Become a Patron!

OXVA Unibox Kit Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

OXVA must be a very busy place to work, hot on the heels of the Vativ mod kit is the Unibox mod and mod kit.

Apart from the ability to switch between pod system and 510 mod, the Vativ mod was quite simple in regards to features. This isn’t the case with the Unibox – there’s a lot going on with this mod with IP68 protection, a battery rating function and mod customization using the Unitool in-browser app.

DSC00613.jpg
More Images are here

What do you get?

• UNIBOX Mod
  • Unione PnM Tank (fitted with 0.15ohm UNIPLUS Coil)
  • 0.3ohm UNIPLUS Coil
  • Bubble Glass
  • Type-C Cable
First impressions

This isn’t what I expect an IP68 mod to look like, the Unibox is an all metal design apart from the leather grip – it’s very different from the Aegis style of IP67/68 mods, which is surprising when you consider that the Unibox was designed by Justin Lai, who also designed the Aegis range.

On a personal level, I wouldn’t have chosen the blue to gold fade color scheme that I was sent, but at least it gives me something to match the few gold atomizers that are in my collection – of course there are other more subtle color schemes available.

One constant feeling I have about single and dual 18650 mods is “why didn’t they make it a 21700 mod?” and that’s exactly how I feel about this mod, unless making it IP68 takes up a lot of room, then it looks big enough for a 21700.

Overall, it’s nicely ergonomic and feels well made, from the all Zinc Alloy construction, to the clicky buttons and the rubber sealed screw-in battery cap.

The maximum atomizer size seems to be about 28mm – my Fat Rabbit RTA fits on with zero overhang and that’s 28.3mm.

The 510 is slightly raised, so there is a tiny gap – however there is also a tiny lip around the top of the mod which makes the gap almost invisible from mod angles. The raised 510 should prevent scratching the top of the mod.

DSC00604.jpg

Chipset

The mod has the following modes: wattage, bypass, voltage, temp control, variable power curve and battery rating.

From the mod you can lock/unlock the up and down buttons, change the UI color, lock/unlock resistance and clear the puff count.

DSC00605.jpg
Battery rating mode

This feature gives a rating from 0 to 10000, with 10000 representing a Sony C6, according to the manual “The rate is based on the battery’s current, internal resistance and performance of the cell.” My year old and very well used Molicel P26A scored 9545.

While I would have liked to see more specific stats on my battery, this feature may be useful when working out of your battery is dying or not performing as advertised.

Note: the battery test does require an atomizer and it will fire for three seconds in bypass mode, so make sure your atomizer has some juice in it and has a suitable build.

Unitool app

Unitool images are here

To use the Unitool app, download/run the exe file and connect your mod via the supplied USB type-C cable, which leads to one minor issue - the USB port is on the bottom of the mod, so you have to put your mod on its side when connected to the PC, seeing that a lot of the app functions actually require a juiced up atomizer to be attached, this is a recipe for leaks.

The first screen is the menu screen that will confirm if your mod is connected or not, from here you have access to:

• Power mode - you can choose from soft/normal/hard power settings, view live stats for power/voltage/current/battery/temp while vaping, you can also change the power increments from 0.1w 0.5w and 1.0w – this might seem like a minor thing, but for MTL the tiny increments can be a big deal.
  • Temp control mode - to be honest, I know nothing about temp control so I won’t pretend to understand the settings here. You can disable certain coil materials from the mod menu here and perform other temp control related tasks.
  • Voltage mode - pretty much the same as power mode, but with voltage instead of wattage. You can change the voltage increments from 0.1V, 0.5V and 1.0V
  • Power curve mode - this is where you can set up a power curve and send it to the mod. I liked this one – I don’t usually bother with power curves because they are annoying to set up on a tiny mod screen, they are much easier to deal with on a PC.
  • Bypass and battery rating mode - the same as the battery rating feature on the mod plus live stats.
  • Configuration - you can upload (tiny) background images for the mod UI, adjust the maximum puff time, sleep time, screen off time and screen brightness.
  • Firmware upgrade - exactly what it says.
  • DIY kit - this mode is similar to Steam Engine and has calculations for Ohm’s law, coil wrapping and battery drain.
So, no this isn’t a replacement for Escribe – but it is very user friendly and does let you customize things much more easily than on your mod.

My version of the Unitool app is marked V1.01, so I will reaching out to OXVA with a wish list of features that I’d like to see in their next version, personally I want to be able to remove elements of the UI – I just want power/ohms/battery to be shown.

Tank

This isn’t a conventional tank – it’s made up of two pieces, an adapter that screws into your 510 and a 4ml glass/metal pod that is secured magnetically.

To fill the tank, you have to remove the pod from the adapter and remove a rubber bung on the bottom of the pod.

There is no airflow adjustment ring, so to adjust the airflow you rotate the pod within the adapter which opens/closes an airflow slot, due to the strength of the magnets (OXVA seem to love strong magnets) this solution feels much better than the airflow control ring on most atomizers.

Performance

This is directly copy/paste from my review of the Vativ – as the tank and coils are the same

• 0.15 ohm KA1 mesh this coil is rated 70-80w, and performs well from 70w. The draw is quite open, giving good vapor production and nice flavor. The longevity of this coil impressed me, I put a lot of sweet juice through this coil and it seemed to last forever, without any major loss of flavor or leaks.
  • 0.3 ohm KA1 mesh this coil is rated 30-40w, and like the 0.15 ohm coil, it does well from the lower end of its recommended power range. While the 0.15 ohm coil is good – this one is the star of the show, it has a medium restricted DL draw which gives outstanding flavor, especially with fruits, as with the other coil, this coil lasted well and was leak free.
Conclusion

As a kit, the tank performs well – I’d prefer top-fill, but that’s not a huge deal. Most importantly the coils give decent flavor and last well.

As for the mod, the Unibox is impressive. You could use it without ever touching the Unitool app and it would still be a great mod with good ergonomics, solid build quality and IP68 protection.

However, the customization options via the app make things much more fun and interesting.

Disclaimer

The Unibox Kit was provided for the purposes of this review by OXVA.

VU Sponsors