Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Reviews - The Templar RDA by Augvape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s vape reviews. Today I will be going everything you need to know about the Templar rda by Augvape. This beautiful piece of hardware was kindly sent to me by the folks at Augvape for review.

IRTNjzE.jpg

INTRODUCTION

The Templar is the latest rda by Augvape. This time around they opted to make a smaller rda than some of their previous entries. It features a “velocity” clamp deck, which is designed to simulate lead installation like a typical velocity style screw deck but with the simplicity of turning one screw. It comes with a metal, adjustable air flow top cap and a clear plastic “snakebite” air flow top cap. It comes in the usual Augvape TUBE packaging with lots of O-rings and a BF pin for all you squonkers out there.

WHAT YOU GET

· One Augvape Templar RDA

· One Frosted Drip Cap

· One ULTEM Chamber Reducer

· Bottom Feed Pin

· One 510 Adapter

· Spare Part Pack

TuJEXNI.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

BUILD DECK

The Augvape comes with a clamp style deck, like what OBS did on their Crius rda. This deck features a non-conductive zirconia dioxide to separate the positive from the negative within the clamp itself. It has 4 holes just like a typical velocity style deck, so installing the coils is a breeze. EXCEPT…. I had a lot of conductivity issues with this setup. The top part of the clamp only contacts two points rather than a nice flat surface. It created hot spots with every build I attempted, and at times the coils wouldn’t heat up at all, except in the little portion within the top post. I consider this a huge flaw that cannot be overlooked. HOWEVER, there is a saving grace with this rda. Through some assistance of the forum, other users suggested installing both coil leads within the bottom holes. This takes some coil lead tweaking, but it is doable. I installed 26g/38g fused Claptons side by side in the coil opening and had great success with operation after this. The deck, clamp, and screw are beefy and durable, so it allows the user to really torque down on the coils for maximum conductivity. It comes with an Ultem chamber reducer for running a single coil. It has O-rings to keep it in place and works well for single coil use.

oYvSpqz.jpg

eLKYHI7.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

TOP CAPS AND AIR FLOW

The Templar comes with two top caps, one of machined metal and the other of frosted plastic. I typically used the machined metal cap because it looks excellent. The machining is spot on, and the fit of the cap is snug, but not too snug. Air flow is quite adjustable, with a step-down style which blocks off portions of the air flow hole by hole. The metal cap does eat up some build deck space, so the user must head on the side of caution and ensure the coils don’t short against the side of the cap. It comes with a short black Delrin 810 drip tip, but this could be swapped out for a 510 via the included adapter. The second cap is one piece frosted plastic bullet shaped cap. It has two “snake-bite” style air inlets in the same fashion as a Recoil rda. I don’t typically like clear caps of any sort because they look dirty and filled with condensation nonstop., however, the flavor that I get from this style air flow beats the metal cap handily. I wish that the metal cap had non-adjustable snake bite air flow like this plastic cap. A bonus is that it gives the user more room to build without worries of shorting to the side.

j72YMZA.jpg

YZdzFsg.jpg

SQUONKING

The rda comes with a flat head screw BF pin. Augvape did it right by not allowing the slot to go completely across the pin. This reduces the chance of juice filling up the 510 pin of the mod, so I give them a win on that. The deck is designed perfectly for squonking too if I might add. The juice comes up the pin, and shoots directly out the sides to where the juice via some squonking channels. The air flow is high enough where over squonking would be quite difficult, so it makes this rda a great addition for those squonk lovers out there.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Templar by Augvape is one of the prettiest rdas I have used. The machining of the metal top cap is done right, and it looks great on every mod I have installed it on. The overall build quality is solid, except for their botched attempt at the clamp system. It was highly frustrating to build on since it doesn’t work the way they intended. However, once a build is installed in the bottom holes only it has no problems with conductivity. The flavor from this rda is satisfactory, and gets a little bump from the frosted cap. I was hoping for a bit more flavor, but it is good enough for me. Due to the smaller chamber, I changed gears and ran a single coil w/ the chamber reducer installed. It works great on single battery squonkers and I don’t see myself going back to dual coil builds in it ever again. Right now, this rda has a permanent spot on one of my mechanical squonkers and showing no signs of this hitting my vape shelf. I really wish the clamp system would have worked as intended because building on it that way was a breeze. I can’t recommend this rda for a beginner because it takes some coil building experience to get them installed just right without being frustrated and chucking it across the room. Single coil mode is still easy with this clamp system because you don’t have to fight with the coil lead in the same hole. I still recommend this for it’s beauty and build options alone, but only if you are prepared to mess with the finicky build deck. The machining is just so nice, that I give them a pass on their build deck screw up.

If this hardly tickles your fancy, it can be picked up for $31.40 retail price, but has been found for cheaper. Vapor L is one of those places, but it is not in stock yet.

Thank you for reading this review and thank you to Augvape for supplying me with this rda to review!

Pizza Dave – real reviews, with no extra toppings

LAC686K.jpg

Last edited:

karacal

Member For 4 Years
That dripper has really caught my eye lately.
Thank you for taking the time to review this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors