hold onto. The frame of the body is metal and it has two plastic panels on either side. The sides on the version I received are a carbon fibre effect.

One of these panels is removed to reveal the battery compartment and the panel is held on by four magnets. The magnets are strong; the panel snaps into place and does not move around.

The battery compartment has a ribbon to help you remove your battery for charging and there is no wiggle of the battery when installed.

The bottom of the device has battery venting holes, regulation marks and a USB Type-C port.

The front of the Origin X has a cut out in the body which lets you see your liquid level in the pod.

Below this are two airflow slots to allow air to pass into the coil when drawing on the device.

Then you have the fire button, which is small and circular and is convex shaped. The button is recessed into the device so it doesn't stick out from the body, but the convex shape allows you to find the button easily by feel. It is surrounded by an LED indicator light.

The OLED screen is located below the fire button and is bright and clear, even in direct sunlight.

Below the screen is the single adjustment button, which again is small and circular, but this button is concave in shape and sits flush with the body of the Origin X. You use this button to cycle through the wattage and it round robins once you hit 60W.

On the bottom of the front of the device is the Origin X name.

The top of the Origin X has a recess where the pod or various other available accessories fit. There are two connection pins which are spring loaded and a single strong magnet which secures the pod or accessory in place.

Overall, the build quality is very high and the device feels nice in the hand. It has a nice weight to it, not feeling too heavy but also not feeling flimsy. The tall and slim design makes the Origin X pocket friendly too.

Features & Functions
Firstly, the display shows your wattage followed by the voltage being drawn from your battery when firing and the resistance of the installed coil. You then have a puff counter and a battery indicator.

There are no menus to navigate and there is just the single adjustment button which cycles up through your wattage selection in one watt increments. Holding down the adjustment button will change the wattage at a faster speed. Once you hit 60W it stops and pressing the adjustment button again will round robin back to 5W.

Button Combinations
  • Turn On / Off: Five clicks of the fire button
  • Puff Counter Clear: Hold fire button and adjustment button for three seconds
  • Lock / Unlock Device: Press fire button three times within two seconds
Pod
The pod is made from PCTG and is tinted, but not too dark. You can see your liquid quite easily through the sides of the pod.

It has a fixed drip tip on the top, which is circular in shape. It looks to be the same size as a 510 drip tip.

On the front of the pod is a little grip which you can push up on with your thumb to remove the pod from the top of the device when you want to take it off, along with a little cut out on the back to place a nail under.

The bottom of the pod has a single strong magnet, the hole for pushing your coils into and the fill port. The fill port has a rubber stopper, which is pulled out using the rubber leg. This leg doubles as a stand so when the pod is placed on a flat surface and a coil is in place it will stand upright and not fall over or roll. The fill port itself is a little oblong shape, but it isn't very big. Small nozzles will be fine, but anything on the bigger side and you will struggle.

Coils
In the standard box you will get the following coils:

• Unicoil 0.2Ω mesh (preinstalled) - rated for use between 55-60W
  • Unicoil 1.0Ω - rated for use between 10-15W

You can also use the other coils in the Unicoil range:

• Unicoil 0.3Ω mesh - rated for use between 30-40W
  • Unicoil 0.5Ω mesh - rated for use between 20-25W
  • Unicoil RBA (DIY single coil) - 5-40W

The stock coils and the RBA coil are all press fit, and they push into the bottom of the pod. All of the Unicoil range, except the new 0.2Ω coil, have a screw on airflow control ring. It’s important to note that you need to keep this removable AFC ring to put onto new coils.

Dual Coil RBA
The Dual Coil RBA is essentially a dual coil postless deck that sits on top of an ‘L’ shaped pod. The pod itself holds 3.2ml of liquid. You wick your coils with the cotton hanging down into the pod slightly, then the L shape creates pressure on the liquid feeding your cotton. I was a little sceptical of the wicking method, but I found it worked fine. I had my cotton hanging down not too far and experienced no wicking issues.

Filling the Dual Coil RBA tank is done via a fill port on the top of the rear of the pod section. The fill port is fine for small nozzles, but larger nozzles can be a bit of a pain. The fill port is sealed with a rubber bung.

The top cap slides onto the base and has two notches which you have to line up to ensure your airflow holes are positioned correctly.

The outer part of the top cap turns to let you adjust your airflow. The outer cap has two cyclops cutouts on either side, but the inner cap has three holes on either side, which you can shut off to achieve your desired airflow. The cap turns very smoothly when adjusting the airflow.

On top is an 810 drip tip, which is removable.

The inside of the top cap is relatively narrow, cutting the chamber space down and directing the airflow directly onto the coils. This means you want to keep your two coils quite close together to avoid touching the top cap. The reduced chamber also makes it perfectly viable to install a larger single coil instead of a dual coil, but I haven’t tried this yet so cannot say how it vapes with a single coil.

I like the way the chamber is designed, the airflow is really directed onto the coils.

510 Connection
The 510 connection plate is quite a simple accessory. It is shaped the same as the pod so it fits snugly on the top of the device. Once installed you can attach any atomiser which has a 510 connection. It has the same magnet as the pod and once slotted in place there is no wiggle or movement.

Performance
Pod & Coils
As I mentioned above, filling the pod can be a bit of a pain when using chunkier nozzles. Needle nose nozzles are fine, but anything bigger can spill over due to the size of the fill port.

Installing the coils is quite straightforward, just pressing the coil into the base of the pod. You do need to line up the straight parts on the coil base

I tried the 0.2Ω Mesh Unicoil first, as I haven’t tried this one before. This is the only coil which you don’t need to attach to the removable airflow control ring, as it has a fixed airflow. Rated for use between 55-60W, I went straight in at 60W. The flavour is really nice, and the airflow is open and airy. I found that the coil does use juice quite quickly, so you will find yourself filling up the pod quite often.

Next I tried the 0.3Ω Mesh Unicoil, which is rated for use between 30-40W. Even on the lower end of the recommended wattage the flavour is great on this coil. With a fully open airflow it is slightly more restrictive than the 0.2Ω coil, and in all honesty, I prefer this coil over the 0.2Ω one. An added bonus is that running at 30W is better on the juice consumption and battery drain too.

The 0.5Ω coil is rated for use between 20-25W. At 20W the flavour from this coil is very impressive for such a low wattage. Not quite as good as the 0.3Ω coil but still very nice. I’d say the airflow is quite similar to the 0.3Ω coil, but it’s a slightly cooler vape.

Finally the 1.0Ω coil, which is rated for use between 10-15W, is a MTL coil. Using the screw on airflow control ring you can adjust the airflow from a restricted direct lung vape down to a fairly tight mouth to lung vape. The flavour is good on this coil, but not quite great. It is still a very usable coil though.

RDTA
I used the provided coils, which were already cut to the correct length, so installing them was very straight forward; unscrew, drop them into the deck, screw them down. You can dry fire the coils directly on the Origin X. I kept the coils close together in the centre of the deck due to the way the airflow channels restrict the amount of room you have in the chamber.

Wicking can be a bit tricky to get the cotton down into the tank and a lot of thinning of the tails was needed. Once I had the cotton down through the holes it was just poking into the tank.

Airflow is a loose direct lung draw when fully open and can be cut down to a slightly restrictive direct lung draw.

The flavour provided is great, I was running it at the maximum 60W and I cannot fault the flavour at all. The only issue is running at 60W does hit the battery, so you’re not going to be getting a full day's vape from a single 18650 battery.

Wicking was fine, with no dry hits at all.

The deck that sits above the tank is essentially the same size as a wasp nano. Fitting dual coils in here and the flavour produced is seriously impressive.

RBA Coil
The RBA kit comes with the RBA coil, a 510 connector for testing resistance and dry firing your coil, a Ni80 spaced wire coil rated between 18-23W, cotton and some spare screws, o-rings and a little screwdriver; everything you need to get up and running with the RBA coil.

The deck is small but not difficult to build on. you just unscrew the Phillips screws, place the coil legs between the screw and little barrier, and tighten down. A quick snip of the excess legs and ready to wick.

You can use the included 510 connector to dry fire the coil, and check the coil resistance. While the coil shouldn’t have any hotspots, being a spaced coil, it is well worth checking the resistance and making sure there are no shorts etc.

I didn’t use the included cotton on the RBA coil as I generally prefer to use cotton squares, but once you have fed the cotton through the coil, thinned out quite a bit and trimmed to length, it is easier to wet the cotton with a little liquid and then position in the little channels running down the side. Then wet the wick and coil and screw the top of the RBA coil in place.

You will then need to replace the 510 connector with the removable airflow control ring before popping the RBA coil into the base of the pod.

The flavour on the RBA coil is good, it’s not great, but not poor. I’d say it matches the flavour of the 1.0Ω coil, so is a good alternative to the stock MTL coils. It wicks fine, but the key is to thin out the cotton tails quite a bit.

Verdict
When I tried the original Origin my negative points were that the removable drip tip was not a standard 510 connection, the glossy panels were a fingerprint magnet and the airflow couldn’t be adjusted easily once the pod was installed.

On the Origin X the pod has a fixed drip tip, which I don’t mind on a pod. It is comfortable to use and there is no way to lose it when it is fixed. Just something to bear in mind as some may prefer a removable drip tip option.

The panels on my carbon fibre version look great and don’t attract fingerprints. There was a carbon fibre version on the original Origin too and for the matt finish alone I think it is the best option to go for.

The airflow cannot be adjusted once the pod is in place, due to it being located on the bottom of the coils, but it’s easier to pop the Origin X pod out to adjust than it is on the original Origin.

The swapping of the pod to the top of the device was a good decision, it just makes things simpler like refilling and swapping out coils.

All of the stock coils perform brilliantly. The 510 connection plate is a nice addition. Obviously you are going to be limited by the 60W maximum output, but a mouth to lung tank on here is going to be a great option. The Dual Coil RBA deck is a great addition too, but you have to work below the 60W maximum output, so that’s something to think about. Offering anything above 60W on a single 18650 battery wouldn’t be worth it anyway, but if you can work with that limitation then it’s nice to have the option of adding the deck.

My only criticism is the pod fill ports being so small. A larger fill port would make filling the pod so much easier. Also, locking the device with three clicks not only locks the adjustment button but also locks the fire button. I would prefer to leave the fire button unlocked as you can just turn off the device when putting it away in a pocket or bag.

Overall, the Origin X feels like a more complete version of the Origin. It’s nice to have an AIO be released with all of the extras available too and not promised and dangled like a carrot at launch.

Even if you weren’t interested in the 510 connection plate or the Dual Coil RBA deck, as an AIO pod device this is a very solid choice. You have a range of coils which all perform great and span DTL and MTL vaping. The RBA coil offers a rebuildable option for restricted DTL and MTL vaping too, and although the deck is small on the RBA Unicoil it is much better to build on than postless style RBA coil decks that I have used on other pod AIO’s.

I thought the Origin was a great AIO, the Origin X is an almost perfect device in my opinion. If the fill ports were bigger and you could just lock the adjustment button it would be perfect.

Pros
  • Really simple to use AIO
  • Optional rebuildable extras for more advanced users
  • Dual Coil RBA section performs great
  • Increased maximum wattage over original Origin
  • Feels nice in hand, nice form factor
  • Excellent build quality
  • Excellent coil performance
  • Nice range of coil resistances available spanning DTL to MTL
Cons
  • Not able to lock adjustment button without locking fire button
  • Small fill port holes, can create problems with larger nozzles

Thanks for reading and thanks to OXVA for sending me the Origin X for review.

VU Sponsors