Become a Patron!

PEEKing at Clones.. Tanks and Drip atomizers

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So everyone likes bling! Problem is, bling costs bucks! Lotsa bucks. So how do you get your bling on the cheap? Clones! Clones are great! Kind of like try before you buy authentic. Or maybe the clone is good enough. Up to you of course.

One major thing though. Not all clones are equal!
This is mostly for the new vapers just getting started *and maybe some others that don't think about these things*, but when buying a clone atomizer, make sure the description states, specifically, with no uncertainty, the term PEEK INSULATOR. So what is a peek insulator?

PEEK is a semicrystalline thermoplastic with excellent mechanical and chemical resistance properties that are retained to high temperatures

So what? So PEEK does not shrink and is made for high temperature. Plastic and rubber are not. In other words, plastic and rubber can break down under high heat (like what is coming off your coil). This can cause cracks, tears, shrinkage and shorts. Shorts are bad. Shorts are what make atomizers go BOOM. Boom is bad.

Anyway.. point is.. make sure your clones come with peek. They might cost a couple dollars more, but well worth it, since peek will also not wear out as fast as cheaper insulators.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So everyone likes bling! Problem is, bling costs bucks! Lotsa bucks. So how do you get your bling on the cheap? Clones! Clones are great! Kind of like try before you buy authentic. Or maybe the clone is good enough. Up to you of course.

One major thing though. Not all clones are equal!
This is mostly for the new vapers just getting started *and maybe some others that don't think about these things*, but when buying a clone atomizer, make sure the description states, specifically, with no uncertainty, the term PEEK INSULATOR. So what is a peek insulator?

PEEK is a semicrystalline thermoplastic with excellent mechanical and chemical resistance properties that are retained to high temperatures

So what? So PEEK does not shrink and is made for high temperature. Plastic and rubber are not. In other words, plastic and rubber can break down under high heat (like what is coming off your coil). This can cause cracks, tears, shrinkage and shorts. Shorts are bad. Shorts are what make atomizers go BOOM. Boom is bad.

Anyway.. point is.. make sure your clones come with peek. They might cost a couple dollars more, but well worth it, since peek will also not wear out as fast as cheaper insulators.
i like clones in fact some are just as good as the original great reminder

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A more important thing to take into account is the material the atty itself is made of.
Since China is not committed to any standards and care more about price then safety, their brass is riddled with lead.
Some types of colors can be hazardous too.
So if you're buying a clone, get a non colored SS clone and nothing else.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A more important thing to take into account is the material the atty itself is made of.
Since China is not committed to any standards and care more about price then safety, their brass is riddled with lead.
Actually, I would think a mod blowing up in your face would be more important to take into consideration, rather than a 2 to 8% lead content in an alloy. Considering crystal wine goblets have lead in them and nobody has died yet. Lets file this under the popcorn lung section. In other words, there is no way in hell, in the real world, you could extract enough lead from brass into your body to accumulate to a harmful level, even if you swallowed the atomizer whole. Now if you ate them like potato chips.. maybe.. but we are talking in the real world. And I think if you were swallowing atomizers, lead content would be the least of your worries.
Keeping in mind, I worked with lead daily for 5 years straight, and never accumulated enough to show up in my annual lead test.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, I would think a mod blowing up in your face would be more important to take into consideration, rather than a 2 to 8% lead content in an alloy. Considering crystal wine goblets have lead in them and nobody has died yet. Lets file this under the popcorn lung section. In other words, there is no way in hell, in the real world, you could extract enough lead from brass into your body to accumulate to a harmful level, even if you swallowed the atomizer whole. Now if you ate them like potato chips.. maybe.. but we are talking in the real world. And I think if you were swallowing atomizers, lead content would be the least of your worries.
Keeping in mind, I worked with lead daily for 5 years straight, and never accumulated enough to show up in my annual lead test.
that is some funny shit and true

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks buddy great advice

You didn't mention where this is located ...bottom circle between the positive post and the deck
Example below
geekvape-tsunami-decks-1-973x579.jpg

There usually another one on around the pin at the bottom of the tank too

510_pin_schematic.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own a lot of authentics, but also do have a fair share of clones. Some of the clones you would not know they were unless you was told, and if I was sold one in a shop I would not think twice about it being authentic.

You do have to be careful though that things are safe of course, I am all for saving money but if it can become dangerous it is not worth it. As far as I know everything I have uses PEEK insulators.
I tend to use authentics on mech mods though, only because I have bought them to match the mods, so if there ever was a problem with an insulator it would very likely be on a regulated device.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Great reminder!

If I may add a bit....
Its worth taking your attys apart periodically to clean them and check the insulators for any wear. Even PEEK can break down over time and regular maintenance can help to identify potential problems....besides...who doesnt like that "brand new atty" feel all over again!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't trust anything coming out of China.For all I know they are making shit out of decomissioned nuculear subs.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't trust anything coming out of China.For all I know they are making shit out of decomissioned nuculear subs.
I did lol at the decommisioned nuclear sub comment, I am wondering though what about authentic things that are coming out of China?

A lot (nearly all) of my Authentics are also made in China, are these going to be any safer than the better quality clones we can get hold of?

VU Sponsors