Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - An RTA Review - the COG by Wotofo and SMM

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by to read another one of my reviews. Today I will be going over the Cog MTL RTA by Wotofo and SMM. The Cog is a new mouth to lung rta, yes mouth to lung, by Wotofo. Not something we see very often from them, but with their relationship with Matt from SMM, it makes sense that he brings something new to the table. When I say new, I mean new. This thing is pretty different, with a major clue hidden in the name. Cog, or in layman's terms, the teeth of a gear. The base of this RTA has two gears which rotate as the AFC is turned to adjust the airflow. It’s an RTA, it’s for MTL, and it’s different, so buckle up and let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This was sent to me by Wotofo for review.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET
  • Wotofo Cog MTL RTA

• .8-ohm Ni80 clapton coil

• 1.2-ohm Ni80 regular round coil

• Cotton,

• Tools

• Paperwork

Available in Black, Gold, Stainless, Blue, Gunmetal, Gold, and Rainbow.

STOCK SHOT
Mv4ZORG.jpg

PACKAGING
zi1ryOc.jpg

OUT OF BOX
BJ4CF1I.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Measurements: 22mm wide and 34mm tall (not counting the drip tip or 510 threads)

Capacity: 3ml

Drip Tip Size: 510

Airflow: MTL only

Other features: Bottom airflow with cog system. PCTG (form of plastic) tank material

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Alright, so here we are with the new standard Wotofo box. It has a clear box front made of plastic and is a total bitch to open. Not sure if reviewers are the only ones who deal with it, but it’s not fun. Inside the box, I found a very clean and shiny little atomizer. I really like the overall look. It has a very clear tank section from top to bottom, which is made of a plastic they are calling PCTG. This isn’t a first and has been used by others. It is known to be more durable than other plastics and I don’t suspect it to crack with citrusy or harsher liquids. I like the look it provides, even though it gives the thing a cheaper feel. Upon inspection, I found that the base has a little window that is press fit around the 510 threads. This is neat, as you can see the cogs within the bottom airflow. You can also see if you get residual liquid in there, but more on that later. Just playing around a bit and I found that the AFC clicks into 4 different positions and has an indicator next to different size holes so you know right where it is set. This feels nice, but with a smooth side, gripping it could be better. The tank is top airflow, and quite snug. It consists of a metal inner portion to mate with the chamber. It doesn’t feel that great when opening and closing, but it works. let’s tear it down and look at the inside.

BUILD DECK

The deck on the cog screams MTL through and through. You have a generic two post design with clamps. You aren’t going to be tossing anything larger than 2.5mm in this and you really won’t want to. The clamp system works regardless of how coils are wrapped which is a pro. Simply loosen the clamps, pop the coil in, tighten down, and snip. I placed mine with coil legs on the bottom and pushed down to get it a little close to the airflow at the bottom. I tried it higher up and enjoyed it down just a bit.

Wicking the COG isn’t too terrible. However, no thinning is required for 2 and 2.5mm coils. If you thin it out, you won’t properly stuff the wicking slots and it will leak. The key to success is wicking with fluffed cotton, and having the length about halfway tucked into the wicking holes. It will keep up just fine and won’t leak. Another key to leaking is to follow their instructions in the manual. Basically, you refill, turn upside down for 10 seconds, then flip it over.

AIR FLOW

This is the bread and butter of the Cog, as it’s the only portion of this tank that is innovative. This is a bottom airflow MTL RTA, which has two holes which bring air in past a cog system and then up through a small air flow inlet centered on the bottom of the coil. Basically, there is a gear in the middle that rotates as you spin the AFC. This rotation changes from different hole sizes that are aligned with the bottom airflow of the deck. Wotofo has an excellent photo showing this if interested. What I can say is the system works, and it offers 5 variations of MTL draw. When I say MTL, I really mean MTL. Most MTL atomizers out there have a loose feel that could be considered tight direct lung, but this is MTL through and through. It ranges from medium MTL to tight MTL, so this is only going to be for those who like it tight.

PHOTO GALLERY

qKtLuoR.jpg

q5mdBsu.jpg

PzeFRWe.jpg

wou4uhc.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

It’s built, multiple times, it’s been wicked, multiple times, and it’s been vaped a lot. Where do I stand? Well… I have a love/hate relationship with it. At first, I had some troubles with wicking being too loose and got some serious leaking out of the bottom. Not out of the airflow, but leaking INTO my mod because if leaking happens, it fills the bottom up and leaks around that window and the 510. I filled up the 510 threads of an SQ mono, which I wasn’t thrilled about. Once I got the wicking perfected it was just fine. In regard to flavor, this does provide something solid to talk about there. Putting this up against my two favorite MTL atomizers and it can hold its own and that’s saying a lot when one is a $100 atomizer. In terms of airflow, this is very tight, probably a little tighter than I normally prefer, but in terms of MTL, this is true MTL. The COG thing is alright. I mean, it works, it’s unique, and it totally hits home to what Matt from SMM says all the time. MOST AFCs have various holes on the outside, which then come into the same size hole under the coil. This messes with the pressure of air shooting past the coil. His method keeps the outer holes the same with varying holes under the coil which is the “right” way to adjust air. It makes sense, and I know his exact mindset just by knowing how he views atomizers. The choice of using PCTG is something I am mixed on. On one hand it looks crystal clear and cleans the look up a lot. On the other hand, the plastic makes this feel cheap rather than a quality atomizer. Also, the way the top cap unscrews just feels like garbage. The threads feel rough, the seal is sticky, and it feels like I am using a disposable tank.

So, final thoughts. Like I said right away, I have a love/hate relationship with the COG. When wicked just right, this is a damn good MTL vape. I found it to be top notch with round-wire and clapton coils, it has smooth airflow, and flavor is great for an atomizer of this price point. On the other hand, it feels super cheap and the bottom window looks cool, but actually creates a leak point when things go awry. Plus...you don’t ever get to see this anyway so it is just a gimmick to show off their brainchild. What I can say about the COG though… If you like tight MTL atomizers that have solid flavor and don’t break the bank, this may be just right for you.

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I would pass, but only because I have two other MTL atties that are near and dear to my heart.

PROS
  • Good flavor

• Looks nice and clean

• Innovative airflow system

• Nice color options

CONS
  • Airflow is on the tight side so this is subjective

• Leaky if you don’t NAIL the wicking

• PCTG material makes this feel like a disposable tank

Thank you everyone for reading and thank you to Wotofo for sending this my way for review. I am seeing these only for about $35 US or about £28 for those reading in the UK.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors