Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Reviews - The Pulse BF 80W Mod by Vandy Vape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s vape reviews. Today I will be going over everything you need to know about the Pulse BF 80w box mod by Vandy Vape. There has been a ton of hype (and drama) regarding this device and that is all thanks to their widely popular Pulse Box from last year. This squonker is essentially the Pulse Box, w/ an 80w Vandy Chip tucked inside. It maintains a small form factor, yet it packs in all the usual features we have come to know from modern regulated boards. Let’s get right to it and find out if all the hype is well deserved!

LrMaVBP.jpg

QBdj1mM.jpg

I always keep my reviews unbiased, but this was sent to me by Vandy Vape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

- 1 Pulse BF 80w Mod

- 1 8ml Squonk bottle

- 1 Micro USB cable

- 1 18650 adapter

- User manual and warranty card

- Available in Aurora Rainbow, Fantastic Blue, Carbon Fiber (silver and black), Lava Red, and Seaweed Green

4SFGTmz.jpg

FEATURES

One of the key features to the Pulse BF is that is features the new 80w Vandy Chip. This is a basic chipset, yet if offers several different modes of operations and is easy to navigate. Like the Pulse Box before it, this device utilizes a 20700 or 18650 (with adapter). It also features a small form factor, measuring in at 82mm H x 54mm D x 25.9mm W. The 8ml squonk bottle that comes with this device is hands down one of the best I have used. It is soft, has a nice capacity, and fitted with a great top cap.

XObykNH.jpg

ZHF2jBI.jpg

OPERATION

Operating this device is simple to navigate and becomes second nature after a short period of use. It looks very similar to the Gene chip (which it replaced) and has a lot of the same features of that as well. It is one of those devices where I just started clicking button combination and it all comes together and starts to make sense. Anyways…. here are the basic operations of this device.

- 5 clicks of the fire button will power on and power off the devices.

- 3 clicks of the fire button will cycle through all the modes.

- Wattage

- Temp control (ni, Ti, SS) 4 clicks of the fire button in these modes highlights the preheat wattage and can be adjusted from this point.

- Variable Voltage

- Bypass (applies all battery power to the coil)

- Pressing fire and the down button simultaneously will flip the orientation of the screen.

- Pressing fire and the up button simultaneously will lock out the entire device.

- Pressing the up and down buttons simultaneously will enter the menu system.

- DIY 1-5. This is a curves mode with 5 options. Once a setting is selected and the menu is exited, 3 clicks of the fire button will change the mode, and 4 clicks of the fire button will enter a bar graph style curves menu. It features 10 curve points, each point = 1 second.

- Ohm set – checks the resistance of the atomizer

- ID – Vandy chip #

- VER – firmware version #

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

Side by side with Pulse Box

oI461cx.jpg

ZCcSGFG.jpg

Side by side with RSQ

os7KWEp.jpg

NmfTaBB.jpg

Hand checks

o8xjuAy.jpg

Msn7A8h.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

The overall vape experience from this has been great. With an 80w max power I found it functions best with single coil rdas, but I pushed some dual builds with it as well. The squonk bottle has a nice feel to it and the 8ml of e liquid lasts a fair amount of time. Battery life from an Amp King 20700 edged out my Samsung 25R 18650s by just a hair, but with so many 20700s hitting the market I can see some seeing even better life than I witnessed. The battery area is MUCH better than it was on the original pulse box. They stay firmly in place but are easier to remove and I don’t for see too many people having battery wrap damage with this device.

nxJMjl2.jpg

mhg5O6Y.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

The hype preceded this device for months, and even amidst the Voopoo chaos, Vandy Vape pulled through and put together an excellent, compact, regulated squonker. At first, I didn’t like the cheaper feel of the plastic device, but the more I used it the more I liked it. It is just a solid design, and the chip worked well for me. I used it in wattage mode as that is my usual means of vaping and I feel as if it hits a little bit harder than what the setting is. I opted to pick up a set of blue doors (to match my recurve rda) and couldn’t be happier with how they look. I love using this device, and for the price that it is hitting the market I couldn’t tell anyone not to buy it. It is dollar for dollar one of the best devices in this price range.

PROS

- Compact design

- Nice design

- Buttons have a great clicky feel

- Lots of color options

- Squonk bottle has a great top cap for little to no mess during refills

- 18650 or 20700 batteries

- Very affordable

- Hits a bit harder than advertised

- Chip is easy to navigate and can be improved thanks to firmware upgrades in the future

- Removable back door helps with battery removal

- No rattles and doors fit firmly in place

CONS

- Light weight plastic feels a bit cheap (but the mod is cheap)

- I don’t like the 3 clicks of fire to cycle menus as it is firing the entire time you click through (maybe this will get changed in a future firmware upgrade)

- Carbon fiber door is thinner than resin and doesn’t sit as nice against the bottle

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Vandy Vape for sending it my way for review! If you are interested in picking one of these up, it can be found all over the net for about $50. For more information, head on over to the Vandy Vape site!

http://www.vandyvape.com/detail/Pulse_BF_80W_Box_Mod/

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
great review!
been eyeing to get one of these to start squonking but still on the fence.

VU Sponsors