Become a Patron!

OXVA Vativ Super Mod Kit Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

I’m not sure where to start with this review- the OXVA Vativ Super Mod Kit is a starter kit with a single 18650 mod and pod-mod style tank, but it also has a regular pod that slides into place like a pod-mod.

DSC00132.jpg

More Images are here

First impressions

Initially, the Vativ doesn’t seem that strange, you have a regular mod with a 510 connection, and a tank with a magnetic fit system that attaches via a 510 adapter – it’s a similar concept to the Drag X Plus and Drag X Plus Pro Edition. But in addition to the tank you also have a pod – to attach the pod you remove a U-shape section from the top of the mod and slide the pod onto the mod – this is something that I haven’t seen before.

Apart from the slide out section the actual mod is quite conventionally designed, with a C-frame battery door, clicky and responsive buttons and a clear screen. Personally, I’d prefer a completely logo and brand free mod, but it isn’t really over the top and looks quite nice.

What impressed me is that everything fits in really securely, the pod base slides into place and is held in place with spring-loaded ball-bearings, the actual pod is held in place with three strong magnets.

DSC00141.jpg

What do you get?

• 1× VATIV 100w Mod
  • 1× Unione Tank (4ml with straight glass)
  • 1× VATIV Pod (4.5ml)
  • 1× 0.15ohm Uniplus Coil(pre-installed)
  • 1× 0.3ohm Uniplus Coil
  • 1× Slide Rail Base
  • 1× Bubble Glass (5ml)
  • 1× Accessory Bag/Type-C Cable/User Manual
Tank vs Pod

This seems like a very obvious comparison to make, as they use the same coils

The tank design is a little strange, it’s a magnetic fit pod style tank which connects via a 510 adapter, airflow is adjusted by rotating the actual pod, rather than an airflow control ring. I’m not sure why they didn’t go with a conventional stock-coil tank, as this would have allowed them to have a regular top-fill cap and airflow ring. It’s not terrible and it does perform just fine, it’s just a slightly strange choice.

The pod is much more to my liking, the dual side airflow adjustment is nice and allows more precise adjustments than on the tank, and has top-fill with a rubber bung. The drip-tip setup is strange, because it uses a sleeve type drip-tip, but some regular 510 drip-tips will fit as well.

One other thing that the pod and tank have in common, is that they both make the whole setup quite tall – the actual mod height is similar to many single 18650 mods, but the tank and pod are quite large due to them needing to include airflow control.

Overall, for aesthetic and convenience reasons, I found myself reaching for the pod rather than the tank almost every time.

DSC00143.jpg

Mod

Unlike some pod-mod systems that can be used as a regular mod, this is a regular mod.

It has a smart mode that restricts you to the recommend wattage for your stock-coils when using the pod or tank, a regular power mode, voltage mode and VPC mode – this is a power curve mode that works on percentages rather than actual wattage – the only thing lacking is a temp control mode.

The Vativ is claimed to have 100w from an 18650, which will probably result in a battery life of about 5 minutes, however the boost chip function is impressive – it hits well beyond the battery level that I would usually be swapping out the battery.

Ignoring the fact that it’s part of a kit, the mod stands well on its own merits.

How does it perform?

Firstly, it doesn’t really matter if you’re using the tank or pod – the coil is the same, I removed the coil from the tank, put it in the pod with the same juice and got exactly the same vape – which one you use is going to be down to purely personal preference.

• 0.15 ohm KA1 mesh this coil is rated 70-80w, and performs well from 70w. The draw is quite open, giving good vapor production and nice flavor. The longevity of this coil impressed me, I put a lot of sweet juice through this coil and it seemed to last forever, without any major loss of flavor or leaks.
  • 0.3 ohm KA1 mesh this coil is rated 30-40w, and like the 0.15 ohm coil, it does well from the lower end of its recommended power range. While the 0.15 ohm coil is good – this one is the star of the show, it has a medium restricted DL draw which gives outstanding flavor, especially with fruits, as with the other coil, this coil lasted well and was leak free.
What could be improved?

• Pod + tank – it’s nice to have a choice, but once you’ve decided which is your favorite, the other is likely to remain in the box. I’d like to have seen (for example) DL pod + MTL tank, just something offering a little variety.
  • It’s a little tall with both the tank and pod.
  • I prefer my vapes to be logo/branding free.
That’s about it – coils are good, mod is good, everything works – there’s not much to complain about here.

Conclusion

This is everything that a starter-kit should be. The pod/tank + mod with smart mode is perfect for a new vaper, and the mod is more than good enough to use with rebuildable atomizers if needed.

Disclaimer

The Vativ Super Mod Kit was provided for the purposes of this review by OXVA.

VU Sponsors