Become a Patron!

Pale Repose (synth-Pipe Tobacco Blend)

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello VU! It's been far too long since I've gathered up the mustard to post a recipe online, so I figured I'd break my dry spell with a little something that I've been hooked on for the better part of two months now. It's a Pipe Tobacco, using synthetic tobacco flavorings for those that either aren't interested in, or don't have NETs available.

Here goes.

Pale Repose

(INW) Vanilla for Pipe - 5%
(FW) Coumarin Pipe Tobacco - 3.5%
(SM, TFA?, ecx) Captain Tobacco - 0.5%
(TFA) Vanilla Swirl - 1.5%
(CAP) Cereal #27 - 1.5%
(FA) Oakwood - 0.5%
(FA) Almond - 1%
(FVH) Marshmallow - 0.5%
(ECX) Tobacco Absolute - 1 drop per 10ml
(ECX) Ethyl Maltol - 2 drops per 10ml
Explanation time!

INW Vanilla for Pipe & FW Coumarin Pipe Tobacco - I've always been a fan of the light muskiness that comes with pipe flavorings. Coumarin was one of the first juices I ever got when I started out, after all. Finding INW's Tobacco line was a blessing and a curse at the same time - Vanilla for Pipe is smashing out of the bottle with exactly what I was looking for, and it started off on the path to this.

Both are relatively high in percentages. This is because of how light these flavors are, and how quickly they can get covered up and smothered into oblivion. Coumarin, however, turns tart and slightly "too much" at too high a percentage - this ratio works the best in this recipe, I've found. Substitutions? If you know of any, let me know, because there isn't much out there that I've found that does a great Pipe Tobacco job.

Captain Tobacco - I don't know what to label this as, manufacturer-wise. I bought it from ecigExpress under their Signature Tobacco line, so I want to say it's TFA, but I couldn't find it elsewhere. The only other one I could find was Seedman, and I have an old bottle of that - in comparison, they very well may be the same flavoring, but there's a bit of a difference to me - I can't feel confident listing it earnestly as SM. Head over to ecx and give it a try - or if anyone knows who else makes this flavoring, clue a clueless guy like me in!

Anywho, it's strong and noticeable. Half a percent is more than enough to flavor the blend without overpowering it. And this will overpower if you go too heavy on it. Good, flavorful notes to add to the already-established foundation of Pipes.

TFA Vanilla Swirl - Helps coax a sweet vanilla note already found in the Vanilla for Pipe to be a bit more prominent, without smothering. Gives a little bit of a smoothing over of some of the unintended high notes that might be in there. I guess it's optional, but that's all up to personal preferences. Substitutions? You could go with a similar amount of FA Vanilla Bourbon, maybe Tahiti? I haven't tried, as I've got a metric ton of Swirl on hand, but those substitutions very well may do fine.

CAP Cereal #27 - Adds a subtle nutty, oat-y, substance-level flavor note to help pull things together. Not prominent, more of a compliment. Anything over 2% is going to make it a kind of funky-tasting cereal vape, so use sparingly. Only looking to compliment, not overshadow. No substitutions are coming to mind, but I'm sure there's something out there.

FA Oakwood - I use this in so, so much. This small amount adds a smokiness, a gritty note that works well in the mix. Makes it feel a little more "tobacco-y." No substitutions that I can think of. Maybe TFA Red Oak Tobacco? But probably not, that's a different profile altogether.

FA Almond, FVH Marshmallow - These two are little kicker notes that I've found work really, really well in here. The Almond is light and barely noticeable fresh, but will come out a little more with steeping. Marshmallow smooths everything out a bit and helps compliment the sweetness of the vanillas. Optional, sure, and I'm sure anything except Toasted Almonds would work well as a kicker note.

Tobacco Absolute and EM - You should have a pretty good handle on how these tickle your nose hairs. I like the TA on the light side, but wouldn't think of making this recipe without it. EM helps smooth things out a bit more, but these two are totally up to you - completely optional.

---

So tharr ya'arr. I MTL this at 50/50, 12mg all-day, every day. It's my go-to Tobacco juice, now, pushing my other long-time favorite tobacco blends to lower podiums. It's one that I find myself wanting to pull out that gimmicky pipe-stem drip tip to rapidly chuff on it, huff a bit and let the vape linger in my mouth as though I'm chiefing down on a cigar. How's that flavorful wording for ya?

If you're in the market for something that leaves a pleasant linger in the room, something non-offensive and easy to puff on all day, give it a whirl and do it to it!

---

As usual, my disclaimer:

This recipe is now property of the internet. Do whatever you want with it, I don't care, I'm releasing it to the ether. If you can make money off it, cool. I don't require any notification, permissions, royalties, nothing like that - this is my baby that I formulated from a single ingredient idea, and now it's a big boy and can fend for itself. Treat him well, internet folk.

Last edited:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dang - I forgot the steeping stuff.

Shake and Vape - Good. It's dang good as a S&V.

3-5 Day Steep - Even better. Almond comes out a little more, the vanillas calm down a little bit, and the whole thing "feels" a bit more complete.

1-1.5 Week Steep - Here's your Goldilocks zone. Beautifully blended, everything's had a chance to mature and mix appropriately. This is my goal for new batches.

2+ Week Steep - Very little change from above.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi @burley ! Thanks for sharing!! Looks good!
Captain Tobacco - I don't know what to label this as, manufacturer-wise. I bought it from ecigExpress under their Signature Tobacco line, so I want to say it's TFA, but I couldn't find it elsewhere.
I am just looking for a little clarification on what you actually used for the Captain Tobacco. I read what you shared in your flavor notes and headed over to ECX. They do NOT have a "Captain" in their Signature line (which is indeed TFA by their own admission). They DO have Black Honey (which is TFA's offering for Captain Black), and TFA's Black & Mild (which TFA is now calling Cigarillo on their own website due to potential naming infringement) and all TFAs are made in the USA. ECX also DOES offer a Captain Tobacco in their Tobacco Express line (which is their tobacco portion of their Flavors Express line) and it is indeed made in China (so God knows who makes this; it could be Seedman, Hansen, Super Concentrates, or ???).

Do you still have your original ECX bottle? How is it actually labeled? Is it Signature line or Tobacco/Flavors Express line?

Thank you for any clarification you can offer. :D

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-e-li...xpress/captain-flavor-by-tobacco-express.html - that's the guy right there, Tobacco Express. Like I said, I want to say it's Seedman's. I spent the better part of an hour yesterday diving into the depths to find out where it came from, and SM is the only other brand with that name listed. I'll have to dig out the old bottle of Seedman's and compare directly against the TE Captain. I'll probably do that tonight.

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Have barely any of these concentrates but like the mix. Interesting use of cereal 27. I was actually thinking of using it in tobacco myself so glad I read your notes about the percentages :)

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have barely any of these concentrates but like the mix. Interesting use of cereal 27. I was actually thinking of using it in tobacco myself so glad I read your notes about the percentages :)
Thank you. Yeah at a lower ratio, 27 really adds a nice mid-level layer of body to a tobacco. Some tobaccos, that is. Stuff like FA Black Perique or... I dunno, TFA M-Type and all that, the really prominently flavored tobaccos ... can't recommend those, per se. It also doesn't do well with TFA Black Honey Tobacco. I waste a lot of material in my mixing station, and I've made a lot of bin-juice. As in, I mix, I smell, I vape, it goes in the bin.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sounds GREAT!

Makes me wish I was set up to DIY

VU Sponsors