Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Proton Plex Kit by Innokin

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone Pizza Dave here, delivering a review of the Proton kit by Innokin. I am far from the first one to get my hands on one of these for review, but it is better late than never! The Innokin Proton is a 235w, dual 18650 device, jammed into a compact body, the Aethon chipset, and the kit comes complete with the Plex tank. Since this has been around for quite some time I am not going to dive into every option in full, but more or less am just going to give my opinions of each aspect. Let’s take a look shall we?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Innokin for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Innokin Proton 235w mod
  • 1 Plex Tank
  • 1 .36-ohm coil
  • 1 .15-ohm coil
  • 1 Spare 5ml bubble glass
  • 1 Spare parts bag
  • 1 Micro USB cable
  • Paperwork

Available in White/Rainbow, Gray/Blue, Red/Black, and possibly a few other colors as the internet suggests?

Out of Box
2lU8889.jpg

Stock Shot
UHZBQh5.jpg

OPERATION /UI

Innokin put some solid thought into the Aethon chipset of the Proton. It is intuitive, simple, and looks great as well. The joystick is a little wonky to get used to but it serves the purpose just fine. Often times I would need to use my finger nails to scroll down or else I would press the joystick in my accident. It isn’t quite as nice as a Yihi joystick, but we are also talking about a pretty big spread in cost, so it is understandable. The manual that comes with this kit guides you through the need to know stuff, but even without a manual, this device is a breeze to get used to. The menus are laid out in a clean manner and everything is clearly labeled.

Something I always sneak into the operation section is battery installation, since hey…. can’t operate without batteries, right? I felt extra obligated to bring up battery installation on this one because I don’t like how they executed the hinging bottom door. Mine feels very sloppy and fragile and leaves me with little confidence of it lasting for an extended period of time.

HOW IT VAPES

This device has been hyped up heavily from Youtube Reviewers this year. With that being said, I entered this one with a very fine toothed comb. What I discovered is, for the most part, it does warrant the praise it receives. The power it provides is solid and using the device is a great experience all around. Since I am not a TC vapor, my testing was kept to a minimum here again. However, I did do some quick testing and found it wasn’t dialed in from the factory. I set mine to TC-SS, and with a round 24g SS build in a rda I was getting dry hits with a lagging ramp down. I felt the vapor getting lighter before I went into a full-blown dry hit. I am no expert in TC, but it feels just a little off, so I think there is hope as long as you dial in the proper TCR for it.

I will say that the majority of my testing was done with the included Plex tank. I tested both the single core and tri-core mesh coils and found that I like the tri-core a bit more than single. The flavor popped a bit more and I preferred the more restricted draw it provided. The single core mesh coils aren’t far behind in the flavor department, but it is noticeable. All in all, I would rate this tank in the middle of the road for mesh tanks based on a few things. Flavor is decent from these coils, but there are many out right now that are equal or better than these plex coils. One thing that was most infuriating about the Scion II tank is the refill port. It is a slide to fill system, but the opening is too small and often times liquid would pool up on top and not get into the tank. It was messy, time consuming, and annoying. Another thing I didn’t like about this tank is the power required to get performance. Both coils require 90-110w to reach their full potential. This uses up more battery life when compared to more efficient atomizers. It also creates more heat than I like. The mod itself was getting very warm when vaping this with the triple core coil. The tank does have some good things going for it. For one, it looks sharp, and is available in some nice color options. Secondly, I never experienced flooding or gurgling. Lastly, the coils are on par with the best mesh out there for overall life. I had mine for 50-60mls with minimal degradation of flavor. It is a decent tank to make this a complete kit, but I wouldn’t go out and buy one by itself.

TANK PROS

• Nice Styling
  • Good flavor
  • Good coil life
TANK CONS
  • Fill port is too small
  • Tank can get hot when chain vaping
  • Requires higher wattage

PHOTO GALLERY

eHsug58.jpg

PGYMq9m.jpg

bMmIDLp.jpg

C1aUod9.jpg

miFqqy3.jpg

m4bMlVp.jpg

4pq71vM.jpg

ohvZDDk.jpg

GVqqHC8.jpg

554Q4mz.jpg

zt2EYWT.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

So, I got my Proton late. I already had a chance to see what other people thought of it and the general consensus is this is one of the best mods of the year. While I do like this, and it made my best of 2018, I have some reservations. Some of the things that put a bad taste in my mouth are things like the battery door, which I feel is poorly done and doesn’t have a durable feel to it. Another ugly thing on this mod is the printed Proton logo on the firing bar. It just looks tacky. Lastly, the joystick isn’t as well done as it is on Yihi mods. I don’t know why theirs feels so much better, but this one needs work. I fumbled around with it quite a bit until I figured out how to toggle it with finger tips and finger nails rather than using it like a thumb stick. One thing I would have liked to see is a centered 510 pin. The whole design is very symmetrical, but then the tank sits off-center and ruins the aesthetic is has going for it. Other than these couple of cons I really enjoy this kit. It is small and feels really great in hand. The screen is beautiful and the way they did the menu system is damn near perfect in my opinion. I love the styling of the mod (other than the logo on the firing button), and the tank looks great as well. I feel a lot more positivity on this one and the pros outshine the cons and I will continue to use this one for a while.

OVEN TEST

If this were to accidentally go into the pizza oven would I go out and get another? 50/50. There are some really great dual battery mods that have come out this year, so the competition is stiff. It would come down to price and availability in the moment.

PROS

• Compact design
  • Good feeling fire bar
  • Great menu system
  • Looks great
  • Screen is not prone to prints and scratches

CONS

• Battery door is sloppy
  • Joystick takes getting used to
  • Mod got hot when chain vaping at 110w
  • 510 pin is off-center

Thank you everyone for reading my review and thank you to Innokin for sending it my way to review. These kits are all over the interweb and going for about $65-75.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item extensively for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used all products enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying them and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors