Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Mod Review - The Centaurus by Lost Vape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and welcome to another review. Today I will be going over the Centaurus, DNA250C mod by Lost Vape. This device has been creating a lot of excitement, mostly because it’s been awhile since we saw something like this come from Lost Vape. Many have mixed feelings regarding what they did, but one of the biggest things I want to talk about is how this is different from what I would call, it’s predecessor, the Paranormal. These have a lot of similarities, but the Centaurus does change up a few things that maybe you didn’t like about the Paranormal? I will cover this top to bottom, so let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Lost Vape for review.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET
  • Lost Vape Centaurus Mod

• Micro-USB Cable

• Micro-USB to USB convertor (for using as battery bank)

• Paperwork
Available in black, stainless, and gunmetal frames with several different accent panels. These include different soft panels (leather, ostrich, cowhide, and a few more). They also have accent panels in carbon fiber, stabwood, and abalone shell.

STOCK SHOT
GJkJNk0.jpg

PACKAGING
Nognst4.jpg

OUT OF BOX
2jDDQQf.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Dimensions: 91mm x 55mm x 56mm

Battery: Dual 18650

Power Range: 1-200w

Other features: DNA 250C chipset

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Right out of the gate...packaging. The packaging has changed a little and they went a little cheaper. I am fine with this, as it’s just packaging. However, it felt more special with the old packaging. Felt almost like you were opening up a Rolex box. This is fine, but doesn’t offer that initial anticipation. Now let’s open the box….. Whoa….Old school. One thing about being a reviewer is that each package is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. I received the Stainless Steel framed model, with Carbon Fiber and Cowhide Leather. It looks like an old school Lost Vape mod, and I really dig it. The Stainless finish is brushed, so it isn’t a terrible fingerprint magnet, but it also matches up with polished stainless atomizers. The carbon, or what appears to be some sort of 3d molded plastic, looks really nice to me. Many gripe about the lack of magnets holding it on like the Paranormal had. Yes, the Paranormal looked more clean, but at least the panels are secured in place and don’t wiggle at all. The Cowhide back portion feels great in the hand, and I look forward to seeing how it looks as it is conditioned with the oils and everyday dirt from my hands.

MOD OVERVIEW

Similar to how I covered the Dovpo Mono SQ, I am doing a generalized review of the device covering various topics. I don’t see the point in talking about the 250C chipset because there are literally thousands of videos on this type of chip. It is simple, but offers up lots of configuration adjustment thanks to Evolv software.

PART 1 - Battery Bay - SImilar to the Paranormal, the Centaurus has a hinging battery door. However, they ditched the sliding, hinging action. They replaced it with a hinging door with an actual latch. If you disliked the one on the Paranormal, you may find this to be an improvement.

PART 2 - Atomizers and 510 - This device has an off-center 510 plate and is compatible with atomizers up to 25mm. The plate is secure, and I don’t foresee any issues with this coming loose over time. I’ve never had a Lost Vape device with poorly done 510 threads/plates, especially on more recent models.

PART 3 - Operation - Like I said before and said in previous DNA chipped devices. The DNA250C chip is pretty awesome. It has a ton of adjustments and customizing options. It has some of the best temp control in the business and it keeps things simple. Replay mode is great for those that want to try TC, but not sure about all the details and it just works well.

PART 4 - Overall Feel - Similar to previous Lost Vape devices, such as the Therion or Paranormal, this mod is relatively deep and really fills up the hand. They’ve never been known to be the most ergonomic devices out there, but they just work. One of the most noticeable things that I feel that kind of dropped the ball on is the fire button. It feels super squishy. I’ve had previous DNAs that felt like this (Think Vape Finder), and it kind of bothers me. Like you never really know what the fire button is pressed. I never had issues with misfires or it not firing, it just doesn’t feel that great. All around though, there are no rattles that are significant and the frame feels nice and weighty. It feels like a solid device for sure, and it is something that grew on me the more I used it.

PHOTO GALLERY

Centaurus Album

H1vyeMA.jpg

mMx1t5B.jpg

0t5sCun.jpg

cc0grfN.jpg

6goV6cx.jpg

PS1oUdM.jpg

Last edited:

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS / HOW IT VAPES

The how it vapes portion is kind of silly. It’s a DNA250c. They perform wattage accurately, have lots of variables to dial in the vape, and they do TC amazingly well. Add in Replay mode and Watt Boost and you have two extra modes that totally change up how it performs. Performance is as solid as any other DNA250C device I have used, and it works great. In regard to the device, it does many things well. It looks excellent in my opinion. I wasn’t a fan of that tortoise shell design that wrapped around the back of the Paranormal, so much so that it bothered me more and more over time. I love the color options that they provide as well. I mean, there are three frames and a bunch of accents, so finding one that fits your style shouldn’t be an issue. The mod itself feels super solid in hand and the soft Cowhide has a refined feel that I enjoy as well. There are just a few things I didn’t like. For one, it’s just not that ergonomic. You hold it with a very open hand, and it’s not as comfy as some other dual battery mods out there. Secondly, the squishy fire button is annoying as hell. It works just fine, but feels… meh when pressed. These two things are about the only thing I found I didn’t like about the mod though. They are definitely not deal breakers and it’s a great device.

One thing I know I will be asked is how it stacks up to the Paranormal. Honestly, they are going to perform the same. The Centaurus offers a new look, and shape, but other than that they are very similar. If I were to choose, I would go Centaurus. If I had a Paranormal, I would gladly welcome the new mod into my collection. They check off so many boxes that make a box mod a great box mod, and this is something I will use an absolute ton into the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? Definitely. I really enjoy using it. It’s been a pleasure.

PROS
  • Several color options

• Feels well built and solid

• Performance form the DNA 250C is top notch

• Fits 25mm atomizers with ease

• GIves me kind of a swagger when I use it and show it off (silly pro, but it’s fancy AF)

• Fire button is squishy

Thank you everyone for reading and thank you to Lost Vape for sending this my way for review. If you like this, you will have to get some funds rounded up. The going rate is about $180 US or £146. I am seeing this popping up on a few sites online, but I would assume many more will come.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors